TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CheesalaIsGood

The Da Vinci Code

I liked the music. But because of the fact I've read the book i found the whole movie to be horribly boring b/c I knew everything that was going to happen.

I am steadfastly not reading the book, nor watching the movie. I'll stick to Metal Gear Solid for my conspriacy theories.

I thought the movie was fun, i wasnt blown away by it but it was a good time. I think the church feels threatened by the movie because it protrays them as the bad guys a group of hungry and power driven men. Which is the way it used to be during the middle ages. It's funny how a work of fiction has gotten their panties all up in a bunch.

The movie was just fine. The critics that are ripping it to shreads are going way overboard. Probably a good thing that I hadn't read the book since I can imagine getting board if I knew exactly how it would play out.

I thought that

Paul Bettany was killed off way too early and Alfred Molina should have gotten some harsher punishment.

Could someone who's read it and seen it mention what they changed from the book?

I thought the movie was pretty good. I am curious how well some people will be able to follow the movie when they make mention of the Crusades and the Treaty of Ghent. I don't believe in what was taking place in the movie, but since the book is fiction, I was able to sit back and enjoy it.

I find it funny that critics don't like it. They complained that there was no action in it. Well they were chased by the police for awhile, so I am not sure what the complaint is. The other was that you had to sit and pay attention to what was going on. I thought that the critics would like that type of movie

Saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. I've never read the book before so I came in mostly ignorant regarding the plot. It certainly had a nice pace to it, I never found it boring or slowish. The music I particularly liked, and I saw the ending coming but only like 10-15 mins. beforehand.

The coverage that the religious groups gave this movie is certainly the kind of publicity you just can't buy. I'm sure the publicists and distributors just sat down and enjoyed the free advertising coming from all the supposed controversy and blasphemy. I took it as it was, a work of fiction that in no way made me question my beliefs or compromised my faith. Like Rogert Ebert said, maybe this'll give those people who said that a plane didn't crash on the Pentagon something else to think about.

And the best thing is I also got my THURSDAY night ticket for X3. Yeah!

This whole thing illustrates how far gone religious people are. "We'll ignore it's fiction and not presented as otherwise and condemn anyone who sees it, because it means they aren't a good _____." Protest groups are going to be at the theater here that's showing it. Almost makes me want to buy a ticket just for that.

I don't get how people supposedly so secure in their beliefs are getting so flustered by a fictitious book and movie. That would've been like me getting all up in arms when Star Wars was released.

"God did not make no Wookies!"

Religious people get threatened all the time. But since this is an OBVIOUS work of FICTION (even if the research behind it is valid) you really have to wonder a few things:

· If they really thought this was just fiction why are they so upset?

· Since they are so upset doesn’t that mean their faith isn’t as strong as they think it is?

· Why can’t they ever deal with the issues when people ask questions about their faith?

· If they can’t even deal to answer questions, doesn’t that make their motives suspect?

The way things are people around the world are going out to see this movie. If it forces people to ask questions of the church it is their own fault if they can’t or won’t answer them.

This post brought to you by Microsoft Word.

Guest adamsummers

the problem is, ppl with little to no faith are seeing this movie and believing it to be true... in England, over 60% of CHRISTIANS have changed their beliefs cause of this book and now the movie... thats horrible.

i agree, its fiction but from a religious view, to wanting ppl to get saved and love Jesus and believe the Bible... this movie can really screw ppl up with weak faith IF they dont go into it seeing it as fiction.

Saw this yesterday and it was fine. I'd rate it 3 out of 4 stars, solid B grade movie. It's not for everyone and I can see how it would bore some people. I found it to be pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. It's sort of plays out like "National Treasure", but less hokey and a little more serious.

And for the record, I didn't read the book

Or how simple their minds are, I mean all you need to do is conduct your own research in the subject. Some of the stuff that is contained here and also in Holy Blood Holy Grail are based on true research but none of it has been able to be proven. Why cant everybody just look into it. Instead they believe everything the media feeds them.

Just saw it last night, without reading the book. Tom Hanks didn't have one of the best performances of his career or anything, but I still liked the movie a lot. I'd give it 8.5/10.

I've gotta see this movie, just to see if it sucks or not, with all these different opinions and reviews I've read.

But hell, I like anything with Tom Hanks for the most part.

pretty much every reaction i've seen or heard to the film has ranged from "meh" to "pretty entertaining, nothing fabulous, 7 or 8 outta 10". So what exactly were the critics ripping it for? It really seems like these critics just didn't like the whole 'da vinci code phenomenon' to begin with before even seeing the movie.

No, no. Movie Critics would never do that, homey.

My brother is my authority on movies (I'm his on music) and he recommended it.

Of course, he's been studying the whole Da Vinci Code thing for a while, so he probably got more out of it then most.

But I have seen a lot of good reviews since it came out, compared to the bad ones from before it premiered.

I agree with Dangerous A. I got the National Treasure vibe too.

National Treasure was made to cash in on the early Da Vinci Code fever that came from the book. Preferred Cage to Hanks as well.

the problem is, ppl with little to no faith are seeing this movie and believing it to be true... in England, over 60% of CHRISTIANS have changed their beliefs cause of this book and now the movie... thats horrible.

i agree, its fiction but from a religious view, to wanting ppl to get saved and love Jesus and believe the Bible... this movie can really screw ppl up with weak faith IF they dont go into it seeing it as fiction.

Oh man, that's humour right there. I'm a Christian with not so strong faith, but the most this movie/book made me think was "Wow, that would be interesting if Jesus was married and had kids."

And I don't think it's the media's obligation to make sure idiots don't change their faith (which in theory, is one of the more significant thing in one's life) because of a peice of fiction. And if I'm the Catholic Church, I'm not sure I'd even want followers who are so easily influenced from an obviously jaded (former?) Christian. It's an enjoyable book/movie, but hardly groundbreaking enough to change one's faith. I think that the 60% who let The Davinci Code change their entire belief system are just as gullible as the followers of Scientology, to be honest. Maybe I should write a book based on Peter being crucified on an upside down cross not in respect of Jesus, but to defy him, thus the whole pope lineage is flawed? Hmmm, would it sell guys? Could I convince the rest of the 40% on Christian English that the Christian religion is just a sham?

WHAT?!?!?!?!

I saw this over the weekend. I thought it was okay, a little slow in parts but generally good.

The funny thing was that the guy sitting behind us on a couple of occasions said things like "oh, I get it now", and "wow, I didn't know that" which lead me to believe he was taking it as fact.

I liked Audrey Tatou and Ian McKellen. That's about it. The rest of it was popcorn fare, which is not my cup of tea. I liked it better than the book, which I thought was a bore. I guess knowing how things would play out in advance made it more tolerable.

And before you ask, it was a birthday gift for my wife. Plus we got to see it AND X-Men 3 for $5 total. Can't beat that.

WHAT?!?!?!?!

My thoughts exactly.

The movie was entertaining enough (from the perspective of someone who never read the book), but I thought it ended up being very predictable (you could see the betrayals and major plot twists coming a mile away, I figured out the code to the vial about 30 minutes before the characters did) and dopey (the claustrophobia storyline).

The history, especially with regards to timing, was shoddy at best. For example, the movie explains that the Inquistion starts soon after Nicea. I don't consider 800 years to be 'soon', but maybe that's just me. As far as the story goes, I don't care too much about historical accuracy, but you'd have to be a complete idiot to see this as anything but fiction.