TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Marvel's Civil War

Yeah. The conversations with Hank Pym took the cake, though.

"And here I am, seemingly the only one who can discern right and wrong. Watching Reed Richards drill a hole in an evil Thor clone's head. Damn."

That cracked me up.

Just read an interview with Millar over at Newsarama, and it's pretty bad.

Two standout quotes:

Mark Millar: Yeah, I had Thor pegged since the beginning for the simple reason that I wanted to see him in this book.

Rather than it would make sense?

MM: Morally, it's a slightly different story because, in their hearts, the heroes don't see the anti-reg guys as criminals. They used to send them Christmas cards or just hang out with them. Morally, it's very complex and that's what this issue and the remaining issues in the series are about.

The parody was not only funny, but it was spot-on. They created a Thor clone, were drilling his head, and then they hired ridiculously evil characters like Bullseye to help them.

Morally, it's very complex. It makes you wonder: Should I hate Tony for cloning Thor? Or attacking Peter and his family? Or how about despising him for sending his former friends to the Negative Zone?

I mean, that's three choices right there. Doesn't get much more complex than that.

Edited by Justice

Morally, it's very complex. It makes you wonder: Should I hate Tony for cloning Thor? Or attacking Peter and his family? Or how about despising him for sending his former friends to the Negative Zone?

I mean, that's three choices right there. Doesn't get much more complex than that.

This is what I call the "Oliver Stone school of writing", although it applies to Vince Russo as well.

The theory behind the school is "If you can't decide what to do, throw all kinds of shit up that you think would be cool and pretend it makes sense."

I call it the Stone school after listening to Stone's commentary on Natural Born Killers trying to explain what certain things meant and pretending to be deep.'

It isn't a stretch with THAT particular crew to say that it was the equivilent of a bunch of monkeys hopped up on acid filming for 3 months.

Damn, I sure hope there's somebody else here with the mutant power to shoot guns.

I miss your hot girl shurgging picture.

Damn, I sure hope there's somebody else here with the mutant power to shoot guns.

onewgirljimfaceyb0.gif

onewgirljimfaceyb0.gif

Thats better.

So I picked up the new Fantasic Four tie-in today and it confirms a few things here and there. I also picked up the new Captain America that I guess came out last week that the comic shop didn't have, Red Skull is now involved and some random guy in a beard who I don't know.

Red Skull is now involved and some random guy in a beard who I don't know

Dr. Faustus is an old enemy of Captain America, that relies on head games or using pawns. I was under the impression that Nomad blew his brains out.

onewgirljimfaceyb0.gif

Thats better.

So I picked up the new Fantasic Four tie-in today and it confirms a few things here and there. I also picked up the new Captain America that I guess came out last week that the comic shop didn't have, Red Skull is now involved and some random guy in a beard who I don't know.

Both the Cap/FF tie-ins were huge fucking jokes for different reasons:

The Cap issue is utterly skipable, since Brubaker and Millar are politically on opposite ends of the Marvel Bullpen (mainly, Brubaker wanting to keep Millar from fucking up his storyline plans for Cap in his own book) and as such, the Cap tie-in had jack shit to do with Civil War and more to do with setting up the return of Dr. Faustus.

The FF book was utterly unreadable, especially if you read ASM this month......

onewgirljimfaceyb0.gif

Thats better.

The Cap issue is utterly skipable, since Brubaker and Millar are politically on opposite ends of the Marvel Bullpen (mainly, Brubaker wanting to keep Millar from fucking up his storyline plans for Cap in his own book) and as such, the Cap tie-in had jack shit to do with Civil War and more to do with setting up the return of Dr. Faustus.

I agree with you about the Cap issue, the only thing that was civil war related was the girl he was seeing talking to the therapist about what has happen so far. The FF comic was ok, it set a good tone for me and that was sorta of a dark tone with a light said of "I feel sorry for you" kinda mood. Though I think the only points of the FF comic was just to confirm that The Thing was leaving the country, that Sue and Reed were seperating, and that Iron Man was ease dropping on Spiderman.

You guys are just keeping the quoting going so you can see my girl over and over.

Yeah so!

onewgirljimfaceyb0.gif

Thats better.

I agree with you about the Cap issue, the only thing that was civil war related was the girl he was seeing talking to the therapist about what has happen so far. The FF comic was ok, it set a good tone for me and that was sorta of a dark tone with a light said of "I feel sorry for you" kinda mood. Though I think the only points of the FF comic was just to confirm that The Thing was leaving the country, that Sue and Reed were seperating, and that Iron Man was ease dropping on Spiderman.

That's the thing I hate about Marvel doing these giant "status quo changing" crossovers so frequently. The writers of the monthly books don't get a chance to develop any long running storylines. They start getting a good run going and then they have to spend months in crossovers and now it seems like every book needs to spend issues after the big crossovers dealing with the "world shattering fallout" of the big crossover. Brubaker's Captain America run was doing awesome with the slow burn with the Winter Soldier stuff and the Red Skull stuff and it just seems like Civil War is annoyingly interrupting.

who is that anyway? I recognize her, but can't put a name to her for the life of me...

She's a new character on "The Office" is all I know.

It's Karen, one of the new characters of The Office, doing an almost perfect imitation of Jim's "camera face".

Oh yeah, Civil War. Uh, I'M WITH HALPERT.

Her real name is Rashida Jones. The only other thng I've ever seen her in was "Boston Public."

that's where I recognized her from...the principal's secretary.

I read Frontline #7 today and for those who don't know in #6, Speedball was shot by someone while he and She-hulk was on their way to a congressional hearing. Frontline #7 pretty much covered what happen to Speedball after he was shot and now without really telling what happen, Speedball is either dead or has his powers back and the Green Goblin pumpkin bombed the hell out of this building that was full of Namor's people and Wonderman. The intresting about this is that Wonderman was scoping the buidling out and asked for back up when he realized that it was full of Namor's people (sorry, I have no clue how to spell their race correctly.) and when he saw someone flying toward the building, he asked who was sent and was told that his backup was still 9 minutes away and thats when Wonderman reazlied it was Goblin and then was told that Goblin was not the backup. Then Goblin bombed the hell out everyone.

You forgot to cover the meeting Norman Osborn had with someone, who gave him a drug to surpress the trackers on him, making him "do good".

They sort of silhuetted (sp?) the guys face too, so it sort of looks like a mustache, possibly making it tony, but probably just one of the company execs, like the one wolverine's after in his civil war books.

Wolverine's storyline is semi-interesting. Damage Control fueling these sorts of things actually makes a bit of sense (and I'm surprised it was never done before).

You forgot to cover the meeting Norman Osborn had with someone, who gave him a drug to surpress the trackers on him, making him "do good".

They sort of silhuetted (sp?) the guys face too, so it sort of looks like a mustache, possibly making it tony, but probably just one of the company execs, like the one wolverine's after in his civil war books.

I actually didn't forget, I just didn't wanna tell people that. I wanted them to read Frontline.

Did anyone else read the abortion that was the latest issue of Fantastic Four (#540)?

NOT ONLY did they do a seperate version of the Reed/Sue break-up, which cannot in any way be reconciled with the events of Civil War #4, but Reed has suddenly turned into Richard Nixon.

Suddenly Reed favors blind obedience to the law just because its the law?

The guy who once took over Latveria in violation of international law to keep Dr. Doom's weapons out of the hands of the world's governments?

The guy who just got done fighting the U.S. Army to keep them from duplicating his famous rocket trip?

THAT Reed Richards?

Did anyone else read the abortion that was the latest issue of Fantastic Four (#540)?

NOT ONLY did they do a seperate version of the Reed/Sue break-up, which cannot in any way be reconciled with the events of Civil War #4, but Reed has suddenly turned into Richard Nixon.

Suddenly Reed favors blind obedience to the law just because its the law?

The guy who once took over Latveria in violation of international law to keep Dr. Doom's weapons out of the hands of the world's governments?

The guy who just got done fighting the U.S. Army to keep them from duplicating his famous rocket trip?

THAT Reed Richards?

1. According to the spineless little shit of a human being that is Tom Breevort, FF #540 takes inbetween pages of Civil War #4, before Sue left Reed in #4, meaning that after her argument/departure in FF #540, Sue came back, fucked her husband, and made him a nice meal before leaving him.

2. Are you actually reading Civil War? Reed's basically working with Tony simply because he's batshit scared that Tony and the Government will crush him and the rest of the FF like a bug; let alone the fact that Civil War Frontline has shown that Reed's got his own agenda going on, in terms of allying himself with McCohn Jain and wanting to get Iron Nazi to stop enforcing the Reg Act in the most evil, Hitler-esque way Iron Man is carrying it out.