TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

OAO WrestleMania 22 thread - 4/2/06

I don't know if any of you care, but sportstalkNETWORK.com is doing an all day show, as well as a WM post-game show that you can either listen to or watch, and it's free. From PWInsider:

http://sportstalknetwork.com/

Today Sportstalknetwork.com presents a wrestling show of mammoth proportions with our Wrestlemania 8 hr marathon edition of Sunday Night Submission with RYAN WARD, KYLE ROSS & PAUL BELFI on sportstalkNETWORK.com starting at 11am Eastern.

TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION INCLUDE:

-We look back at all previous 21 Wrestlemania's with show analysis consisting of the "overrated, underrated and obscure" matches, facts and figures

- We get into the spirit of Mania with our version of role play called "Superstar Speculate" where we become one of WWE's brightest stars and share "our" thoughts about tonight's event and maybe where we should've ended up on the card instead

- All the latest news and notes concerning tonight's event and what went down last night at the 2006 HOF induction ceremony

-We will also be joined this afternoon at about 1pm eastern by PWInsider.com's own BUCK WOODWARD for his latest scoops and thoughts heading into tonight's show

-Our own version of a WWE fantasy draft will also take place this afternoon!!!

INTERVIEWS WITH CURRENT AND PAST WRESTLEMANIA PARTICIPANTS

EDGE, REY MYSTERIO, AL SNOW, PAUL BEARER, BILLY GUNN AND MORE DISCUSS WRESTLEMANIA AND VARIOUS OTHER TOPICS AND SOME COMMENTS HAVE TO BE HEARD TO BE BELIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll also have various other members of the STN staff on hand to share their opinions of tonight's event including PRO WRESTLING INSIDER'S own MIKE PTAK

It all starts today at 11am eastern on sportstalkNETWORK.com!!!!!

GET INTERACTIVE

Call The Show - 1.866.219.0082 National toll-free

eMail The Show - [email protected]

NEW LINK - Listen To The Show - mms://wm9.global.synccast.com/sportstalk/live02

NEW LINK - Watch The Show - mms://wm9.global.synccast.com/sportstalk/live01

Talk About The Show - http://www.sportstalknetwork.com/forum/

STN Chat Room - http://www.sportstalknetwork.com/cht/main.php

Since the show is just a little over 28 hours away, and it is the biggest show of the year, I figured it would be fine to go ahead and start this thread.

A few quick notes:

-Sunday, April 2, 2006 7pmET * 4pmPT Chicago, Illinois

-WrestleMania 22 Press Conference

-There will be a WrestleMania post-game show on WWE.com

The biggest event of the year can’t be contained by its four-hour pay-per-view time limit. Immediately after WrestleMania goes off the air, WWE.com will pick up the extravaganza with the live post-game show.

The WrestleMania post-game show, which will be hosted by RAW and SmackDown announcers, will feature live Superstar interviews, highlights and more. Superstars wait their entire lives for a chance to shine on the WrestleMania stage. What will WWE’s biggest stars say when the marquee matches come to an end — and their hopes and dreams are realized … or dashed before their eyes? Find out Sunday night on the WrestleMania post-game show, presented by "The Benchwarmers."

And here is the final card, not counting whatever matche(s) they include on the pre-show:

20060222_wm22_cenahhh.jpg

20060222_wm22_ttm2.jpg

20060227_wm22_vincehbk2.jpg

20060324_wm22_moneybankladd1.jpg

20060310wm22casketmatch.jpg

20060306_wm22_edgefoleyhard1.jpg

20060303_wm22_uschamp.jpg

20060306_wm22_worldtagteam.jpg

20060320_wm22_womenchamp1.jpg

20060318_wm22_boogeymanbook2.jpg

20060320_wm22_pillowfight.jpg

Hmm, pay $50 to see maybe 1 or 2 good matches, or watch the TUF 2 Finals on SPIKE for free and see 3 awesome fights, any one being guaranteed to be better than the best match on the WM card.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

At least they aren't plugging this as the greatest Mania of all-time, which they've done for the past 21 years...at least not plugging it yet.

It's kind of unfortunate I'm more excited about the Hall of Fame, the night after Mania on RAW with Hogan/Austin, then Wrestlemania 23 at Ford Field.

Well that's because JR hasn't been announcing week after week :)

The HOF at least has a sense of unpredictability. I won't believe that Bret Hart is there until he shows up on stage, and I won't believe that Shawn and Vince won't fuck him over until it's over. They were trying to build that unpredictability with Vince/Shawns match, but they've done so many cliched shit with it that that it doesn't have that freshness and excitement to it. The most unpredictable match is the Smackdown 3 way and even then it is like, "so what?", they've buried those 3 and Smackdown so much that it's not important.

--As far as what is going to happen at Mania, just yesterday alone, they changed major match results and finishes five times. It was crazy as Vince just kept changing his mind and the indecisiveness has made any post-Mania planning almost impossible. People involved are "losing their minds" as stressful as it has become.

From Meltzer's latest update.

My thoughts:

HHH vs. Cena

I'd love to see a double-turn, where if the crowd starts ripping Cena he just flips out and bludgeons HHH with a chair or something. All the while he can be screaming at the fans something along the lines of "boo me now." That said, Trips will win and destroy the spinner belt

Money in the Bank

This is the only thing I'm relatively excited about. Not for the unpredictablity of the winner (RVD), but the potential spots that the participants are capable of. Far and away will be the best of the night.

Orton vs. Angle vs. Mysterio

Rey has to win. Has to. There is no way around it. With the HOF honoring Eddie there is no point to have him not win, especially considering that he is still pretty over despite what the bookers have thrown at him.

HBK vs. McMahon

Stupid fued that will have an overbooked climax involving run-ins with everybody from Jannetty, Hogan, Shane, Stephanie, Koko B. Ware, Duke Droese, Kenzo, Sylvan, Nash, Chyna, Jim Niedhart, Dan Severn and Earl Hebner. That said there is no way in hell Bret will show up.

Edge vs. Foley

Another stupid fued that will have a slightly less overbooked match. There will be blood and both will take a big bump and that's all anybody with any sense can anticipate.

Taker vs. Henry

No, Taker, you can't have a workrate match at WrestleMania. But you can have another win.

Benoit vs. JBL

Has alot of potential to be a nice old school-type match. Both have a very good sense of psychology. While MiTB will steal the show with spectacle, I hope this can be the actual MOTN.

Booker/Sharmell vs. Boogeyman

I don't understand why Booker and Sharmell were so upset over the handicap match stipulation. Why can't Booker just not tag her in, and if it's under texas tornado rules, can't Sharmell just stay on the apron and out of harm's way? Oh well, Boogeyman wins.

Show/Kane vs. Carlito/Masters

I like both Carlito and Masters. Not the best in the ring, but both have a decent amount of charisma that can facilitate nice chemistry between eachother during the match. I'm just upset that these are the guys the E is banking on being the draws of the future, what with their lame and outdated gimmicks.

Trish vs. Mickie

Best booked fued in a goddamn long time. I've never been interested in a women's match before and this is no different, but at least the girls play their part right. Mickie wins.

in conclusion, its a terrible shame MNM have been left off the card. A quickie fued with London/Kendrick could've been developed as early as 3 weeks ago and end with an excellent match at Mania, but I digress.

-Cheex

At least they aren't plugging this as the greatest Mania of all-time, which they've done for the past 21 years...at least not plugging it yet.

I bet they'll say that at the end of show! They can't help themselves!

--As far as what is going to happen at Mania, just yesterday alone, they changed major match results and finishes five times. It was crazy as Vince just kept changing his mind and the indecisiveness has made any post-Mania planning almost impossible. People involved are "losing their minds" as stressful as it has become.

Wrestlemania 22: Where is all falls apart!

As if we didn't need further indication that the company is turning into WCW.

I bet I know ONE finish that won't be getting flip-flopped on at the last second...

My uncle is ordereing it and invited me, otherwise I would have no way to see it. not tha tthe card is exciting but it is mania so it always has a speical feel for a wrestling fan

besides something exciting has to happen right

Anyone else hoping WWE actually has some continuity and has Booker T have his own Gold Colored Freak come out to help him beat Boogeyman?

My thoughts:

WWE Championship

HHH vs. John Cena

Its a lose lose situation here. Cena has never lost at Wrestlemania and needs this win more than HHH does since you know he's mainevented 5 Wrestlemanias already (16, 18, 19, 20, 21) and went over in three of them and Cena was made to be a strong champion over the past year by beating JBL, Christian, Hassan, Jericho, Michaels, Angle, and Edge so for him to come up short against Hunter will have made that work be done for nothing. The trouble is everybody hates Cena and even if they booked this build-up the absolute best way, Cena would get shitted on regardless because we all know how unforgiving the Chicago crowd is. And HHH is the challenger heading in and I don't see him losing 3 Wrestlemanias in a row. Its kind of sad when the match I'm looking forward to the most is the one everybody is going to hate. :(

Thriple Threat Match For The World Heavyweight Title

Randy Orton vs. Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio

Sadly, the best thing to happen and I think everybody can agree with me here is Angle retaining. And unfortunately, its not happening. Not in my eyes. Mysterio winning is great and all, but just for the ending so they can add it to Wrestlemania Rollback collection of feel good memories. Lets be realistic here, I don't see him having a long / decent run with the title simply because its Mysterio and a token run doesn't do anybody a favor. After 17 months since being fucked over, I hope Orton wins because IMO he deserves to be the World Heavyweight Title more than Rey does.

Interpromotional Money in the Bank Match

RVD Vs. Shelton Benjamin Vs. Ric Flair Vs. Matt Hardy Vs. Lashley Vs. Finlay

By all rights, RVD should win, but of course I think they're going to have Flair go over.

No Holds Barred

Shawn Michaels vs. Vince McMahon

I guess we should have seen this match coming since it was first teased at Wrestlemania 15, but Michaels can bleed like a stuck pig and flop around the ring like a dying fish all he wants and the match is not even going to come close to the classic match that was Hogan Vs. McMahon a few years ago. Why? Because that match had TWENTY years of build-up to it and it blew everybody's expectations away. I just find it funny the whole reason for this match happening is over Bret. Michaels wins after overcoming the odds once more!

Hardcore Match

Edge vs. Mick Foley

Ah, it feels like only yesterday when the good old days of seeing E & C bicker with Foley in the Commissioner office. Should be a good match.

Casket Match

The Undertaker vs. Mark Henry

Piss break for me.

United States Championship

Chris Benoit vs. John Bradshaw Layfield

Hard to call this one, I don't see Benoit losing the title a month after getting it right back, but JBL is one of the most protected men on SD (if you forget the terrible Boogeyman fiasco. of course). I'd like to see Benoit retain though since he's never beaten JBL yet as far as I know.

Handicapped Match

Booker T & Sharmell vs. The Boogeyman

Hopefully, it will be a squash match and nothing more than that.

World Tag Titles

The Big Show & Kane vs. Carlito & Masters

I've never been a Carlito fan, but Masters has grown on me and the fans seem to like them so I hope the new guys pull the win.

Womens Championship

Trish Stratus vs. Mickie James

End the joke of a 14 reign that is Trish's run already, Micke!

in conclusion, its a terrible shame MNM have been left off the card.

Here here.

In short, this Wrestlemania will be decent if not forgettable at best and mostly be just like WM 13, nothing but one or two matches that will stick out to be remembered. If HHH AND Mysterio come out as the winners, I won't have any love for this show, believe that.

That Meltzer update was yesterday on April Fools, I bet it's not true. I have nothing to do, I'm bored, so I'll just go by every match and rant.

WWE Championship

Triple H vs. John Cena

Whether you like it or not Cena is the hottest thing in the WWE right now. He's loved in the media, he has been on tons of TV shows. He has a pretty large fanbase and they buy every piece of Cena merchandise they can get. Cena also has a lot of haters. He gets the loudest boos in the WWE today and he's not even a Heel. I don't know if it's smart to turn Cena heel because when he really does turn Heel the haters won't boo as much anymore because it's not the face Cena character anymore. When you watch a Cena match you might be bored by the match itself but the crowd is always nuts during his matches and it really adds to a contest. People say Cena is better as a guy that chases the title but why though? That mostly works for a Face but Cena is a Tweener now and I think the WWE has accepted that. Cena/HHH is the perfect feud for Cena because he can still play a Face but he knows when the fans boo em they'll cheer HHH because HHH still has a big fanbase as well. I don't see the crowd cheer for Kane against Cena to be honest. In the Backlash ad Cena says he'll take back what is his, that points to HHH winning at 'Mania, BUT Vince makes up his mind a lot. If HHH beats Cena tonight, Cena will look like a complete tool because this whole feud is about how bad Cena is and how good HHH is. As much as I'd like to see HHH win the belt again, I think they should let Cena retain. Let Cena suck up all the boos. At Backlash HHH beats Cena and Cena takes a step back from the belt for a while. I just hope that when HHH wins the title he doesn't go on a burying spree again. I like HHH lately, I prefer him as champ over Cena now unless HHH starts cutting 20 minute promos again when he's champ. A HHH/Mysterio feud going into Summerslam would rock.

World Heavyweight Championship

Randy Orton vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Kurt Angle

Biggest pop of the night might actually be Angle retaining the title but there is no way the WWE will do that. If Cena retains, Vince will probably think they NEED to have the title change hands, it's a goddamn WWE law. IMO it would be fresh and smart to let both champions retain because they both haven't had the title long (you can say Cena held it all year but Edge was champ as well). They almost have to let Mysterio win this match because Orton beat him, Angle beat him, so if he loses tonight he's once again just a midcarder that is different because of his size. This match will make or break Rey Rey. Hopefully the crowd won't shit on Mysterio (I think they kinda will) and he gets a good celebration. Orton should NOT and will not win this match. A Heel winning a title at 'Mania? HHH/Cena is Tweener versus Tweener. They just can't afford to have a Heel win this match and the winner of HHH/Cena will no matter what be a Heel anyways so that means two Heels win at 'Mania, no way. Mysterio walks out champion. Gets defeated by Kane at Judgment Day, then gets drafted to RAW where he feuds with HHH.

Interpromotional Money in the Bank Match

RVD Vs. Shelton Benjamin Vs. Ric Flair Vs. Matt Hardy Vs. Lashley Vs. Finlay

Everybody except Matt Hardy and Ric Flair may win this IMO. Hardy is just boring lately and Flair is way too old. It's not credible to have him win a damn Ladder match. Don't get me wrong I would love to have Flair win the World Title again and then lose it again the other night or something weird like that but the guy is just too old. RVD should win this because he deserves it but I'm afraid we will never see RVD win the WWE Title. Shelton is one of my favorite wrestlers so he can win. Lashley is on a roll lately but I guess he needs to finish his awesome feud with Finlay first. It's not time for Lashley yet to get a WWE Title shot. I would mark out if Finlay wins, he's just great but he's already in a feud. I hope they play the Lashley/Finlay feud up in the match. They should brawl away and then Hardy does a crazy bump, Benjamin steals the show but eventually fucks up a move so it's down to RVD and Flair.

No Holds Barred

Shawn Michaels vs. Vince McMahon

How can Vince NOT lose this match? Horrible build-up to this match. They've shoved it down our throats and it didn't taste good. HBK could have been in a Interpromotional match with Randy Orton or something but nooooo, Vince wanted to have a match. It'll be a entertaining contest but nothing special. HBK wins ofcourse.

Hardcore

Edge vs. Mick Foley

It'll be a crazy match but there is no way Foley should win. I can see Foley winning, sadly enough. Edge is the best Heel in the WWE today, he deserves to win at 'Mania.

Casket

Mark Henry vs. The Undertaker

Why would Henry win this match? Unless they plan to make Henry the champion anytime soon Taker will win this.

United States Championship

Chris Benoit vs. John Bradshaw Layfield

Hopefully JBL wins, it would be refreshing. JBL is great as a champion, Benoit is bland as a champion. Benoit has been boring the last couple of months, JBL as always has been funny and entertaining. JBL wins the match so they can carry on their feud. Maybe MOTN, looking forward to seeing JBL with the US Title. Of course there is a chance Benoit retains so give the fans a feel good moment (this probs will be the opener).

Booker T & Sharmell vs. Boogeyman

The Boogeyman is injured so this will be quick, hopefully this means a match like the MitB or JBL/Benoit gets more minutes. Boogeyman is on a roll so he can't afford to lose. BUT on the other hand The Boogeyman will take time off after 'Mania because of his injury so maybe the Bookerman beats the Boogeyman by cheating.

World Tag Titles

Kane & Big Show vs. Masters & Carlito

Most people are not looking forward to this match, I am though. It would be cool to see Carlito and Masters with the tag titles but I wonder who they can feud with. This should be the opener but it probably won't be. I think Kane and Show retain if JBL wins, they might get beat by Masters and Carlito the next day on RAW though.

Women's Title

Trish vs. Mickie

Good feud, Mickie should win because what else can she do if Trish retains.

They could have thrown in MNM vs. Mexicools, would have been an awesome opener.

Also I think we will see Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, Ken Kennedy and maybe even Arn Anderson (backstage pumping up Flair) tonight. The place would erupt if Bret Hart showed up but I doubt it. Also I want Ted DiBiase to show up in character :D

Wow, guys, I'm impressed. No one has posted the obligatory "I totally forgot there's a PPV this weekend (because I hate WWE and I'm a liar)" statement yet.

Im gonna order it. I've wasted 50 bucks before and got even less out of it...

I think I might at least get 3 decent matches out of it (Triple Threat, MITB and Edge/Foley). Maybe 4 if Benoit/JBL is decent but I doubt they'll give it enough time. The only legit stinkers I see are the Boogeyman crap (which if he is hurt might be limited in time anyway) and the stupid Pillowfight thing.

Here goes, my quick picks

HHH/Cena-Cena should win, despite the hate cuz HHH as champ helps no one, unless he helps elevate RVD (lmao) it all depends when the match happens, if it is on last, Cena wins, if before the sd match, HHH wins

Angle/Rey/Orton-see above

MITB-Shelton (I'm gonna go on a limb here, since I think he can use the win the most to help rebuild his cred)

Boogey-BookerMell-Goldust appearance would be great, but ill just say Boogey beats sharmell to keep booker form jobbing here

Kane/Show vs the mastercools (hehe)- Kane/Show since show is 0-6 at Mania and deserves a win, Kane hasn't won at mania since 17 so its been awhile

Trish/Mickie-I don't know why but I see Trish retaining by DQ, so they can have a NHB rematch at Backlash

Edge/Cactus-Edge (but Mick finally takes a WM worthy bump to remember)

Benoit/JBL- JBL (I figure he's due for a title run and at least it's not the world title this time so the haters wont be too mad)

shawn/vince- Vince might get a screwy win here, so I'll take the less traveled road and say he wins to shock us all

Taker/Henry-as if I really need to answer this,it's a no-brainer, Henry wins (Too bad for him ITS OPPOSITE DAY!!!!) Duh the deadman goes 14-0

Torrie/Candice-WHY? Uh how do you win this? Probably a pin so I'll say Candi steals it.

Torrie/Candice-WHY?

I, too, have asked myself that very question!

You have to drain the lizard sometime during the PPV don't you?

Torrie/Candice-WHY? Uh how do you win this? Probably a pin so I'll say Candi steals it.

Pinfall, I think. XIX had something like it, I believe.

Either that, or fill your opponent's humilation gauge like in SVR2k6. :P

Some of my first memories of wrestling was Wrestlemania 2 so I consider this my 20th anniversary as a fan. One Hell of a card to show for it, huh?

Some of my first memories of wrestling was Wrestlemania 2 so I consider this my 20th anniversary as a fan. One Hell of a card to show for it, huh?

It's fitting, though. Both bad shows with weak cards and one good worthwhile match that took place in Chicago.

You came full-circle.

It's fitting, though. Both bad shows with weak cards and one good worthwhile match that took place in Chicago.

You came full-circle.

They should have tried to play off WM2. They should have some type of battle royal tonight to get the entire roster on the show and they should have broke out the big blue cage for a match.

I don't know if any of you care, but sportstalkNETWORK.com is doing an all day show, as well as a WM post-game show that you can either listen to or watch, and it's free. From PWInsider:

http://sportstalknetwork.com/

Today Sportstalknetwork.com presents a wrestling show of mammoth proportions with our Wrestlemania 8 hr marathon edition of Sunday Night Submission with RYAN WARD, KYLE ROSS & PAUL BELFI on sportstalkNETWORK.com starting at 11am Eastern.

TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION INCLUDE:

-We look back at all previous 21 Wrestlemania's with show analysis consisting of the "overrated, underrated and obscure" matches, facts and figures

- We get into the spirit of Mania with our version of role play called "Superstar Speculate" where we become one of WWE's brightest stars and share "our" thoughts about tonight's event and maybe where we should've ended up on the card instead

- All the latest news and notes concerning tonight's event and what went down last night at the 2006 HOF induction ceremony

-We will also be joined this afternoon at about 1pm eastern by PWInsider.com's own BUCK WOODWARD for his latest scoops and thoughts heading into tonight's show

-Our own version of a WWE fantasy draft will also take place this afternoon!!!

INTERVIEWS WITH CURRENT AND PAST WRESTLEMANIA PARTICIPANTS

EDGE, REY MYSTERIO, AL SNOW, PAUL BEARER, BILLY GUNN AND MORE DISCUSS WRESTLEMANIA AND VARIOUS OTHER TOPICS AND SOME COMMENTS HAVE TO BE HEARD TO BE BELIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll also have various other members of the STN staff on hand to share their opinions of tonight's event including PRO WRESTLING INSIDER'S own MIKE PTAK

It all starts today at 11am eastern on sportstalkNETWORK.com!!!!!

GET INTERACTIVE

Call The Show - 1.866.219.0082 National toll-free

eMail The Show - [email protected]

NEW LINK - Listen To The Show - mms://wm9.global.synccast.com/sportstalk/live02

NEW LINK - Watch The Show - mms://wm9.global.synccast.com/sportstalk/live01

Talk About The Show - http://www.sportstalknetwork.com/forum/

STN Chat Room - http://www.sportstalknetwork.com/cht/main.php

So for those deluded people who still care about this event, does anyone do any 'pre-show' stuff? Like watch past WM's leading up to this? I remember leading up to WMXX, that i was pretty excited about it and I watched WM X to XIX from saturday to 45 minutes before WMXX straight.

I watched a little of WMXXI this morning but I wasn't interested in it. I'm going to order tonight's show, but I just dont care about it really. Some might call it a waste of $, but really $50 isn't much in the long run.

My heart will smile at Cena's reaction from the crowd.

I'm looking more forward to seeing how certain things get fucked up by the crowd:

-How will the fans react if Bret Hart doestn't take part in the Vince/HBK match?

-How will the fans react to Randy Orton, and that match overall?

-How badly will Cena be booed? Will Cena and HHH play the match straight up with Cena as face and HHH as heel or will they go along with the fans? Will WWE do a double turn to go along with the crowd tonight?

The only think I'll do today is listen to that radio show off and on throughout the day.

WM13 was my first PPV that I ever ordered and I liked it. This maybe one of those sleeper cards.

As for winners, they'll probaby change who winning the matches last minute.

I think HHH, Orton, Foley, UT, RVD, Mr. T, and Trish will win.

Oh and Carlito and Masters will lose. I think I got all of them except for the ME.

This is a longshot................. Bret beats Vince and Shawn or Vince wins via screwjob.