TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

OAO WrestleMania 22 thread - 4/2/06

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

He and Eddy were Amigos.... being mexican was a huge part of the deal

He was greeted by 2c fellow hispanics post match and wears the colors of mexico on his mask and tights very frequently

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

Your point fucking sucked. I was trying to be polite. You cannot rationalize him wearing that get up based on this feud. Nothing Hunter has done or said in the last month has made me think "he may show up dressed like a lunatic He said Cena wasn't good enough. He said that about everyone he's ever feuded with. He never dressed like that before. When Booker wasn't good enough and HHH was "The Game" did Hunter come out dressed like a fucking XBox? No. Because that would look stupid.

Take a deep breath and relax.

It just annoys me so much what this company does sometimes. They are so wrapped up in their own universe that they have no idea how real people operate. I was ashamed of wrestling when I saw Hunter in that thing. What in the FUCK did that accomplish other than give a little more ammo to people who want to shoot it down. Why in the hell does my love of wrestling have to be a fucking secret from everyone? I tried to take my friend to a show down here in DC, and he was excited. I thought "hey, maybe I can find someone in the real world that will share this passion with me" And then that fucking idiot Vince McMahon makes in the god damned motherfucking Kiss My Ass Club show, and I spent damn near a week trying to find a way to explain this to him. Luckily he dropped out, and you dont know how thankful I was.

And so now of course we have a fucking PIRATE. WHY? WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A MAN PLAYING A PIRATE ON MY TV? He's not supposed to be a joke, he's not insane, he's a motherfucking legitimate Pirate who decided wrestling in 2006 was the way to go about whatever the hell it is his goals were. This isn't the Boogeyman. The Boogeyman's gimmick is that he's off the wall batshit crazy. This is a perfectly sane and rational man who decided he was a pirate and we're supposed to accept and respect that. If I were watching Smackdown and someone came in and saw that, I'd be mortified.

And now, on top of all this, the two biggest stars in the company (In theory) are showing up in utterly absurd costumes from some high school play. I don't ask them to go all the way mainstream. But would it really hurt them to not make fools of themselves and all their fans. Does Hunter really need to be dressed like that? Any wrestling fan knows he's the king of kings or whatever, and they don't need that...thing to explain it. Any casual thinks he's now the biggest loser dork they've ever seen. And I completely don't understand what the hell was going on with Cena. He's in Chicago, so he's no longer Vanilla Ice, he's Al Capone? WHY? I know it's Wrestlemania and you want to do it up. Debut new tights. Debut a ring robe, new pyro, come to the ring differently, anything but what these two did tonight.

Watch the Shows much? Palmer Canon hired the Boogeyman off another canceled UPN show, he's playing a role. Burchhill was also told he had to become a Pirate by Canon. The gimmick is he's an out of touch Exec.

I said The Boogeyman wasn't as bad.

And The Pirate isn't being a Pirate against his will. And we are not being instructed to laugh and mock the Pirate. Besides the Palmer Canon involvement, we're not supposed to think anything is out of the ordinary with the wrasslin Pirate. Look at the Regal match. Regal is evil because he thinks the whole thing is stupid.

Guest The Showcase

Can we get a picture of his peacock headdress?

And more pictures of Cena's ROH mobster cronies?

Guest JRE

I'd just like to say- after watching it twice now. You could really see the emotion in Rey's eyes when he was celebrating on stage. It was a great moment.

I still can't believe the fans were booing Rey.

Cena, I can understand, they've been booing him for ages. But booing Rey? I can't remember a single hint of that happening, ever. It's like the fans just decided to be dicks just to be dicks towards him for some reason.

Can we get a picture of his peacock headdress?

And more pictures of Cena's ROH mobster cronies?

Aside from CM Punk and I think Jimmy Jacobs...who else was used?

Guest Floridian Cool

I can't believe the gangster thing is going over everyone's heads. I'm not saying it wasn't ridiculous, but come on...

The Untouchables...

"I'm untouchable, so I'm forcin' you to feel me..."

Anyone?

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

cenastfu8xg.jpg

Watching live I thought... HHH tapped to a chinlock?

Chono should show up on RAW and show Cena an STF

Cena, I can understand, they've been booing him for ages. But booing Rey? I can't remember a single hint of that happening, ever. It's like the fans just decided to be dicks just to be dicks towards him for some reason.

The crowd was completely pro-Angle, Rey has been shoved down our throats with the Eddie stuff (which ironically enough, was toned down tonight, and Eddie was more of a focal part of the US Title match) and Rey, had been pushed as a baby lately. Really hurt his appeal for the fans.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

Didn't Rey wear that exact same thing at that recent Mexico show?

I can't believe some people would bitch about him wearing that, considering that type of thing is a part of that culture. It was his big night, so it made sense for him to wear it tonight, just like it made sense for him to wear it at the big Mexico show.

Wearing something like that in Mexico, fits because...well it's in Mexico. He just looks silly, a 5'5 guy wearing a feathered head-dress with a black leather mask will always look silly.

It works in Mexico because it's part that culture, his culture. Tonight was his big night, for the first time he had a shot to win the world title, and he won it. It only made sense for this to be that one time where he comes out in full garb like that. It doesn't matter if people at home are in the know about it anyway, it was his moment, and he did it for himself and his culture.

Not to mention that anyone who can't get the concept must be a fucking moron. Did any single one of you not instantly understand that he was doing that because of his culture?

It was along the lines of what Joe did at that TNA show last year.

I have to say, it wouldn't be that bad if he wasn't wearing a mask. The mask just kills it for me. I see the mask and headress and I can't help but laugh. It looks like the beginnings of some whacky sketch to me. I expect someone to show up in a mask and a suit and tie and hat, and someone to wear a mask with a bathing suit

Guest JRE

They were just being dicks. Seriously, Rey wasn't trying to get cheap face heat using Eddie tonight- he wasn't even wearing the armbands. He's been booked poorly but he's still awesome in the ring.

I think the match finished nicely- quick...out of nowhere, just the way it should have ended with Rey winning.

I can't believe the gangster thing is going over everyone's heads. I'm not saying it wasn't ridiculous, but come on...

The Untouchables...

Anyone?

It had more to do with the chicago based theme of the show, rather then a lyric from his old theme song. In fact, you are probably the only one to make such a connection.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

The Untouchables...

Anyone?

He hasn't used that song in well over a year now.

Welcome to Chicago "supersmark" fans. They'll boo anything just to seem "smart" or "edgy". Kinda like ECW fans on emotional steroids. Unfortunately we don't have Brian Pillman around to laugh and chant "Smart Mark!" at them.

Unless Chris Jericho is debuting. Then they'll mark like little girls too.

The crowd was completely pro-Angle, Rey has been shoved down our throats with the Eddie stuff (which ironically enough, was toned down tonight, and Eddie was more of a focal part of the US Title match) and Rey, had been pushed as a baby lately. Really hurt his appeal for the fans.

That's still not an excuse for what we heard tonight. I mean, it wasn't anything small, it was a huge negative reaction. It was like they just wanted to be assholes just to do something different.

I don't blame them for booing people at times, like how they did with Rocky back in the day, Brock/Goldberg, and of course Cena. We all saw all of that coming clear as day, but no one could have predicted that most of the crowd would turn on Rey, on his big night.

cenastfu8xg.jpg

If ever there has been a true gay looking wrestling picture, that's the one.

Unless the Angle/TBS .GIF I made a long time ago counts.

eeecc70d4adbd25478d3f978e18b64ab.gif

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

mysteriotempo5mq.jpg

Rey a few months ago when WWE had the Mexico tour

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

No Mr Kennedy tonight which saddened me since he and i used to watch WWE PPVs together in a bar near Green bay

Rey really doesn't look that outrageous with the Heavyweight belt. For a smaller guy, the belt looks pretty good in that pic, IMO.

Smart crowds were cute in the beginning, but it's gotten really annoying now. Booing Cena, fine, I agree he's stale, but c'mon, cheering Orton over Rey? Cheering HHH? It's become too trendy.

I'm telling ya, Vince should run more shows here in California. We're huge marks over here.

Someone needs to make a YTMND with HHH's new "Bow Down to the King" theme and a picture of the Burger King. Make it happen.

World Tag Titles

Well, I was actually going for the rookies to win, but at least Big Show finally gets a win at Wrestlemania.

Money in the Bank Match II

Unfortunately, I missed out on this match because we lost our fucking signal at the sportsbar tonight thanks to shitty DirectTV service (Cable is better, guys!), but I'm glad to know the right guy went over.

United States Championship

The elevating ramp was fucking sweet. This match had so much to offer, but suffered due to time constraints. The finish was nice though.

Hardcore Match

IMO the match of the night. Mick and Edge went balls out. Bringing Joey Styles out to call the match was icing on the cake!

The Freaks segment fucking owned by the way!!! It was nice to see Booker T interact with Goldust again.

Handicapped Match

Thankfully, they kept it as a squash.

Womens Championship

Truly one of the best womens matches EVER. The crowd shitting on Trish was fucking awesome too.

Casket Match

I was surprised by how this one turned out. I marked out for Undertaker bringing back the plancha. And of course, a Holy shit! remark to him being able to pick up Henry's fat ass and Tombstoning him for the win.

No Holds Barred

It was entertaining, I won't lie. Marked out for the DX chops.

World Heavyweight Title

Good match, but I didn't like "Montezuma" Mysterio getting hotshotted to winning the title out of a sympathy push especially when he has no experience in the mid-card division rather than working up through the ranks, oh well. The double german suplex spot was cool. Chicago was dying for Angle to retain, I wish he would have, had I known Mysterio was winning and not Orton.

Pillow Fight

Only thing goods were Torrie's nip slip and Candice getting a Stink Face from Chloe.

WWE Championship

And finally after 34 months, the WWE Championship goes on AFTER the World Heavyweight Title on joint-brand PPVs. I felt like I was watching a movie with the elaborate intros. Some people didn't like them, but I did. The boxing style introduction was a nice touch to add to the match.

The most incredible crowd ever with the "Lets Go Cena! / Fuck You Cena! (mostly "Fuck You Cena!") dueling chants going. With the way the crowd was shitting on Cena and going for HHH, this was truly Cena being the underdog even though he was the champ. Its almost as if I were watching Rocky I (funny for HHH to mention that movie prior to the match as that is what it felt like and yes I know Rocky didn't win the title until the end of part II so don't bother pointing that out).

Another thing I loved is that while the crowd was giving nuclear-level heat, Cena had this look on his face like "Man, fuck you guys. I don't give a shit anymore." I was hoping too that they would have done a double turn with Cena snapping and beating the ever loving shit out of HHH with a chair or something.

I will admit it, I'm shocked, I'm still shocked by HHH jobbing clean AGAIN when he didn't have to. I'm slowly losing my HHHate, he put over Benoit, Batista, and now Cena. Wow. HHH, I hate to break it to you, but you are no longer the top heel in the WWE.

The tag match was nothing. I guess it was a good match to get out of the way first.

The Money in the Bank was the best it could have been seeing as it was #3 on the list of gimmick matches. You just know they couldn't go completely balls out, but they had enough cool spots to make it memorable (Shelton's climb ladder dive, the superplex, RVD's splash, etc.).

I was a bit disappointed in Benoit/JBL, since it didn't really seem to get much time at all (how long did it get? I wasn't really timing it...). Also, did not like the Eddie spots randomly thrown in there. The match/feud had nothing to do with Eddie. I wouldn't have really minded a Three Amigos to give a nod to Eddie, but having a couple spots revolve around him? Bah. It was unnessesary.

That hardcore match was fucked. Edge is either a tremendous seller, or he was legit in shock during that match. That was definately the show stealer, I thought. A slight problem I had with the match was the constant pans to Lita. She's a horrible actress who gives no reaction to her man being sliced open wiht barb wire. Other than that though...I was impressed with Foley and Edge. Foley brought it, and Edge was willing to do whatever it took to have a memorable match.

The freak skit was good...Snisky with Mae was fucking creepy. And Dibase isn't a freak dammit!

Booker/Boogeyman fucking blew. Way too long for such a shit match.

I LOVED that Mickie/Trish match, except for the botched finish. Mickie is fucking great in her character. And while the finish was horribly botched, good for them not to simply repeat the spot, I guess. Good thing Trish has two finishers, eh?

Taker/Henry wasn't good, but Taker tried his hardest. That's all I really got.

The Smackdown title match was fun...not sure if a title match at Wrestlemania should have that feeling though. Good match, but what was with the time it got?

I want to punch Torrie and Candace in the face. Stay out of the ring eye candy. Learn from Ashley what happens to those who aren't properly trained.

I couldn't be more indifferent towards the main event. But the entrances had me nearly pissing my pants laughing. Too funny.

Good Wrestlemania overall. It pretty well ended at the Smackdown main event for me though.

EDIT: Right, forgot to mention one thing. Jillian Hall, Trish Stratus you are not.

Guest Rrrsh

Chicago is just like Toronto, New York and Philly.

Pompas wrestling fans who think they can change the future of storylines by thier reactions. Think they are cooler than everyone else.

Stupid morons have no idea that HHH and Cena played them for fiddle's and new exactly what they were doing.

So they booed Trish and Rey, it wont change a thing for how they are booked in the future. The crowd just comes off as losers.

Chicago is just like Toronto, New York and Philly.

Pompas wrestling fans who think they can change the future of storylines by thier reactions. Think they are cooler than everyone else.

Stupid morons have no idea that HHH and Cena played them for fiddle's and new exactly what they were doing.

So they booed Trish and Rey, it wont change a thing for how they are booked in the future. The crowd just comes off as losers.

What's the point of making the fans the bad guys here? If they'd rather see Angle with the title than Rey, then why shouldn't they cheer for him? If they'd rather see Mickie with the title than Trish, then why shouldn't they cheer for her?

I really don't get the impression that the fans were trying to "look cool on TV" or anything like that. I think they just cheered for the people they wanted to see win. What the fuck's wrong with that? Are you really drinking the mark kool-aid that hard that you're going to get mad at the fans because they cheered for the "baddies"?

Because they do it alot? Look at Rock/Brock at Summerslam '02. What's the point of booing Rock there? Or Shawn at Survivor Series 96.

Or Orton/Benoit at SummerSlam a couple of years back. the 3 superior workers (yeah, I'm saying Rock was better than Brock) turned on just cuz.

I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their opinion, but at this point is just seems trendy and sheepish.

Well, they booed Rock because he was stale and just about everybody knew he was leaving to make movies and they booed HBK because they were sick to death of him.

I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their opinion, but at this point is just seems trendy and sheepish.

As opposed to cheering for the wrestler that Vince has decreed to be the "good guy" regardless of whether you find him entertaining?

Almost all of my predictions were correct except for the MitB, I thought Flair would win. Great show and it seems the old HBK is back. I would love a DX reunion, if only for two months or something.