TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

OAO WrestleMania 22 thread - 4/2/06

Yeah. The constant booing of the heroes was sorta annoying...no, actually, it wasn't. Just booing Rey, which is more because of the whole "I'm doing it for Eddie" thing and the constant abuse of Eddie's name since his passing for storyline purposes. Booing Cena was expected, and I don't mind cheering for Mickie James (fresh face) over Trish (who's been the dominant female talent since '01).

Guest JoeJoe
Great show and it seems the old HBK is back. I would love a DX reunion, if only for two months or something.

I dunno about DX, but they sure are pimping the words "Old-school Shawn" all over WWE.com. Grisham even interviewed Michaels in the post game show where Shawn said he's reverting back to his "old ways".

As long as that doesn't include slipping a sausage down his short shorts, I'm all for it. :)

Shawn's best moments were late 94 thru WM11 (early 95) and from late 1997 (post Summerslam 97 along with a few spots here and there in earlier 97) through his "retirement" at WM14 (early 98)...honorable mention for his heel work last summer with Hogan...if we're going to see that again, I'm all for it. I wonder how God feels about crotch chops and telling people to "suck it"?

Shawn's best moments were late 94 thru WM11 (early 95) and from late 1997 (post Summerslam 97 along with a few spots here and there in earlier 97) through his "retirement" at WM14 (early 98)...honorable mention for his heel work last summer with Hogan...if we're going to see that again, I'm all for it. I wonder how God feels about crotch chops and telling people to "suck it"?

I said this eariler, but I'm really pissed the incompetent fools calling the match completely ignored the real story of the match, and hopefully they rectify it tonight.

I said this eariler, but I'm really pissed the incompetent fools calling the match completely ignored the real story of the match, and hopefully they rectify it tonight.

The story started out that way, but by the point of WM, it was Vince wanting to torture Shawn for NOT going down that road with Vince again. When Shawn finally did revert, he did in spite of Vince, not for him. The real story of the match was the match they were announcing, not that Shawn was reverting.

The story started out that way, but by the point of WM, it was Vince wanting to torture Shawn for NOT going down that road with Vince again. When Shawn finally did revert, he did in spite of Vince, not for him. The real story of the match was the match they were announcing, not that Shawn was reverting.

The post-show interview indicates that he is sticking with the edgy slant, rather then him reverting out of spite just for that night. The story was telling that after all the pushing from McMahon and all his shit, he still managed to break Shawn down and lured that old Shawn out.

Triple H kicked out of the F-U. The only other superstars to do this before are Brock Lesnar at Backlash 2003, Kurt Angle at No Mercy 2003, and Big Show at WrestleMania XX.

Undertaker at Vengeance 2003 also.

More tidbits:

John Cena now joins the ranks of Hulk Hogan, Yokozuna, and HHH as being the only Superstars to win the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania as well as to successfully defend it at a WM.

First time in Wrestlemania history that a world title was retained via submission.

I hope Cena retains, just for the pure shit show that would follow.

Do you want another Chicago fire to start?

Yes. Fuck Chicago.

Hey, fuck you.

The impression that I'm getting is that you guys are mad because they booed the designated faces, those STUPID SMARKS.

logo4.gif

Douchebags.

As opposed to cheering for the wrestler that Vince has decreed to be the "good guy" regardless of whether you find him entertaining?

Well said. I'd rather the fans cheer for or boo who the like instead of being brainwashed by the WWE. Besides, it created a more interesting atmosphere.

In regards to the entrances, I actually thought they were kinda cool, even though some of them were a littlle weird.

I'm glad RVD won MITB. Should be good to see how it pans out.

Does anyone think Rey got the title because Angle is hurt(see his press conference)?

As opposed to cheering for the wrestler that Vince has decreed to be the "good guy" regardless of whether you find him entertaining?

Well said. I'd rather the fans cheer for or boo who the like instead of being brainwashed by the WWE. Besides, it created a more interesting atmosphere.

In regards to the entrances, I actually thought they were kinda cool, even though some of them were a littlle weird.

This was "a little weird"?

thhhor5uk.jpg

I'm pretty positive Rey would have won the title eventually, regardless of Angle's various injuries. If not this year, next for sure...I'm certain, however, Eddie's death accelerated those plans...knowing Vince, he was probably thanking his lucky stars Eddie died since it provided such a "great inspirational story" for Rey...of course they managed to fuck THAT up.

As far as the entrances go...they were bad...but I did like how Lillian introduced them AFTER they made it to the ring and even rattled off their various nicknames...had a cool, old school feel to it.

I'm pretty positive Rey would have won the title eventually, regardless of Angle's various injuries. If not this year, next for sure...I'm certain, however, Eddie's death accelerated those plans...knowing Vince, he was probably thanking his lucky stars Eddie died since it provided such a "great inspirational story" for Rey...of course they managed to fuck THAT up.

As far as the entrances go...they were bad...but I did like how Lillian introduced them AFTER they made it to the ring and even rattled off their various nicknames...had a cool, old school feel to it.

It lacks a special feeling when every promotion does that now for its main events, even WCW did this.

Cena dancing, probably only gave him more heat

…As far as the entrances go...they were bad...but I did like how Lillian introduced them AFTER they made it to the ring and even rattled off their various nicknames...had a cool, old school feel to it.

It felt like we were watching Rocky with all the nicknames. My friends and I all busted out with "The Master of Disaster, the King of Sting, the Count of Monte Fisto…".

And yes, the entrances went beyond ludicrous speed. HHH must have really wanted the new Conan role. Ugh.

I loved HHH's entrance. I was hoping he would permanently switch to 'Bow Down to the King' as his new entrance theme. Shame his entrance attire, along with the throne were most likely made for a one-time appearance. He should've used the gigantic sledgehammer that was attached to his throne as a weapon against Cena.

The tag match was nothing. I guess it was a good match to get out of the way first.

The Money in the Bank was the best it could have been seeing as it was #3 on the list of gimmick matches. You just know they couldn't go completely balls out, but they had enough cool spots to make it memorable (Shelton's climb ladder dive, the superplex, RVD's splash, etc.).

I was a bit disappointed in Benoit/JBL, since it didn't really seem to get much time at all (how long did it get? I wasn't really timing it...). Also, did not like the Eddie spots randomly thrown in there. The match/feud had nothing to do with Eddie. I wouldn't have really minded a Three Amigos to give a nod to Eddie, but having a couple spots revolve around him? Bah. It was unnessesary.

That hardcore match was fucked. Edge is either a tremendous seller, or he was legit in shock during that match. That was definately the show stealer, I thought. A slight problem I had with the match was the constant pans to Lita. She's a horrible actress who gives no reaction to her man being sliced open wiht barb wire. Other than that though...I was impressed with Foley and Edge. Foley brought it, and Edge was willing to do whatever it took to have a memorable match.

The freak skit was good...Snisky with Mae was fucking creepy. And Dibase isn't a freak dammit!

Booker/Boogeyman fucking blew. Way too long for such a shit match.

I LOVED that Mickie/Trish match, except for the botched finish. Mickie is fucking great in her character. And while the finish was horribly botched, good for them not to simply repeat the spot, I guess. Good thing Trish has two finishers, eh?

Taker/Henry wasn't good, but Taker tried his hardest. That's all I really got.

The Smackdown title match was fun...not sure if a title match at Wrestlemania should have that feeling though. Good match, but what was with the time it got?

I want to punch Torrie and Candace in the face. Stay out of the ring eye candy. Learn from Ashley what happens to those who aren't properly trained.

I couldn't be more indifferent towards the main event. But the entrances had me nearly pissing my pants laughing. Too funny.

Good Wrestlemania overall. It pretty well ended at the Smackdown main event for me though.

EDIT: Right, forgot to mention one thing. Jillian Hall, Trish Stratus you are not.

Agreed on every point, especially about the RAW main event. I spent more time talking to my friends than actually watching the match. You didn't mention the HBK/Vince match, so maybe that's an indication that you were as bored with it as I was. That thing just dragged and dragged and dragged. Okay, we get it, Shawn. You can still jump off a ladder. Great. When are you going to retire?

Ending with the SD! main may have been a better move, but that probably would have given away the winner. Still, what a bizarro night.

I loved HHH's entrance. I was hoping he would permanently switch to 'Bow Down to the King' as his new entrance theme. Shame his entrance attire, along with the throne were most likely made for a one-time appearance. He should've used the gigantic sledgehammer that was attached to his throne as a weapon against Cena.

Images of Donkey Kong are running through my head right now.

Because they do it alot? Look at Rock/Brock at Summerslam '02. What's the point of booing Rock there? Or Shawn at Survivor Series 96.

Or Orton/Benoit at SummerSlam a couple of years back. the 3 superior workers (yeah, I'm saying Rock was better than Brock) turned on just cuz.

I'm not saying people aren't entitled to their opinion, but at this point is just seems trendy and sheepish.

I still don't see the big deal on any of the booing, even in these examples with the exception of Benoit who didn't need to be boo'd at SS but was facing an up an coming younger talent and at that time people thought they were watching the next Rock win his first title. I think that when you have a fresh face who is interesting as a character and can work good, why wouldn't people cheer as in the case of Brock, Orton and Mickie, epecially in the last case where Trish is definately working a heel moveset, which she should be anyways.

In the case of Shawn in 96, well just look at him as the do-gooder with Jose Lathario(sp?)...I was sick of him too especially becasue I thought he was badass as the cocky, edgier HBK. His latest run as face since coming back is great but back then it got stale. His boo's at Survivor Series helped turn him back into the cool tweener which soon became DX which leads me to...

HHH...HHH is finally entering his resepct stage that HBK, Flair, Angle and even Hogan have been in where people are just glad to see a consistent character. And he's beck to being cool again. Combine that with Cena's issues, then yes he's over huge.

In hindsight Vince made the right decesion in keeping that title on Cena becae the draw will be the chase to take it off him. HHH as the mega face would've died in a week, but Cena as the guy who continues to try to be a good guy when all the fans hate him will make for some great t.v. and hopefully we'll get some new stories ot of this.

Good show, I thought. Watched it at a party hosted by Scott D'amore's bar.

During the main event, someone said "this is as boring as an A-1 promo". Scott then brought A-1 into the room and he went into work mode and acted pissed. He then laughed and went back to wherever he and Petey Williams were watching the show. Good times.

But no one could have predicted that most of the crowd would turn on Rey, on his big night.

Except me, who said it would happen. And Damon Yankees or whatever his name is thought I was crazy. There's only so much suspension of belief people can have with a glorified junior as the World Champion, especially when taking a belt from Kurt Angle by pinning Randy Orton. If you really want me to, I'll go back and dig up the thread so people can read it again.

So everyone's talking about how the women's match finish was botched. Exactly what happened?

Trips jobbing now makes no sense, unless Vince is doing it to spite the fans and no other reason. However, as long as Cena has the belt, you will get a strong reaction from the crowd wherever they go. All I know is, there better be a Cena Promo tonight at RAW, and that's really the only thing I'd be watching RAW for.

Not the greatest wrestlemania, not the worst. I think the PPV was better than it had any right to be. My pick for MotN goes to the hardcore match, followed by the woman's title. The 3-way could have been it, but it was way too short.

The stupid shit they put in made the PPV: the hall of freaks, the Boogeyamn stuff, the entrances for the main-event.... I want HHH the Barbarian to be a regular feature. Put the people he buried to be his servants and worshippers. The only thing that could beat it is putting Triple H crucified on a cross and rising to the heavens, Jennety-style. Kudos to the one who made the finish as a tap-out, that's the new kind of heel heat.

And, unles they start building Hogan-Austin tonight and continue throughout the year, there'sno way they're gonna sell out Ford Field legit.

So everyone's talking about how the women's match finish was botched. Exactly what happened?

I don't know if it was supposed to be the actual finish, but Mickie went for the Stratisfaction, Trish kind of buckled which caused Mickie to miss the ropes and get caught up in them, dropping Trish to the ground...Mickie quickly recovered and hit her with an ad-libbed looking chick kick for the win.

I just saw MitB 2 and it was awesome, big ups to those six guys. 'Mania 22 just was a great show, very entertaining. I think it shut a lot of smarks up who thought the show would suck.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
I just saw MitB 2 and it was awesome, big ups to those six guys. 'Mania 22 just was a great show, very entertaining. I think it shut a lot of smarks up who thought the show would suck.

I for one will certainly say that it was better than I thought it could possibly be.

Hunter's the lesser of two evils.

After all these years, this is the stupiest shit i've ever read.

I can't believe Cena won though; I might start watching again.

Guest Army Eye

I love how Trips is sitting there with his fur, helmet and throne full of skulls....holding a bottle of water. He needs to start using that huge Olaf hammer.

I can't believe people are hating on barbarian HHH and gangster Cena. It's so cool, everyone should get these entrances.

There is no such thing as a good "psycho" gimmick in wrestling.

You never saw Waylon Mercy.

Or heel Brian Pillman...