TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
converge241

Wrestlemania 23 at Ford Field Detroit

Guest Brian

If Hogan tries to pull something off, kick, wham, stunner, stompin' for fun, pour the beer over.

The thing is, why would either of them really care about jobbing at this point? They both have had huge careers with impressive legacys that one match isn't going to erase. It would be just sad if the only reason the match doesn't happen is because one won't swallow his ego for three seconds. I mean, this would be the kind of match where the finish doesn't even really matter.

The thing is, why would either of them really care about jobbing at this point? They both have had huge careers with impressive legacys that one match isn't going to erase. It would be just sad if the only reason the match doesn't happen is because one won't swallow his ego for three seconds. I mean, this would be the kind of match where the finish doesn't even really matter.

Have you followed this business over the last 25 years? It's all about ego, baby. It starts with those two.

You can't just tell Austin or Hogan to job in a major match at WM. Of course, they care about jobbing and not jobbing. They got precious egos and images to maintain.

Are you serious man ? You're talking about Steve Austin, and Hulk Hogan. They are the egos you hear about in professional wrestling. You think HHH has an ego, not even comparable to them, same with HBK, and Vince McMahon himself is barely above them.

Have you followed this business over the last 25 years? It's all about ego, baby. It starts with those two.

You can't just tell Austin or Hogan to job in a major match at WM. Of course, they care about jobbing and not jobbing. They got precious egos and images to maintain.

Hawk, you continue to impress me man.

Guest Catcher8C

with a little thought, filling ford field for wm is incredibly easy. even without austin and/or hogan, there are good cards and dream matches out there.

this is off the top of my head:

UT/rey

Edge/HHH

cena/orton/batista

flair/hogan (respect match on the biggest stage of them all...retirement for both)

hbk/benjamin (ladder match or something)

lashley/angle (or lashley/brock)

foley/finlay

rvd/benoit

and that's just using the roster they have right now. they could use that card for backlash and it would sell as well as half of the stuff they throw against the wall right now. but with 3-6 months of buildup for each, it could easily sell out WM.

Yes, I understand they have egos. If they didn't, the match would already be booked. Hell, it already would have happened.

My point is that it's stupid, and there's no reason for it. Look at Rock vs Hogan...did Hogan jobbing really make him look any worse? No, because the match was huge, and was well booked. Both men looked like the two biggest stars in wrestling, ever, after that match. You'd think Hogan would've taken that lesson and would just tell Steve Austin "Look, brother, I'll do the job if you work with me at Wrestlemania. Let's sell the place out."

Austin is much younger than Hogan, so it wouldn't make sense for him to job anyway, since he could conceivably come back for more matches down the road while Hogan is pretty much out of gas at this point.

with a little thought, filling ford field for wm is incredibly easy. even without austin and/or hogan, there are good cards and dream matches out there.

UT/rey

Edge/HHH

cena/orton/batista

flair/hogan (respect match on the biggest stage of them all...retirement for both)

foley/finlay

rvd/benoit

and that's just using the roster they have right now. they could use that card for backlash and it would sell as well as half of the stuff they throw against the wall right now. but with 3-6 months of buildup for each, it could easily sell out WM.

That, is an atrocious line up. First off, RVD/Benoit has been done and it wasn't worth seeing a second time. Flair/Hogan? WTF. We've seen this 20,999 times. Hogan, isn't going to work a match with Flair again. Yeah, slap the three newest stars of WWE in one match, brilliantly idiotic. HHH/Edge can't work because someone needs to turn face and neither should be a face. UT/Rey, is a criminally bad choice for a Mania. Rey, usually catches backlash in giant killer storylines and no one really will take Mysterio seriously enough against UT. Foley/Finlay? Finlay, doesn't work hardcore style and he doesn't have the personality to work a storyline with Foley. Way to waste Angle. HBK/Benjamin is pointless.

You can't just slap people together and call it a "great" card.

UT/rey

Edge/HHH

cena/orton/batista

foley/finlay

rvd/benoit

That card would actually have me pretty interested, honestly. You'd probably have to get a few more guys in like JBL, and get some tag matches and at least one women's match, but overall that would be pretty solid. Flair/Hogan would only work if it actually is their last match, once and for all, though.

Yes, I understand they have egos. If they didn't, the match would already be booked. Hell, it already would have happened.

My point is that it's stupid, and there's no reason for it. Look at Rock vs Hogan...did Hogan jobbing really make him look any worse? No, because the match was huge, and was well booked. Both men looked like the two biggest stars in wrestling, ever, after that match. You'd think Hogan would've taken that lesson and would just tell Steve Austin "Look, brother, I'll do the job if you work with me at Wrestlemania. Let's sell the place out."

Austin is much younger than Hogan, so it wouldn't make sense for him to job anyway, since he could conceivably come back for more matches down the road while Hogan is pretty much out of gas at this point.

Hogan, has more gas in the tank. Hogan, could go another 5 years doing one match per year and working the paint by numbers match and still draw and pop a crowd.

Austin, essentially has one match left in him and he's severely rescricted.

UT/rey

Edge/HHH

cena/orton/batista

foley/finlay

rvd/benoit

That, is an atrocious line up. First off, RVD/Benoit has been done and it wasn't worth seeing a second time. Flair/Hogan? WTF. We've seen this 20,999 times. Hogan, isn't going to work a match with Flair again. Yeah, slap the three newest stars of WWE in one match, brilliantly idiotic. HHH/Edge can't work because someone needs to turn face and neither should be a face. UT/Rey, is a criminally bad choice for a Mania. Rey, usually catches backlash in giant killer storylines and no one really will take Mysterio seriously enough against UT. Foley/Finlay? Finlay, doesn't work hardcore style and he doesn't have the personality to work a storyline with Foley. Way to waste Angle. HBK/Benjamin is pointless.

You're forgetting that there would be 12 months to build to that card. Plenty of time to turn people and advance storylines. It's just a hypothetical card. I'm sure if last year someone had said Triple H vs Cena and Angle/Orton/Rey would headline Wrestlemania, you would've called that idiotic, too.

UT/rey

Edge/HHH

cena/orton/batista

foley/finlay

rvd/benoit

You're forgetting that there would be 12 months to build to that card. Plenty of time to turn people and advance storylines. It's just a hypothetical card. I'm sure if last year someone had said Triple H vs Cena and Angle/Orton/Rey would headline Wrestlemania, you would've called that idiotic, too.

Triple H Vs Cena, would have made perfect sense a year ago. In fact, people were pretty much penciling Cena/HHH in automatically, at this time right now one year ago.

Rey wouldn't have been expected but Eddy wouldn't have been out of the question and that was basically who Rey Mysterio was the last 3 months. Eddie's ghost.

Well, fair enough, but I still don't agree with your assessment of the proposed card. On one hand you rip RVD/Benoit because the past matches have sucked...at the same time HBK and Shelton have had some very good matches in the past and you say that would be pointless?

I think Cena/Batista/Orton makes sense as those guys _should_ at that point be like Austin/Rock/HHH were about five years ago. They're clearly the future of the company, and have been built up the most, like it or not.

Lashley and Angle could have a perfectly fine wrestling match. Angle's days are numbered...who knows if he'll even be able to wrestle next year? But, Lashley is being built up as a monster face, and Angle putting him over would make total sense.

I'm not going to dissect the rest of the card because again, we're just talking hypothetical, but I think you're too quick to jump on someone who was just trying to make the point that you could have a good card without Austin/Hogan.

Guest Catcher8C

ok here are reasons for all the matches...

UT/rey- it's been a while since UT has had an epic ass-kicking like the ones he had against hbk in 97. rey could play that role as good or better than hbk did.

Edge/HHH- hhh is going to end up defending the title at the next wm. that is almost guaranteed. edge is the next cena/batista: good heel that the fans force wwe to turn.

cena/orton/batista- i made an error in the way i wrote this. what i meant was that any combination of these three could be a viable wm match. cena/orton, cena/batista/ or orton/batista. these three are the 'future' of the wwe at this point, like it or not. it's about time to put them over as something more than fued fodder for the rest of the main eventers.

flair/hogan- this could be a retirement/respect match for both men. not only would it please the marks, but it would also keep both men out of other programs, therefore leaving those spots open for more deserving, younger wrestlers who need the push.

hbk/benjamin (ladder match or something)- hbk can put over benjamin and make him the solid upper mid carder/main eventer that his ring work says he *could* be. benjamin could be a heel going in and they could even probably pull off a double turn if they wanted to.

lashley/angle (or lashley/brock)- brock/lashley would be a natural fit. but if brock isn't back, angle needs to put some people over before he cripples himself. lashley should be a hot face by summerslam (if not sooner), so it seems like a fit to me.

foley/finlay- this would be the sleeper of the card. and who's to say that foley and finlay couldn't put on a good match? during the lashley/finlay pull apart brawl a few weeks on SD when finlay did the crazy flip off the apron, he almost seemed foley-ish. it's hardcore legend vs the stiffest guy on the roster, all in a proven wwe hardcore match setting. that equals *'s to me, at least.

rvd/benoit- after a dissapointing showing at this year's wm, benoit needs to work with someone he can carry to ****. rvd is that worker. and i think it's insane to look at this match as if it wouldn't make any sense or is overdone, especially when they haven't been in the same ring in years outside of the rumble

UT/rey- it's been a while since UT has had an epic ass-kicking like the ones he had against hbk in 97. rey could play that role as good or better than hbk did.

Edge/HHH- hhh is going to end up defending the title at the next wm. that is almost guaranteed. edge is the next cena/batista: good heel that the fans force wwe to turn.

cena/orton/batista- i made an error in the way i wrote this. what i meant was that any combination of these three could be a viable wm match. cena/orton, cena/batista/ or orton/batista. these three are the 'future' of the wwe at this point, like it or not. it's about time to put them over as something more than fued fodder for the rest of the main eventers.

flair/hogan- this could be a retirement/respect match for both men. not only would it please the marks, but it would also keep both men out of other programs, therefore leaving those spots open for more deserving, younger wrestlers who need the push.

hbk/benjamin (ladder match or something)- hbk can put over benjamin and make him the solid upper mid carder/main eventer that his ring work says he *could* be. benjamin could be a heel going in and they could even probably pull off a double turn if they wanted to.

lashley/angle (or lashley/brock)- brock/lashley would be a natural fit. but if brock isn't back, angle needs to put some people over before he cripples himself. lashley should be a hot face by summerslam (if not sooner), so it seems like a fit to me.

foley/finlay- this would be the sleeper of the card. and who's to say that foley and finlay couldn't put on a good match? during the lashley/finlay pull apart brawl a few weeks on SD when finlay did the crazy flip off the apron, he almost seemed foley-ish. it's hardcore legend vs the stiffest guy on the roster, all in a proven wwe hardcore match setting. that equals *'s to me, at least.

rvd/benoit- after a dissapointing showing at this year's wm, benoit needs to work with someone he can carry to ****. rvd is that worker. and i think it's insane to look at this match as if it wouldn't make any sense or is overdone, especially when they haven't been in the same ring in years outside of the rumble

Please stop.

1. Rey is an horrible heel, he can be a pinball but if you are looking for someone to play HBK 1997, Rey's not the right choice.

2. Edge, has played the same role for a year now and the fans haven't remotely hinted at turning him face. He works perfectly as heel and needs to remain a heel.

3. Batista/Orton, is a better match suited for Summer-Slam, rather then WM. Cena/Batista, are supposedly the two biggest faces and they are asked to carry each brand. Unless someone rises to supplant them from those roles, you won't see them against each other for awhile.

4. Hogan and Flair, is way to overdone. Remember in 2002, during Hogan's nostalgia wave? They worked a match and the crowd hardly gave a shit. Just because of their names, doesn't mean it's do-able for Mania. Hogan, is limited to a match per year and blowing it on Flair doesn't make sense.

5. The problem with doing Benjamin/HBK is that you can't honestly expect Shawn to be willing to be outperformed by a younger more acrobatic star in his "MATCH".

6. Lashley, is still very green and hasn't caught on with the crowd. Angle, is a main event star. Angle should be in main event matches. Brock Lesnar isn't happening, and if it were, they wouldn't waste his WM match on Lashley as they are less confident in Lashley now.

7. The problem is with Finlay/Foley is that, Foley has CC and he has a formula. Finlay doesn't fit within that formula. Finlay wasn't good in hardcore matches in WCW (which granted, were watered down versions).

8. They met in 2002, in match that wasn't that good. Benoit and RVD are a total clash of styles.

Guest Brian

Both Austin and Hogan assume with enough time off, they can come back strong and do dream matches. The thing is, both those guys don't have a ton of mileage left because they're running out of unique matches to do. However, if down the road Cena's merch sales start to fade and they decide to turn him heel, a face Austin coming back against a heel Cena would be swank, just because I think the promos would rock the fucking house. Plus, there's an awesome cultural and generational divide to build off there. I'd youtube them in a second.

I would give serious thought to driving down to Detroit and watching Hogan/Austin live. They could fill the place easily, just off their proximity to Canada.

I wonder if Hogan pinning Austin, but Austin getting a stunner at the end would be enough for both guys?

I could see part of the crowd booing Hogan winning more than I could see them booing Austin. Hogan has detractors, while Austin tends to have a higher fan/non-fan ratio. But then again, it *is* close to Canada.

in the regards to the whole discussion of what should go last, Austin/Hogan or a title match.......... I'm going to scare all of you by saying............... what if Hogan/Austin is the title match? DUN DUN DUUUNNNNNNNN

Hogan with the title was proven to be a failure - the fans like the novelty of marking out for Hogan, but novelty title reigns don't draw interest. Then there is the constant schedule which Hogan can't work.

Austin is even more damaged goods than Hogan, so there goes that.

Though, seeing Hogan come down with the Eagle belt and seeing Austin either come down with the big round one or the smoking skull belt would be a nice touch.

It could...

As proven in the past, one cannot use traditional logic -or any sort of prognosticatory methods- to predict what the WWE will do or what would make sense to them at any given time.

However, even on the craziest of crazy days for Vince McMahon, putting the title on either one is unlikely. They didn't want to put the title on Hogan in 2002 because they clearly had plans for a long HHH reign, but they felt they had to because of the overwhelming reaction. Hogan won't get a reaction like that again, so I can't see Vince doing it. But then I will, again, reference the above paragraph.

Guest scottb75
in the regards to the whole discussion of what should go last, Austin/Hogan or a title match.......... I'm going to scare all of you by saying............... what if Hogan/Austin is the title match? DUN DUN DUUUNNNNNNNN

Hey there have been worse ideas implemented in the WWE.

I wonder what is conjuring up at Titan Towers for this thing. Usually, they do got in mind the top draws for a monumental show like this. WM XX was Benoit and Eddie finally wearing straps and ending the show at MSG. WM 18 to sell out skydome was Hogan's return. WM 17 was Austin's big title match return. I'm going to have to agree with those saying Hogan/Austin. For all we know they could have postponed the whole idea for WM 23 or Austin/Hogan's ego postponed it. In reality, that IS the only match that can rival the anniversary of Hogan/Andre. When you take that into context with perhaps how they are going to hype the show I can see why Hogan and Austin would not want to job. I suppose Austin should get the win, but if Hogan sees this as his last match you know his ego would want to end his career with a victory. Austin winning is not the same as Rock's win at WM 18 imo. As someone said, Austin's wrestling fandom is different from Rock's. Rock gets booed now and then, while even turning Austin heel didn't really work. It just turned his fans from watching the product. The match could put into minds who the real greatest is even though both are way past their prime.

I liked the idea of Austin/Cena. I know this will sound ridiculous, but Cena defending against Austin at WM 23 might actually be a good idea where Cena finally turns heel. Cena does get the most reaction and heat out of any star on the roster today. Cena going over HHH at Mania is one thing, but over Austin is a completely different universe. Cena vs. a returning The Rock would also draw imo for the same reasons. I think the wwe should really concentrate on Rock, Austin, Hogan, UT, HBK and HHH in roles that help usher in the newer guys like Cena, Batista, Benjamin, etc. If Hogan/Austin happens it can simply be the closing of the Hogan and Austin generations, but the focus should be on guys like Cena regardless of what the net feels about the newer guys. I would actually have Edge against UT in a streak battle. UT would win, but the outcome would be harder to predict simply because. Then again, Edge could win and start a new era streak, but we know that aint happening. If the wwe is creating WM 23 to be the sequel of WM 3 then they MUST counter these matches in terms of aura, drawing ability, and impact.......

WWF World Heavyweight Title Match

Hogan vs. Andre the Giant

WWF Intercontinental Title Match

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage

Six-Man Tag Match

The Hart Foundation/Danny Davis vs. Santana/Bulldogs

Retirement Match

Roddy Piper vs. Adrian Adonis

Now, I mention these matches for the following reasons. Hogan and Andre was a passing of the torch even though Hogan had the torch. We know the story there, plus it was "undefeated" vs. "undefeated" monster match. The wwe is going to have to build a match-up like this. I know everyone hates Cena in terms of the wrestling audience compared to the casual fan, but I could very well see Cena in a match like this against either Rock or Austin. HHH was the stepping stone. I won't get into all of this now, but I already know what many here will say about this Cena idea.

The retirement match CAN be topped with Hogan/Austin. As I mentioned above it can close the Hogan and Austin generations. The wwe also has to create a monster tag team that defines this era. They had it with NAO in the attitude era. Hart Foundation and British Bulldogs defined that era back in 1987. If MNM are still together the wwe needs to build a great feud and tag team to counter them for the event. The wwe is going to have to try to top the workrate monster of Steamboat and Savage. They have Benjamin, Angle, HBK, and HHH who could possibly pull it off. I would lean more towards Benjamin vs. HBK as someone stated. If the wwe is continuing to pimp Benjamin as the best athlete today he would need a major feud with HBK whom the wwe use to pimp as the greatest all-around athlete ever. It would work for the IC title(I'm not saying Benjamin has to reign all year or not, but if they want to have any chance in hell living up to Savage/Steamboat's IC title match this might be the best bet. Angle is 50/50 with his physical state). It's still very early, but the wwe has to start thinking along these lines imo. They can sell out the place imo, but living up to the hype is another story.

A year from now, things may be different for either the better or worse. For all we know, things could get way better and they won't need Hogan/Austin to fill Ford Field. Perhaps things go really bad and they move WM from Ford Field to Cobo Hall for "safety precautions" like with WM7 aka they can't fill up Ford Field.

My guess is they still can't get Austin/Hogan to agree on anything. I may be reading too much into some things, but the way Hogan acted at the HOF ceremony just seemed like perhaps they were talking about it, but couldn't come to an agreement and then Austin pulls out the can of whoop ass line and Hogan looked very uncomfortable when he said it. He also no sold it. I would think if they had agreed to work a buildup to a match, Hogan would've looked more confident and perhaps shot back a better expression. Then again, maybe Austin and Hogan didn't want to upstage Bret. However, Hogan wouldn't really care about something like that, so who knows.

Hogan also said on Bubba the love sponge that he was going to be at Raw to do something with Austin, but nothing came of it. Perhaps it was just Hogan being Hogan and blowing smoke up people's asses again. On Keller's Raw audio report, he said he's talked to people close to both men and they are adamant at not doing the job to one another and since both men have a ton of money still, they really don't need the match. With that all said, I just don't think this match happens. Don't get that twisted, I'd love to see that match, I just don't think it'll happen now.

A year from now, things may be different for either the better or worse. For all we know, things could get way better and they won't need Hogan/Austin to fill Ford Field. Perhaps things go really bad and they move WM from Ford Field to Cobo Hall for "safety precautions" like with WM7 aka they can't fill up Ford Field.

My guess is they still can't get Austin/Hogan to agree on anything. I may be reading too much into some things, but the way Hogan acted at the HOF ceremony just seemed like perhaps they were talking about it, but couldn't come to an agreement and then Austin pulls out the can of whoop ass line and Hogan looked very uncomfortable when he said it. He also no sold it. I would think if they had agreed to work a buildup to a match, Hogan would've looked more confident and perhaps shot back a better expression. Then again, maybe Austin and Hogan didn't want to upstage Bret. However, Hogan wouldn't really care about something like that, so who knows.

Hogan also said on Bubba the love sponge that he was going to be at Raw to do something with Austin, but nothing came of it. Perhaps it was just Hogan being Hogan and blowing smoke up people's asses again. On Keller's Raw audio report, he said he's talked to people close to both men and they are adamant at not doing the job to one another and since both men have a ton of money still, they really don't need the match. With that all said, I just don't think this match happens. Don't get that twisted, I'd love to see that match, I just don't think it'll happen now.

Vince just needs to pay off Austin's current GF to antagonize Austin and Austin will handle business, his usual way. This will force Austin to cave and take the job to cover court expenses.