TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

Bill Walton needs to announce for golf.

Bill Walton "Tiger putts from 10 ft away and he misses! What a disgrace! He is a poor excuse for a human being!"

That would so rule.

The comedy announcers are the only thing I can stand about ESPN basketball coverage. Walton and Tolbert are great. Everything else about their coverage seems bush league if you've watched a TNT broadcast.

Actually with as poorly as ESPN covers most sports, I can see why they'd try to branch out. Whoever made the WWE analogy was spot on.

Guest Felonies!
Walton doing the original commentary for Malice at the Palace was classic

"This is a disgrace..."

Don't forget "the Pacers are playing an intelligent game!" and one second later BOOM

If there's one thing ESPN can hang their hat on....it's that their radio isn't as insipid as Fox Sports Radio. ESPECIALLY JT The Brick. First, what the hell does that nickname MEAN anyway? Second, he bases his entire radio show pretty much on goading drunk and/or stupid Red Sox fans to call and get into screaming matches for 10 minutes a call since he knows that's his biggest audience (since the Sox flagship station is also a Fox affiliate). I mean, I know looking for integrity in sports talk radio is like looking for a Sno Cone dealer in Hell, but c'mon.

Guest Felonies!

ESPN in general is also not as insipid as Fox Sports, though I'm baffled as to why Sportscenter and related programs tried to copy The Best Damn Sports Show Period by getting LOTS OF GUYS WHO YELL A LOT AND WHOEVER YELLS THE LOUDEST WINS. It'd be like the Red Sox saying "hey, the Royals have a pretty good business model."

If there's one thing ESPN can hang their hat on....it's that their radio isn't as insipid as Fox Sports Radio. ESPECIALLY JT The Brick. First, what the hell does that nickname MEAN anyway? Second, he bases his entire radio show pretty much on goading drunk and/or stupid Red Sox fans to call and get into screaming matches for 10 minutes a call since he knows that's his biggest audience (since the Sox flagship station is also a Fox affiliate). I mean, I know looking for integrity in sports talk radio is like looking for a Sno Cone dealer in Hell, but c'mon.

I dunno that Amy Lawrence bitch that hosts game night sometimes is pretty irritating and stupid.

This "greatest player to ever wear that number" thing that ESPN is doing exemplifies the "what have you done for me lately?" mentality they have. They have Reggie Bush as the greatest to ever wear #5(against guys like McNabb, James, and LT), Leinart as the greatest to ever wear #11, and Vince Young as the greatest to ever wear #10.

If this list was made 5 years from now they probably wouldn't have any of those guys as the greatest but they're all fresh in ESPN's dumb little heads.

Guest Princess Leena

Every ESPN Mobile commercial is horrible, and makes me never want to buy it.

The worst thing though:

Chris Fowler + Tennis.

PLEASE, only let him to do American college sports. Thanks.

This "greatest player to ever wear that number" thing that ESPN is doing exemplifies the "what have you done for me lately?" mentality they have. They have Reggie Bush as the greatest to ever wear #5(against guys like McNabb, James, and LT), Leinart as the greatest to ever wear #11, and Vince Young as the greatest to ever wear #10.

If this list was made 5 years from now they probably wouldn't have any of those guys as the greatest but they're all fresh in ESPN's dumb little heads.

I assume that's football only, since it's kinda hard to overlook Joe DiMaggio....

Then again, if Reggie Bush played baseball, he'd be the god of that too.

ESPN in general is also not as insipid as Fox Sports, though I'm baffled as to why Sportscenter and related programs tried to copy The Best Damn Sports Show Period by getting LOTS OF GUYS WHO YELL A LOT AND WHOEVER YELLS THE LOUDEST WINS. It'd be like the Red Sox saying "hey, the Royals have a pretty good business model."

Just wait. FSN is close to launching there own Sportscenter like show here soon.

Again.

It really annoyed me how ESPN refused to call the Hornets the New Orleans/OKLAHOMA CITY Hornets. They just kept saying New Orleans when even David Stern was calling them the NO/OKC Hornets.

From watching ESPN they just seem to absolutely hate the fact that the Hornets are in OKC.

I find it funny though when Dana on Cold Pizza made a big deal to Chris Paul about how they had no home this season and he was like "Umm....OKC is our home....." and she was like "Yeah well it's not technically. So you were kind of on the road all season." and he was like "No I live in OKC. It's our home. The fans are our home fans."

I want to know how they found Orestes Drestrade for Baseball Tonight.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/destror01.shtml

He's supposed to be the former player in the studio, the thing about it is that he played 4 years, one full season, with five years in between stints after being drafted in 1980.

I just find it funny how randomly selected this guy seems to be. He doesn't add jack shit to the show, that's for sure, but not many of their analysts do anyway.

I can't understand why anyone would want to listen to a guy whose claim to fame is winning a Smack-Off on the Jim Rome Show years ago.

The whole "greatest player to ever wear the number" thing just illustrates how obsessed ESPN is with making and picking stars out of rookie players who have yet to do anything meaningful.

It really annoyed me how ESPN refused to call the Hornets the New Orleans/OKLAHOMA CITY Hornets. They just kept saying New Orleans when even David Stern was calling them the NO/OKC Hornets.

From watching ESPN they just seem to absolutely hate the fact that the Hornets are in OKC.

I find it funny though when Dana on Cold Pizza made a big deal to Chris Paul about how they had no home this season and he was like "Umm....OKC is our home....." and she was like "Yeah well it's not technically. So you were kind of on the road all season." and he was like "No I live in OKC. It's our home. The fans are our home fans."

Well, the OKC fans were great for them last year and that was nice of Chris Paul to say, but they really were a team without a home.

Not really. They lived in OKC. They played their home games in OKC. OKC was their home.

Just because ESPN has some bug up their ass about it doesn't mean shit.

Seriously ESPN and the fans of New Orleans are the only ones that have made a big deal about how OKC is evil and doesn't deserve the team and all this shit.

The team, the owners, the NBA, everyone else has gone on about how great OKC is and Stern has promised that we're next in line for a team if they take the Hornets away. And from listening to the players and some of the stuff I've heard from inside the organization....they don't want to go anywhere! They want to stay put. But Stern is hell bent on doing some great community service thing and sending them back to NO.

How can Stern force them to go back even if the owner wants them to stay?

God dammit they'd better give us another NBA team if they steal ours away. I don't care who it is. Trailblazers, Sonics, Magic, Raptors....don't matter because I'll be going to see the Celtics when they play em'.

Yeah I'm a fan of all Boston teams alright. That's why I don't watch Hockey and don't like the Patriots.

Man liking those two Boston teams makes me a fan of all things Boston.

Guest Felonies!

Let's not pile on Dama here. He's right; the Hornets should permanently play in Oklahoma City.

He's supposed to be the former player in the studio, the thing about it is that he played 4 years, one full season, with five years in between stints after being drafted in 1980.

I just find it funny how randomly selected this guy seems to be. He doesn't add jack shit to the show, that's for sure, but not many of their analysts do anyway.

First off, playing experience doesn't really effect how good or bad an analyst is. Peter Gammons is terrific and never played pro ball. Joe Morgan was a Hall of Famer and he's horrid.

In Orestes' case, he spent those years playing Japanese baseball. He hosted a spanish language baseball program on XM Radio before joining one of the english language shows when Larry Bowa left to coach on the Yankees. He's not the best analyst but he's reasonably intelligent and hasn't yet prompted me to throw my radio out the window.

I think it's Dama who has a bug up his ass, not ESPN. Oklahoma City did a great job supporting the Hornets this year, and probably earned themselves a franchise in the future, but let's not get carried away. The Hornets played there because a natural disaster destroyed their city. It was a temporary home... you don't take the Hornets out of New Orleans. It's just wrong.

Who's to say that OKC would keep up that support long-term? They basically got a one year audition for a team. Franchises that are new to an area draw great support at first. Chris Paul's comments also shouldn't be weighed that heavily because he was a rookie and had never played in New Orleans. To him, OKC was the home.

The rest of the team has said privately they want to be in OKC. Ownership and coaching has said(privately again) that they want to be in OKC.

New Orleans didn't support them before and I don't think the city will be rebuilt enough and ready to support them in 2 years either.

I may have a bug up my ass but ESPN put it there with the way they bash on OKC and don't even really acknowledge that the team plays here and that we've done a good job.

I can't remember which analyst it was but he called OKC a bunch of thieves.

Dude, you need to relax a little bit. All I've ever heard was how great OKC did as a temporary home for the Hornets and how they alleviated all the pressure from the players. All the analysts have great things to say and it has definitely earned OKC the first rights to the next NBA franchise.

The Hornets can't move there because it would be a political nightmare. It would look like they stole the team for NO at their weakest moment. That's why owners and players say those things privately, because they know they can't openly support a move.

Guest Felonies!

But sooner or later, they're going to have to admit "hey, this city has much bigger problems to solve than putting its basketball team that nobody cared about back in town," and keep the Hornets in OKC. You know, since that's 100% true. Let them have the 2008 All-Star weekend, since the city is probably best suited for short term visits like All-Star Games and Super Bowls.

The NBA would really be spoiling the viability of Oklahoma City by saying "okay thanks, but we're taking them back now," and then adding with a pat on the head, "but come on, slugger, don't get mad, if you're good maybe we'll give you the Supersonics! Or the Trail Blazers! Or the Magic! Or not. But hang in there!"

Also they created a ton of Hornets fans by moving them here now they're expecting all those people to root for another team?

In addition to what he said it's also like

"Ok little guy. I know you bought a Hornets jersey and love Chris Paul but how about the Trailblazers? Here's a Rasheed Wallace jersey!"

"But he hasn't played there in years!"

"You'll take what you can get and like it!"

Is that why the likes of Bronko Nagurski, and Don Hutson are the best players to wear their respected numbers?

First off, playing experience doesn't really effect how good or bad an analyst is. Peter Gammons is terrific and never played pro ball. Joe Morgan was a Hall of Famer and he's horrid.

In Orestes' case, he spent those years playing Japanese baseball. He hosted a spanish language baseball program on XM Radio before joining one of the english language shows when Larry Bowa left to coach on the Yankees. He's not the best analyst but he's reasonably intelligent and hasn't yet prompted me to throw my radio out the window.

And how is the general idiot that sits down to watch BBTN supposed to know that? It's never mentioned at all. I certainly didn't.

I think you took what I said the wrong way about his playing experience. Most of the time he's on the show, he's supposed to be the player/analyst. Yet he has one full major league season, the year Joe Carter won the World Series, before the strike...