TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Playoffs thread...

ozolinch isnt to blame for that goal in game two. weekes gave up on the play & let the puck lay behind him. any player woulda done what he did. if the goalie actually reached bhind me it would never have happened. and ozo was pretty much averaging a point/game with the rangers after the trade. ozo is not a bad defenseman, and after he gets his problems dealt with, he'll have no problem getting on with another team. to say otherwise is asinine.

i can say going into this year i thougt the flames would be a powerhouse. but this is a prime example of a franchise not anticipating the changed hockey made over the past 2 years. you NEED scoring. even the devils guys have showed they had a scoring touch deep down inside of them. the flames stacked their team with grinders. when you get down 1-0 - grinders aren't that effective. they were shut down & made to look foolish tonight. the ducks made them look horrible.

hopefully the oilers won't fall into the same trap, as they are another team full of grinders. lucikly, i'd say they have a more balanced scoring attack than their provincial rivals. hemsky, samsonov, smyth, horcoff, & pronger are all guys who the oil can count on. the flames really only had iginla & maybe phaneuf & huseleis. maybe langkow. thats it. no scoring. no more playoffs. tough shit, eh.

ozolinch isnt to blame for that goal in game two. weekes gave up on the play & let the puck lay behind him. any player woulda done what he did. if the goalie actually reached bhind me it would never have happened. and ozo was pretty much averaging a point/game with the rangers after the trade. ozo is not a bad defenseman, and after he gets his problems dealt with, he'll have no problem getting on with another team. to say otherwise is asinine.

i can say going into this year i thougt the flames would be a powerhouse. but this is a prime example of a franchise not anticipating the changed hockey made over the past 2 years. you NEED scoring. even the devils guys have showed they had a scoring touch deep down inside of them. the flames stacked their team with grinders. when you get down 1-0 - grinders aren't that effective. they were shut down & made to look foolish tonight. the ducks made them look horrible.

hopefully the oilers won't fall into the same trap, as they are another team full of grinders. lucikly, i'd say they have a more balanced scoring attack than their provincial rivals. hemsky, samsonov, smyth, horcoff, & pronger are all guys who the oil can count on. the flames really only had iginla & maybe phaneuf & huseleis. maybe langkow. thats it. no scoring. no more playoffs. tough shit, eh.

Against San Jose, you're gonna need scoring, especially with a fairly untested playoff goalie. But, they did score four goals more than once agains Detroit, no reason why it can't happen again.

listen. thorton has been known to pack up his tent in the playoffs. they've got three top notch offensive threats. btu the oilers did a pretty good job of shutting down the red wings (aside from game 1). they're gonna have to play a strong defensive game. but somewhere they're gonna need to push toskala. he's even more unproven than rolason. i think if the oilers can shut down the sharks top line, they'll be able to grind out a victory. just tough, gritty performances from the ethan moreaus & jason smiths. thats what they need. i just think they are better prepared than the flames when they fall behind. the key is to fuck up thorton. without him cheechoo suffers & so does the offense. of course marleau can do some damage, too.

And there is the reason I hate the Flames. About three quarters of the building left after the empty net goal without even acknowledging the season the Flames had. At least the Canadiens fans stuck around after their team choked.

Agreed. It would have been nice for the fans to at least acknowledge the fine season the team had up until that point. Winning the Northwest alone was quite an accomplishment.

Guest Princess Leena

Oh, poo. The fans don't have to do shit for spoiled, rich athletes. The players should be thanking the fans for giving the money to allow them to play in fancy buildings.

Uneducated picks, since I haven't watched a minute of these playoffs yet:

(5) San Jose d. (8) Edmonton in 4.

(7) Colorado d. (6) Anaheim in 6.

(4) Buffalo d. (1) Ottawa in 7.

(3) New Jersey d. (2) Carolina in 6.

And there is the reason I hate the Flames. About three quarters of the building left after the empty net goal without even acknowledging the season the Flames had. At least the Canadiens fans stuck around after their team choked.

Agreed. It would have been nice for the fans to at least acknowledge the fine season the team had up until that point. Winning the Northwest alone was quite an accomplishment.

I'm sorry, the fans don't have any obligation to the players when the players play like that and vice versa. Yes, I'm saying that even though I went to the last home game for the Kings and Luc Robitaille's final game in LA. I don't think winning a division means anything anymore.

I spend too much money on my hockey team and always regret it when I get home, but when I pass up the chance to go, I regret it. After this season, I feel like I deserve a refund, and I'm sure Calgary fans feel the same.

If we are tallying these up, I had 6.5. I had all the East teams, plus Colorado and San Jose.

Second round:

Ottawa in 6

New Jersey in 6

San Jose in 7 (NO WAY is this a sweep)

Colorado in 5

Western Conference Semi-Finals:

(5) San Jose vs. (8) Edmonton

(6) Anaheim vs. (7) Colorado

Eastern Conference Semi-Finals:

(1) Ottawa vs. (4) Buffalo

(2) Carolina vs. (3) New Jersey

San Jose over Edmonton - 6 games

Colorado over Anaheim - 6 games

Ottawa over Buffalo - 6 games

New Jersey over Carolina - 5 games

I'm sorry, the fans don't have any obligation to the players when the players play like that and vice versa. Yes, I'm saying that even though I went to the last home game for the Kings and Luc Robitaille's final game in LA. I don't think winning a division means anything anymore.

I spend too much money on my hockey team and always regret it when I get home, but when I pass up the chance to go, I regret it. After this season, I feel like I deserve a refund, and I'm sure Calgary fans feel the same.

So I guess the fans should just take for granted that the Flames are actually worth watching again and give them no support or appreciation for playing well this season.As someone mentioned previously in the thread, even the Rangers got a standing ovation from their fans at their last game so why wouldn't the supposed best fans in hockey (as some people claim) do the same? The fans have a right to be pissed but turning their backs on them after a tough loss is pretty poor. I was plenty pissed that Detroit once again bowed out early but I also accepted that Edmonton played better and earned it. And hey, the beauty of sports is that there's always next year.

Guest Princess Leena

Lindy Ruff is the only Sabre up for an award. Boo. He should have been fired years ago. Damn him for having one lucky year.

CALDER MEMORIAL TROPHY (outstanding rookie): Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins; Alexander Ovechkin, Washington Capitals; Dion Phaneuf, Calgary Flames.

FRANK J. SELKE TROPHY (outstanding defensive forward): Rod Brind'Amour, Carolina Hurricanes; Mike Fisher, Ottawa Senators; Jere Lehtinen, Dallas Stars.

HART MEMORIAL TROPHY (most valuable player to his team): Jaromir Jagr, New York Rangers; Miikka Kiprusoff, Calgary Flames; Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks.

JACK ADAMS AWARD (outstanding coach): Peter Laviolette, Carolina Hurricanes; Tom Renney, New York Rangers; Lindy Ruff, Buffalo Sabres.

JAMES NORRIS MEMORIAL TROPHY (outstanding defenseman): Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit Red Wings; Scott Niedermayer, Anaheim Mighty Ducks; Sergei Zubov, Dallas Stars.

LESTER B. PEARSON AWARD (most outstanding player as voted by fellow members of the NHLPA): Jaromir Jagr, New York Rangers; Alexander Ovechkin, Washington Capitals; Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks.

VEZINA TROPHY (outstanding goaltender): Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils; Miikka Kiprusoff, Calgary Flames; Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers.

So I guess the fans should just take for granted that the Flames are actually worth watching again and give them no support or appreciation for playing well this season.As someone mentioned previously in the thread, even the Rangers got a standing ovation from their fans at their last game so why wouldn't the supposed best fans in hockey (as some people claim) do the same? The fans have a right to be pissed but turning their backs on them after a tough loss is pretty poor. I was plenty pissed that Detroit once again bowed out early but I also accepted that Edmonton played better and earned it. And hey, the beauty of sports is that there's always next year.

Flames fans are nowhere near close to the best fans in the league. They practically had to beg people to buy tickets. I'd give them appreciation, but I don't think the fans owe them anything.

Flames fans are nowhere near close to the best fans in the league. They practically had to beg people to buy tickets. I'd give them appreciation, but I don't think the fans owe them anything.

I agree with you completely about the fans. Most of my dislike for the Flames has to do with their bandwagon fans. The team was just about gone from the city and the only time the fans started to give a shit anymore was when they got good again, which is crap.

I don't think Brodeur will win the Vezina trophy this year Bob. Kiprusoff is up for the Hart so I think it's a lock he will win the Vezina as well. Plus he had the better season considering he put up better numbers, and played on a team that can't give him much goal scoring support.

The bold was my personal picks.

I don't think he'll win either, I think Miika is taking it as well. The Rangers collapse killed their chances at winning some awards.

I think Colorado or San Jose is making it out of the West, and New Jersey in the East

Guest Felonies!

I'm pulling for the Avs and Oilers. The Avs still score, and even though Edmonton went to the dark side and abandoned offensive hockey, I'd rather have a Canadian team go far than a Californian team. Ottawa would be ideal. Fuck the Devils.

I want San Jose to play Ottawa. San Jose plays in a huge market and has very loyal fans, and Ottawa is Ottawa. It won't happen, the Devils are a fucking machine.

San Jose vs New Jersey isn't comparatively bad, as almost any series will be better in the ratings than Calgary-Tampa Bay.

Guest Felonies!

I can't handle another New Jersey finals appearance, let alone win. PARTY IN THE PARKING LOT!! Their shitty miniscule fanbase makes the White Sox look like America's Team.

CALDER MEMORIAL TROPHY (outstanding rookie): Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins; Alexander Ovechkin, Washington Capitals; Dion Phaneuf, Calgary Flames.

FRANK J. SELKE TROPHY (outstanding defensive forward): Rod Brind'Amour, Carolina Hurricanes; Mike Fisher, Ottawa Senators; Jere Lehtinen, Dallas Stars.

HART MEMORIAL TROPHY (most valuable player to his team): Jaromir Jagr, New York Rangers; Miikka Kiprusoff, Calgary Flames; Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks.

JACK ADAMS AWARD (outstanding coach): Peter Laviolette, Carolina Hurricanes; Tom Renney, New York Rangers; Lindy Ruff, Buffalo Sabres.

JAMES NORRIS MEMORIAL TROPHY (outstanding defenseman): Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit Red Wings; Scott Niedermayer, Anaheim Mighty Ducks (He makes such an impact, it's not even funny); Sergei Zubov, Dallas Stars.

LESTER B. PEARSON AWARD (most outstanding player as voted by fellow members of the NHLPA): Jaromir Jagr, New York Rangers; Alexander Ovechkin, Washington Capitals (The players love this guy, and he IS the most outstanding player in the league. Jagr should win an award, but he's getting squeezed.); Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks.

VEZINA TROPHY (outstanding goaltender): Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils; Miikka Kiprusoff, Calgary Flames; Henrik Lundqvist, New York Rangers.

I want San Jose to play Ottawa. San Jose plays in a huge market and has very loyal fans, and Ottawa is Ottawa. It won't happen, the Devils are a fucking machine.

Ottawa murdered Jersey right before the winning streak started. Don't put too much stock in the fact they swept the Rangers; the powerhouses are coming now.

Ottawa vs Buffalo is going to be a long series, so I think that will play a part.

Also, a week after Ottawa beat Jersey, Jersey returned the favor with a 3-2 win in Ottawa. I trust Brodeur much more than Emery, that's basically what it comes down to. No, I don't think Hasek will play another game in the league.

I think that Ottawa has the better defense, although both are very good, the Devils have a better goalie and that the offenses are near to a push with Elias in there. Carolina or Buffalo could ruin this, so I'd rather discuss it further when the time comes.

Erik Cole left the door open that if the Hurricanes were able to advance to the Eastern Conference Finals and possibly the Stanley Cup Finals, he would try to return. Probably won't make much of an impact like he did in the regular season, but his presence could inspire the rest of the team.

Ottawa d. Buffalo in six

Jersey d. Carolina in five

Edmonton d. San Jose in seven

Colorado d. Anaheim in six

NHL Awards:

Calder: Ovechkin

Selke: Brind'Amour

Hart: Thornton (twist the knife)

Adams: Ruff

Norris: Lidstrom

Pearson: Jagr (since he has to win something)

Vezina: Brodeur

Western Conference Semi-Finals:

(5) San Jose vs. (8) Edmonton - Edmonton in 7.

(6) Anaheim vs. (7) Colorado - Anaheim in 6.

Eastern Conference Semi-Finals:

(1) Ottawa vs. (4) Buffalo Ottawa in 6.

(2) Carolina vs. (3) New Jersey New Jersey in 7.