TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Tino Standard

The OAO Raw Thread 5/1/06

Todd Grisham is a street beggar's Joey Styles...

My g/f, myself and my roomie all fuckin cracked up when Todd was out there... its like they replaced Joey with the clone of him they got to try and win over people.

That, or cloning is infact a harsh reality as we have now all seen what happens when you clone Joey Styles with Todd Pettingil.

I hated that Styles shoot promo, because it once again shows how much of an ego WWE has over its highly overrated superiority. HHH did a similar thing two months ago to Cena, basically exposing every valid shortcoming of the character, which only made Cena look like a fool and get more heavily booed. This promo, while awesome, did something weird. The people in that arena booed the stuff out of the building, proving that they really are a bunch of tools who just don't know any better. WWE brainwashing has led them to believe that WWE = real wrestling, when it is nowhere near it. The reaction to the valid critics of the product showed that most WWE fans are just as shortsighted as McMahon, and why nothing has changed in years.

After tonight, I think Lawler needs to lead the next "war" against ECW.

It doesn't seem like they're planning to bring in a new Raw GM anytime soon. Then again, it probably won't help WWE's current problems.

Once in a while, I do miss Bischoff though.

I actually liked Styles semi-shoot last night, though he should've broke Kayfabe a little more.

It DOES matter who worked the 6-man. WWE has yet to show any faith in Mitch, so if he didn't work it might be the beginning of the end for him, given every other member had work and promos.

Think about shit before you post.

IIRC, Mitch has a back injury, or is recovering from one (or something along those lines), so his ring time is kept to a minimum.

I don't think the crowd knew how to react to the Styles deal. On one hand he was being humiliated by the Spirit Squad, Edge, and then Lawler. Then Styles rants and in the end basically insults WWE fans, so his shoot got a mix of cheers, then boos, but mostly puzzled silence.

I think most people are overreacting simply because it was Joey Styles. It wasn't as great as everyone is making it out to be and hardly "saved" the show. Joey Styles needs to stick behind the announce table, anywhere else and he just doesn't fit.

It wasn't one of those industry-changing moments or anything, but I take it as a good sign that it was allowed to happen in the first place with enough truth in it to actually sound real.

No, it wasn't an earth chaning promo, but it was definitely unexpected, and it mixed in real life...the best angles historically have some time of real life element mixed in.

I thought it was interesting how the crowd wasn't reacting too much to what Styles said. I think they were shocked more than anything, since no one has really spoken that way on WWE television in years.

I don't know how much of a "shoot" or even "worked shoot" that Styles promo was... I mean, wasn't he just saying everything that's been on WWE.com for the last couple of months?

The promo by Styles was good. You could tell he method acted that thing and it's probrably the promo he'd like to cut in real life on Vince and Co.

Besides the promo, this show was totally missable.

No, it wasn't an earth chaning promo, but it was definitely unexpected, and it mixed in real life...the best angles historically have some time of real life element mixed in.

I thought it was interesting how the crowd wasn't reacting too much to what Styles said. I think they were shocked more than anything, since no one has really spoken that way on WWE television in years.

It also took place in Columbus. A venue that hasn't been the best crowd and is historically a mark crowd. The promo would have gone over better in the northeast or Chicago/Detroit/Dayton.

It DOES matter who worked the 6-man. WWE has yet to show any faith in Mitch, so if he didn't work it might be the beginning of the end for him, given every other member had work and promos.

Think about shit before you post.

IIRC, Mitch has a back injury, or is recovering from one (or something along those lines), so his ring time is kept to a minimum.

He's also green as grass. The other guys have put a lot of time in, except for Nemeth, who was already on the main roster as Chavo's caddy.

I really liked how they built the Squad up this week as credible workers.

Mike is the most energized of the group and he has potential to be a great character worker in WWE for a long time because he's so over the top. He won't ever main event because of his size though. Johnny Jeter is going to have the same problems. He has mass, but he isn't very tall and will have to get some huge oppurtunities to get over, but the talent is there.

I don't know if it'll take 2-3 years, but Kenny will main event a Wrestlemania. Quote me on it.

Mike is the most energized of the group and he has potential to be a great character worker in WWE for a long time because he's so over the top. He won't ever main event because of his size though. Johnny Jeter is going to have the same problems. He has mass, but he isn't very tall and will have to get some huge oppurtunities to get over, but the talent is there.

I don't know if it'll take 2-3 years, but Kenny will main event a Wrestlemania. Quote me on it.

I was calling for Ken Doane to main event Mania before he even debuted and despite the gimmick, I still think he'll get there. He's everything they wanted Orton to be except for the name.

They pretty much singlehandedly hit a home run with that Styles promo if you ask me. It was very close to reality, and close enough where I think it was so well done because Styles pretty much was speaking from the truth. I am shocked they actually went through with it because it exposes WWE to a degree, but it really IS necessary to do this to start up the ECW brand, and in the right way - the same way the whole brand was established anyway, as a competitor to "the others" and under a renegade like theme. So far to start the ECW tie-in, they are on a very VERY good track if you ask me. I expect the ONS show much more top notch than last year if that promo last night is any indication, in terms of the build for it.

Other than that, the show pretty much blew. The HBK/HHH interaction shows that I wouldnt be surprised to see a DX reunion in a few weeks time maybe.

I think they are still testing the waters to see if a DX reunion would still work. They teased it just right so far that they can still pull back on it if the idea starts to get cold.

I think they are still testing the waters to see if a DX reunion would still work. They teased it just right so far that they can still pull back on it if the idea starts to get cold.

If they are going to have a DX reunion, then a slow build like this is the way to go, especially everything that HBK and HHH have been through together over the past few years.

Right now, for the first time in a long time, I feel like we have the correct pieces of the puzzle all spread out on the floor to lead to another sort of wrestling boom, and if not that then at least another period where we get back to having fun TV week after week. Unfortunately, it's up to Vince an co. to put all of those pieces together.