TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

E3 2006: The Thread

According to Ken Kutaragi, the PS3 is too cheap at $600 dollars.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/706/706133p1.html

Also, Super Mario Galaxy footage (grainy quality, there are better versions floating around) but still very, very nice.

He's right, it is too cheap. Sony will be losing crazy amounts of cash on each unit developed, the production cost will be way higher than the selling price. Those blu-ray players ain't cheap.

Same thing went for the PS1 and PS2. Microsoft took a fucking wash on the original X-Box, same for the X-Box360. These companies take BIG losses on hardware at first and make it up in software, liscensing, and sales down the line when production costs go down. And based on the price point for blu-ray players so far, it looks like the margin of loss for Sony on these PS3s will be monumental.

Ah, the crazy world of video game economics, where the more units you sell at release, the more money you LOSE.

Oh yeah, except if you're Nintendo, who's sold every one of their systems at a profit.

And I'm so stoked that the Revol....Wii is going to have a real Mario game at launch. Not having one really hurt the GameCube in my mind.

Also, Super Mario Galaxy footage (grainy quality, there are better versions floating around) but still very, very nice.

He's right, it is too cheap. Sony will be losing crazy amounts of cash on each unit developed, the production cost will be way higher than the selling price. Those blu-ray players ain't cheap.

Same thing went for the PS1 and PS2. Microsoft took a fucking wash on the original X-Box, same for the

Oh, I know that's the truth, but that's not the consumers problem, it's Sony's. It's nothing but a slippery slope if it's accepted, however, and it has to stop now. Right now they're saying "$600 dollars for all this stuff you get is a great deal!", next time it will be "You know, $800 bucks for all this stuff you get is a fantastic bargain!", and so on and so on.

The PS3 with Blu-ray is nothing but a trojan horse, to get Blu-ray as the dominant format. What happens if Blu-ray does die out? Then it will cost even more for those games to continue to be manufactured on Blu-ray discs, and the benefit of having a Blu-ray player is moot. Look at the UMD fiasco.

Sony needs to learn a lesson, apparently the hard way. So be it.

Re: Wii Zapper -

Thats awesome, can't wait to play a bit of Duckhunt with that thing. :D

Same thing went for the PS1 and PS2. Microsoft took a fucking wash on the original X-Box, same for the

Oh, I know that's the truth, but that's not the consumers problem, it's Sony's. It's nothing but a slippery slope if it's accepted, however, and it has to stop now. Right now they're saying "$600 dollars for all this stuff you get is a great deal!", next time it will be "You know, $800 bucks for all this stuff you get is a fantastic bargain!", and so on and so on.

The PS3 with Blu-ray is nothing but a trojan horse, to get Blu-ray as the dominant format. What happens if Blu-ray does die out? Then it will cost even more for those games to continue to be manufactured on Blu-ray discs, and the benefit of having a Blu-ray player is moot. Look at the UMD fiasco.

Sony needs to learn a lesson, apparently the hard way. So be it.

Oh yeah I totally agree. I hope Sony chokes on this big time. They've had it coming for a while. Sony's probably passed Microsoft in the last year on my personal 'least favorite companies in the world' list, after that rootkit bullshit and all their shoving DRM down our throats.

Personally, I think selling these consoles at below cost is a load of bullshit. If this is allowed, all it means is that the companies that have enough capital to fall back on can lowball their products and fuck over the competition. In fact, it's illegal to do this in pretty much every other industry ('Anti-dumping' laws if I'm not mistaken), yet somehow in this industry its allowed.

Oh yeah, and the Wii-zapper looks awesome. I can't wait to play some shooting games with that thing.

Guest Askewniverse

Gran Turismo HD and MGS 4 look awesome.

The W!! version of Twilight Princess will be in widescreen..

and me with a widescreen TV..gee..hmm..

Yeah, but will it be anamorphic?

I am absolutely in love with Nintendo's Wii. What the hell did I just say?

Zelda (Wii Version) is making *me* crap my pants in anticipation, and I'm not even a hardcore Zelda fan. Andrew likely hasn't slept this week.

And if he has, he's dreamed of saving the princess over and over and over and over and over and over and over, etc, etc, etc.....

I've been going through many an emotional stage, and after tossing and turning for several hours, I have gotten myself a good 5 hours sleep in each of the past nights, thank you. :)

I'm giving the EB folks time to update their systems so I can change my preorder, then I'll call to check what the dealy-o is with it. However, many of the press folks commented that it seemed a bit less than intuitive with the Wiimote. Worst case scenario--it's still perfectly playable with the shell, just prettier on Wii.

On a related note...

http://www.todojuegos.com/modules/coppermi..._classicpad.jpg

A close up view of the Shell shows that we do indeed have two inner triggers...which doesn't look terribly practical, but I guess we'll see. However, this does even it up with the PS2/3 pad, giving us 4 triggers, 4 face buttons, a dpad, two analogs, and two other buttons. Home/Analog not really counting, anyway.

I'll miss the well-designed analog triggers of GC, though.

Maybe the inner triggers will work similar, but not exact, to the old Dreamcast triggers.

...yeah, that's a longshot.

How ya mean? DC also had analog triggers. Unless it's just the angle I'm looking at it on, it doesn't appear it will be like that.

Maybe the inner triggers will work similar, but not exact, to the old Dreamcast triggers.

...yeah, that's a longshot.

How ya mean? DC also had analog triggers. Unless it's just the angle I'm looking at it on, it doesn't appear it will be like that.

I just meant in the placement and how you'd use them.

Hands-on info:

Mario vs. DK 2...which doesn't play like the original or DK '94. Hm, okay...

http://e3.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3150647

Elite Beat Agents, which, yes, is the US Ouendan. Yes, the soundtrack is changed, but the gameplay is still good:

http://e3.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3150650

(Okay, this one wasn't hands-on..)

Metal Gear Portable Ops, for those who care about that sort of thing. :) :

http://e3.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3150639

LEGEND OF ZELDA PHANTOM HOURGLASS!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3150637

In a weird, and rather unexpected twist, control is based entirely on the style/touch screen. Hmmm...reading over how it actually works, it definitely sounds interesting, but now more than ever I'll need a larger stylus for my large hands (which comes with the DS Lite, fortunately).

I'm surprised there's no word about a US developer picking up Jump Superstars.

Sonic on Wii, which is a totally different game than the 360/PS3 title:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3150674

No real info or footage to show, but Golden Ax is getting a revamp on PS3/360 in 2007 (with a teaser trailer to be shown later at e3), and there's a Shadowrun sequel for 360 (there have been teaser screens, and everybody who actually has heard of the damn game is crossing their fingers hoping it's not just a generic FPS with no gameplay similarity at all to the original).

Solid Snake in Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Just beaten to it. Maybe Sonic is next?

If he's not then that's one bad thing about it.

But hey, Wario and Pit FINALLY made it in!

As well as...that knight guy from Kirby whose name escapes me at the moment.

Are they going to let you beat up a Nintendog? That ain't right.

Pit and Wario FTW. Snake is quite the shock, considering that HK has apparently not been too fond of Nintendo.

Oh my God. Pit! Wario! META-KNIGHT~!

No exaggeration, that's the coolest bit of news I've seen thus far.

A new DS kirby, this time a traditional platformer. Apparently you can mix powers now:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/kirby2/index.html

A ton of movies and pics from various DS games, including Megaman ZX, CV: Portrait of Ruin, Yoshi's Island 2, Mario Hoops 3 on 3, Children of Mana, the new DS FF games, DQ Rocket Slime, etc. etc.

Just click the link and pick out something you like:

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3games.html?pl...=popular&page=1

Anybody want to argue against Nintendo having the most solid performance this E3 so far?

As someone in another MB I go to said:

"Nintendo didn't just win E3 this year, they MADE IT THEIR OWN!"

Portrait of Ruin vids are really looking awesome. There are screens with one character on the screen at a time, but there's also a movie with both characters on the screen at the same time, so it looks like there may very well be 2 player wi fi coop. Joy!

There's too much awesomeness being displayed. My brain is broke and I need more synonyms for awesome.

Snake in SSB Brawl is possibly the damndest crossover yet.

But my attention is currently drawn towards the new Phoenix Wright game for the DS. Fuck yeah.

Hooray for Phoenix Wright, hooray for new Kirby, and hooray for the English version of Ouendan! Now I won't have to import.

snake0bx.gif

Its very unexpected and if I didn't read the article before I watched the video I would have been shocking. Its great that Snake is in though, espically since Metal Gear started on Nintendo.

Hooray for Phoenix Wright, hooray for new Kirby, and hooray for the English version of Ouendan! Now I won't have to import.

Yeah, I'll be damned that they brought over Ouendan. However, I'm not too surprised that it took Westernization and a re-package as Elite Beat Agents to do it.

928590_20060509_screen001.jpg928590_20060509_screen003.jpg

Though the loss of the J-Pop/J-Rock soundtrack and practically everything Japanese I love in Ouendan will make me sad, the re-package means new soundtrack and therefore new levels to play, which is definitely a plus.

The Smash Bros-eqsue version of the MSG Theme that plays when Snake gets out of the box makes that appearance much greater.