TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nokia

Tna's NEW "authority figure" is a former wwe booker &#33

Guest nokia

Link:

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=17900&p=1

Legendary wrestling manager and all time great promo man Jim Cornette has agreed to terms with TNA and will be debuting soon for the company in an "authority figure" role. Given Cornette's ability to cut fabulous promos and his ability to sell storylines, he should be a fabulous asset for TNA.

* Can't wait.....

YES! YES! YES!!

oh wait, didnt he slap a student once?

ah well fuck it, bring on CORNETT!

Also, any word on if he'll have creative input?

I do hope so, this really could be a turning point for TNA.

Guest Coffey

Yeah, I was going to say, if there was one non-wrestler that could've signed that could right the ship, Cornette is that man.

Whether it's official creative input or not, I'm sure Corny will at least add his two cents on how to improve stories and characters. He's too outspoken in that sense not too.

Also, I wonder if he'll be able to sell them on Matt Morgan now, since Morgan was unable to get in on his own.

YES! YES! YES!!

oh wait, didnt he slap a student once?

ah well fuck it, bring on CORNETT!

So will he be using his tennis racket to smack some sense into the TNA workers backstage?

--Regarding reports from PWI that Jim Cornette is coming to TNA, I do know the sides have been talking for some time but we haven't had any confirmation a deal has been made. Cornette is undergoing knee surgery on Tuesday and wouldn't be able to appear for a couple of months. There is virtually no chance Cornette would become booker of OVW when Paul Heyman gets pulled, which is inevitable. Nobody really knows who will be booking OVW at this point.

From Da Meltz.

Looks like PWI might be a little premature on declaring this a done deal.

I hope that they let Cornette have free reign on the mike the first time he shows up.

Guest jlvideo

I think it will a big time asset to TNA as i said they should bring him in. Maybe he could others get in that need work and also could help. Also bring back tag team wrestling. And help those get over with his promos. Maybe he can help bring in some of ROH talent.

Why is everybody so blindly enthusiastic here?

If Cornette did take over booking duties at TNA, there's a lot of bad things that could result.

1. Say goodbye to the X Division. Cornette is infamous for hating high-flyers and spot wrestling.

2. Cornette doesn't play well with others. He insists on getting his way, and only his way. If he had full creative control over TNA, he wouldn't listen to anybody else and would demand that everyone follow all his directions to the letter. If he didn't have full control, he'd eventually get fed up and quit or get fired, just like he has every time he's been forced to work on a booking committee.

3. Cornette has a very old-fashioned view of wrestling. Say hello to more Jarretts and Armstrongs on television, say goodbye to AJ Styles in the main event and all those multi-man X Div. scramble matches.

Also, if he's just going to be an on-air "authority figure" personality, what is the point? The average joe six pack isn't going to give a crap about Jim Cornette on their TV. Maybe they'll tune in the first time they see him delivering a blistering anti-WWE promo, but that's about it.

Why is everybody so blindly enthusiastic here?

If Cornette did take over booking duties at TNA, there's a lot of bad things that could result.

1. Say goodbye to the X Division. Cornette is infamous for hating high-flyers and spot wrestling.

2. Cornette doesn't play well with others. He insists on getting his way, and only his way. If he had full creative control over TNA, he wouldn't listen to anybody else and would demand that everyone follow all his directions to the letter. If he didn't have full control, he'd eventually get fed up and quit or get fired, just like he has every time he's been forced to work on a booking committee.

3. Cornette has a very old-fashioned view of wrestling. Say hello to more Jarretts and Armstrongs on television, say goodbye to AJ Styles in the main event and all those multi-man X Div. scramble matches.

The main word is COULD, some of the positive things that people believe could happen are just as likely to occur as the negative things you believe could happen. Don't be a hypocrite and say that everyone is being blindly enthusiastic when you are being blindly pessimistic.

He's doing pretty much the same role in ROH and they seem to be doing all right. Although I don't know if he has any creative control there.

He's doing pretty much the same role in ROH and they seem to be doing all right. Although I don't know if he has any creative control there.

He has zero creative control and is virtually an mouthpiece for the promotion. Gabe completely runs the creative side of things. ROH doesn't need Cornette but he's an welcome addition to the roster for the CZW/ROH storyline. TNA needs a facelift in the on screen management position, but don't place Cornette on the booking team. He'd actually fit in as he's old school like Jarrett. TNA has a problem, they rely on Jarrett style booking by using ROH's template. Cornette wouldn't fix the problems, he would only augment it.

That being said, Cornette is a master promo machine and he can do anything. I perfer he skips the masturbatory anti-wwe promo because it's already overkill.

He has zero creative control and is virtually an mouthpiece for the promotion. Gabe completely runs the creative side of things. ROH doesn't need Cornette but he's an welcome addition to the roster for the CZW/ROH storyline. TNA needs a facelift in the on screen management position, but don't place Cornette on the booking team. He'd actually fit in as he's old school like Jarrett. TNA has a problem, they rely on Jarrett style booking by using ROH's template. Cornette wouldn't fix the problems, he would only augment it.

That being said, Cornette is a master promo machine and he can do anything. I perfer he skips the masturbatory anti-wwe promo because it's already overkill.

Everyone seemed to cream themselves when Joey Styles did an anti-WWE promo just last week, so I don't think it would be overkill if Jim Cornette did the same type of promo in TNA. Atleast Cornette would actually mean what he said.

Everyone seemed to cream themselves when Joey Styles did an anti-WWE promo just last week, so I don't think it would be overkill if Jim Cornette did the same type of promo in TNA. Atleast Cornette would actually mean what he said.

Cornette has done the anti-wwe routine for awhile now. If anything, he would just have to tone it down.

There's a lot of good and bad that go with this, but overall... I'd say this is good. TNA will never get Heyman, but Cornette is close in terms of a savior, and TNA needs help desperately. Some thoughts:

1) Cornette being a hardheaded sonuvabitch could be a good thing. TNA needs someone who will cry bullshit when management or creative does something stupid.

2) I hope to God that they put him in creative someday. I don't have a problem with an old-school approach to booking. Hell, at this point, keep JJ in the main event. Just don't center everything on him; push new guys. Give the X Division a dimension to it besides guys doing spots. They need characters and angles. Cornette is creative, and the current bookers are not. He's also talented, which the current bookers are definitely not. I think Cornette can look at TNA's problems and start trying to solve them. Telling better stories is their main problem (along with wrestling that doesn't lend itself to much psychology). Cornette could help with that.

Overall, I'm hoping this will wind up benefitting both parties, but time will tell. At the very least, we now have a DOA who isn't fucking pathetic.

I agree that Bischoff could be good, but they don't need to have a heel DOA, and that's the instant reaction to Eric. Cornette is a known rebel and it fits that he's in the "rebel" promotion