TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

What kind of computer do you have?

Since there is the cell phone thread, I figured I'd do another "what computer do you have?" thread.

I have a 12" Powerbook G4. It has a 1.5GHz processor with a 512K level 2 cache. It is a 80GB hard drive with a DVD/CD burner, blah, blah blah.

powerbook_g4_12.jpg

Guest Vitamin X

Right now I have a Dell Dimension 3000, which isn't quite the same computer it was when I first got it. Slowly but surely over time I've been adding and changing things, the real kicker will be sometime this summer when I get a new case/mobo/video card so I can edit at home as well as at school. I'm also planning on getting a new MacBook (I hear they're coming out pretty soon) by the end of the year, provided it's relatively powerful. Mainly I'd be using it for editing and of course portability, so I don't want to go all out for a desktop replacement or anything.

Guest Princess Leena

Homemade Athlon 1600, with pieced together crap.

I'm thinking of buying a new one, though. Well, once I get the bankroll a little more stable.

Homemade Opteron 165 Dual Core and a homemade Athlon XP 2400+. I have this Duron 1800+ laying around so I might make a third option. Right now, I have the internet computer(the XP) and the animation computer(Opteron)

I'm also planning on getting a new MacBook (I hear they're coming out pretty soon) by the end of the year, provided it's relatively powerful.

Are you talking about the next version of the MacBook? Because I would even wait until the one after that, until they fix all of the kinks with the Intel chip.

The PowerBook is perfectly fine for editing. I bought a external hard drive today and everything moved smooth editing wise.

Compaq Presario SR1200NX

AMD Sempron Processor 2800+

512MB DDR RAM

40GB Hard Drive

CD-RW (Added a DVD +/- RW Drive from my old computer)

Bought it 1 1/2 years ago for $199 at Staples on sale after some rebates.

There's really no excuse not to build your own system at home anymore, especially since all the pieces only go into the proper slots. It's damn near impossible to fuck it up if you follow instructions.

Gigabyte GA-7VM400AMF

Sempron 2400 (1.67ghz)

768mb pc 3200 ocz

ATI 9550 Omega driver

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 with Creative Labs I-Trigue 3400 speakers

1x 120gb who's brand I've forgotten

1x 80gb WD

DVD/CD writer

17'' AOC lcd display

Homemade...

Athlon 64 X2 (Dual Core) 3800+

2GB PC 3200 RAM

512MB PCI-X ATI Radeon X1300PRO

2x 80 GB WD Raptors RAID 0

1 External 160GB drive

17in LCD

DVD Player

DVD Burner

Guest Princess Leena

The only bad thing about building your own computer is getting all the singular parts for it... and nowadays, it doesn't end up saving you a whole lot unless you're the type that must have the most updated technology. And I'm the type that worries that one part will be faulty, and frustration will ensue.

Guest Coffey

Custom built rig with an old Gateway '98 monitor. Gig of RAM, GeForce 4 vid card, etc. Basically strong enough to play World of Warcraft, so, to me, that means it's up to date.

The only bad thing about building your own computer is getting all the singular parts for it... and nowadays, it doesn't end up saving you a whole lot unless you're the type that must have the most updated technology. And I'm the type that worries that one part will be faulty, and frustration will ensue.

That happens with retail computers as well.

NewEgg has good warranty plan addons and if you are even too scared of that, don't buy the OEM parts and buy the retail parts. There is only about a 5-10% difference in price but you get a better warranty.

Custom build. Don't remember much about it anymore since it's been awhile. Anthlon XP something or the other. Gigabyte mother board. DVD burner. Three hard drives--two 60 gigs and a 120. 21" CRT monitor. A gig or RAM. That's all I remember, really.

Tweaked to hell eMachines.

Sempron 3400+ Processor

1GB RAM

1 Samsung 80GB HD

1 WD 80GB HD

1 LiteOn DVD Burner

1 Samsung DVD Burner

Radeon 9500 PRO Video Card

PCI Capture Card

Creative Sound Card

Labtec 2.1 Speakers

19" CRT

It's a media machine. I use it to edit MN indy feds i tape onto DVD.

That happens with retail computers as well.

NewEgg has good warranty plan addons and if you are even too scared of that, don't buy the OEM parts and buy the retail parts. There is only about a 5-10% difference in price but you get a better warranty.

Plus getting a good computer for more of the higher end stuff would still cost you alot more. My Opteron comp cost me about 600 bucks total. That with case, ram, hardrives, motherboard and video card. You try to get a dual core Opty from a retailer, and you aren't getting under a $1000.

The ONLY reason not to build your own these days is not having tech support.

Guest Big Chris Studd

Homemade

AMD 64 3000+

Gig O' Ram

ATI 9700 Pro

120GB HDD

Samsung 17" LCD

Nforce onboard audio

WTB [Vidcard] [Harddrive]

Homemade...

Athlon 64 X2 (Dual Core) 3800+

2GB PC 3200 RAM

512MB PCI-X ATI Radeon X1300PRO

2x 80 GB WD Raptors RAID 0

1 External 160GB drive

17in LCD

DVD Player

DVD Burner

That is a damn nice rig right there.

For my desktop:

2 Ghz P4 (that I overclock up to about 2.6 Ghz if I'm playing games or audio editing)

1536GB RAM

GeForce 6600GT

80GB WD HD

19 inch Samsung monitor (CRT baby, who needs LCD)

Normally I'd be feeling the upgrade itch, but I havn't really gamed at all in ages, and I figure that when I do there are enough games that have come out in the past couple years that I haven't played that will still run fine on my system to hold me over for a long time. Maybe I'll upgrade when (if?) Vista comes out and I decide to take it up the ass from Microsoft as usual and early adopt.

My laptop is an LG LM40. It's 14 inch. Since I take it to school and stuff I really didn't want anything bigger than 14 inches.

It's a Centrino system at 1.5GHz with 512MB RAM, and a Radeon 9200 video card.

I wasn't even aware that LG made laptops until I was shopping for mine, but this thing was priced really nicely and had a lot of little features that really impressed like: XP Pro instead of Home, a built in SD card reader, a 3-year warrantee, and the fact that the RAM was packed into one DIMM and it had 2 so I can easily toss another 512MB chip in there when I need it.

Looks down at PC spec stuff:

HP Pavilion a844n

630 Intel Pent. IV

1 GB PC 320 DDR SD RAM

250 GB Hard Drive

DVD/RW, CD/RW

3GHZ, 2MB l2 cache, 800MHZ Front Side Bus

Don't know what half this shit means, but it runs fine for me.

iMac G5 - two iterations outdated.

It's the Power PC before they added the media center and remote, and before they switched over to Intel.

It's two models outdated and still not even a year old. Go Apple.

Homemade:

Gigabye KNS Ultra 939 MB

AMD Athlon 3200+(64 bit)

2 gig Corsair ram(dual channel)

160 gig sata hdd

250 gig sata hdd

Geforce 6600GT vid Card

LG Cd R/Rw Burner

BenQ DVD R/Rw Burner

Windows Xp Pro Sp2

Hauppage PVR 150(Tv Tuner PVR card)

My PC runs 24/7 w/out a hitch.

Not entirely true.

The Rig I built for myself would have ran me 1000$ more if I would have bought a pre built system. As far as tech support goes, I have a degree in computer programming, so if something does go wrong(not often)....I can fix it.

My specs are in the post right above this.

I would like to say that unless Tyler is overclocking, I have the best computer here. HA.

Ripper - doesn't have much in life and must cherish every little victory he has.

Since there is the cell phone thread, I figured I'd do another "what computer do you have?" thread.

I have a 12" Powerbook G4. It has a 1.5GHz processor with a 512K level 2 cache. It is a 80GB hard drive with a DVD/CD burner, blah, blah blah.

powerbook_g4_12.jpg

I have the 14" variety, but same basic principles.

Columbia L (GA-8SIML) Ver 1.0 (Legend) µATX motherboard

Intel Pentium 4 2.5 GHz

HDD Maxtor Falcon series

HLDS GCE-8481B 48x/24x CD-RW drive Mistwhite/Grey

HDD Maxtor d540X-4D Romulus Series

DVD 16x/48x Samsung DVD-616T

HDD Seagate U6 series

Video Component

Leadtek NV17 GeForce 4 MX

GeForce 4MX440 / 4MX440SE (NV17/NV17SE) 64 MB DDR AGP

A lot of that means bugger all from where I'm sitting. Works okay. I want to improve it though but I'll be damned if I know where to start.