TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

NBA Offseason Thread

I am torn on the trading Shawn Marion front. On one had, yeah, good trade bait and with Diaw there, he would be great in a Kurt Thomas/Amare/Diaw front line with a Tim Thomas coming off the bench.

On the other hand, you don't trade Shawn Marion because you have Tim Fucking Thomas on your team. Don't get me wrong, love what he has done with the suns this year and hope to keep him, but you don't trade SHAWN FUCKING MARION because you are going to replace him with Tim Thomas.

I would say that Shawn is somewhat expendable right now, but I can't think of what you would trade him for except a center. And you don't need a scoring center...just a rebounder/defender. I can't think of one of those in the league that is worth trading Shawn Marion for.

Well, the ideal would be Ben Wallace, but all indicators are he is going to end up back in Detroit.

Camby is too brittle. I don't think he'll play anything over 65 games a season for the rest of his career.

Guest Felonies!

Ben Gordon for Steve Francis? Fuuuuuck that. Marbury too, for that matter. Hands off of Gordon, Hinrich, and Deng.

Aren't Gordon and Crawford more or less the same player, anyway?

Of course, I guess that didn't stop them from trading for Francis in the first place.

Of course, I guess that didn't stop them from trading for Francis in the first place.

If the Knicks gave up a first round pick in 08 to do this, they'd practically be trading 3 top 5 picks for 2 players, one of which sucks.

If the Knicks gave up a first round pick in 08 to do this, they'd practically be trading 3 top 5 picks for 2 players, one of which sucks.

Which is why it'll probably happen. If they were trying to get Hinrich, an actual PG to play the point I could live with it, but no, let's get another undersized, shoot too much 2 guard who can't play 'D' to save his life. We need to corner the market on those players. It's reached the point where the favorite team of my youth has almost completely turned me off to the entire sport because there's absolutely no hope this will get any better unless all of the Dolans die in a plane crash or something of that nature. When firing Layden turns out to have been a mistake, you know there's just nothing positive going on.

I don't know where the Dolans get the idea that Isiah's doing a good job. That's the only reason he's still around.

I don't know where the Dolans get the idea that Isiah's doing a good job. That's the only reason he's still around.

The Knicks still make at least $1 profit by continuing to raise ticket prices and/or the prices of luxury suites. As long as that's the case it doesn't matter to the Dolans whether the Knicks win 59 games a year or lose 59 games a year.

Don't the Bulls already have the rights to the Knicks first round pick in 2007? They have the option to switch picks with NY if they want.

That has to mean that both picks are unprotected and theirs to have. If the Bulls get #1 outright as a lottery team, they wouldn't switch. This trade takes away all wiggle room from the Knicks.

NY Daily News is reporting that Charles Dolan is maybe going to buy out Larry Brown from his contract. Someone explain to me how this asshole is looking to fire Larry Brown yet Isiah Thomas is still the GM?

Because Larry Brown fucked that team beyond recognition last year and did one of the worse coaching jobs in recent NBA history.

Isaiah has the Jerome James trade that you can point at him, but he drafted Lee, Ariza(who brown wanted traded for some reason) Robinson, and Butler, and got Stephon Marbury for basically nothing.

People should also remember that Isaiah wanted to trade penny hardaway's contract to portland for Miles and Ratliff, but Larry said he wanted Steve Francis. You know, before people try to put that up as a negative on Thomas.

Seriously, New Yorkers are such spoiled asses. Take Billy Knight and you will see a bad GM.

Isiah Thomas is the worst GM in modern NBA history...gave up Sweetney and 06 and 07 #1 picks for Eddy Curry...an overweight soft big man with heart problems and gave him a 60 million dollar deal? Isiah's strength as a GM is his draft picks yet time and time again...Knicks were a flawed team and Isiah shoulda started over as soon as he got to NY...trading your only reliable big man Kurt Thomas for Quentin Richardson, getting old Jalen Rose, trading an expiring contract for a guy thats been a cancer and demanded 2 trades more or less Steve Francis while already having Marbury and Crawford just compounds the problem...and these guys arent tradeable..maybe Jalen because of his deal...but Marbury and Francis arent going anywhere with their huge contracts..dont kid yourself

NY Daily News is reporting that Charles Dolan is maybe going to buy out Larry Brown from his contract. Someone explain to me how this asshole is looking to fire Larry Brown yet Isiah Thomas is still the GM?

Because Larry Brown fucked that team beyond recognition last year and did one of the worse coaching jobs in recent NBA history.

Isaiah has the Jerome James trade that you can point at him, but he drafted Lee, Ariza(who brown wanted traded for some reason) Robinson, and Butler, and got Stephon Marbury for basically nothing.

People should also remember that Isaiah wanted to trade penny hardaway's contract to portland for Miles and Ratliff, but Larry said he wanted Steve Francis. You know, before people try to put that up as a negative on Thomas.

Seriously, New Yorkers are such spoiled asses. Take Billy Knight and you will see a bad GM.

Isiah Thomas is the worst GM in modern NBA history...gave up Sweetney and 06 and 07 #1 picks for Eddy Curry...an overweight soft big man with heart problems and gave him a 60 million dollar deal? Isiah's strength as a GM is his draft picks yet time and time again...Knicks were a flawed team and Isiah shoulda started over as soon as he got to NY...trading your only reliable big man Kurt Thomas for Quentin Richardson, getting old Jalen Rose, trading an expiring contract for a guy thats been a cancer and demanded 2 trades more or less Steve Francis while already having Marbury and Crawford just compounds the problem...and these guys arent tradeable..maybe Jalen because of his deal...but Marbury and Francis arent going anywhere with their huge contracts..dont kid yourself

Huge contracts are the only way to get other players with huge contracts. That or trade away your entire team.

Isaiahs problem is that he is New York's GM. They don't want to wait for the team to rebuild so he has to keep picking up these vets to try and get wins. But they still need to rebuild. The 07 pick was stupid, but seriously, who in the lottery this year is a given to be better than Curry?

Huge contracts are the only way to get other players with huge contracts. That or trade away your entire team.

Isaiahs problem is that he is New York's GM. They don't want to wait for the team to rebuild so he has to keep picking up these vets to try and get wins. But they still need to rebuild. The 07 pick was stupid, but seriously, who in the lottery this year is a given to be better than Curry?

no one is a given but put together 06,07,sweetney and thomas along with curry's many problems and you have yourself a terrible trade....and if Isiah rebuilt that team with direction..im sure NY fans would understand...Id give them that much credit at least

no one is a given but put together 06,07,sweetney and thomas along with curry's many problems and you have yourself a terrible trade....and if Isiah rebuilt that team with direction..im sure NY fans would understand...Id give them that much credit at least

That's what makes these moves so frustrating. We won 23 fucking games last year with a $100+ million payroll, when we could just as easily have won 23 games with a bunch of guys like Sweetney, the draft picks we gave up and the guys like Frye, Lee & Robinson. Rebuilding takes about 4 or 5 years, imploding the team and taking on every shitty contract in the NBA is going to cost us at least a decade or more to recover from.

Paxson has basically said the Post rumors concerning Gordon are BS and that he's not interested in trading him. I don't know if that means just not to the Knicks, or not at all, or what.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to trade Gordon while his value is high, but only if they get a quality big man in return. The Bulls have a logjam in the backcourt, and Gordon is likely the odd man out.

Trading for any of the Knicks garbage seems unlikely. Paxson is just too smart for that. Besides it would break the tradition of the Bulls fleecing the Knicks in their trades.

I say the same for Gordon that I say for Marion. What big man can you realistically get for him that would come close to being worth it.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

in 08...houston,rose,taylor,anderson and williams are all off the books and marbury and francis only will have 2 years on their deals...rebuilding could really start then...Knicks gotta just start letting contracts run out...this whole mess started with trading Ewing for Glen Rice and then signing Houston for $100 mil...instead of just letting Ewings huge contract run out

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

in 08...houston,rose,taylor,anderson and williams are all off the books and marbury and francis only will have 2 years on their deals...rebuilding could really start then...Knicks gotta just start letting contracts run out...this whole mess started with trading Ewing for Glen Rice and then signing Houston for $100 mil...instead of just letting Ewings huge contract run out

I'm almost willing to bet money that Isiah trades J. Rose and/or Taylor for somebody else with years on their bad contracts because he constantly gives away expiring deals to "acquire assets". Like you said, all the Knicks need to do is STAY PUT, let the shitty deals come off of the books over time and swallow hard for the next 2 years where they'll be lucky to win 50 games total. I just don't see the Dolans & Isiah doing that now, especially because they saw reasons to add Jalen and Francis last year when they clearly weren't going to help the franchise in any way.

I think getting rid of Larry Brown could help the process, because we all know that the last thing Larry wants (well, he implies) is more young players. He wants Kenyon Martin according to sources, and Isiah really doesn't want to pull the trigger. I think Isiah is really set on rebuilding now (declined trades for Frye, Lee, and Robinson, which included getting Artest, or Odom back), but Larry wants to win now.

Chad Ford on Insider talked about the Hawks making a play for Iverson this summer, possibly a package of Al Harrington or Josh Childress and the #4 pick in the draft since the Hawks have cap room to take Iverson's contract. If it was Childress and the #4 pick, I'd definitely do it, since the Sixers could then grab Marcus Williams with the #4 pick, then take Shelden Williams with the 13th pick if he's there.

Josh Childress is a future allstar.

I wouldnt' take that trade if I was the Hawks. I still personally believe that Joe Johnson would turn to a bitch if someone else comes along and shines. He started bitching up at the end of his wonderful year last year when Josh Smith started showing signs of becoming a allstar caliber player.