TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

NBA Offseason Thread

I saw an AI-to-Minnesota rumor earlier today at HoopsHype.com, it just said "for their lottery pick and players." I assume Ricky Davis would be involved in this trade, but the lottery pick goes to the Clippers if it isn't in the top 10, which would mess the whole thing up.

The Nets should try and swing a deal for Garnett if at all possible. Offer them anyone on the roster besides Kidd and Krstic and see what happens. It's not like they'll ever win a title once Kidd retires, so make one last run at it.

I don't really know what Cleveland can do since they already have Hughes and Z in place. That just leaves the PF & PG positions available for upgrade. Can they dump Gooden, and even if they could what would they get in return?

The Spurs can go to hell.

Cleveland put themselves in a bind when they signed Hughes. They just have to wait for Varejao.

The Wolves asked for Carter, Krstic and two first round picks for Garnett. That's a steep asking price but it may just be an opening for negotiations to take place.

Cavs need a shooter and an athletic PF. I'm not sure there is anyone out there. Their best bet is hoping that Reddick falls to them in the draft.

San Antonio just needs a healthly year from their big 3. It wouldn't hurt to add some athleticism to their bench, but they don't need any big moves this summer to assure their place at the top of the conference.

Yeah, I think Hughes got close to if not the same money Gilbert Arenas got when he came to Washington.

As they say on Sesame Street, "one of these things is not like the other."

I don't see the Nets trading Krstic, either.

Last summer I said that the signings of Z, Marshall, Damon Jones and Larry Hughes would make Cleveland a top 4 team in the east. Little did I know they'd become one in spite of those players instead of because of them. Go figure.

I thought Marshall did pretty good in the playoffs. Maybe it just appeared that way because he was totally useless when I had him on my fantasy team.

The Wolves asked for Carter, Krstic and two first round picks for Garnett. That's a steep asking price but it may just be an opening for negotiations to take place.

Cavs need a shooter and an athletic PF. I'm not sure there is anyone out there. Their best bet is hoping that Reddick falls to them in the draft.

San Antonio just needs a healthly year from their big 3. It wouldn't hurt to add some athleticism to their bench, but they don't need any big moves this summer to assure their place at the top of the conference.

I'd offer VC, RJ and the picks for KG. You can always get slashers, but 7 footers with small man skills are much harder to come by and the Nets need something to draw people to their building.

The Cavs have a lot of money tied up in shitty players for the next couple of years as Snow, Marshall and Jones are due about $16-17 million per until '08-'09, Hughes is making about $12 million until '09-'10. Gooden's making $5.3 next year. Z was a $9 million+ guy this year and that doesn't even touch LeBron's max deal if he chooses to stay. That's a lot of money for next to no help for Bron Bron.

The Clippers are out too.

So, do they cut the string on Cassell and is it Livingston's time?

I wouldn't. I'd try to keep Sam for one more year. Livingston will not be able to play 30+ minutes per game with his frame, and it's gonna take 2 or 3 more years for him to fill out.

I have no doubt that the CLips could win just as much with LIvingston getting the bulk of the minutes...probably more. BUT he is too injury prone to count on as your primary guard. Once he bulks up to 120lbs then maybe I would cut Sam loose.

But at the same time, this kid has the ability to be your franchise point guard with allstar capabilities. You can't bench him forever. Eventually they have to hand the franchise over to him.

How much would it cost to keep Sam? Even at 36 years old, he has shown himself to be the difference maker between a borderline playoff team and legit title contender two of the past three seasons. He's going to be looking for at least a 2 year deal for $5-6 million per.

It would just hold Livingston back too much to keep him in Cassell's shadow that much longer. If he really has the All-Star potential that everyone says he has, give him the keys now. There are other PGs out there that can be had to give you 15-20 mins a night.

If I'm the Clippers, I'm seriously thinking about getting KG. Trade Maggette (because any big Clipper trade will probably involve him), then Mobley and/or Radmonavic plus picks. The problem with the Clips is that they have lots pretty good players, but minus Elton Brand, they don't have any great ones. That's a formula destined for a 2nd or 3rd round playoff exit every year. The plus side is, they have enough pieces to spare for a shot at making a huge move while still keeping a solid core.

A starting five with Garnett, Kaman, Brand, Cassell, and Mobley (or another outside threat guard if he's traded).... Now that could win a championship.

I think the Hawks and AI thing is interesting. It would definitely create some interest in their franchise, but I'm not sure if it fills their needs. I don't follow the Hawks closely at all, so could someone who does inform me on their big-man situation?

KG is versatile enough to play all the frontcourt positions, depending on what is needed. Having KG on your roster is a good thing.

BTW, that is an interesting Clipper trade for KG. Might be something there since Maggette is definitely going to be moved.

Also cheech, the Cavs should not take Reddick. He's going to be lucky to even get his shot off in this league.

With all the open shots the Cavs got this year off of the double and triple teaming James dealt with, I don't see how he can't get open shots in Cleveland.

Also cheech, the Cavs should not take Reddick. He's going to be lucky to even get his shot off in this league.

I'm not high on Reddick. In fact, I doubt he's going to be much of a player in this league. But this current Cleveland team would be an excellent fit for him since he would get a lot of open looks. The Cavs are dying for a player that can make some open shots... it will take a lot of pressure of the other positions and keep teams from cheating to the middle.

Reddick will be lucky to be a 2nd round pick. I don't think he'll get his shot off in the league, even with double teams. The recovery defense in the league is still pretty good and the length of players in the NBA vs college game is enormous. Add to that Reddick isn't a good ball handler and will be an even bigger liability on defense and you see why I think he'll be lucky to be a 10-12th man on a roster.

Reddick probably won't slip past Utah. Their management is reportedly into him big time.

Luke Jackson was an awesome player at Oregon, but probably not the shooter that JJ is. I don't see why Reddick can't have a Kerr-like career (obviously not the same ability, but able to add a spark and some outside shooting from the bench).

Redick is going to get a GM fired for drafting him in the 1st round.

EFA

What does that mean?

It means Redick is going to be a bust and whatever GM was stupid enough to reach for him in the first round is likely booking a trip to the unemployment line. See, outside of Knick land, in the real NBA, GMs get fired for overt incompetence.

So whats with the cheap shot there? Calm yourself cheech.

And Redick is going to be alright. He's more than shooter. Last year he proved he can score in more ways than one. He may or may not be a lottery pick, but he's definitely a first rounder.

This year's draft pool is pretty shallow. I don't think either of the big 2 college names (Reddick and Morrison) will have spectacular NBA success. That could affect a lot of potential trades, because draft picks this year have less value. Tyrus Thomas is the only guy I see who could make an immediate impact. I was hoping Joakim Noah and Corey Brewer would come out this year, because I think they'll be good NBA players. As it stands, draft picks this year are like pesos instead of dollars.

Next year's the year to get a top 3 pick since potentially you can land either Greg Oden, Joakim Noah, or Josh McRoberts. Depending on how a few other freshman play, the year to get a high pick is next year.