TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

NBA Offseason Thread

There are also a few high school seniors right now, who could come out next year. The list after Oden includes Thaddeus Young, Kevin Durant, and Brandan Wright. Also Julian Wright out of Kansas could come out next year.

Reddick probably won't slip past Utah. Their management is reportedly into him big time.

Luke Jackson was an awesome player at Oregon, but probably not the shooter that JJ is. I don't see why Reddick can't have a Kerr-like career (obviously not the same ability, but able to add a spark and some outside shooting from the bench).

Utah hasn't drafted a worth while player since lucking out with Kirelenko, but Reddick would put some fans in the seats for a bit.

You don't think Redick has the same ability as Kerr? Really? From what I've seen JJ's native talent is way higher than Kerr's was. The only difference is that Kerr has proven himself in the clutch whereas JJ's largely disappeared when he was on a large stage.

I think he'll have a good career in the NBA as a starter, as long as his role is clearly defined (spot shooter). If he's on a team like Cleveland or the Lakers where there's already a primary slashing scorer, I think he'd be a great option on the perimeter.

I'm really not sure that Utah's such a great situation for him though, as he'd be asked to be more of an all-around scorer, and I'm not sure he can do that against good defensive teams with shotblockers in the middle.

Utah hasn't drafted a worth while player since lucking out with Kirelenko

Hey, Deron Williams is gonna be a great player.

/Illini Fan

You don't think Redick has the same ability as Kerr? Really? From what I've seen JJ's native talent is way higher than Kerr's was. The only difference is that Kerr has proven himself in the clutch whereas JJ's largely disappeared when he was on a large stage.

I never had a chance to see Kerr at the same age as Redick so it's difficult to tell who had more raw ability.

The second part of your post is what really interests me. JJ has disappeared in big games against good teams. From what I've seen it's because he lacks the ability to create a good look do to his lack of speed and ballhandling skills. Teams that have a good defensive scheme or long, athletic perimeter defenders tire JJ out by making him run around looking for a shot or forcing him to take poor shots. This is a problem that Kerr didn't have, which suggests that there is gap in their true ability.

JJ will be lucky to be Kyle Korver, and KK went 51st in his draft. When in doubt don't draft a Dookie, the odds of a long, successful career are just not with you.

JJ is going to be fine. He will give you 15 a game on the right team. The right team being one that has a guy you HAVE to double, like Cleveland or the Lakers.

JJ will be lucky to be Kyle Korver, and KK went 51st in his draft. When in doubt don't draft a Dookie, the odds of a long, successful career are just not with you.

Right, because you wouldn't want to end up with the next Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng, Chris Duhon or Shaun Livingston. Those picks really backfired for their respective teams.

LOL!! at Reddick averaging double figures in the league, let alone 15. He won't even get that on Cleveland or Lakerland. Guess we'll see next year.

Do the Knicks still get the representative to come out and sit with the other teams?

I'm not positive that Redick would be a great fit in Utah, but with Kirilenko he can make anybody not look too bad on defense.

Whoever talked about Utah's recent draft woes was spot on, sadly.

Right, because you wouldn't want to end up with the next Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng, Chris Duhon or Shaun Livingston. Those picks really backfired for their respective teams.

When did Livingston go to Duke? Boozer's legs are shot. Battier, Duhon and Deng are roleplayers. And I'll grant you Brand and Maggette are stars or at least emerging in Corey's case, but what does Mr. Redick not have in common with any of those guys, while he DOES have in common with the legendary Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner & Bobby Hurley? No, it's not the color of his skin. It's the fact he doesn't have NBA level athletic ability.

That says nothing of current Duke "ballers" who have done nothing in the league like Mike Dunleavy, Daniel Ewing, Dahntay Jones & Shavlik Randolph, and soon to be bust Shelden Williams.

The next Trajan Langdon is more likely to be the next Trajan Langdon than the next Duke player who actually contributes in the NBA.

Laetner actually made an All Star appearance and put up near All Star numbers for a number of years. I wouldn't put him in that category.

The Trajan Langdon comparisons are the best analogy except Langdon is worse because he was a lottery pick while Reddick will probrably be a late 1st round-2nd round pick and even if he's not picked, will be invited to someone's camp.

Shavlik Randolph didn't even start at Duke, so it's not fair to call him a bust because he's not a star for Philadelphia. And Bobby Hurley looked like he was going to have a very good career in Sacramento until the car accident.

Really, I think Redick's problem at Duke was that he was a spot shooter who was trying to carry the offense as a LeBron or Kobe type. He didn't have the size to go to the basket against shotblockers and as a result when he had to face guys like Tyrus Thomas and Glen Davis, he couldn't get the job done.

In the NBA, he'll have a clearly defined role, and he'll be able to do what he does best which is shoot the basketball. He's never going to be a 20+ PPG type guy, but he should be a solid role player, and he could really help a team like Cleveland on the perimeter.

I'd be excited if the Sixers won the lottery, but not sure what Billy would do, though the last time he was in it he did pick Iguodala, and if it weren't for Larry Brown's overriding influence, he and Tony DiLeo would've taken Nowitzki or Pierce.

Shavlik Randolph didn't even start at Duke, so it's not fair to call him a bust because he's not a star for Philadelphia. And Bobby Hurley looked like he was going to have a very good career in Sacramento until the car accident.

Really, I think Redick's problem at Duke was that he was a spot shooter who was trying to carry the offense as a LeBron or Kobe type. He didn't have the size to go to the basket against shotblockers and as a result when he had to face guys like Tyrus Thomas and Glen Davis, he couldn't get the job done.

In the NBA, he'll have a clearly defined role, and he'll be able to do what he does best which is shoot the basketball. He's never going to be a 20+ PPG type guy, but he should be a solid role player, and he could really help a team like Cleveland on the perimeter.

Oh I know it's not fair to put Shavlik in the mix, I just can't believe a no talent piece of shit like him gets NBA money just because he hit the genetic lottery.

Hurley was alright, sorta like Jason Williams before they met their untimely demises, but everyone thought Hurley would be like Stockton and he was more of a Scott Skiles type.

I didn't mean to consider Christian a terrible player, but by no means did his prowess at Duke translate to an equal level of dominance on the NBA level. I still can't believe he was picked for the original Dream Team instead of Shaq. Oops.

There's two things that we can count on.

1. Seattle will draft a project.

2. Utah will draft a white guy.

WHOA. That sucks for Portland. Either Charlotte, Chicago or Toronto will get the #1.

Guest Felonies!

Shut up, conspiracy theorist. The freakin' Bucks got #1 last year. Who would rig it for the Bucks? Nobody gives a shit about the Bucks.

Guest Felonies!

Ah shitballs, we didn't get it? What a drag. Oh well. #2 is cool.

This has been insane. I wonder if this was rigged to help save the Raptors.

Because Toronto is a crucial market for NBA. Maybe they can get someone who can help hold Kobe to only 78.