TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dips

ECW gets a normal time slot

If they call it December to Remember my backyard fed from years ago will sue! Maybe they can call it The Fight Before Christmas, but that'd be stealing from my backyard fed too
Yes good luck with that lawsuit

claydude: "You can't call it that because 6 of us used that name when we jumped around our backyard"

Vince: "I'm sorry why aren't you washing my windscreen boy?"

/end of story

I was just thinking about the structure that WWE wants, with ECW being Double A, Smackdown AAA, and Raw being THE SHOW. Well that begs the question, is ECW even going to be it's own brand, or are they going to be forced to take shit wrestlers like Chris Masters and Snitsky types, and train them for awhile before the move on to Smackdown? I mean when people think of ECW, they think, Hardcore Wrestling, Technical Wrestling, and add in some Luchadores. They don't think of big waste of space Hoss's with no charisma hitting each other over the heads with chairs.

I certainly hope this new "ECW" isn't just going to be training ground for slugs.

In Vince's mind, technical wrestlers, hardcore wrestlers and luchadores ARE slugs, and Chris Masters deserves to be on the big stage.

Guest El Satanico

It's not like the real ECW only dealt with the creme of the crop. Masters and Snitsky aren't any worse than 911 and The Pittbulls.

WWe's ECW is gonna require some compromise from fans of the original ECW. It doesn't have to be a replica, to be a good show. It's an hour of Heyman booked TV...everything else is gravy.

Guest Human Highlight Reel

ECW Going Global

WWE Chairman Vince McMahon has big plans for ECW. In fact, in a Friday afternoon interview with WWE.com, McMahon revealed, “We are taking the ECW brand global.”

Going worldwide with the likes of Paul Heyman, Tommy Dreamer and Sabu, however, is miles away from where ECW was prior to its closing in 2001. In fact, stationed out of Philadelphia, many looked at ECW as just a northeastern wrestling promotion. But the recently re-launched ECW will not have much of a struggle making an impact both here in the United States and overseas. In fact, according to Mr. McMahon, ECW already has plans for its own Merchandising and Licensing, International Sales, consistent Live Event schedule, as well as its own set of pay-per-views.

But with so much of WWE’s global enterprise behind it, can ECW be expected to be the same ECW it was when it developed its cult-like following in the late 1990s and early 2000s?

“We will bring forward many of the more legendary characters of ECW’s past,” said McMahon regarding today’s ECW. “But it can’t be the same. That’s pretty much impossible. It’s now five years later. A lot of the performers now have five more years under their belt, and the ECW style has taken a great deal out of them. This is something that the ECW audience already realizes. They know that if ECW was still in business today, they would be very different from what they were five years ago.”

While the re-launched ECW will undoubtedly be different from the original ECW, McMahon is adamant that the brand will not stop pushing the envelope, nor will it be like the already successful WWE brands SmackDown and RAW.

“It will be an alternative, there’s no doubt about that,” claimed the WWE Chairman. “It won’t be shot the same way we shoot SmackDown or RAW. It’ll have a different feel. It will be more gritty. There will also be more imagination put into concepts and characters. But at the same time, there will need to be a delicate balance because there are three masters to serve. There’s the small, vocal ECW audience. Then there’s the SCI FI audience that is accustomed to things more SCI FI. And obviously, you have to also be true to our broader audience in terms of what sports-entertainment is today.”

With so much of the vision of the new ECW brand already mapped out, many wonder what took WWE so long to re-launch the brand. According to McMahon, it was all about timing.

“Over the last several years, we have been busy re-establishing the concept of ECW without it having to be its own brand,” said McMahon. “Now, with the success of The Rise and Fall of ECW DVD and the success of last year’s One Night Stand pay-per-view, it just seemed right. And it feels like this year’s One Night Stand pay-per-view will be a launch to re-establish the brand.”

So with the launch of the re-established brand right around the corner, will former ECW head Paul Heyman have a role? “Absolutely,” exclaimed McMahon. “But at the end of the day, Mr. McMahon is in charge.”

Those comments about the ECW style taking a lot out of the performers worry me, as do the comments about the Sci Fi fans wanting Sci Fi, and concepts being more imaginative. The way Vince talks, it sounds like he's going to be the guy behind the majority of ECW's dealings, not Heyman, but we'll see

Guest El Satanico
Then there’s the SCI FI audience that is accustomed to things more SCI FI.

That's a hilariously scary thing for Vince to say. Maybe RoboCop helps RVD beat Cena.

Then there’s the SCI FI audience that is accustomed to things more SCI FI.

That's a hilariously scary thing for Vince to say. Maybe RoboCop helps RVD beat Cena.

They'd need Arn there to sell it properly though.

December to Remember sounds good to me.

No, that's November. It's November to Remember. December to Dismember.

Or, Big Ass Blizzard Bash/Blast as they had one year.

November to Remember was ECW's Wrestlemania, and December to Dismember was usually their Backlash, except I think sometimes they held off until their big January event, "House Party" And then the big new angles usually started with Cyberslam.

Alright I went out and got a cable box and upgraded my cable so I could get more channels including the Sci-fi channel. So the new ECW better be worth it and Comcast better not make the Sci-fi channel a free channel for basic cable anytime soon or I'm going to be pist!

Guest DaGoodz
ECW Going Global

WWE Chairman Vince McMahon has big plans for ECW. In fact, in a Friday afternoon interview with WWE.com, McMahon revealed, “We are taking the ECW brand global.”

Going worldwide with the likes of Paul Heyman, Tommy Dreamer and Sabu, however, is miles away from where ECW was prior to its closing in 2001. In fact, stationed out of Philadelphia, many looked at ECW as just a northeastern wrestling promotion. But the recently re-launched ECW will not have much of a struggle making an impact both here in the United States and overseas. In fact, according to Mr. McMahon, ECW already has plans for its own Merchandising and Licensing, International Sales, consistent Live Event schedule, as well as its own set of pay-per-views.

But with so much of WWE’s global enterprise behind it, can ECW be expected to be the same ECW it was when it developed its cult-like following in the late 1990s and early 2000s?

“We will bring forward many of the more legendary characters of ECW’s past,” said McMahon regarding today’s ECW. “But it can’t be the same. That’s pretty much impossible. It’s now five years later. A lot of the performers now have five more years under their belt, and the ECW style has taken a great deal out of them. This is something that the ECW audience already realizes. They know that if ECW was still in business today, they would be very different from what they were five years ago.”

While the re-launched ECW will undoubtedly be different from the original ECW, McMahon is adamant that the brand will not stop pushing the envelope, nor will it be like the already successful WWE brands SmackDown and RAW.

“It will be an alternative, there’s no doubt about that,” claimed the WWE Chairman. “It won’t be shot the same way we shoot SmackDown or RAW. It’ll have a different feel. It will be more gritty. There will also be more imagination put into concepts and characters. But at the same time, there will need to be a delicate balance because there are three masters to serve. There’s the small, vocal ECW audience. Then there’s the SCI FI audience that is accustomed to things more SCI FI. And obviously, you have to also be true to our broader audience in terms of what sports-entertainment is today.”

With so much of the vision of the new ECW brand already mapped out, many wonder what took WWE so long to re-launch the brand. According to McMahon, it was all about timing.

“Over the last several years, we have been busy re-establishing the concept of ECW without it having to be its own brand,” said McMahon. “Now, with the success of The Rise and Fall of ECW DVD and the success of last year’s One Night Stand pay-per-view, it just seemed right. And it feels like this year’s One Night Stand pay-per-view will be a launch to re-establish the brand.”

So with the launch of the re-established brand right around the corner, will former ECW head Paul Heyman have a role? “Absolutely,” exclaimed McMahon. “But at the end of the day, Mr. McMahon is in charge.”

Those comments about the ECW style taking a lot out of the performers worry me, as do the comments about the Sci Fi fans wanting Sci Fi, and concepts being more imaginative. The way Vince talks, it sounds like he's going to be the guy behind the majority of ECW's dealings, not Heyman, but we'll see

And here we see the 2 reasons why this idea is most likely doomed.

1. Most ECW fans won't be able to accept the differences.

2. At the end of the day, Vince is still in charge.

Alright I went out and got a cable box and upgraded my cable so I could get more channels including the Sci-fi channel. So the new ECW better be worth it and Comcast better not make the Sci-fi channel a free channel for basic cable anytime soon or I'm going to be pist!

Does Comcast have different channel sets for different parts of the country? Because I'm living in Atlanta and I have Comcast and Sci-Fi is a free channel for basic cable.

Does Comcast have different channel sets for different parts of the country? Because I'm living in Atlanta and I have Comcast and Sci-Fi is a free channel for basic cable.

Yes. Comcast has differant sets of channels for just about every area.

I thought this was kind of funny.

Many users on sci-fi forums related to the Sci-Fi Channel, including Sci-Fi's own forum, are blasting the network for adding wrestling.

Credit: PWTorch.com/411

Pro Wrestling might ruin the prestigious name of Sci-Fi entertainment.

WWE.com has reported that Ghost Hunters will be live on RAW to investigate the phenomena that has been disturbing Kane in recent weeks.

ok, not really, but this is the direction I am worried that the new ECW will go.

Many users on sci-fi forums related to the Sci-Fi Channel, including Sci-Fi's own forum, are blasting the network for adding wrestling.

Hehe, we should invade the forums.

If you saw some of the wrestling fans that have "invaded" the Sci-Fi network's message board, you would understand why some Sci-Fi fans don't like the idea of wrestling on the channel.

Yeah nothing says entertainment like giant pythons, anacondas, king cobras, alligators, or direct-to-cable sequels of dead franchises.

Yeah nothing says entertainment like giant pythons, anacondas, king cobras, alligators, or direct-to-cable sequels of dead franchises.

I think it says about as much as watching guys pretend to hurt each other.

The new Battlestar Galactica has been a massive critical success.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1141640,00.html

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/afiawards05/default.aspx

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/bests/2005/

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/918...galactic_terror

I could see them doing perhaps a Sci-Fi/Trekkie heel group - may be a good way to group some average developmental guys together or something for Stevie and Meanie to do? Perhaps another "Network" type character that pushes for Sci-Fi elements on the program at the direction of Vince McMahon that Paul Heyman and the original ECW guys find offensive. They could have fun with it with some creativity.

WWE.com has reported that Ghost Hunters will be live on RAW to investigate the phenomena that has been disturbing Kane in recent weeks.

ok, not really, but this is the direction I am worried that the new ECW will go.

Add Richard Dean Anderson to color commentary and Edward James Olmos as GM for the night and it would be the greatest RAW ever.

Plus the staredown between Adama and McMahon would end with Vince's head exploding.

If they were to do a Supershow they should film ECW that week from a small arena and make it their big show of the every few months, kinda like RAW/Smackdown! occasionally do when the other has a single-brand PPV. If ECW isn't going to be a part of the Big 4 (I don't think it should) then that'd be a good week to do a Supershow and have ECW do a big TV show from an intimate arena setting.

If they were to do a Supershow they should film ECW that week from a small arena and make it their big show of the every few months, kinda like RAW/Smackdown! occasionally do when the other has a single-brand PPV. If ECW isn't going to be a part of the Big 4 (I don't think it should) then that'd be a good week to do a Supershow and have ECW do a big TV show from an intimate arena setting.

They really need to tape Raw and Smackdown together to create a super show taping and give ECW a regular tape schedule from intimate arena settings with their own fan base. ECW could even be taped once or twice month. Hell, this should actually lessen production costs. There is no need for the seperate SD tapings. Maybe they worry about giving up that weekly house they pull in for the SD tapings but with their ratings on the network down and insistence on treating SD like the "B" show those tapings may not even draw for much longer. I would even save face with the network and make Smackdown 60 minutes or 90 minutes so the network can run a show that keeps the wrestling audience.

ECW is not going to work with WWE fans in Cena and Mysterio t-shirts. Especially when they are in cities that weren't necessarily ECW hot beds, we've seen examples of that the past few weeks on Raw with lukeworm reactions to ECW. Put the Heyman-Foley debate from tonight's Raw in the Hammerstein Ballroom with Faith No More Guy, Hat Guy, and the fan regulars and it would have played entirely different They need ECW fans and an intimate setting to be ECW.