TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Celtic Jobber

Crappy Basic Cable Channel Lineups

The ECW on Sci-Fi thread where some people said they don't have the Sci-Fi channel gave me the idea for this thread. It sucks because in many towns, like mine, there is only one choice for a Cable company (aside from getting a dish).

And it's also pretty expensive now since they go up on the price like every year (it's now $46.99 for basic cable here after taxes and a "franchise fee").

Does anyone else here not receive seemingly common cable channels such as Comedy Central (which sucks because I love South Park), E!, Bravo, BBC America, or MTV2?

This is our local lineup on CableOne in Pascagoula, MS:

2 ABC WLOX ABC Television Network

3 FOX WXXV Fox Network

4 WGN WGN Chicago

5 CBS CBS Television Network

6 TV GUIDE TV Guide

7 IND WKFK-7 Independent Station

8 PBS PBS Television Network

9 QVC QVC Shopping Network

10 FOX Fox Network

11 NBC NBC Television Network

12 TBS TBS

13 LOCAL ACCESS Local Access

22 DIGITAL INFO Digital TV Information

23 ESPN2 ESPN2

24 ESPN ESPN

25 CNN HN CNN Headline News

26 CNN CNN News

27 MSNBC MSNBC

28 USA USA Network

29 CMT Country Music Television

30 SPIKE TV Network for Men

31 MTV Music Television

32 VH-1 VH-1

33 HISTORY The History Channel

34 TLC The Learning Channel

35 DISCOVERY Discovery Channel

36 A&E A&E Network

37 ABC FAMILY ABC Family Television

38 FX FX

39 FOX SPORTS (SO) Fox Sports South

40 TNT Turner Network Television

41 THE WEATHER CHANNEL The Weather Channel

42 HGTV Home and Garden Television

43 FOOD Food Network

44 LIFE Lifetime Television

45 ANIMAL PLANET Animal Planet

46 EWTN Eternal World Television Network

47 AMC American Movie Classics

48 WB Warner Brothers Network

49 TV LAND TV Land

50 NICK Nickelodeon

51 DISNEY Disney Channel

52 CARTOON Cartoon Network

53 INSPIRATION The Inspirational Network

54 TCM Turner Classic Movies

55 SCI-FI Sci-Fi Channel

56 CNBC CNBC

57 FOX NEWS Fox News

58 BET Black Entertainment Television

59 C-SPAN 2

60 ABC WLOX 24/7 Weather ABC Television Network

61 CSPAN Congress & Senate Coverage

62 HSN Home Shopping Network

98 INFOMERCIALS Infomercials

99 INFOMERCIALS Infomercials

And really, who needs even one Infomercial channel, much less two?

I have digital cable, so I get a shit load of channels and I am only paying $5 a month. Well, I guess it is included in my rent, but whatever, still a good deal.

Guest Felonies!
And really, who needs even one Infomercial channel, much less two?

Mississippians. Who do you think is buying that shit?

I get everything free.

But I suggest you do some reading on how agreements are signed and such for carriage on systems. Interesting stuff.

I have digital cable, so I get a shit load of channels and I am only paying $5 a month. Well, I guess it is included in my rent, but whatever, still a good deal.

Even on Digital Cable which costs about $13.00 extra (including receiver rental) the only extra channels are Hallmark, CourtTV, G4, Boomerang, ToonDisney, Discovery Science, SoapNet, and a few more ESPNs.

And, here in Mississippi, people don't buy shit off infomercials they buy it at Wal-Mart, because it's basically the only store in town (unless you go to Alabama... LOL).

Looking at your listing the only thing I didn't have was the "INSPIRATION Network." But we have Comedy Central, E!, Sci-Fi, Bravo, and BBC-America; only MTV-2 is the upgrade Digital Cable channel. I can't believe you are missing those channels, they seem like a much more essential package than half the channels you have. I noticed your channels only go up to 62 and ours go to 73 before the infomarcial channels, so that could very well have something to do with it.

All I can recommend is complaining to your provider and claiming you can get Sci-Fi on the basic program somewhere else even if it's not true.

I steal satellite TV for free.

I Wouldnt go around bragging about that.

I have directv Total Choice + with HD channels. Theres probably at least 100 channels I haven't watched in 6 months though and I dont know of any channels that Im missing..other than the ones in HD that I want..

We have this local station here called KDOC that is ACE.

They have an afternoon block that shows Mission: Impossible, Magnum PI, Perry Mason, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and The Twilight Zone.

Unfortunately, two episodes of Becker is thrown in the middle of it. But I can change the channel while that is on.

I have pretty much the same channels here in rural Minnesota, except that our provider no longer has WB and we never had Insipration.

We have never gotten Comedy Central, E!, MTV2, or Bravo, and the last new channel we got was FX a couple of years ago. I've been meaning to look into digital cable, might be better.

You people should be glad you have cable, I have an antenna! The only things on that I'd watch are the fewer and fewer sporting events, Smackdown, and the odd Jackie Chan flick that comes on the UPN affiliate

The strangest thing we have in western North Dakota is BET. Which is quite odd because we are about 97% white, 2% Native American and the rest are other minorities.

I knew someone who was stealing cable from Time Warner but lost it the day he decided to complain about the video reception. :bonk: And I know another person who steals satellite with a "magic card" but the thing gets fried after a few months of use...

Gotta lotta of women's interest filler channels like WE, Oxygen, Hallmark, Soap, Style.

Guest Princess Leena

I Wouldnt go around bragging about that.

I steal everything.

I don't get caught.

Too much brain matter.

My lineup is:

02 TV Listings (w00t)

03 CFCN (CTV Calgary)

04 Broadcast News

05 ABC Spokane

06 CBC Calgary

07 Global Calgary

08 CityTV Calgary

09 Digital Listings (double w00t)

10 Shaw TV

11 SRC Calgary

12 CBS Spokane

13 Access TV

14 PBS Spokane

15 CBC Newsworld

16 NBC Spokane

17 Treehouse TV

18 MuchMusic

19 The Weather Network

20 YTV

21 TSN

22 FOX Spokane

23 W (formerly the Women's Television Network)

24 TLC

25 The Food Network

26 A&E

27 Rogers Sportsnet West

28 Country Music Television Canada

29 CNN

30 The Score

31 CNN Headline News

32 Showcase

33 Life Network

34 MSNBC

35 Discovery Channel

36 Bravo!

37 The WB New York

38 Teletoon

39 Family Channel

40 WTBS Atlanta

41 The Comedy Network

42 Turner Classic Movies

43 Spike TV

44 OLN Canada (No hockey, no point in watching)

45 The History Channel

46 Space

47 The Golf Network

48 Speedvision

49 Prime TV

50 CHTV Red Deer

51 Home and Garden TV

52 CTV Newsnet

81 Canadian Learning Television

82 MuchMoreMusic

83 Vision TV

85 Aboriginal Peoples TV

86 The Shopping Channel

87 Talk TV

88 CPAC

89 TVA

90 TV5

91 Réseau de l'Information

We're getting a satellite when we move to Hamilton. Hopefully, we get channels that show things I want to see.

The strangest thing we have in western North Dakota is BET. Which is quite odd because we are about 97% white, 2% Native American and the rest are other minorities.

Well it's still a major cable network....regardless of how many black people are actually in your town.

"Even on Digital Cable which costs about $13.00 extra (including receiver rental) the only extra channels are Hallmark, CourtTV, G4, Boomerang, ToonDisney, Discovery Science, SoapNet, and a few more ESPNs."

Well..I'd say that's pretty far from the truth. At least comparing the list you have, and the channels I get. Just looking at the numbers is a huge difference, as that list has like 64 channels, whereas my box goes from

4-153, 202-214, 300-315 (these ones are all sports though)...so that's about 170 channels (including omitted channels) compared to that 60 something..I'd say that's a little more then the 7+ you listed. just going through the guide..and it's not as if I watch any of these really I see Oxygen, WE, The N, GAS, Nick 2, Discovery kids, there's like 5 Bio channels, Sundance, IFC, FMC (which I never noticed...) Lifetime movies, and all those extra MTV's/VH1's and FUSE!

"Even on Digital Cable which costs about $13.00 extra (including receiver rental) the only extra channels are Hallmark, CourtTV, G4, Boomerang, ToonDisney, Discovery Science, SoapNet, and a few more ESPNs."

Well..I'd say that's pretty far from the truth. At least comparing the list you have, and the channels I get. Just looking at the numbers is a huge difference, as that list has like 64 channels, whereas my box goes from 4-153, 202-214, 300-315 (these ones are all sports though)...so that's about 170 channels (including omitted channels) compared to that 60 something..I'd say that's a little more then the 7+ you listed. just going through the guide..and it's not as if I watch any of these really I see Oxygen, WE, The N, GAS, Nick 2, Discovery kids, there's like 5 Bio channels, Sundance, IFC, FMC (which I never noticed...) Lifetime movies, and all those extra MTV's/VH1's and FUSE!

Well there's quite a few more than 7, but the vast majority of digital channels here are sports and science, nothing that really interests me other than G4, and I wouldn't pay the extra $13 just for that...

300 GOLF The Golf Channel

301 ESPN NEWS ESPN News

302 ESPN CLASSIC ESPN Classic

303 FOX SOCCER CHANNEL Fox Soccer Channel

304 SPEED CHANNEL Speed Channel

305 OUTDOOR CHANNEL Outdoor Channel

306 FOX COLLEGE SPORTS ATLANTIC Fox college Sports: Atlantic Region

307 FOX COLLEGE SPORTS CENTRAL Fox College Sports Central Region

308 FOX COLLEGE SPORTS PACIFIC Fox College Sports Pacific Region

309 FUEL Fuel Network

310 COURT TV Crime & Justice

311 SOAP NET Soap Opera Channel