TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

That show is still on?

I noticed how tonight was the finale for two long running sitcoms ('70s Show, Will & Grace), each of those shows lasted eight years. In the grand scheme of things, 8 years isn't too long but in the modern age of impatient networks, shows don't last as long if they don't draw the ratings in right away.

So what shows on TV, surprise you by still being on despite low ratings/season amounts/quality etc, etc or rather, recent shows you felt lasted way to long before finally going off the air.

I mean shows like The Simpsons and Law and Order are obvious but I can't believe shows like King of the Hill, King of Queens, ER and According to Jim/George Lopez are still kicking.

Guest wildpegasus

I don't like King of the Hill at all but I can see why they're popular. I wouldn't be surprised to see it last for awhile yet due to it being able to stick out from the pack. They were smart to do that.

In hindsight, the fact that Arrested Development stuck around for three seasons despite anemic ratings has to be considered quite the accomplishment. Someone high up at Fox must've really campaigned for the show to keep going. And frankly, I'm grateful.

NBC seems to have a history of letting their sitcoms run one or two season too long. Will & Grace, Friends, Seinfeld, Cheers, Night Court, TNBC... all went past their expiry date so NBC could milk every last dime from them.

I was amazed when I found out 7th Heaven was not only still on the air, but coming back for an eleventh season. I couldn't believe Charmed was still on the air, either, although it's finished as of Sunday.

David E. Kelley shows always seem to go on too long. The Practice, Boston Public, Ally McBeal, Picket Fences...even L.A. Law went a season or two past its expiration date.

Boston Public only went four seasons, but I think they ran out of outlandish storylines by Season 4.

I can't believe America's Funniest Home Videos is still on.

Yea, King of the Hill still being on is suprising, since they get preempted all the time. I don't think anyone still watches it.

ER, Family Guy, The Apprentice, The King of Queens (which I like, but lost its spark when Leah Remini got pregnant), any of those lameass "comedies" on UPN, and lastly Raw & SmackDown.

Guest Vitamin X

How could you bunch Family Guy in there? It just came back a year ago or so.

I can't believe America's Funniest Home Videos is still on.

That show can never run out of material for me. I always get a kick out of fat people, dipshits and whiny kids hurting themselves.

How could you bunch Family Guy in there? It just came back a year ago or so.

Because it got cancelled for a simple reason, the ratings were bad. It's also not funny. It also spawned the even worse American Dad.

Because it got cancelled for a simple reason, the ratings were bad. It's also not funny. It also spawned the even worse American Dad. And if I'm not mistaken, the guy who created the show is going to infest Fox with yet another show in the coming season. So, Family Guy will be responsible for no fewer than THREE horrible shows being on one network.

While I agree with you in that I think the show is horribly unfunny (save for Stewie), there were enough people who thought otherwise, so it's back, and good on Seth McFarlane, I guess.

I find it so funny that people here were pumped that FG came back and now that it is back, it sucks.

ER needs to go. They are running the same storylines over and over again, just with different people.

I thought it (FG) was fairly funny when it would keep a semblance of a plot, and the cutaway jokes were, you know, jokes.

Now it's over half cutaway jokes, and they're not even jokes. It's just straight-faced references to old cartoons, or the characters acting out a scene from a musical. Oh the hilarity.

Stewie Griffen, the untold story is one of the worst things I've ever seen.

I can't believe King of the Hill is still on. Never been funny. Rednecks LOVE that show for some reason though.

I'm sorta surprised the Simpsons people haven't hung it up yet. They have to realize the quality is dropping, and I'm sure they've already made scads of money.

I'm surprised NewsRadio lasted 5 seasons (well, 4.5). Although I love it, it got pretty terrible ratings. (I seriously can't fathom why) Plus, of course Phil Hartman sadly died. I think they should have done that touching, wonderful "Bill Moves On" episode as a tribute to Phil, then let the show die. It certainly couldn't have been fun to make after that.

I can't believe ER is still on. Not a single original cast member left, and unlike L&O, the show's been going downhill for a long time.

Guest Princess Leena

King of the Hill still makes new episodes? Damn... that show's shelf life was only about a year with the characters they had, and then they started dipping into the stupid junk like the Simpsons does lately. And wasn't really funny in the first place.

Smackdown... I'm amazed it still gets decent ratings on Friday nights, since people barely bothered to watch it on Thursdays.

I noticed how tonight was the finale for two long running sitcoms ('70s Show, Will & Grace), each of those shows lasted eight years. In the grand scheme of things, 8 years isn't too long but in the modern age of impatient networks, shows don't last as long if they don't draw the ratings in right away.
That's just one of the reasons why I will always resent shows like Survivor and American Idol and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire; the heads at the networks got obsessed with the instant ratings gratification that comes from those kinds of shows, and so they're no longer willing to let a show find its niche. It's also why shows today tend to blow their wad in the first season, and decline progressively from there.

I can't believe ER is still on. Not a single original cast member left, and unlike L&O, the show's been going downhill for a long time.
I disagree about ER, as I still feel that it's a good show; in fact, it's one of only four shows returning next season that I make it a point to watch every week. And, to be perfectly honest, the fact that there are no original cast members left is one of the things I like the most; I love the fact that they don't let the characters stick around long enough to get stale.

I haven't watched the new eps in a while, but King of the Hill is pretty funny if you've lived here and/or know real-life people who share traits with the characters on the show. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my dad is like Hank Hill in many ways, but I've always liked that show.

King of the Hill still makes new episodes? Damn... that show's shelf life was only about a year with the characters they had, and then they started dipping into the stupid junk like the Simpsons does lately. And wasn't really funny in the first place.

Mike Judge must be reaching SOME sort of demographic. I mean, it's essentially Office Space for rednecks, right?

Smackdown... I'm amazed it still gets decent ratings on Friday nights, since people barely bothered to watch it on Thursdays.

It's all relative. Smackdown's ratings make it one of CW's top three shows...

Power Rangers will NOT die!

I think they switched from Americanizing a Japanese show to just making a cruddy American show, but I'm guessing that because it's Disney now, I haven't cared about it since Turbo, maybe before

Power Rangers will NOT die!

I think they switched from Americanizing a Japanese show to just making a cruddy American show, but I'm guessing that because it's Disney now, I haven't cared about it since Turbo, maybe before

Actually, just browsing around, they are still using Japanese footage.

So it's not totally Americanized.

There's "The Price Is Right".

The only thing that's keeping this show alive is the fact that Bob Barker hasn't died yet. Not a single thing has changed in 30 years. Seriously, name another show where a woman caresses an object ( let's say a bottle of Centrum ) during its description ?

King of the Hill is ending after next year, it was supposed to end this year and they had a finale done up for it but FOX picked it up for one more year.

King of Queens was another example..I dont think its coming back next season though.

King of the Hill is ending after next year, it was supposed to end this year and they had a finale done up for it but FOX picked it up for one more year.

King of Queens was another example..I dont think its coming back next season though.

KOQ is a mid-season show.

I honestly thought that Boy Meets World was on air a bit too long. I loved the early years, but it just seemed forced after a while.

Fuck that. You can never have too much Tapanga. :wub:

There was a great drinking game for Boy meets World. Everytime they mentioned the name Topanga, you had to take a drink. They said her name so often, you were always feeling good at the end of the episode.