TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 61: Bitter Rivals

I can't believe that, of all the events for which I could've offered to pick up the tab, this is the one I picked.

Horrible, horrible show (except Stevenson/Edwards... I liked that one).

Guest Brian

I liked the first round ofStevenson/Edwards and Neer/Burkman, but everything else was shit. Well, Ortiz/Shamrock was acceptable because you knew there was going to be a slaughtering. But Frank Fucking Mir.

God damn that was awful.

The Shamrock stoppage looked like bs to me, the first 2 elbows landed clean but the ones after that didn't have much on them. I'm not saying Shamrock was robbed or something like that, but the fight could have continued for at least a bit longer.

Overall that was awful. Mir was so out of shape and he looked high. That was worse than your typical free Spike TV stuff.

I knew someone was going to bitch at the Ortiz/Shamrock stoppage. All of those elbows landed clean, just look at the fucking slow motion replay.

Even Courture, who isn't excatly the biggest Tito fan, said it was a good stoppage. Shamrock did nothing to defend himself.

Sylvia won, and will likely destroy Monson.

All I'm going to say is...

SILVA VS. LIDDELL NOVEMBER.... if Chuck isn't looking past Babalu!

Wow.....I don't know if I can EVER watch another heavyweight match in the UFC unless Vera is involved. That was just painful. I don't even care who the fucking champion is, they all fucking suck and are boring as hell. I honestly don't think I've been entertained by any UFC heavyweight bouts unless it's Silva or Arlvoski killing Cabbage.

And what was with Frank Mir? Is he pregnant? Jesus christ.

Someone said it best before. In Herb we trust. Yeah Tito probably would've finished it but that ref stoppage was waaaaaaaaaay premature.

I guess Tito's shot at Chuck is delayed now that Silva is in the equation. Chuck would kill Tito again anyway so it doesn't matter when it happens, Tito is dead either way.

It was loud where I was at so I couldn't hear Silva too well. What all did he say?

Guest Brian

Shamrock was pretty much gone. He wasn't blocking, they were coming down hard.

Silva's going to have a tough time getting there as well. He's got to fight in the openweight at least once, maybe twice on September 10.

Silva's going to have a tough time getting there as well. He's got to fight in the openweight at least once, maybe twice on September 10.

Chuck's got to fight Babalu towards the end of August, so it's pretty much even...

If Chuck is looking past Babalu, for Silva, he's going to get beat end of story.

Guest Brian

Chuck's got to fight Babalu towards the end of August, so it's pretty much even...

If Chuck is looking past Babalu, for Silva, he's going to get beat end of story.

It depends how you look at things. Babalu is going to have trouble taking Liddell down, so he's going to have to stand-up to start, and we saw how that ended last time. Silva's in a far more hazardous position in that he's going to (probably) face Cro Cop, and if he wins that, then probably Big Nog. And two weeks is still two extra weeks to heal up (or clean up).

Silva...

Liddell...

November...

Muthafuckas...

If this fight happens, I wouldn't expect to see it for AT LEAST another six months. Silva fights in September, if he somehow manages to win the tourney I would expect them to match him up with Fedor, and in December is Pride's biggest show, the NYE show, which they would most definitely want him on. Throw in the chance of Babalu beating Chuck and all the behind the scenes negotiations btw Pride and the UFC, I'm not expecting this fight anytime soon.

Shamrock had his hands up and the last few elbows from Tito only had about 2-3 inches of windup. Again I don't want to turn this into a "he wuz robbed!" argument but I did think they could have let it go a bit longer. Of course Shamrock still would have lost.

Didn't Shamrock's last fight in PRIDE end up basically the same way? Yeah I remember it now. He wasn't blocking any punches looked like he was out of it for a second or two, and right after the stoppage he was on his feet complaining. Same thing here, but with elbows.

Guest JustPassinBy

From the sound of everything, I'm happy to have just watched the Cory Spinks fight rather than pay money for this PPV.

I can't believe Meltzer was right about Silva/Liddell being announced tonight. Even he didn't think it was possible. Everyone and their mother thought the "big surprise" was the deal with HBO, and Wanderlei was there simply to watch the show.

Since they said that the fight would DEFINATELY happen in November if Liddell beat Babalu, theres no "Maybe in a few months". Couture outright said "November. Liddell v.s. Silva". There was no maybe, it's going to happen. It's one thing to suggest it, but another to outright announce a month and have you're HOF commentator say it's going to take place.

In THEORY, Silva has a chance now to become pretty much the undisputed greatest fighter to ever have fought in MMA.

He's been PRIDE Middle-Weight Champion since the beginning of the earth practically. He's in the Open-weight GP. In theory, if Silva wins the Openweight GP in August, beats Liddell and then beats Fedor on NYE, as unlikely as that all is, he will be PRIDE Middleweight champion, UFC Light-Heavyweight Champion and PRIDE Heavyweight champion and in the process probably have beaten the top three Heavyweight fighters in MMA, and the only competition Silva realisticly has for #1 in the LHW ranks.

As unlikely as that is, it's amazing. If Silva did this, in just FOUR MONTHS, I don't see how anyone could question his rank as #1 of all time. I can't recall anyone ever taking on this type of high-pressure workload ever before, and really, he's got everything to win and nothing to lose.

What's going to be interesting, is when the news breaks on WHY this suddenly happened. We knew Silva would be there, but there had to have been some major wheeling and dealing for this to take place. UFC promised a huge surprise, but generally their surprises are known, and kinda sucky. They blew this sonofabitch out with this one. I just know that I WILL get that UFC show if it happens, no question whatsoever.

I also think some crazed MMA fan needs to take a tire-iron to Babalu's kneecap to ensure we get this goddamn fight.

Snap predictions! Who wins? Silva or Liddell?

Would Silva finish Tito if they fought again today? Because I mean if he beats Liddell and holds UFC's belt he'll have to defend it against Tito.

Do you think Tito was pissed when they announced Liddell vs. Silva? I mean he was waiting for his shot and now he's got to wait and might not get the honor of getting killed by Chuck again.

Do you think Tito was pissed when they announced Liddell vs. Silva? I mean he was waiting for his shot and now he's got to wait and might not get the honor of getting killed by Chuck again.

Ortiz realizes there's money in him fighting either guy, so I doubt he really cares if he got leapfrogged by Silva.. He'll be fine working other guys until they become available, because, win or lose, Ortiz is fighting Liddell and/or Silva for a nice payday.

Silva will win. He hung with Cro Cop, who is a bigger, stronger, and more accurate striker than Chuck is. Chuck has never fought anyone as crazy good as Silva.

So Sylvia called out Monson......hmmm......I just don't see the appeal in this fight. Monson is a 250 pound midget going up against a puncher that's 6'8"! He's not even going to be able to get close to Sylvia.

I also think Shamrock/Ortiz was a work. If Ortiz lost it would fuck UFC up and if Shammy lost "cleanly" a third match would be worthless. This way they get the option of a third match and Ortiz stays strong. All about the money.

I do want to see Tim "The Slug" Sylvia take on Pride's best heavyweights though. Both guys in the title match were exposed tonight. What a disgrace.

ill never get another. what a waste. though the ELECTRICITY in the shammy/ortiz match was dope. same with the bloodbath. everythign else was a bore. luckily i only threw in 5 bucks. i just hosued a lame event, which i feel badly for my friends. the casual friends.

MMA build up's >>>>> WWE build up's...

Wandy Silva Vs. Chuck Liddell is like the MMA verison of Goldberg Vs. Steve Austin in 98... Or Bret Hart Vs. Sting in 93.

MMA has a good few months ahead of us.

I've never seen Pride... how good is Silva?

One of the greatest LHW's of all time.

People wanted to see Liddell Vs. Silva since the start of the decade pretty much.

According to Zach Arnold and Fightopinion.com, probably the best site for Japanese MMA news...

PRIDE essentially SOLD Silva to UFC. He's got a three fight UFC contract. He's no longer a PRIDE fighter. PRIDE will pay UFC everytime they book him.

I...Wow. If PRIDE actually did that, they must be in desperate shape to do something so idiotic. Silva's their top consistant draw...and to SELL HIM?

This fucks everything up. Everything. The GP might be in shambles.

I just...I'm in shock at PRIDE doing anything like this. Great for UFC though.

Thank God for Wanderlei Silva.

Hey, UFC Heayvweight Division? You're fucked. Done. Sure, there's Vera but he still hasn't beaten anybody noteworthy. The best they can do right now is build Vera up as a guy who finished a dude that their current champion couldn't.

Edwards vs Stevenson was great up to the blood, then it got awesome. Sucks that it was stopped but the last thing people are going to remember about that fight was Edwards getting to his feet before the round finished.

Fuck Frank Mir.

2 or 3 more elbows and the stoppage would've looked better but I can understand why it was ended. Tito was right, after the first elbow hits Shamrock is noticeably nondefensive and the 4 that follwed were all solid shots.

Burkman vs Neer was good but nothing special, aside from the triangle choke-bomb which was swank.

Like I said, the heavyweight division is fucked. Their champion is a counterpuncher who moves slower then molasses.

Thumbs in the middle, only for the Silva/Chuck staredown.

Meltzer put it best saying that they couldn't make the heavyweight title look important enough to fight over.

I mean they were both afraid of getting knocked out by the other so they were very conservative but shit! This is a title match! Go all out!

Sylvia fought a smart fight, Andrei didn't. When the gameplan you're going with fails you, change it up. The Pitbull was content to wade in with his left jabs and go for the big right hook. Sylvia had that solved after the second round but it didn't change up Arlovski's style at all. The worst part of that entire fight is that at the end of it neither guy deserved to win.

They better have a badass main event for whatever card Monson vs Sylvia is on because there's no way in fuck that thing will sell a PPV on its own.