TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Ultimate Fight Night V

FUCK ALL YOU WHO DOUBTED MY PICK IN ANDERSON SILVA.

RICH FRANKLIN IS HOLDING ON TO HIS TITLE TIGHTLY, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lei Tong, your avi will be picked within the hour. :)

Leben and Bonnar got exposed.

Bonnar has a good chin but no power at all, he almost lost to Whitehead and hasn't shown any ability to do damage with strikes. His striking is very very sloppy. When he punches he leans in with his face. Bonnar lost to Rashad and would lose to most good strikers as well.

Leben just got picked apart. That was a thing of beauty. Both of these guys have to learn that blocking strikes with your face is not going to work in the long run.

I was very impressed with Silva. He landed a lot of jabs and other very accurate shots. He moved side to side and Leben just whiffed over and over again while Silva was hitting with pinpoint accuracy. I didn't see Leben land anything at all really while Silva landed a half-dozen solid shots. Leben really looked lost. He would step in, whiff badly and get tagged on the way out. Or stand there and get tagged with a jab.

Leben's chin didn't look good at all in that fight, even the jabs were really bothering him.

Something to keep in mind is that Silva is also a lefty and that neutralizes the normal advantage Leben has.

Leben and Bonnar both got exposed as low skill brawlers.

Leben's chin didn't look good at all in that fight, even the jabs were really bothering him.

Most people assume that Silva is just "fast" and not powerful because of his skinny build. Why the hell can't he be both? I've seen most of his fights and his punches have never looked weak. Some of his best striking exchanges have come from his punches and not from his kicks or knees like most people would think. It's just like that bullshit about the "small" guy being faster and more technical than the "stronger" big guy. People always think in black and white. Well what if the big guy is stronger, faster, and more technical than the smaller guy? Then the little guy is fucked. I blame Bruce Lee and the martial arts explosion in America during that time.

I'll fully admit that I underestimated Silva's ability to hurt Leben (based more on overestimating Leben's chin than underestimating Anderson's power), but I somehow expected Leben to... I dunno, avoid SOME of the strikes, or at least shoot eventually. Instead, everything landed, and everything hurt.

It's also awesome that Silva TKOd both Leben and Rivera with a knee to their forearms. Everyone is saying it's a KO but it's not. In both fights, Silva beat them up and then finished them off with a knee that just dropped them due to pain instead of knocking them out.

Goulet won that fight.

He took the first round without question.

Second round was close, Luke did some good damage but was in trouble again the last 3 minutes. (AKA the majority of the round)

Goulet dominated for the better part of round 3 as well.

I'm tempted to give Luke the second round because of the damage he did in the first 1:30 but even then it is 29-28. 30-27 is fine with me as well.

Edit: I'm surprised by Leben as well, even though I think he is highly overrated. Basically every strike Silva threw hit him and seemed to either hurt him or shock him. He looked like a guy who had literally never been hit before.

I'll fully admit that I underestimated Silva's ability to hurt Leben (based more on overestimating Leben's chin than underestimating Anderson's power), but I somehow expected Leben to... I dunno, avoid SOME of the strikes, or at least shoot eventually. Instead, everything landed, and everything hurt.

Leben didn't have time to shoot :)

Rich Franklin was problay thinking "Oh fuck! Why did Dana have to sign this guy?!?!?!?!"

I sent your avi in the PM, I expect you to rock it soon. WOOOOOOOOOO!

That was the longest double post ever.

Anyway, I think the last two matches saved it for me. I don't know why they put Cummo on last? That made no sense, what would they have done if Anderson vs. Leben ran long? Have them fight but just not air it? Weird choice really. Great fight though, Goulet's relentless but his chin is suspect.

Anderson Silva proved that you're gonna have to strike with him at least a little bit to get into the clinch.

I can't believe Chris Leben was knocked out like that. He said the reason Cote's bombs didn't KO him were because they weren't hitting him in the right spot. I guess it's true that if your strikes hit someone in the jaw or temple that they will get knocked out. Pretty weird seeing him get decked so easily though, after we all thought his chin was made of granite. This marks the second time a Team Quest guy has talked mad shit about how their chin is superior to their opponent's and about how they were gonna rock them only to get KTFO. Nice touch from Anderson by giving Chris the water.

I wanted Rashad to win before this match started. Of course, I had only seen one of his fights, the TUF Final. After about two minutes I was rooting for him to lose. Horribly boring, almost goes into guard. I almost think if he falls on his back he'll turn over and lay flat on his tummy.

Gurgel was beaten handily, but not much damage.

A brown belt in BJJ doesn't mean much anymore.

I would have to watch again but it looked to me that a lot of the strikes that annoyed/hurt Leben hit him square in the face, in the upper mouth and nose. Not sure though.

I would have to watch again but it looked to me that a lot of the strikes that annoyed/hurt Leben hit him square in the face, in the upper mouth and nose. Not sure though.

Of course they did. There's really no need to watch it again to make sure. It was only the final knee that was blocked but still dropped Leben anyway.

Holy Fun.

WHAT WORKED

- Hominick's combos looked absolutely beautiful and the leg sweeps were fucking swank. Jorge hung in there but it's difficult to maneuver a takedown when Mark was doing such a good job avoiding the fence and cutting off his angles. Hominick vs Pulver. BOOK THAT SHIT.

- McDonald had some good takedowns and nice armbar. In one fight he did more then anything I've ever seen him in.

- AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Holy fuck, I'll be first to admit I thought that Leben would hump his way to a decison on this one. Silva lets everybody in that division know that if they want to take him down they'll pay dearly for it. That division just got dumped on its head.

- Cummo/Goulet was SWEET. Crazy groundwork, more active then Grove/Herman and people were touting that was a FOTYC. Lukes (force) choke at the end had us all freaking out, partly because it would've been a crazy comeback and partly because we didn't want to see Goulet lose so late. Goulet will move on from this, only to get popped in his cotton-candy chin and die another horrible death.

- Canada goes 3-0. Nice.

WHAT DIDNT

- Rashad Evans. If it weren't for his takedowns I'd have 100% hatred towards the man instead of 90%. I'm hoping the UFC crowd learns the "Stand them up" chant that other crowds have used. Evans is the only fighter who will move AWAY from a dominant position. The dude went from side mount to taking Bonnars back and then proceeded to go BACK to full guard. Jesus Fuck, either put him up against Chuck or give him a wrestler that will be able to test him on the ground. Bonnar did more in defense then Rashad did on offence.

Evans is the only fighter who will move AWAY from a dominant position.

This is the same fighter who would rock Hoger with punches, then proceed to take him down and do nothing besides let Hoger recover and work submissions.

That was a solid night of action. Nothing spectacular aside from Silva's complete destruction of Lieben, but all the fights had some good action.

So you think we'll ever see a title defended on one of these UFNs?