TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Superman Returns

Guest Smues

Just got back from the theatre (huzzah for a 10pm screening instead of the usual midnight one) and I loved it. From the moment the Superman music started playing I was hooked.

I thought Spacey's Lex Luthor was great.

And thank god it was the real superman suit. Eat my ass Tim Burton.

Superman has always been my favorite comic hero so of course I was going to like this movie, but I just like how with the exception of course of the bad guys he's universally loved, as opposed to say Spider-Man where he's got people for him and people against him and maybe the cops after him too. I had goosebumps when Superman stepped out of the plane at the baseball stadium and everyone cheered for him. I also liked the priority treatment he got at the hospital.

After all the crap this film went through in the 90's I was damn happy to see it turn out ok despite all the attempts to make it a pile of shit. I read an article somewhere that Superman Returns is the most expensive film ever made and ignoring foreign sales it would have to make over $500 million to break even. No way that happens domestically, but hopefully overall it can turn a profit. I want sequels.

And oh yeah, eat my ass Tim Burton.

I read an article somewhere that Superman Returns is the most expensive film ever made and ignoring foreign sales it would have to make over $500 million to break even. No way that happens domestically, but hopefully overall it can turn a profit. I want sequels.

I'm pretty sure that amounts to the $200 million budget for this movie and the close to $300 million the studios have wasted in all the years between the last Supes film and this one. That includes "pay or play" deals with the likes of Burton, Nic Cage, script comissioning to people like Kevin Smith, etc. If they wanna put all that wasted money from the Superman Franchise and mix it with the budget for this particular one I think that's really not fair.

Just read Ebert's review. He just sounds like a sour old fart who wanted fun and camp.

It would have been fun to give Superman a bright, sassy child, like one of the Spy Kids, and make him a part of the plot.

He's not being sarcastic. Why not put the fucking Super-cat in there too?

There is I suppose a certain bottom line of competence in "Superman Returns"

Christ, this coming from the guy who wrote Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, and said X-Men 3 was the best of the series. He's gone senile.

Just got back from the theatre (huzzah for a 10pm screening instead of the usual midnight one) and I loved it. From the moment the Superman music started playing I was hooked.

I thought Spacey's Lex Luthor was great.

And thank god it was the real superman suit. Eat my ass Tim Burton.

Superman has always been my favorite comic hero so of course I was going to like this movie, but I just like how with the exception of course of the bad guys he's universally loved, as opposed to say Spider-Man where he's got people for him and people against him and maybe the cops after him too. I had goosebumps when Superman stepped out of the plane at the baseball stadium and everyone cheered for him. I also liked the priority treatment he got at the hospital.

After all the crap this film went through in the 90's I was damn happy to see it turn out ok despite all the attempts to make it a pile of shit. I read an article somewhere that Superman Returns is the most expensive film ever made and ignoring foreign sales it would have to make over $500 million to break even. No way that happens domestically, but hopefully overall it can turn a profit. I want sequels.

I think we can all agree that Tim Burton lost whatever it is he had (or borrowed from someone else) a long, long time ago.

Well, Big Fish was supposed to be good. Corpse Bride was godawful though, and this is from someone who loved Nightmare before Christmas.

Ooh, and I really liked Sleepy Hollow.

Question: I've never followed the comic storylines at all, only knowing the basic characters and older movies. Did Superman ever have a kid with Lois in the comics?

Only in imaginary stories and alternate universes.

This was a fun summer film, and certainly a huge upgrade over the last two films, but not anywhere near as good as Batman Begins.

In particular, the Lex Luthor plot drags down the movie and the character (even though played well by Kevin Spacey) is more or less used as the same campy villain that he was in the original series. He's amusing, but not a serious threat by any means. All three Batman Begins villains were much better, as were villains like Magneto & Doc Ock in the Marvel movies. Parker Posey was horrible.

I kept waiting for Lex to kill her, but it never happened.

I did like that they treated Richard as a real character though, rather than just kill him off or make him an ass so that Supes can be with Lois. That love triangle and Supes relationship with his son is easily the best part of the movie.

Ebert hated it.

He didn't hate it, he just didn't think it was very good. I think below ** constitutes hating it

He also gave "Batman and Robin" 2 stars.

I can respect someone's opinion I disagree with if they give a good reason, but some of Ebert's reasons were preposterous.

I saw the film earlier this morning before work-

Really liked it, I'd put it below Batman Begins, Spider-man 2 and Sin City and the 1978 Superman in the pantheon of super hero films, but it's next after those for me-

I disagree with Ebert's take, and for once find myself more in step with James Beradinelli's view.

What I don't get is the main negative bone I keep hearing is Lex's real estate scam, saying that no one would want the land cause it's blag and jagged, well obviously had his plan worked he'd have developed and refined the place first, sounds like nitpicking to me. Love the call back after the plane was brought down with Supes saying- "Statistically speaking, flying is still the safest form of travel". And while he's doing his around the world montage some reported mentioned Gotham City, cool in-joke there.

Brandon Routh...man was he good, I completely bought him all the way, what a star making performance, Take that Hayden. Right up there with Hugh Jackman's turn as Wolverine in the first X-men. And I didn't find Lex brooding or sour, sure he was pissed at Superman, duh, but he was still refined and a smart-ass and I love Spacey in the role.

I will definetely see it again.

Just caught an afternoon showing with some buddies and we all loved it. Amazingly well done. I was expecting great things from this movie and it damn well delivered. It had amazing action, great characterization, and really good humour (without needing 'jokes' and slaptick crap like the original movies had). The special effects were awesome and the 'basic' stuff like him lifting off from the ground were seemless.

Brandon Routh knocked it out of the park with this. His delivery, mannerisms, and the way he looked were spot on for Clark and Superman/ Spacey was great as well, and the characterization of Lex in this movie was practically perfect. Kate Bosworth was really good in her role as well. I kind of wish that Lois had a bit more 'edge' to her. Kind of closer to the oringinal Superman movie, I actually think the chick on Smallville has Lois' characterization down perfectly. Lois still worked in this movie though.

There's just not enough good stuff I can say about that film. Go see it NOW.

Singer himself set the record straight and said that this movie came in under 180 million. That's not counting all the 'failed starts' and such, but those don't really have anything to do with this film.

This was a fun summer film, and certainly a huge upgrade over the last two films, but not anywhere near as good as Batman Begins.

In particular, the Lex Luthor plot drags down the movie and the character (even though played well by Kevin Spacey) is more or less used as the same campy villain that he was in the original series. He's amusing, but not a serious threat by any means. All three Batman Begins villains were much better, as were villains like Magneto & Doc Ock in the Marvel movies.

Are you kidding? Not a serious threat? Lex's scheme in this movie was hardcore

and the scene with him and his henchmen kicking the crap out of Superman was incrediably powerful. That was my favorite scene in the movie.

Parker Posey was horrible.

I did like that they treated Richard as a real character though, rather than just kill him off or make him an ass so that Supes can be with Lois. That love triangle and Supes relationship with his son is easily the best part of the movie.

I kept expecting myself to hate Parker Posey, but I thought she worked really well. I don't know, I can see how people would'nt like it, but for some reason I did. And yeah, the character of Richard was incrediably well written and acted.

Parker Posey was horrible.

I didn't mind her at all. Just in case...

she was supposed to be a bimbo throughout most of the movie ("Wow, that's something, Lex.."), so she didn't bother me.

One small "hey look at that" thing:

When Lois, Perry, & Jimmy are looking at the kid's cell phone shots in Perry's office, right before "It's a bird, it's a plane..." the one photo the kid took of Superman lifting the rear of Kitty's car looked like it was supposed to be a shot of the cover of the first Action Comics. Whether it was intentionally done, I don't know.

The movie was long. They could have shaved 15 minutes or so off, I thought. The flashback to Clark's childhood was completely unneeded. That's one scene, off the top of my head, that could have been left out.

I loved the cast. Jimmy, Lex, Superman, and yes, I liked Lois. I know there's been some criticism, but I liked her, myself. I loved Kitty and Lex's relationship. That scene between them after the museum robbery was one of my favs.

I'll just add that I liked how they held off until the last hour to finally have a Superman-Lex confrontation. Like ZGangsta said, I thought Superman getting his ass kicked was a really powerful. And Kitty in tears made it even more emotional.

Remembering a fav line of Kitty's already-

"Weren't there two of them when we left" Ewwww!!

I guess I'm in the minority here but I felt the movie was a steamer. The Alex Ross inspired visuals were very very pretty and spectactular. I also felt that musical score and the acting were very well done. But where did the movie go wrong with me? I'll tell you. Lex Luthor's involvement in the plot and motivation were garbarge. The fact that the movie close enough to a remake of Donner's "Opus". And finally, the pacing of the movie really bogged down the entire film. If you cut out Lex's scenes and just made it a love story, it sure as hell would have flowed better. To me the best part of the film was the

Gotham City

reference.

That whole angle was completely unnecessary and pointless. I'm not even a animal lover and I felt uncomfortable.

Cannibal pomeranian's? come on THAT'S GOLD!

And beside it wasn't an angle it was a bit, they left the dogs all alone in the house all that time and one ate the other,

then they paid it off with Kitty and Lex on the island at the end looking at the dog

That whole angle was completely unnecessary and pointless. I'm not even a animal lover and I felt uncomfortable.

That shit was GOLD! GOLD!

Maybe a bit too dark... nah fuck it. That was hillarious.

quote]Sounds like this is either a Love it or Hate it film.

Not at all. The critics are agog, most fans are raving, and no one says it sucks. It's going great in all circles.

In fact, only the most hard-core fanboys,seem not to like it. And Ebert, Who rated it the same as Batman v Robin. Someone likes his kitsch.

I thought it was a great flick. Routh was great and at times I caught myself thinking it was Reeves up there. Eerie.

Only two small things I wasn't so keen on were

the whole Superman has a son thing. I understand where they're going with it, but I would've saved a development like this for the "second" movie. That and the suit, it was a little

over-designed, IMO.

SR made $21 million on Wednesday.

That has to be a disapointment.

Is it, really? How is that number compared to others like Batman Begins or the Spider-Man and X-Men movies?

EDIT: Nevermind, I answered my own question. Just checked BoxOfficeMojo.com and SR is 9th overall among wednesday openings behind S-M2, LOTR3, SWEpI, Passion of the Christ, LOTR2, Matrix3, and War of the Worlds.

Among overall opening days, SR is 29th. It doesn't even come close to SWEpIII, XM3, or Harry Potter.

Indeed, it is a disappointment. Let's see how it fares on the weekend, maybe it'll pick up.

Guest Retro Rob

Is it, really? How is that number compared to others like Batman Begins or the Spider-Man and X-Men movies?

You really can only compare it to other movies that opened on Wednesday night, like Superman did. Spider-Man 2 has the biggest Wednesday opening ever with $40.4 million. Superman came in 8th on the list.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/?page=wed&p=.htm

In terms of opening days in general, Superman comes in 29th all time. Which is less than Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Hulk, X2, and X3 made.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/?page=open&p=.htm

Please 21 mil on a WEDNESDAY is anything but a disapointment for the first film in a series.

Yeah, BUT IT IS SUPERMAN.

Spiderman made $39 million it's first day. Granted, it was a Friday, but still.

That is a disapointment. Especially since the movie cost $350 million to make all together.

Yeah, BUT IT IS SUPERMAN.

Spiderman made $39 million it's first day. Granted, it was a Friday, but still.

That is a disapointment. Especially since the movie cost $350 million to make all together.

The movie cost 180 million to make. Where the hell do you come up with 350?

And yeah 21 million isn't great, but it's in pretty good teritory for a wednesday opening.

King Kong doing 9 million on it's opening wednesday, now THAT was a dissapointment. Especially with all the hyperbole in the press about how it could topple Titanic.