TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Superman Returns

And now that I've read the review, I have to say Ebert was pretty close to the mark with his review.

Does anyone have the plot summary for that piece of crap with the Draongball Z Kryptonian fights?

The Entire Story of The Atteempted Making of Superman V in The 90's

I saw the movie at the Ultrascreen which is about as close at the IMAX without paying for the insane fee's that my offer for the film. I thought that the film was great, with a lot of great performances overall. I really like Spacey, Routh, kid who played Olsen, and Perry White. Spacey and Routh both did the characters well, and Spacey was over the top, but not as bad as Hackman and Nicholson. Routh did good being the bumbling Kent, and played the role very well. The supporting cast did fairly good, and I even liked that guy who played Cyclops whom I hated. The kid really wasn't that damn annoying (see Superman III) and I liked the whole feel. I really didn't like Bosworth though, she wasn't that good as Lane. It wasn't worst peice of casting for a comic book film (honor goes to Alba in FF) but they could've casted somebody who at-least had a backbone. Overall, the second best comic book film I ever saw, next to Batman Begins. 9/10.

And that's my biggest problem with the movie. For some reason the idea of

Superman fathering a Superkid really bothered me because it kind of feels like a betrail of what the character was about

But you thought Batman Begins was better, even though they totally betrayed Batman's character by Batman not helping R'as off the train?

Superman fathering a Superkid really bothered me because it kind of feels like a betrail of what the character was about

But you thought Batman Begins was better, even though they totally betrayed Batman's character by Batman not helping R'as off the train?

I don't think that compromises the Batman character at all. Superman's character is compromised in a few different ways in SUPERMAN RETURNS however!

R'as would have been too dangerous to leave alive anyway.

Batman gave Ra a second chance when he didn't let him die in that explosion. He wasn't going to give him a third chance to form an army and come kill everyone. Plus simply put, Ra wanted to die and Batman realized he had to let him get what he wanted to be happy.

Batman gave Ra a second chance when he didn't let him die in that explosion. He wasn't going to give him a third chance to form an army and come kill everyone. Plus simply put, Ra wanted to die and Batman realized he had to let him get what he wanted to be happy.

He didn't know the guy he was saving was Ra

I saw it last night and didn't like it. It isn't because of any of the usual reasons that have been listed everywhere. It's just that the movie was...well, boring. Vyce was right in saying that the end dragged on and on. It wasn't a satisfying climax. The kryptonite thing didn't make sense. Luthor's nefarious plan was a bit too nefarious in its effects.

I don't know. I went in giving it every chance, but it just didn't do anything for me.

So? The one thing intrinsically ingrained into the Batman character over 70 years of comics (after they established the character after a few changes in the first year) is that he never ever ever kills anyone. No one is beyond saving, no one deserves to die. They've beat that point into the ground so many times in the comics over the years. So yeah, him letting Ras die was a fundemental 'betrayal' of the character.

Personally, I don't care if the movies follow the comic characterizations and stories exactly. I thought Ras death was a good scene and fit very well with the character and tone in the movie. And Batman Begins is my favorite superhero movie.

But yeah, it was a betrayal of the comic version.

As for the Superman goes Shawn Kemp angle (which I hated). For an explaination on why I hate it I defer to Brodie Bruce from Mallrats:

T.S. Quint: But they're engaged.

Brodie: Doesn't matter, can't happen.

T.S. Quint: Why not? It's bound to come up.

Brodie: It's impossible, Lois could never have Superman's baby. Do you think her fallopian tubes could handle the sperm? I guarantee you he blows a load like a shotgun right through her back. What about her womb? Do you think it's strong enough to carry her child?

T.S. Quint: Sure, why not?

Brodie: He's an alien, for Christ sake. His Kyrptonian biological makeup is enhanced by earth's yellow sun. If Lois gets a tan the kid could kick right through her stomach. Only someone like Wonder Woman has a strong enough uterus to carry his kid. The only way he could bang regular chicks is with a kryptonite condom. That would kill him.

It's R'as. Not Ra. R'AS. He's not the freaking sun god from Stargate...

Also, R'as Al Ghul = Immortal = Therefore Not Dead

Superman

having a kid makes sense because he had sex with Lois in part II although his kid having powers doesn't make sense since Superman had to lose his powers in order to make love to Lois

You're right, Deon. In regards to the kid in Superman Returns:

I didn't have a problem exactly with Superman and Lois having a kid, since they did have sex in Superman II after he gave up his powers. I found it a plot hole that the kid had any sort of powers himself. They could have mentioned something like "Whoa, Lois...he must have inherited my super DNA regardless of me giving up my powers."

Anyway, I have no real strong feelings towards this movie either way. It was like watching 1983's blockbuster in 2006. Truth be told I think Superman is slightly passe (as is DC in general..aside from a few major storylines Marvel has been more popular over the past 20 years). You can't really reimagine Superman like Batman, since the 1978 film was pretty definitive in terms of an origin, whereas there really wasn't a definite origin tale for Batman.

And really, isn't Luthor getting stale as the only real film villain of note for Superman? Let's mix it up here a bit, get SOMEONE else from his nearly 70 years of comics into the movies.

Doomsday? Darkseid (& The Intergang)? Bizarro? Livewire?

Hell, I think they could pull of a Superman/Liveware type deal, even though it was already done in S:TAS.

Personally i would use "The Return of Superman" storyline, minus the four Supermen.

Have Cyborg Superman and Mongul destroy a whole city and have Superman kick their asses all over the galaxy.

So? The one thing intrinsically ingrained into the Batman character over 70 years of comics (after they established the character after a few changes in the first year) is that he never ever ever kills anyone. No one is beyond saving, no one deserves to die. They've beat that point into the ground so many times in the comics over the years. So yeah, him letting Ras die was a fundemental 'betrayal' of the character.

Personally, I don't care if the movies follow the comic characterizations and stories exactly. I thought Ras death was a good scene and fit very well with the character and tone in the movie. And Batman Begins is my favorite superhero movie.

But yeah, it was a betrayal of the comic version.

I think it was in "Knightfall" when Batman put it best by saying he "won't kill anyone through action nor INACTION".

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with Batman letting R'as die if it wasn't for the "I won't kill you, but i don't have to save you" line. It just made the guy seem like he was NOT Batman at all. That scene, to me, could ruin potential movies in the future as well. If Batman vs Joker ends the same as Batman 1 then I guess Batty will just let Joker fall to his death without giving it a second thought.

Hell, I think they could pull of a Superman/Liveware type deal, even though it was already done in S:TAS.

Personally i would use "The Return of Superman" storyline, minus the four Supermen.

Have Cyborg Superman and Mongul destroy a whole city and have Superman kick their asses all over the galaxy.

How about Superman vs. Steel? I actually saw that comic in a collectibles shop earlier today.

Would Shaq reprise his celebrated role as Steel?

I dunno about doing that entire storyline. It was widely read I suppose but I don't recall particularly LIKING it.

I'd rather see a really cool movie of Knightfall. After the way Joel Schumacher portrayed Bane in Batman and Robin I think we are all owed that much. The only doubts I have about that would be Azrael. Would the average filmgoer accept him subbing for Bruce Wayne as Batman, or accept Bane beating Batman's ass initially?

Superman

having a kid makes sense because he had sex with Lois in part II although his kid having powers doesn't make sense since Superman had to lose his powers in order to make love to Lois

Superman may have lost his powers, but he was still a Kryptonian with Kryptonian DNA, which the kid inherited some of.

For the record, I can understand why there are concerns why this plot development might cast doubts on the quality of future movies, but I thought this movie worked fine. It was a great continuation of what was started 25 years ago...a hundred times moreso than the Ricard Pryor comedy or the pathetic "Quest for Peace."

^ Ah, touche, Y2J.

I really do hope for the next Superman movie, he fights Braniac or somebody that you know is a supervillain.

So, I'm left with wondering what, if anything, Lois remembers from the Superman II relationship they had. If Supes 3 and 4 never happened...why he just up and left and is that the whole reason they're estranged?

Returns doesn't overtly say if she got amnesia kissed at some point about his secret identity or not.

i didn't really like the movie because when Superman ejaculates, it's the mass confusion I'm so hypnotizin' cause an ill-*Splort*

http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html

Everyone has to read that.

It was written, what. 15 years before I was born? This is what scifi writers did when they were bored.

I think I read this shit when I was 12. I laughed and laughed, and I didn't know a fucking thing about Superman.. Well, nerd humor is still humor.

*splort*

Consider the driving urge between a man and a woman, the monomaniacal urge to achieve greater and greater penetration. Remember also that we are dealing with kryptonian muscles.

Superman would literally crush LL's body in his arms, while simultaneously ripping her open from crotch to sternum, gutting her like a trout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IV

Lastly, he'd blow off the top of her head.

*snort*

BWAHAHAHAHA Oh just read it.

And now that I've read the review, I have to say Ebert was pretty close to the mark with his review.

Including the bit about Spy Kids?

Guest ken adams

Loved the movie. The effects were great.

Couple of minor gripes, but I still liked the movie.

Anyone know why his outfit was burgundy, and not red? I hate when they change the uniforms.

How does everyone NOT know Clark is Supes? Cyborg can notice they are the same height & weight, but no one notices Clark & SM both left at the same time, & came back at the same time? C'mon!!!!

In SM 2, SM & Lois knock boots & she's pregnant. SM kisses Lois to give her amnesia. Fine.

At some point when she realized she was pregnant & SM was the dad, she had to remember he was Clark, right?

I think its a pretty safe bet to say that Brainiac will be a villian in the next Superman. I really can't see them trying to shoe-horn comic stories in as movie plots.

I think its a pretty safe bet to say that Brainiac will be a villian in the next Superman. I really can't see them trying to shoe-horn comic stories in as movie plots.

I'm sure we'll also see Doomsday somewhere down the road.

Brainiac

I've been waiting for him to come to the big screen. He's such a badass in Superman: TAS, and JL:U that he has to hit the big screen sometime.

"Goodbye Kal-El. Your death has been an unexpected bonus."