TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO ECW TV Week 3 Thread - June/27th/2006.

--The feeling this week, and this was strong, even though it changes daily, is that Vince McMahon is taking full control of ECW and taking it in his direction after giving Paul Heyman a measure of power last week.

Its going to be a constent battle for power for a LONG while.

More man-ass comedy?

Blue-Generation X.

It's golden.

The thing is, it's such a good idea, that I doubt it will happen.

We'll see.

Their catchprase is "blow it!", right?

"It Sucks!"

Stevie Richards as HBK.

Blue Meanie as HHH.

Nova as Chyna.

Oh man.

Imagine the fued they could have with DX?!

It'd make for some great fucking television.

Stevie Richards as HBK.

Blue Meanie as HHH.

Nova as Chyna.

Oh man.

Imagine the fued they could have with DX?!

It'd make for some great fucking television.

It has potential, except Stevie Richards would probably be told not to say anything smarkish or "off the cuff" while Triple H would be given free reign to bomb away on All three of Blue-Generation X without a script to hold him to.

True.

If McMahon had a brain, which he does, he just chooses not to use it most of the time, He'd just let Heyman run it. Afterall, It's Heyman's baby, and if it does well, then McMahon loses nothing at all.

True.

If McMahon had a brain, which he does, he just chooses not to use it most of the time, He'd just let Heyman run it. Afterall, It's Heyman's baby, and if it does well, then McMahon loses nothing at all.

Yeah, Ironic though how Vince thought bWo was hilarious because it was making fun of his competitor, but it would interesting to his take on a "Blue-Generation X" because it is making fun of his stuff.

One of the main things that I don't understand is why Vince just wont let Paul Heyman book the ECW shows. ECW was fucking great in terms of quality, most of the time, back in the day. The action was solid, most storylines were well thought out and interesting, and so on. Now that Vince is there to totally finance the company, they wouldn't have to worry about Paul Heyman fucking things up in terms of money.

Yes, I know that it's Vince's money and he doesn't just want to up and give control over something he owns, but still, it just doesn't make sense to me. Vince and WWE creative have no clue as to what ECW is all about, and all the while they have the brain powers of the old days working for them but aren't allowing them to reinvent for today what worked back then. A new ECW, with a few former stars but with a lot of new young and original talent would work today, I really do believe that. It could never be EXACTLY what it used to be, simply because so much time has gone by, but it could be a new version of what it used to be. The same type of action, the original and interesting storylines.

I wonder who Vince thinks bought the ONS PPVS, and who made the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD the hottest selling "WWE" DVD of it's time? Does he really think it was WWE marks that bought all that stuff?

So why is Heyman even employed then? Just as a figurehead so people actually think they are watching "ECW"?

Jesus, Vince can be a blockhead sometimes. Oh well this is his pet project, so if it crashes and burns, he can look in the mirror at his own stubborn self.

I just so don't understand why he wouldn't take the oppurtunity to make the ECW brand an alternative brand that would take business away from TNA, ROH, and other indy promotions, that are basically the leftovers we have now from what ECW was in the past.

I love how this went from, "Heyman will be booking ECW", to, "Vince wants his vision of ECW to be carried out", and in ONLY 3 WEEKS(The last 2 of which have been pretty decent) has turned into, "ECW is Dead, the fanbase is dead, ECW is simply going to be a third WWE show"

Vince = Stupid

Vince has Heyman on the payroll because he knows if he goes to TNA, ROH, or somewhere else he'll make that company that much better. By keeping him under his control until his contract expires, Vince keeps him from moving on.

I was myopic at first, but should have known better. Vince would never give ECW a chance to be better than either one of his shows...especially the RAW brand. I know I said this during the invasion when everyone was so excited about WCW and ECW under Vince's control...that Vince would never give them a chance.

As for Kelly...IIRC isn't she supposed to be booked as an inexperienced exhibitionist...so she is booked to have no clue as to what she's doing?

Well, the rating is in.

From PWInsider:

This week's edition of ECW on Sci Fi did a 2.2 cable rating, with a 4 share. That is down slightly from last week's 2.3 cable rating. The good news for the show is that the numbers built throughout the program, starting with a 1.9 quarter hour, going to a 2.1, then a 2.3, 2.3 and a 2.5.

One of the main things that I don't understand is why Vince just wont let Paul Heyman book the ECW shows. ECW was fucking great in terms of quality, most of the time, back in the day. The action was solid, most storylines were well thought out and interesting, and so on. Now that Vince is there to totally finance the company, they wouldn't have to worry about Paul Heyman fucking things up in terms of money.

Yes, I know that it's Vince's money and he doesn't just want to up and give control over something he owns, but still, it just doesn't make sense to me. Vince and WWE creative have no clue as to what ECW is all about, and all the while they have the brain powers of the old days working for them but aren't allowing them to reinvent for today what worked back then. A new ECW, with a few former stars but with a lot of new young and original talent would work today, I really do believe that. It could never be EXACTLY what it used to be, simply because so much time has gone by, but it could be a new version of what it used to be. The same type of action, the original and interesting storylines.

Right, plus the fact that it isn't like Vince needs the "ECW" brand to keep WWE fans interested, what he needs to be doing is using the ECW brand to make fans from TNA/ROH/Indys take notice that they now have another alternative, and they might end up buying an ECW PPV instead of a TNA show or an ROH DVD. It seems like all Vince wants now is to use the name "ECW" but just make it a third night of WWE programming.

At the start of all of this, reports said that Vince and WWE were going to allow ECW to be the old ECW for a while, in order to hook in all of those old ECW fans and all of the current ROH, TNA, and indie fans. Then, from there, they were planning on slowly backing off from the traditional ECW elements, and eventually ending up as a third WWE brand, only with the ECW name.

Now while that still would have disappointed me, it sure as hell sounds like a smarter way to go about all of this. The only reason I can think of that they decided against that is that they don't want those ECW fans in the first place, and instead they are just going to try to expand the already present WWE fan base.

Isn't Vince busy enough with RAW and Smackdown? Does he really have time to micro-manage all three shows on a weekly basis? This doesn't make any sense. He should be thinking about retirement soon, not worrying about the booking of a TV show based on a promotion built by a guy who works for the company...

Well, the rating is in.

From PWInsider:

This week's edition of ECW on Sci Fi did a 2.2 cable rating, with a 4 share. That is down slightly from last week's 2.3 cable rating. The good news for the show is that the numbers built throughout the program, starting with a 1.9 quarter hour, going to a 2.1, then a 2.3, 2.3 and a 2.5.

I was hoping it was lower than that. Even though we got a good RVD/Angle match out of it, that was just about the laziest written show to ever be produced on television. Everything they did was a copy of last week. We got a Sabu squash, Dreamer calling out Show and getting his ass kicked, Kelly dancing, Sandman caning a stupid gimmick, and a main event involving RVD and Angle.

Nothing about the show stands out as seperate from WWE or extreme except for maybe Sabu throwing a chair. We all know it's not going to be like the old ECW, but they could at least make an attempt to show us something different rather than showing us exactly what we see on Monday. What reason does any new fan have to watch when it's just a Raw with less star power? What reason does any ECW fan have to watch when it's not ECW and Vince never intends it to be?

I just wrote a 3900 character feedback letter to WWE from their website. I'd suggest we all do the same. Not that it will make any difference in the end but if we are going to be posting our logic on message boards, may as well send it directly to WWE. They still don't have a feedback area for ECW but I sent it other the Other Comments section from the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

Pretty much, I explained that the reason old ECW fans aren't there anymore is because they are turned off by WWE's product and how I'm the only person out of my college buddies that still watch WWE from the peak period.

I explained that the third brand needs to be an alternative to Raw and Smackdown. I explained that instead of being a cut-throat political mess creatively backstage they should just allow Paul Heyman to book ECW as his baby, see if he can generate ratings and a profit and spark a competiveness among the other creative teams to put out a better product.

I presented my ideal ECW roster consisting of a few old school ECW names but mostly repackaged underutilized Raw and Smackdown names and three ROH guys to consider. I explained how they can't expect a Hammerstein Ballroom audience feedback from a Smackdown crowd with a front row of kids in Rey Mysterio crowds. I pointed out how last night's crowd was more responsive to the brand. How it will take time for it to catch on but if they just let Heyman book something true to the original format, give them their own tapings so there is a more ECW atmosphere, it's very possible more ECW diehards will come back to it.

The chances of this being actually read.... well, I doubt it. I kept it professional and tried not to sound too much like a smart internet loser but dammit that's what I am.

The Sabu match this week was definately not a squash.

Yeah, I actually thought Roadkill made a pretty good impression on a first time viewer. And I still say they can do so much with a big mean crazy Amish character.

Not sure if anyone has ever sent one of these feedback things to WWE but here is their automated response.

"Thanks for your email to WWE. Please allow 1-2 business days for your

email to be reviewed.

Please be aware that WWE does not accept ideas for scripts,

screenplays,

storylines, ideas, music, business proposals, marketing concepts, or

for

anything having to do with character development, storylines or in-ring

activities. WWE does not consider or examine these materials. "

I guess they have to include that so someone doesn't try to file a lawsuit for ripping off a storyline they emailed. I just thought it was a funny thought that probably 70% of the submissions that get discarded are likely better than ideas used on Raw, Smackdown and I guess now ECW. Instead of doing a Diva Search they should do a Creative Guru Search and use it primarily to make fun of net folks like us.

So I'm wondering if my advice as to where to go with ECW falls into that category?

I remember thinking right after the show that it seemed like Heyman has compromised on every idea he could come up with, with the only concession being Sabu and Rob being protected.

After hearing Vince take 'full reins' of the show (cause he's a creative genius) they must have told him before the show went on the air and everything's dead in the water as of now, with only Sabu and RVD the only ones that were given a chance for the last 3 weeks.

The biggest hurdle, prior to hearing that Paul was shoved aside again, was a way to build up heels outside of the whole antiECW angle.

Now it seems that they're just gonna stick to the show being leftovers from Raw.

I wonder if they dropped the draftpicks idea too.

They're not airing any video packages at all for some reason, probably cause there's no one there they want to get over, and they havent thought of any new guys to bring up (besides Test)

And any clips they show would have good wrestling and good storylines which isnt the direction Vince wants to go in.

More appropriate footage would be early 1990s WWF. Anything with Papa Shango. Fans of all ages would love that.

If they're still planning another PPV in December, then they have plenty of time to have Big Show beat someone up every week. I cant wait

I have to agree on the classification of the match. They pulled off some great spots that all clicked well and had wonderful timing except for only the spot after Rob's step-over kick leading to him being pushed off the top before the break. I think Kurt hit the back of his head on the mat pretty hard and got his bell rung. The T-Bone spot in the corner and Rob going over clean after all the nearfalls was swank. Beautifully paced match.

True, Van Dam's delayed "off the top to the rail" spot made me think: "WWE Main Event".

But surprise, surprise, see what being given time can do for a televised bout? The match was actually worked like a well-paced WWE PPV match, which done correctly, resembles a great ECW TV/home video match from the 90's. Great job on both parts. Totally unpredictable finish, and a CLEAN one, to boot.

I just finished watching week 3 of ECW, and I have to admit, Sabu/Roadkill was a good opener(Roadkill is quite agile, considering his size) and Angle/RVD was a great main-event. I think RVD is a great worker, and I really don't understand people's criticism of him. Angle was great as usual, and he really complemented RVD's style. The clean finish was also nice.

As for the rest of the show, IT SUCKED. I'm sick of this Sandman/gimmick beatdown crap. I've hated it from week 1, and this week was the worst(I don't want to see anybody's arse hanging out). Dreamer/Bigshow is a pointless angle.

Because of a great main-event and a decent opener, I'd say this was the best week of ECW so far.