TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Transformers The Movie

I actually didn't have problems sitting through changes in Spider-Man and X-Men. Batman Begins I don't even care to watch since the animated Batman spoiled me. However, the changes I've heard about Transformers hurt me deeply. You don't mess with Soundwave (there's already been commotion about this); you just don't do it. You don't mess with any of the other central charactors either which I hear they're doing.

Soundwave's proposed changes only involve

Size or Mass Shifting

. Not a big deal to me, since it's kinda hard to imagine seeing it work on the big screen. Same reason they dumped the Yellow Spandex in the X-Men movies or Peter making his web shooters. Some things have to be adapted for the screen. As for the other changes they're making for other characters, such as

Bumblebee's War Wound

, I dig it because it adds more depth than the 30 minute toy ad ever did. And you haven't seen Batman Begins? Wow, Even I love the DCAU stuff too but that movie was too good to miss.

thanks Rando, I couldn't quite remember it all...did they explain why exactly Wheeljack didn't make them any smarter right from the get go?

I believe (Read: Too Lazy to Boot up the DVD) he said that they would be easier to control.

How the Dinobots were built was completely contradicted by the way the Aerialbots were built later in the series (they had to travel to Cybertron to activate them when no such problem arose when the Dinobots were built).

The Transformers cartoon just got stupider as it went along, until some idiot decided it'd be cool to make all the vehicles futuristic looking, and they killed off all the good characters in the movie. What the hell was Rodimus Prime supposed to be anyways? A cosmic winnebago?

Hot Rod was a sports car...so Rodimus Prime was a combo between that and Prime's "tractor" type look.

The Movie was actually started before the TV show, by about a year I think, but they were able to do two seasons of the show before the movie came out in 1986. Everything after the movie (Seasons 3 onward) had to contend with the aftermath of the film. I think, because of those seasons being in the future (2006) and the idea that most of the film was in space, that they would move away from the Earth more and more.

Also, I don't think the Technobots, that Grimlock created when "smart", had to go anywhere to be activated. Same with any of the other gestalts like the Stunticons, the Constructicons, and etc. The Aerialbots were just the odd bots out.

I consider the first two seasons to be the best, mainly because the Movie created a ton of continuity errors, the biggest being "The Matrix" and how something as powerfully destructive as Unicron was NEVER mentioned. This is especially troubling when the Movie was being made before the TV series, when they could have easily got that information and used it to build to the film.

Maybe they thought that stuff was moot with the film taking place 20 years after the end of the second season. (Although the Aerialbots and Stunticons, who were created in the show's 2nd season) aren't in the movie at all, but are a part of the rest of the TV series, with the Aerialbots playing the key role of going back in time and helping Optimus Prime actually be CREATED. But that stuff isn't even mentioned until after Optimus is resurrected.

In defense of Sunbow and it's writers, Unicron was unheard of to Transformers prior to him showing up and reformating Megatron. Of course thats if you follow the G1 cartoon continuity. In the G1 comic continuity, he is the Chaos Bringer, their God of Death. So basically you don't need the mention of the Matrix (although it helps) or Unicron in Seasons 1 or 2.

Unicron is referenced in the movie as Megatron is harvesting Sparks in order to bring him about

Oh damn, I forgot that whole "what/who is Unicron" thing from the movie. My bad. Explain the Matrix then.

AND WHICH CYCLONUS IS THE *REAL* CYCLONUS~!?!!?!?!

You mean explain what it is? Or why the writers left it out? If it's the former rather than the latter, then the Matrix is basically the Transformers Heaven contained in a crystaline construct. It holds all the sparks (Souls) of all Transformers and allows the Autobot Leader who wields the Matrix to access it for knowledge and advice. One could argue that the reason Optimus Prime in the G1 cartoon was so bad ass, was because he had all this knowledge at his fingertips. So when Hot Rod unleashes the Matrix on Unicron, it's really all those who have come before that Destroy Unicron. Nevermind that it was Primus, Unicron's Arch Nemesis, who gave Transformers their Sparks in the first place.

If it was the latter, then I have no Idea :)

And it really doesn't matter about which Cyclonus is the real one, since people still deabte to this day if Brawn died or not.

I didn't know Unicron and the Transformers had such a huge background? Anyone care to give the details?

And what about after the movie? Did they fight Galvatron now? Starscream was gone for good? Prime was brought back?

Brawn totally died. I'd rather have lost him than Ironhide, dammit.

As for Dama, the continuity is EXTREMELY extensive, and sometimes buggy, and would be near impossible to just throw out willy-nilly.

After the movie, the baddies were basically the Galvatron-led Decepticons & The Quintessons. I'm sure there were others, but off the top of my head I can't remember.

Starscream was "gone for good", but his spark managed to find it's place later, as it could go into other Bots and "take them over", and leave just as quickly, which resulted in Galvatron blasting the crap out of a few of his own after he realized it was Starscream inside them. Eventually, Starscream made a bargain with Unicron's head to try and make Cybertron his new body. Just before the head and planet were combined, Unicron gave Starscream his body back, so, now having what he wanted (his body) he refused to help Unicron.

Moments later, a large explosion (caused by the Autobots) sent both Unicron's head and Starscream hurling out into deep space. Starscream's spark wasn't seen again until the Beast Wars cartoon.

As for Optimus, he was reanimated in a plot by the Quintesson's to lure the Autobots into a trap, but Optimus was purified by the Matrix and ended up piloting a ship into the Quintesson's trap, causing a huge explosion that everyone thought re-killed him. In actuality, while he was pretty much screwed, he was recovered by two human scientists, one of which HATED the Autobots. Using Prime, the scientist lured the Autobots to the ship and infected them with the Hate Plague. Sky Lynx, a transformer I still own to this day, found a Quintesson and had Prime restored fully back to life. Prime then used one of the scientist's "heat-resistent alloy" (which caused him to turn white --- i have that version of Optimus too) to cover himself and be able to avoid being infected with the Plague, he got to Rodimus - reclaimed the Matrix - and opened it, with the pureness of the Matrix destroying the Hate Plague and saving all the Bots.

It was also discovered, after this (i think), in episode 87 "War Dawn", that the Aerialbots (after being sent back in time by a Decepticon machine), had actually met Optimus *before* he was Optimus, and was just a punier bot known as "Orion Pax". There were no Autobots at this time in Cybertronian history, but the Decepticons had recently emerged as the evil, with Orion looking up to them. But, they tricked Orion and fatally injured him, as well as his 'girlfriend' Ariel. Dion, Orion's friend, and the Aerialbots took both to Alpha Trion, an ancient, who rebuilt them as Optimus Prime and Elita One, the original two Autobot Warriors. It was also strongly suggested that Dion later became Ultra Magnus, due to their similiar pre-Autobot construction and how they speak to each other when Optimus is on his deathbed in the Movie (calling him "old friend).

You gotta love wikipedia, helping me fill in the blanks on when the Hate Plague story was, as "War Dawn" is in my top five of favorite episodes and i've seen it like dozens of times. The Aerialbots (and the Stunticons) are some of my favorite gestalts, as well.

Isn't Gen 1 on DVD? I need to start picking those up.

Have fun:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001GOH8...&v=glance&n=130

15 used & new available from $87.95

I have been waiting years for a live action GI Joe movie. The thing is, I am A-OK with that wait, because I don't want it to wind up like the Street Fighter movie. If they're doing TF, they must do GI Joe.

I didn't notice Spielberg is executive producing this...

That's true, but he was also the executive producer for Men in Black II, Jurassic Park III, Casper, The Flintstones, We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story, *batteries not included, and other "questionable" flicks as well, so it doesn't really mean all that much.

I hope to God that you guys aren't expecting much from this flick. You should go into it with the lowest expectations possible, so if it's horrible (like it very well could be) you wont really give a shit, and if it's awesome you'll like it that much more since you weren't expecting much in the first place.

This is really a "gotta have seen it in the 80's" phenomenon. Some friends showed me tapes of the old show and I couldn't stand it. The animation is like having your eyes stomped on, it's so choppy.

But the ep where Cobra Commander guest starred was fine.

I actually liked Inhumanoids much more than either GIJ or TF.

This is really a "gotta have seen it in the 80's" phenomenon. Some friends showed me tapes of the old show and I couldn't stand it. The animation is like having your eyes stomped on, it's so choppy.

If you've never seen TF: The Movie(1986) then find it and watch it...it is still a completely badass film. Spidey III and now TFs?!?!! What the hell else will be out in the summer of 2007?

If you've never seen TF: The Movie(1986) then find it and watch it...it is still a completely badass film. Spidey III and now TFs?!?!! What the hell else will be out in the summer of 2007?

Pirates 3, Fantastic Four 2, Wolverine (Supposedly), and MAYBE Batman 2.

Hot Rod was a sports car...so Rodimus Prime was a combo between that and Prime's "tractor" type look.

The Movie was actually started before the TV show, by about a year I think, but they were able to do two seasons of the show before the movie came out in 1986. Everything after the movie (Seasons 3 onward) had to contend with the aftermath of the film. I think, because of those seasons being in the future (2006) and the idea that most of the film was in space, that they would move away from the Earth more and more.

I do not beleive your information is correct.

The original advertisements for TF: T Movie included the line "2 years in the making," which only means they were planning on doing a movie in some form at least as long as the cartoon was in existence. Since the original Transformers cartoons were based on pre-existing toys, the original characters were created for the toy line, whereas the movie characters were created for the movie. There's a huge drop-off in the quality of the toys after the first season of the show, and I don't think (given the poor quality of the toys based on characters introduced in the movie) they'd been planning Rodimus Prime or Galvatron for 3 years. The Ultra Magnus toy was just a re-painted Optimus with added accesories to make him look different.

from what I understand, the movie was written either during Season 1/halfway into season 2 or right before any Season 2 episodes were written...that would explain why Kup was rattled a bit when Devastator formed...the other Gestalts hadn't been created yet (otherwise you would think they would simply call in Defensor or Superion)...in fact, the only Season 2 TFs in the movie were Blaster, Perceptor, Astro Train, Blitzkrieg, Dirge, Thrust and Ramjet, and I believe they were all introduced prior to any season 2 episodes featuring other Gestalts.

Yeah BL has it right.

While the movie already had a bloated roster, the only I thing still wish they had done was a Combiner showdown at the Battle of Autbobot city. And for those who saw the Movie in the theater, did you cry when Prime died? I know I didnt, but I did cry when Starscream died.

If you've never seen TF: The Movie(1986) then find it and watch it...it is still a completely badass film.

Yeah, it's fun the animation is much better than the show (that is, decent). Shame that Rodimus went from that bright spot to an emo.

from what I understand, the movie was written either during Season 1/halfway into season 2 or right before any Season 2 episodes were written...that would explain why Kup was rattled a bit when Devastator formed...the other Gestalts hadn't been created yet (otherwise you would think they would simply call in Defensor or Superion)...in fact, the only Season 2 TFs in the movie were Blaster, Perceptor, Astro Train, Blitzkrieg, Dirge, Thrust and Ramjet, and I believe they were all introduced prior to any season 2 episodes featuring other Gestalts.

I concur.

For whomever wanted the GI Joe movie... It was made, but only released on VHS. It was supposed to go to theatres before TF, and Duke was supposed to bite the bullet. But after TF was released and the fans shit all over Prime's death and the movie in general, the GI movie was put to VHS...and Duke went comatose instead of six feet under.

For whomever wanted the GI Joe movie... It was made, but only released on VHS. It was supposed to go to theatres before TF, and Duke was supposed to bite the bullet. But after TF was released and the fans shit all over Prime's death and the movie in general, the GI movie was put to VHS...and Duke went comatose instead of six feet under.

GI Joe: The Movie was shown on television in 1987, I believe, both in 2 hour form and as a mini-series.

That's probably the case, although it should be noted the home video market in 1987 wasn't the well-oiled machine that it is today.

I also remember that WGN would often show G.I. Joe mini-series as Saturday afternoon movies.

I always liked Transformers slightly more than G.I. Joe, but it was cool that they were both out at the same time. Hasbro fucking owned my ass from 1984-86. Fortunately "Star Trek: the Next Generation" debuted right after the 2 shows evaporated.

Funny how whenever one thing I liked as a kid went away, something new popped up at just the right time for me to enjoy.

Basically:

Star Wars -> GI Joe/Tranformers -> Star Trek: TNG/DS9 -> Buffy/Angel -> Wrestling -> Battlestar Galactica.

Voltron, Thundercats, Batman, X-Files, Highlander, and Farscape all fit in there somewhere, but the above 6 eras above were the biggest geek-fests for me.

I always liked Transformers slightly more than G.I. Joe, but it was cool that they were both out at the same time. Hasbro fucking owned my ass from 1984-86. Fortunately "Star Trek: the Next Generation" debuted right after the 2 shows evaporated.

Funny how whenever one thing I liked as a kid went away, something new popped up at just the right time for me to enjoy.

Basically:

Star Wars -> GI Joe/Tranformers -> Star Trek: TNG/DS9 -> Buffy/Angel -> Wrestling -> Battlestar Galactica.

Voltron, Thundercats, Batman, X-Files, Highlander, and Farscape all fit in there somewhere, but the above 6 eras above were the biggest geek-fests for me.

TMINFO.jpg

Yeah BL has it right.

While the movie already had a bloated roster, the only I thing still wish they had done was a Combiner showdown at the Battle of Autbobot city. And for those who saw the Movie in the theater, did you cry when Prime died? I know I didnt, but I did cry when Starscream died.

I didn't cry, but I was sure shocked as hell. Combining OP's demise and the wholesale carnage of the first half hour with Spike's "Shit!" was a HUGE early markout moment for me. Damn, I think I'm going to go toss it into the DVD player right now. Nostalgia is fun.

The whole movie just lit you up...I can remember kids fucking screeming their heads off(I was one) when we watched it for the first time...everybody was just blown up from start to finish....and the soundtrack just added to it's greatness...this movie is way better than GI Joe: The Movie(man is that a total geek statement or what)

Transformers is awesome. End of really.

I look forward to seeing more of this devolop.