TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

The Comic Book Question Thread

A friend told me Captain America defeated the Hulk in the Ultimate universe, is this true?

A friend told me Captain America defeated the Hulk in the Ultimate universe, is this true?

Nope; Ult Cap didn't beat Ult Hulk. He DID act like a total and utter bitch though, in terms of attacking Hulk in his Bruce Banner form, after the rest of the Ultimates beat Hulk and basically sucker punching Banner when he was weak and defenseless and defeated.

He kicks him in the nuts and lays him out, while Wasp stings his brain, which returns him to normal. It took the entire Ultimates team to take him out, including Thor.

My turn: Seriously, what's up with them annihilating the Giffen league members?

Maxwell Lord turning evil was a total continuity mess, and made absolutely no sense. You get the idea they needed SOMEONE to head up OMAC, and just didn't want to sacrifice any other villains so they said, hey, what about Maxwell Lord?

He was a cyborg, he had lost his mind-control powers, his attittude is completely inconsistent with his previous portrayals, and how many times has J'onn read his mind? Ridiculous.

I rememeber reading in an issue of Wizard in which they (creators such as Rucka and Winick) said that it was a continuity mess trying to use Lord but said that in the end it would be the most shocking person to use since he would have such an intimate knowledge of the heroes.

Personally I wish the person who was leading the Villians United team (you know Mockingbird) would have been Dr. Sivanna.

My turn: Seriously, what's up with them annihilating the Giffen league members?

Obviously someone didn't really like the Bwahaha nature of the team. Fire's now been retconned so that she was a black ops agent in Brazil, Booster doesn't really seem all that interesting anymore, Ralph got jobbed out by people insistent on having Plastic Man around, Mary Marvel has disappeared for the time being and Guy... well he's still Guy, so he got lucky, I guess.

Next question: Did Zeb Wells realize that he screwed over the New Warriors when he made them "reality stars"?

it was a continuity mess trying to use Lord but said that in the end it would be the most shocking person to use since he would have such an intimate knowledge of the heroes.

Of course it was shocking since it made absolutely ZERO SENSE.

I mean, MM explicitly read his brain, like twice, and declared him not evil.

I mean, I can understand them getting away from the BWAHAHA stuff. But most of the characters are at least acting somewhat consistently. Even though I hate them killing Kord, they gave him a nice send-off as a detective only second to Dibny and Bats.

The Maxwell Lord shit made exactly zero sense, though.

EDIT: wait, they killed Rocket Red too, right?

Yeah Rocket Red died during the OMAC mini series. The OMACs attacked several heroes and Red decided to blow himself up to save the rest of his teammates.

Sooooo....

We're essentially left with Guy (great) Booster (probably gonna die) and Ralph, who might be being ressurected (not literally, as a character, though...)

And who the fuck likes Plastic Man? Oh he turns into a mailbox and a fire hydrant! How funny!

I've hijacked this thread long enough.

Sooooo....

We're essentially left with Guy (great) Booster (probably gonna die) and Ralph, who might be being ressurected (not literally, as a character, though...)

And who the fuck likes Plastic Man? Oh he turns into a mailbox and a fire hydrant! How funny!

And Fire. Fire's still around. Of course she seems to have become a government assassin in the new Checkmate books.

I don't get the Plastic Man love either. I think Plastic Man has a cult following of fans thats why he's brought back so much......but I agree with you, Plastic Man sucks!

I don't get the Plastic Man love either. I think Plastic Man has a cult following of fans thats why he's brought back so much......but I agree with you, Plastic Man sucks!

Ah, but you see, a charter member of the Plastic Man fan club is Grant Morrison, and he of course can do no wrong - so long as you ignore stuff like his last two or three New X-Men arcs...

I don't follow comics much... yet... a guy named Plastic Man? Sounds like a They Might Be Giants song title.

PLASTIC MAN?

Shit.

I don't follow comics much... yet... a guy named Plastic Man?

He's fucking stupid. I think he's old, like from back in the 50's.

That doesn't excuse the fact that he is useless and a giant piece of shit.

This from a guy who likes Elongated Man.

21487_w.jpg

God I hate that character.

Actually Plastic Man dates back to the 40's. I don't care for him either and I prefer EM over him as well. Give me the detective that can solve a crime the a man that can waste time and turn into a giant beach ball.

it was a continuity mess trying to use Lord but said that in the end it would be the most shocking person to use since he would have such an intimate knowledge of the heroes.

Of course it was shocking since it made absolutely ZERO SENSE.

I mean, MM explicitly read his brain, like twice, and declared him not evil.

I mean, I can understand them getting away from the BWAHAHA stuff. But most of the characters are at least acting somewhat consistently. Even though I hate them killing Kord, they gave him a nice send-off as a detective only second to Dibny and Bats.

The Maxwell Lord shit made exactly zero sense, though.

EDIT: wait, they killed Rocket Red too, right?

The only possible way to sanely rationalize the ruination of Max Lord is either 1. Psycho Pirate brainwashed him or 2. That Superboy Prime hit the mirror wall of continuity and suddenly reality warps and Max is the evil uber-villain.

Of course, the biggest bitch of hte situation is that DC DID FUCKING HAVE a logical alternative character to use instead of Max. Mr. Jupiter, mysterious millionaire/OG Teen Titans financial backer and father of Lilith, the Titan who died alongside Donna Troy in Graduation Day, which actually would have fucking make Dan Dildo Didio's comments about "everything started with Donna's death" making sense.

As for Plastic Man, he's currently persona non grata at DC. Golden Boy Brad Meltzer likes Ralph, in spite of murdering/retconning rape onto his wife and hates Plastic Man and Didio is quite open with the fact that the fact that the Plastic Man's ongoing comic series bombing saleswise has soured him on the character.

Also, the Rocket Reds are back. The entire team was magically resurrected in Infinite Crisis #6.5 (AKA the Villains United Special) after being slaughtered off in the pages of JLE.

I really hope they're leading up to Sue coming back, because they have put Ralph through hell, like no other character. Is he even stretchy anymore? Hasn't he stopped drinking the Gingold extract or whatever?

Obviously DC has plans for the character, I hope it's not just:

He died, LOL!

They're going SOMEwhere with the Giffen league characters. They're writing Booster like such a piece of shit I don't care about him anymore.

Ralph better be the one to come out OK from this.

I prefer DC to Marvel, but they're actually doing some stuff that is pretty radical, in the literal sense.

52 ain't over, so I can't judge but the sum effect of all that Crisis/52 stuff is: We're going to kill a lot of characters that fannboys love.

A good read for sure. Can't take that away from them.

Ok after looking at Steviekick's sig, I need to know what happen to Blue Beetle?

Seeing this on Wikipedia...

With how Mary Jane was scared by Spider-Man's black costume after Venom came about, why was Spider-Girl allowed to have the black outfit that I think she has to this date?

With how Mary Jane was scared by Spider-Man's black costume after Venom came about, why was Spider-Girl allowed to have the black outfit that I think she has to this date?

Um, pretty much because it's the best-looking costume ever. And it's all What if? Plus, on the whole, they don't want her to be Spider-Girl at all, much less worrying about the black suit.

Going along with the Giffen league stuff (sorry) I just reread OMAC, and Booster is acting incredibly noble. and he and Guy seem to be bonding over Kord's death, and it's very cool.

Guess that got shot down too, huh?

Seeing this on Wikipedia...

IIRC MJ made peace with the black costume not being so bad in the pages of Spider-Girl.

Ok after looking at Steviekick's sig, I need to know what happen to Blue Beetle?

He got shot in the head by Max Lord, who then promptly had Greg Rucka's Mary Sue character Sasha (former love interest to Batman) burn the body. This was after the entire Big 7 JLA save for Wonder Woman and Hal Jordan treated him like shit and Booster Gold never was killed.

A friend and I were talking about how is the JSA's history they were forced in the 50's during the height of McArthyism to reveal their secret identities. Does anyone know if that storyline was actually written in the 50's or was it added to their history recently?

Next question: Did Zeb Wells realize that he screwed over the New Warriors when he made them "reality stars

I dunno, the idea had been done (and better) with X-Force/X-statix. It came off as a lame imitation. At least X-force was, you know, GOOD.

Of course, the 'Registration act' has been done to death too, and they're actually making it good.

I'm waiting to see what happens with Speedball.

A friend and I were talking about how is the JSA's history they were forced in the 50's during the height of McArthyism to reveal their secret identities. Does anyone know if that storyline was actually written in the 50's or was it added to their history recently?

The "JSA telling Senator Joseph McArthy to go fuck himself" retirement retcon was introduced in the 1970s, when the JSA were appearing as the headline feature of Adventure Comics.

Next question: Did Zeb Wells realize that he screwed over the New Warriors when he made them "reality stars

It's not Zeb Well's fault, since Quesada and Mr. Mark "I suck JQ's dick and can't tell the truth if my life depended on it" Millar would have done the same plotline anyway just to kill the New Warriors for daring to not suck like JQ's pet project "Shitty Teen Titans Bastardization To End All Shitty Teen Titans Bastardizations" (also known as Young Avengers)

I'm waiting to see what happens with Speedball.

The answer seems to be "getting the shit beaten out of him".

and he's in prison.