TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

UFC News and notes from WON - 7/17

Guest DRH 502

Dana White needs to realise that the majority of MMA fans don't watch PRIDE...hell the vast majority now are post-TUF fans and probably have never even saw Silva/Ortiz or Silva/Belfort. Its like Dana is the MMA equivalent of Gabe Sa(whatthefuckever) from ROH...he books for the smarks and expects to draw in rubes based on that booking, when in reality your average fan has no clue who these foreign dudes are...

...actually, people have been bitching because Dana has until recently largely ignored international fighters in favor of domestic ones. Now it looks like they're ready to start sewing seeds for more foreign fighters to come in and compete, and as long as properly marketed, could still appeal to the casual fan.

But yeah, what are you on about White being some uber-fight geek matchmaker? Aoki/Karo wasn't signed, last I heard.

Dana White needs to realise that the majority of MMA fans don't watch PRIDE...hell the vast majority now are post-TUF fans and probably have never even saw Silva/Ortiz or Silva/Belfort. Its like Dana is the MMA equivalent of Gabe Sa(whatthefuckever) from ROH...he books for the smarks and expects to draw in rubes based on that booking, when in reality your average fan has no clue who these foreign dudes are...

Dana has premission from PRIDE to show Silva fights on UFC Unleashed, so expect a episode dedicated to Silva showing why he is a huge threat to Chuck Liddell somewhere near the fight.

Actually, this is where The Fight Network is in an excellent position in Canada, and potentially in the U.S. They've got licenses to great libraries from ROH, Pride, and K-1. Awesome shit, I tells ya.

Dana has premission from PRIDE to show Silva fights on UFC Unleashed, so expect a episode dedicated to Silva showing why he is a huge threat to Chuck Liddell somewhere near the fight.

Ordinarily, being nicknamed "The Axe Murderer" might be a good hint of his ability, but with nicknames being handed out like comps in Vegas, people hear it and probably think, "eh."

Guest DRH 502

Well to be fair Dana's last big announcements were Hughes/Gracie (which the internet fanboys debated and debated about over at DVDVR for the longest time before it was announced) and Liddell/Silva (another dream match)...but yeah you are right I guess I should have said "as of late he seems to be booking for the net crowd". I'm all for it...I personally hope he brings in Lyoto for the rematch with Franklin soon. I'm praying for the day Fedor comes in and destroys Tim Sylvia (which probably will never happen, but hey a kid can dream can't he?).

Well to be fair Dana's last big announcements were Hughes/Gracie (which the internet fanboys debated and debated about over at DVDVR for the longest time before it was announced) and Liddell/Silva (another dream match)...but yeah you are right I guess I should have said "as of late he seems to be booking for the net crowd". I'm all for it...I personally hope he brings in Lyoto for the rematch with Franklin soon. I'm praying for the day Fedor comes in and destroys Tim Sylvia (which probably will never happen, but hey a kid can dream can't he?).

I still haven't seen how he's booking for the 'net crowd, unless you're going strictly by Wanderlei coming in, who is a fighter who can appeal to the masses just as easily given a little background info. LYOTO would be more of a signing that reeked of playing to the internet crowd, as the dude's pretty boring and somewhat unproven and yet still gets hyped to no end.

lol.

Dana White's TUF-happy booking bothers me to no end, but even I gotta admit that he's managed to sneak in a big time international fighter here and there out of the blue (Marquardt, both Silva's, and expect more).

Yushin Okami is an international sensation.

As for more international stars...Dave Meltzer a week or so ago on WOL, was asked what the chances for Fedor being brought into UFC. The caller assumed the chances were low, but Dave said that Fedor is a STRONG possibility, as PRIDE is in such horrendous shape right now, and Dana White has huge interest in bringing him in.

If they did, you could say goodbye to the UFC Heavyweight division. Fedor would massacre every single one of them in two minutes. Arlovski, Vera, and Sylvia would be a fight, and I cannot see any of them making it out of two rounds.

Guest Brian
As for more international stars...Dave Meltzer a week or so ago on WOL, was asked what the chances for Fedor being brought into UFC. The caller assumed the chances were low, but Dave said that Fedor is a STRONG possibility, as PRIDE is in such horrendous shape right now, and Dana White has huge interest in bringing him in.

If they did, you could say goodbye to the UFC Heavyweight division. Fedor would massacre every single one of them in two minutes. Arlovski, Vera, and Sylvia would be a fight, and I cannot see any of them making it out of two rounds.

Fedor's going to be absolutely terifying with elbows on the ground, but each of them will present a different style match-up then what we're used to seeing against Fedor and it could be interesting.

Fedor's going to be absolutely terifying with elbows on the ground, but each of them will present a different style match-up then what we're used to seeing against Fedor and it could be interesting.

Excatly... Fedor is my favorite HW fighter... But it's going to be interesting to see him adjust to the UFC rules, since he's never fought under the UFC before, therefore it puts him at a disavantage.

Guest DRH 502

Fedor's offense from the guard is a thing of beauty but also is like a fucking nightmare for his opponent. He is just ruthless with those punches...IMAGINE the damage he could do with the ability to throw elbows from the guard. Also, I notice Fedor doesn't pass guard into mount much because he seems to be most comfortable throwing those haymakers from the outside, I could imagine the use of elbows may encourage him to hop on top and get the mount. Christ, I really, really feel bad for whoever gets put in front of him first if this does ever come about...The only time i've saw him look remotely human(in PRIDE i've never saw a Fedor RINGS fight) was against Fujita(who rocked him before getting submitted) and Coleman (who seemed to be doing a good job of holding him down until Fedor slipped that armbar in on him)...God i'm fucking excited hearing this news first thing in the morning (almost afternoon)

Guest DRH 502

It'd be nice if they could show say Fedor/Zulu and Fedor/Coleman on Unleashed as a bit of an intro. I say Fedor/Zulu mainly because most American fans will see the size differential and how viciously and quickly he beats him. It is definately my favorite fight to show my friends who haven't saw PRIDE before. Fedor/Coleman would be good to show because alot of the American fans remember Coleman. That fight shows a whole different side of Fedor, how dangerous of a fighter he is even on his back...I would imagine he'd come into the UFC looking as impressive if not moreso than Anderson Silva, who really did make Leben look like a sparring partner.

Guest DRH 502

Yeah but this scenario i'm speaking of is hyping up Fedor to come to UFC, if Nog were fighting as well i'd agree but why show Nog fights unless he is gonna be there? Nog fights vs. anyone but Fedor I mean. I just mentioned the first 2 because they are quick and exiciting fights and would get the average fan hyped...then we can show them Fedor beating Nog's ass for 3 rounds. :)

I think out of the three, Sylvia would give Fedor the least issues. Fedor's already beaten a better verison of Sylvia in Semmy Schilt. Schilt's taller, and a far more effective striker, the man is K-1 GP champion for gods sake. He might not beat Sylvia in the most spectacular fashion, but he'd win easily enough after Sylvia lets him smash his face in, then gets into the guard where he'd proceed to re-arrange his facial structure.

Edit: Heres an interesting question...How would you market Fedor? Would you call him an international star, or arguably the greatest fighter to ever fight?

I'd do with the second option. You hear that being claimed, and your interest would be high immediately. This man may be the greatest fighter EVER, well shit, I better check him out.

Throw in some Mike Tyson level squashes, and bammo, you've got a Las Vegas attraction worth millions I say!

It's been said before, but I'll say it again.

Sylvia would be a much tougher fight than Schilt, if only because of his much better takedown D. That being said, Fedor has admitted that the Schilt fight was a disappointment because it was his first fight in PRIDE, and all that came with it (Big show, brand new rules for him, etc.) caused to fight poorer than he should have. Of course, you wouldn't think cyborgs have emotions like that, but this was wayyy back in the day, one of the older Fedor models. He's since been upgraded to a *much* better version.

If you want to give Fedor a style, you could say he's primarily a G&P and Submission guy...but that'd be false.

Fedor's considered by most people to be the greatest fighter alive for a reason, he has no weaknesses, and no holes in his game. He can fight anywhere. His striking doesn't look pretty, but he drops people like they were smacked with concrete. The only person he's faught that he hasn't knocked loopy (not KO'd, just knocked completely silly for a few seconds) was Kazayuki Fujita, who cannot be KO'd by any mortal force. He also seemingly cannot be KO'd. He has moments of seeming weakness, but people joek that those moments are simply his CPU rebooting, because he comes RIGHT back. In the Fujita fight, he gets rocked, holds him for a few seconds and proceeds to beat the shit out of Fujita. In the Randleman fight, he's given a Backdrop Driver that SHOULD have easily won that fight, but Fedor just takes it, rolls through, and gets the keylock within about thirty seconds.

Fedor gets the takedown after he's pounded you a bit standing, then he unleashes what I call "Bear" style Ground & Pound. No matter what you do to him from the bottom, he just comes right over the top, or right back and unleashes BRUTAL blows. One of my favorite clips is from one of the Nogueria fights. Nog is doing everything he can to push him off, Fedor gets pushed back some but then just comes right over the top of Nog's blocks with HUUUUGE blows that look legitimately like the swipes from a bear. It's scaryshit.

I dunno what Russian experiment they applied to Fedor, but we should all be scared as shit that Russia's genenically engineering an army of Fedors. There would be no safety from them.

Edit: On Sylvia...I dunno. I suppose he has better Takedown defense, but that won't save him against Fedor. If Fedor can't take you down, he BEATS you down. I cannot see Sylvia surviving past a hook or two before he stumbles, Fedor gets the takedown and he's killed fuckin dead.

Guest DRH 502

I agree all the way about Fedor's greatness. Mark Coleman took him down and seemed to be doing alright until the armbar, and of course the time Fujita rocked him momentarily but other than that he has looked super human. But, I will say this, Sylvia while not being the best or most exciting fighter alive gets a bad rap. He isn't the greatest but he's not the can people make him out to be...