TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slimm44

SNL being revamped

If you missed it last night, Tina Fey was on Leno and announced she would not be returning this season because her new show, 30 Rock will take up most of her time. NBC announced their primetime schedule for the fall, I took this article from tv.com

Network pres says peacock will be a potent contender this fall; hints at SNL revamp.

LOS ANGELES--Check the rearview mirror, eye. Get crazy, Fox. Spell relief, alphabet. The peacock is mounting an attack.

Studio 60 at the TCA. NBC president Kevin Reilly, speaking today at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Pasadena, California, said his network won't end next season bringing up the rear.

"We've been sweating like pigs trying to get out of a stiff headwind," Reilly said. "But I gotta tell you: I feel a shift in the winds coming, and I think our ill-fated three-hour tour is about to come to an end."

NBC, once the home of "must-see TV" and perennial number one network, has suffered a severe downturn in its fortunes since the 2003-2004 season, when Friends went off the air. Since then, the net has fallen to fourth place and has seen its ad revenue, which stood at $2.9 billion, dip to $1.9 billion in each of the past two years.

Reilly says that's going to change.

"Our fall is going to look pretty potent. We have six new shows that all could break out. Our ratings will definitely be better," he predicted. "We will not be mired in fourth week after week. We will be a challenger in many time periods."

Reilly hinted that stalwart sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live, which saw ratings slump this season, might get some revamping.

"You'll see a tightening of the cast," he suggested. "[it will] a be new show for a new generation."

NBC has two new shows parodying SNL--Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, from West Wing creator Aaron Sorkin, and 30 Rock, from SNL writer Tina Fey. Sorkin, speaking separately at the TCA, said his show would differ from Fey's.

"I'm going to take Tina's idea and add twice as many words to it," he said to laughter.

Sorkin, who in 2001 pled guilty to possession of crack cocaine and other drugs, cracked wise about his feelings on TV's unhealthy influence in society.

"I think it's [like] bad crack in the school yard," he quipped. "Why did I use that line?"

Full TV.com article

While I hate Tina Fey will be gone from SNL, I am interested in her new show. As for SNL being 'revamped' Guess I'll give my opinion in October

It's great news that Tina's leaving. She should've left in 2004, as she got pretty bad her last two seasons.

Rachel Dratch, Chris Parnell, Finesse Mitchell, Horatio Sanz and Maya Rudolph are also leaving/probably leaving.

It won't be cancelled for a long time, they have a deal to be on the air till 2010, and the show still does make money for NBC.

Even though I think they went overbudget last year, which is why they only aired 19 episodes.

I think Lorne Michaels is finally getting it. They've had people they can build the show around, but there's always been deadweight dragging it down. Getting rid of people who have been on the show way too long will definetly make next season a good one.

Guest Vitamin X

SNL desperately needs someone who'll take the spotlight, like the next Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler, soon. The biggest star out of the current cast is Horatio fucking Sanz.

Guest ken adams

I can't believe that adding Amy "HHH" Poehler to every skit AND the news would result in lower ratings! It must be the networks fault, or the fans fault, or the ratings fault. Doesn't everyone know how good she is?!!!! Like the way she smirks at the camera, letting you know she's saying something she thinks is funny. I know, it's those damn internet SNL smarks.

SNL desperately needs someone who'll take the spotlight, like the next Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler, soon. The biggest star out of the current cast is Horatio fucking Sanz.

Adam Sandler was never really the star of the show, not like Ferrell was. I think Jason Sudeikis has excellent breakout potential though.

Andy Samberg sucks, if it wasn't for Lazy Sunday, I definetly think he'd be on his way out.

Guest cardsfan31

Sandler had other people around him while it was pretty much up to Ferrell to carry the show

I can't believe that adding Amy "HHH" Poehler to every skit AND the news would result in lower ratings! It must be the networks fault, or the fans fault, or the ratings fault. Doesn't everyone know how good she is?!!!! Like the way she smirks at the camera, letting you know she's saying something she thinks is funny. I know, it's those damn internet SNL smarks.

It was clearly the over use of song parodies from Fred Armisen and Will Forte during the Weekend Update segments and not enough raps from Chris Parnell. Damn those annoying bits where Fred & Will would do those a cappella songs!

SNL sucks and has for a long time. The actors have little to do with it. The writing is awful. A joke that has a 30 second lifetime drawn out for 10 minutes - that's the SNL formula.

It would take some truly transcendent comics to make the show good given how awful the writing is.

SNL was off course in the 2004-2005 season (thank you awful Update!) but rebounded nicely in the 05-06 season.

The loss of Sanz, Mitchell and Maya Rudolph (who is probably also leaving) and the slimming of the cast will only help the show.

Guest Vitamin X

I agree wholeheartedly, and surprised that you didn't go for a Horatio Sanz+"slimming" of the show joke there, bob.

I was a big fan of the show till Ferrell left, and then they had Fallon try and take the spotlight, which pretty much bombed the show to oblivion. I know Sandler wasn't the star of the show, but I just used him as an example as one who is still a big star today after SNL. There's guys like Mike Myers, Chris Rock, David Spade, etc. etc. to harken back to as recently as the 90's who are the kinda guys SNL needs.

Hell, what's Dana Carvey doing these days? Maybe they could bring him back.

I made a joke about at another SNLMB about I guess they wanted to cut the food budget.

I also hope Bill Hader and Sudeikis get more airtime as well. I'd love to see Sudeikis take over on Update. I think he could be something special. I wasn't too high on Kristin Wiig, but a lot of people like her so we'll see.

Jimmy's only problem in the post-Ferrell era was they paired him up too much with Horatio. I was willing to give Horatio a chance after Jimmy left, but he was even worse.

And on that note, I wonder how awful the Best of Horatio Sanz is going to be.

I say put jericho on the show.

What they should really do is do what they did after the first SNL in 79, take a hiatus and come back in mid 07 with an all new cast. And cut down from 90 minutes to an hour.

Chris Parnell was my favorite part of that show. He was fired, brought back and now quit.

I also hope Bill Hader and Sudeikis get more airtime as well. I'd love to see Sudeikis take over on Update. I think he could be something special. I wasn't too high on Kristin Wiig, but a lot of people like her so we'll see.

She was still much better as Dr. Pat during the Joe Schmo Show.

You're assuming that there's enough material to assemble a "best of". The best thing would've been to put a "special feature" on Jimmy's DVD where they show Horatio and Jimmy crack up.

I won't expect things to pick up until 2007 in my opinion

Things have already picked up, with strong new castmembers like Hader and Sudeikis, and the fact that they picked great people to host last year.

and now quit.

Parnell was fired. Again.

70 minutes of him giggling... must see tv

Theres the Jared's Room webcam show, the GAP commercial, the "You likey the juice" skits, and Weekend Updates. It's worth $5.50 at Wal*Mart.

Maya Rudolph should have been out of there from day fucking one. She never did ANYTHING funny. I hate Fallon and Sanz, but I can at least remember a couple times they made me laugh. Rudolph was always over-the-top annoying.

Sketch shows are a dying art. God, I just watched a couple of eps of Kids in the Hall (Which was a Lorne Michaels show), and I couldn't believe how outrageous and funny it was, 10 years ago. It's the gold standard in my book, but there used to be lots of funny, weird shows. Mr. Show, Upright Citizens' Brigade, The State.

Now what do we have? A terrible SNL. Mad TV's on the air, but it's always been incredibly painful to watch. I guess Wonder Showzen. Which aims more to shock than actually be funny.

I can't believe MadTV is still on the air after all these years. Every time I try to watch it, it's absolutely horrible. They tend to get one or two funny characters developed every four or five years, and then run them into the ground.

Gemmi Twins and the old timey piano player were Maya's best skits on SNL. Giving Maya every single black character possible was a mistake because she is as black as Mariah Carey, Alica Keys or Lisa Bonet.

Theres the Jared's Room webcam show, the GAP commercial, the "You likey the juice" skits, and Weekend Updates. It's worth $5.50 at Wal*Mart.

Wasn't the "you lika the juice" from way back during the Sandler/Schneider/Farley days?

Guest cardsfan31

That guy must really hate Keenan Thompson.

yay for blackface

Gemmi Twins and the old timey piano player were Maya's best skits on SNL. Giving Maya every single black character possible was a mistake because she is as black as Mariah Carey, Alica Keys or Lisa Bonet.

I liked Maya. :(