TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Ask Al: Part Two!

Going by what Jim Hendry is saying, the appeal of Izturis is his defense. With him at short and presumably Ronny Cedeno moving over to second, a position he hasn't played much of, is the defense really that much improved it was worth inserting another poor OBP into the lineup, while removing one of the few good OBP guys? Or is it too early to tell?

Going by what Jim Hendry is saying, the appeal of Izturis is his defense. With him at short and presumably Ronny Cedeno moving over to second, a position he hasn't played much of, is the defense really that much improved it was worth inserting another poor OBP into the lineup, while removing one of the few good OBP guys? Or is it too early to tell?

It depends on if Ronny Cedeno develops as a hitter. Izturis is a good enough fielder to punt defense, and if Izturis's bat is replacing Neifi's in the lineup, it's an upgrade. I think they should look into upgrading their bat at second.

Does Joe Mauer have what it takes to be the greatest catcher of all-time?

I doubt it. Remember Johnny Bench hit 45 Home Runs when he was 22. I suspect Mauer will eventually move from behind the plate.

It depends on if Ronny Cedeno develops as a hitter. Izturis is a good enough fielder to punt defense, and if Izturis's bat is replacing Neifi's in the lineup, it's an upgrade. I think they should look into upgrading their bat at second.

Is Mike Fontenot a possibility or does his high OBP and average speed disqualify him from a starting job?

Is Mike Fontenot a possibility or does his high OBP and average speed disqualify him from a starting job?

Like Czech said, Fontenot's 26. His minor league stats look good, but his MLE is about .255/.317/.372.

Will Art Monk ever make it into the NFL HOF?

What's the NFL?

Al. Who is the Twins offensive MVP this year? I say Mauer, almost everyone else thinks Morneau.

Depends on what you mean by offensive. If you mean purely by offensive contributions, Morneau trumps Mauer. If you mean best position player (combining offense and defense), Mauer comes up slightly ahead.

3 parts

1. who is gonna win the al roy?

2. who should win the al roy?

3. can any of them win the cy young?

Verlander and Verlander. Verlander could win the Cy Young, but I doubt he will. My vote goes for Johan Santana.

Is there a reason Dallas Green still has a legitimate role in the Phillies organization other than the fact he coached the title team?

Yeah, he played there too.

Seriously, every organization has baseball lifers like Green. It's how the system works.

Is Seattle THAT bad, or are the Oakland Athletics finally finding an effective way to set up their lineup to make a good offense to go with their good pitching and great defense??

Is Seattle THAT bad, or are the Oakland Athletics finally finding an effective way to set up their lineup to make a good offense to go with their good pitching and great defense??

I think the A's are a better team, and combined with having a hot streak along with another team's cold streak, you get those results. There is not much difference between the two teams, but now that Seattle's 11 games out they are done.

Do you think MLB should consider raising the pitcher's mound?

I assume this is in regards to attempting to reduce the level of offense in Major League Baseball. Offense has been down in the minor leagues, so I would be curious to see what the key differences are between the International League and the Majors.

Bill James wrote in his Historical Abstract that baseball should not raise the mound or expand the strike zone. His reasoning was that strikeouts are already at an all time high, and taking those measures would make baseball more boring, a game with more walks and strikeouts, and less action. I disagree. If strikeouts went up, batters would adjust and hit for less power and for more average. That's what baseball needs. The problem isn't hitting specifically, it's hitting for power that needs to come down.

The big difference today is the ballpark. If you remember the cookie-cutter stadiums, they all had deep power alleys and plenty of foul territory. The new parks have brought the fans closer to the game and cut into open ground. I do not think people fully appreciate the effects the new parks have had on the game's offense.

Offense should come down, but I'm not sure exactly how it can be done. It wouldn't harm MLB to look into the matter. Lately, they've been too concerned with business and not enough with the on-field product.

White Sox or Twins?

Who wins the wildcard.

With Thome out, I'm going to take Minnesota.

Al,

Will Bobby Crosby do anything to help the A's this season? With all his injuries mounting, will he get on the field in time to get a feel for the plate with enough time to be a key piece for the playoff push?

do you think the Tigers are genuine championship favorites this year??

you said Jonathan Papelbon should be a starter next year...what about Joel Zumaya?

should Dave Dombrowski be considered an elite GM after helping putting together Montreal, winning a title in 97 and helping build another for the 03 title, and turning the Tigers around?

Guest Brian

Do you think MLB should consider raising the pitcher's mound?

I assume this is in regards to attempting to reduce the level of offense in Major League Baseball. Offense has been down in the minor leagues, so I would be curious to see what the key differences are between the International League and the Majors.

It might be the big elephant in the room, but I'm just wondering if it's due to the relazed enforcement of the steroid policy at a higher level. Yeah, we don't have numbers to prove how much it hurts or hinders offense. But haven't the minor leagues always had a traditionally stronger and better enforcced policy, and given money situations, not as much access to the same quality?