TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Miami Vice

That's how I saw it. Sure, he shot a few ppl and said some stuff, but there wasn't much in the movie that stood out to me. The Asian chick was pretty hot though (and there's not too many that I would go for). The focus seemed to be more on Farrell rather than Foxx. Overall, not a bad movie, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to go out of their way to see it.

That's how I saw it. Sure, he shot a few ppl and said some stuff, but there wasn't much in the movie that stood out to me. The Asian chick was pretty hot though (and there's not too many that I would go for). The focus seemed to be more on Farrell rather than Foxx. Overall, not a bad movie, but I wouldn't recommend anyone to go out of their way to see it.

Aw, shit son. That shit'll get you called a CraKKKa ass rascist, now.

And I was jokin' about Foxx. He made a career out of that for a while.

Guest JumpinJackFlash
QUOTE(MFerXtreme87 @ Aug 3 2006, 01:21 AM)

I just saw MV tonite and thought it was just OK. Jamie Foxx didn't really do much except fuck that black chick. The best part was when he said "just playin." That was some funny shit right there. I didn't think Colin Farrell was that great either. The movie just didn't seem to make it out of first gear. Not nearly as much action as I would've thought. BTW, I think that was the first movie I saw where there were no opening credits. Me and a couple of my buddies went. We went at 10, so it was easy to sneak in without paying. Plus we had alcohol so it was good times.

No fuckin' way. Jamie Foxx didn't do much except fuck a Black chick?

I would be satisfied with not doing much except fucking the black chick.

:D

If you don't like Heat, you don't like good films.

It's surprisingly that simple.

Just because I didn't like afilm that was all about blowing shit up and killing means that I don't like good movies. Wow, that makes sense. I didn't like it becasue I didn't think it was that good. It's my opinion, and I'm allowed not to like all the movies that come out. I HATED Scarface and many people like it. I thought that was one of the most overrated movies ever. Al Pacino wasn't very convincing and it was all about violence.

And just to let you know I like good movies. Just because you like a film doesn't make it good, and just becasue someone doesn't like a movie doesn't make it a bad film. I've disliked movie that are good movie before. They are just not my cup of tea.

Scarface is a bloated, overlong remake of an actual classic. It's weird but when it came out the movie was mostly trashed by critics (like *1/2 or **) and now it's getting ***1/2 and ****. In reality it's something like a **1/2 movie. Maybe *** tops.

I need to watch Heat again. I recall it being a very solid film, also overlong like Scarface. Typical drug dealer movies or cops and robbers movies don't need to be 3 hours long.

Just because I didn't like afilm that was all about blowing shit up and killing means that I don't like good movies.

Dude, what film did you watch?

Just because I didn't like afilm that was all about blowing shit up and killing means that I don't like good movies. Wow, that makes sense. I didn't like it becasue I didn't think it was that good. It's my opinion, and I'm allowed not to like all the movies that come out. I HATED Scarface and many people like it. I thought that was one of the most overrated movies ever. Al Pacino wasn't very convincing and it was all about violence.

And just to let you know I like good movies. Just because you like a film doesn't make it good, and just becasue someone doesn't like a movie doesn't make it a bad film. I've disliked movie that are good movie before. They are just not my cup of tea.

That "It's my opinion" shit doesn't fly unless you can actually back your opinion up with reasoning.

That "It's my opinion" shit doesn't fly unless you can actually back your opinion up with reasoning.

Actaully, it does fly since I did back it up. As I have stated I don't have to like all moves ever made, and just becasue someone likes a movie doesn't mean it's a good movie. I don't like it, and that's my opinion on the film. I didn't think it was a good movie. I don't like movies like that, and I didn't like that movie.

Actaully, it does fly since I did back it up. As I have stated I don't have to like all moves ever made, and just becasue someone likes a movie doesn't mean it's a good movie. I don't like it, and that's my opinion on the film. I didn't think it was a good movie. I don't like movies like that, and I didn't like that movie.

Welcome back, fanofcoils. I didn't miss you.

Looks like a rental to me, though I typically really like Michael Mann's films. (everyone always forgets The Insider and Manhunter, two other really good flicks).

Also, I'm not expecting any similarities, but the original show was the shit, plain and simple. Shit, I could watch Tubbs dance in front of the stripper from the Pilot episode on a loop for two hours.

Heat is not an "overlong" movie, nor is it only about blowing shit up. It actually flies by in terms of pace, and there's lots of depth to it. There's a reason why it fills out three hours without missing a beat, making it shorter would have ruined it.

It's kinda funny how Curry brings up Benchwarmers as a stereotypical "stupid" movie and CD is all "THATS HILARIOUS".

Scarface can't help but be overrated when people are all "It's the G.O.A.T." It's not really fair to say that, since it implies that the movie might not be good. But that's also a great movie. Great rags to riches to (SPOILER ALERT) Rags story. Pacino plays the fiery Cuban FOB to perfection. Manolo Ray is great as the right-hand man. I'm left wondering why Steven Bauer didn't get any other roles, because I think his suave demeanor plays a perfect contrast to Tony's hot-headedness.

Haven't seen MV, looks like stylized crap, but I'll probably give it a chance since I am such a big fan of Heat. I should probably watch Collateral first, since that's gotten a lot of praise.

Van Zant: What are you doing?

Neil McCauley: What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone.

Van Zant: I don't understand.

Neil McCauley: 'Cause there is a dead man on the other end of this fuckin' line

Oh c'mon, that movie is awesome.

I've liked every Michael Mann movie but couldn't get into this one. The plot either needed to be more interesting or they needed more action scenes because they stretched out a REALLY simple plot until the final gun fight, which was great. I don't like Farrell or Fox much though so maybe that got in the way of my judgement.

*BUMP*

Fuck the haters. I repeat, fuck the haters. This came across just as good if not better upon DVD viewing. I think in order to like this movie you've gotta be a fan of the details. Sure this is a drug-trade based movie but it's not sexy like Blow or gritty like Requiem For A Dream. It's about the technical side of things, transpo and drop-offs, meet and greets and the like. I also really dug it being a film about the GLOBAL drug trade. Most of it does take place in Miami but it's really about two American guys who happen to get caught up in a worldwide situation. Miami, Havana, Haiti, Columbia, Geneva.....it goes all over and does it well.

Superb casting. Farrell and Foxx don't need to have "We're super-duper best buddies" chemistry because the movie isn't about their personal relationship, it's about business and they play it like that. Jose Yero is one of the better villains to come along in a while because he's not the guy who think he is but he's very ambitious and wants to move beyond middleman status. Ciaran Hinds has a small but pivotal role with Fujima and I dug him in this too.

Absolutely beautiful filming. The shots of Jesus's house in Columbia by the waterfall, the speedboats racing under the bridge to meet the deadline, the tense-as-fuck sequence at the end with the harbour shootout. I don't even hate the subplot between Farrell and Gong Li because it tied in well enough with Tubbs and Trudy and how one of them has to force himself to let go whereas the other can't even put the idea in his head.

I just got the DVD yesterday and watched it with 2 of my friends. I would say we all have pretty good taste in movies and give every movie out there a fair chance and dont pre-judge. I was expecting this movie to entertain me and be an enjoyable time. Boy was I wrong. I don't know what it is about the movie but I just didn't like the way it was put together. I am a media production major in my senior year of college and as a novice in the business there was just a lot of shots that were not put together well in my opinion. The story developed very slowly. I will admit that the acting was very good which was the strong point of the movie. It is just that it didn't compel me to keep watching and it was hard to get through. Thats just me though. Maybe I should give it a second watch and see how I feel about it.

Michael Mann made a mistake here in my view in not reintroducing these characters one iota. It was sorta like he expected everyone to just know who these characters were beyond Crockett and Tubbs. I had to strain to realize the dude that was their boss was (I think) the same Edward James Olmos character. Why not just get Olmos again? Also, the TV show had more time to develop the smaller characters. But here the supporting cops are just a faceless group and I didn't even know they were supposed to even be the same people!

I also never quite felt the film lays a solid foundation. It never made total sense as to why Crockett and Tubbs even got involved with international drug business when they're in theory supposed to just be Miami Vice. I suppose they did on the show to some degree, but there were more personal reasons involved. C & T had no personal agenda here for initially getting involved, so why not just say "Fuck it, the DEA can handle this. Let's go bust a guy peddling coke to tourists on South Beach."

I will admit the last half has some bravura action scenes, such as the final gunfight and the whole bit in the trailer. Thing is, why were the rednecks even in the movie? I never understood quite how they fit in with the drug dealers.

In the end this movie is a **1/2 misfire. Probably not even in Michael Mann's top 5.

They got involved because 1) The DEA knew their cover was blown and had to use an outside source to uncover the leak and 2) Miami Dade wasn't a part of the task force so Crockett and Tubbs had perfect cover. They also had a personal reason as the Aryan Brotherhood was responsible for the death of Alonso's girlfriend and drove him to suicide.

Pretty simple actually. Gets explained within the first five minutes of the film.

I loved it. Best thing about it was how it moved fast and didn't slow down to tip-toe audiences through it. From talking to many people who hated it, I realized the main complaint people had is that they had trouble getting into it. I really liked how Mann made sure to not slow down to explain things for people to easily understand. The movie starts ahead of the viewer and stays that way. It's not that hard to keep up and put it all together but you have to think fast.

More movies need to be that fast paced and more movies need to avoid dumbing things down for people to keep up.

Miami Vice was many things, but not fast paced. The middle part with Crockett and Isabella slowed everything down too much. Loved the last 30 minutes though

Curry, thing is who gives a shit about this Alonso dude? The guy shows up at the beginning and then offs himself. It's never referred to again in particular, so it's hardly a convincing personal reason for C & T to get involved.

Orange Goblin, I enjoy fast paced movies but the thing is I didn't think Miami Vice really ever set up any sort of compelling initial plot. Unless a film is a mystery you have to establish a coherent who, what, when, where, and why. If you watch the original TV pilot these things are clear (Crockett is a burnt out Vietnam vet/football star turned cop, Tubbs is a NYC cop after the drug dealer who killed his brother).

Truth be told, I almost wish Mann had just changed the title to something else. Calling it Miami Vice implies certain things to the audience, like pastel clothes, Elvis the gator, etc. It's a decent crime drama, but the movie isn't Miami Vice...if that makes any sense.

I had to strain to realize the dude that was their boss was (I think) the same Edward James Olmos character. Why not just get Olmos again?

According to IMDB, they asked him and he turned them down. Although IMDB is hardly a definitive source.

Curry, thing is who gives a shit about this Alonso dude? The guy shows up at the beginning and then offs himself. It's never referred to again in particular, so it's hardly a convincing personal reason for C & T to get involved.

Orange Goblin, I enjoy fast paced movies but the thing is I didn't think Miami Vice really ever set up any sort of compelling initial plot. Unless a film is a mystery you have to establish a coherent who, what, when, where, and why. If you watch the original TV pilot these things are clear (Crockett is a burnt out Vietnam vet/football star turned cop, Tubbs is a NYC cop after the drug dealer who killed his brother).

Truth be told, I almost wish Mann had just changed the title to something else. Calling it Miami Vice implies certain things to the audience, like pastel clothes, Elvis the gator, etc. It's a decent crime drama, but the movie isn't Miami Vice...if that makes any sense.

There are pictures at Alonso's house of him with Crockett and Tubbs so yeah.......you're wrong.

Miami Vice was many things, but not fast paced. The middle part with Crockett and Isabella slowed everything down too much. Loved the last 30 minutes though

I never said the movie is fast paced, I meant that the plot works at a fast pace. Everything occurs at a pace it would occur in if it were reality.