TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

Ultimate Put Over.....

I was thinking..What wrestler has the respect and notariaty to put someone over and have it actually mean something...Then I thought of the Undertaker...Im not saying he's willing or the WWE would want him too...But I think If the Undertaker went to Vince and said..I like this kid... he impresses me..he respects the business..the other guys like him....He had some popularity...And Vince agrees with the Taker's Thoughts....He might be willing to Put someone over at WrestleMania..

Mabye a guy like Shelton Benjamin or mabye Lashley...I dont know mabye you guys could come up with some good, deserving guys...I think Taker has a lot of naggin injuries and wants to hang it up within the next couple years...Mabye Put over someone at WrestleMania 23...And make one last title run...On Raw or something....What do you guys think....What other good put overs are there if they are any?

The thing is, putting someone over has so much more to it then simply doing a job. Look at Benoit, Jericho, and others, they won their big matches, walked away with belts, but within a few months it didn't mean much anymore. Until guys like Triple H and UT are ready to leave the ring for good, I doubt they will TRULY put someone over.

I would say Mick Foley putting over orton at Backlash 04 is about as close as you're gonna get, and even that's no much because Foley was nothing by that point anyways.

The thing is, putting someone over has so much more to it then simply doing a job. Look at Benoit, Jericho, and others, they won their big matches, walked away with belts, but within a few months it didn't mean much anymore. Until guys like Triple H and UT are ready to leave the ring for good, I doubt they will TRULY put someone over.

That's what Im saying...Im sure Taker would have the green light to pick who he wanted to put over..Pending approval from Vince of course...If that happens at WrestleMania...Then you could probably come to the conclusion that Taker is getting close to hanging it up...

I would say Mick Foley putting over orton at Backlash 04 is about as close as you're gonna get, and even that's no much because Foley was nothing by that point anyways.

Thumbtacks are as bad for society as eight-year olds breastfeeding their boyfriends at the mall.

That's what I love about Mick Foley...He won't hesitate to put the young guys over but still makes himself look respectable...Edge..Orton...

The sad part is, it's actually happened before. When Foley first came in as Mankind in 1996, it was Taker who established him by letting Foley pin him in almost every match they had for like four months straight. That right there MADE Mankind a serious threat to anyone, in the fans' eyes. And then years later Foley returned the favor to younger guys like HHH, Orton, and Edge.

BUT... since that time, Taker has gotten much pickier about laying down to anyone, ever. He only gets pinned about once or twice a year, literally. Hogan ain't any better, and may in fact be worse. Austin and Rock are gone and unable to put over the new generation. HHH does more jobs than he used to, but he also still squashes other guys to an unnecessary extent; and what's worse, he often just brushes off his few losses like they don't mean anything to him, acting like the other guy still isn't in his league. Shawn Michaels won't lay down for anyone unless they have an entire swat team strafe him with machineguns first.

So who does that leave to put over the Next Big Star?

. . .

...exactly.

I'd say the last big rub was given to Triple H by Mick Foley. Mick did the job every time, in every way possible, and each consecutive time, the fans were SO SURE Foley was going to win. THAT was the way to put someone over.

I thought Trips gave Batista a decent rub by dropping three high profile matches including a HIAC match and never getting those back. It certainly went a long way in making Batista the top face for Smackdown after beating HHH 3 times including HHH's supposed "match".

I thought Trips gave Batista a decent rub by dropping three high profile matches including a HIAC match and never getting those back. It certainly went a long way in making Batista the top face for Smackdown after beating HHH 3 times including HHH's supposed "match".

True, except immediately after, Batista was shipped off to the B-show to be forgotten about.....It would have been SOMETHING if instead HHH went to Smackdown to let Batista reign on Raw, while Triple H took on the task of trying to revamp Smackdown.

I remember how Hogan would always praise Andre (in dvds, Biographies, E Hollywood Stories, etc) for putting him over at Wrestlemania 3...but now, when its his time to put some new talent over, he reverts into a 13 year old mark.

I remember how Hogan would always praise Andre (in dvds, Biographies, E Hollywood Stories, etc) for putting him over at Wrestlemania 3...but now, when its his time to put some new talent over, he reverts into a 13 year old mark.

That just shows That HulkaMania Truly lives forever... :bonk:

I think Benoit or Angle could put some over, if they were out wrestled like 3 times in a row by somebody. It would at least establish the new guy as another Benoit/Angle type bad-ass.

And anytime someone hands the Big Show his ass, it seems to put them over a little. (Lesnar, Cena)

Guest Oblivious Heel

Hogan was already ridiculously over by WM3. He was world champion for over 2 years at that point, selling huge merchandise and selling out shows everywhere, including WM3.

Andre is given way too much credit for Hogans success.

Guest Oblivious Heel

Nice rebuttal. Hogan was already "The MAN" and main draw in the company before Andre did the job.

And what gets me is that lately the WWE and/or Hogan will tell the story about how there was doubt about Andre doing the job at WM 3.

If Goldberg returned, having someone squash him Goldberg-style would really put someone over.

As long as that person was getting crowd pops, otherwise the crowd would probably crap all over that.

I think the best way for 'Taker to put someone over would be to have him vanish for a bit, then return, prolly with some heel manager that everyone hates, so that he could be a heel as well. This would be the hardest part; making Undertaker a heel.

Anyway, assuming it could be done, have him come back as a surprise entrant in the Rumble, win, and go on to face a babyface champ at WM. Then they could build up the streak, the fact that most RR winners manage to win, yada yada yada, 'Taker loses. That'd put someone over BIG.

Hogan, Austin or Taker are the most able to put someone over. The problem is, Hogan would need to be squashed in order to put someone over due to his age, Austin won't lay down for anyone, and Taker takes his character too seriously. The only one that could convincingly put over a heel is Hogan.

Hogan, Austin or Taker are the most able to put someone over. The problem is, Hogan would need to be squashed in order to put someone over due to his age, Austin won't lay down for anyone, and Taker takes his character too seriously. The only one that could convincingly put over a heel is Hogan.

I think of those three, Austin would be the most willing to put someone over.

Well, yeah, but he can't really work. If they really want to put someone over one of those guys, it can't be a back and forth match, it needs to be a convincing victory.

Well, yeah, but he can't really work. If they really want to put someone over one of those guys, it can't be a back and forth match, it needs to be a convincing victory.

And when they did do it with one of them, Undertaker, it was for someone that anyone with a brain knew had zero upside (Khali).

Guest Oblivious Heel

Vince McMahon is at total fault for the young guys not being put over. If he wanted Taker to put over Orton clean then he'd make him or send his ass home. If he wanted Edge to be put over huge then he'd make HHH do it. If he wanted to send HBK to ECW to put over CM Punk then he would make him or send his Holy ass home.

Vince gave Hogan his creative control contract so Vince should be smart enough not to book guys he wants to be the future (Orton) or protected (HBK) against the orange hemroid.