TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JangoFett4Hire

Help me stock my bar

I'm moving to a new apartment next week. A studio! No roommates! I'm excited! I'm looking forward

to stockpiling some booze since I don't have to worry about roomies or their guests swilling it all! Right

now my collection is pretty sad, with a bottle of Southern Comfort, 151 and a nearly empty bottle of

Absolut. I'd like to have a pretty diverse and complete collection of booze for entertaining purposes.

What, in your opinion, is no bar complete without?

Jacks and Vodka, of course.

Crown Royal is also a nice touch. I also suggest, if women will be frequenting this bar, peach schapps, creme de cacao and banana liqeur.

Even if it's just for show, a bottle of wine or two can't hurt. My grandfather has two cool bottles that I know he'll never touch from 2000, put out specifically for the millenium, showcasing drawings of famous/important Canadians.

I prefer Tanqueray to Bombay as far as gin goes. A bottle of Chopin or Grey Goose vodka is extremely high class and makes a nice conversation piece, too, if it's gonna be a visible bar. And a fifth of Hennessey--nice bottle, great cognac.

Or a handle of Aristocrat Peach Schnapps. There's your class.

Tequila.

There comes a time in every party where someone suggests it. It's your job to help that person make a fool of himself.

Edited by Ace309

Johnnie Walker. No one expects you to get the Blue label, but definitely strive for the Green. Or Gold, if you're feeling frisky.

I'm not up to snuff on my scotch. What are the rankings of the labels. Red is the schwag, right?

And as far as tequila is concerned, what's a good one? I've only had Cuervo Gold and frankly, I hate it. I've

heard Petron is good?

Johnnie Walker. No one expects you to get the Blue label, but definitely strive for the Green. Or Gold, if you're feeling frisky.

I'm not up to snuff on my scotch. What are the rankings of the labels. Red is the schwag, right?

And as far as tequila is concerned, what's a good one? I've only had Cuervo Gold and frankly, I hate it. I've

heard Petron is good?

No it's red, black, green, gold and blue

Guest wildpegasus
I'm moving to a new apartment next week. A studio! No roommates! I'm excited! I'm looking forward

to stockpiling some booze since I don't have to worry about roomies or their guests swilling it all! Right

now my collection is pretty sad, with a bottle of Southern Comfort, 151 and a nearly empty bottle of

Absolut. I'd like to have a pretty diverse and complete collection of booze for entertaining purposes.

Too many empty calories.

I would reccomend whey protein drinks, juice like apple or orange juice or some milk. If you want to get real fancy than show off some kind of exotic juice or chocolate milk. This is healthier for you and you also won't have to worry about getting drunk and becoming an alcoholic. You're too old to be drinking anyway not that there's ever an age where someone should be drinking in the first place. It's time to grow up.

Too many empty calories.

I would reccomend whey protein drinks, juice like apple or orange juice or some milk. If you want to get real fancy than show off some kind of exotic juice or chocolate milk. This is healthier for you and you also won't have to worry about getting drunk and becoming an alcoholic. You're too old to be drinking anyway not that there's ever an age where someone should be drinking in the first place. It's time to grow up.

It's time to get laid. I don't recall apple juice ever being an effective wing-man.

PS I don't worry about becoming an alcoholic.

Guest Felonies!

I live like a fucking Mormon, and even I wouldn't show off my impressive array of juices and whey. Kill this gimmick.

I haven't drank apple juice since May, when I had to go the hospital because my stomach was hurting. They made me drink some sort of fluid mixed with apple juice which would allow them to do an X-ray of my stomach, and which was pretty much the most disgusting thing I have ever drank. Then I drove to New York to see Guns N' Roses and got lost in a black neighborhood. It was scary, but I'm not racist! I just get scared when I'm lost! But I haven't taken a chance on apple juice since then, because I fear that just the smell might cause me to vomit.

heard Petron is good?

Patron is fantastic. Expensive as balls, and perhaps not something you want to be giving out in shots to random visitors, but it's real good. And I generally hate tequila.

If you're going to add scotch, you have to pick a semi-obscure brand and act like it's the best thing you've ever had by latching on to some characteristic that sets it apart from Walker Black (which is usually the only scotch people drink). For example, pick up a bottle of The Dalmore Cigar Malt and mention its unusual smoothness.

Jameson over Bushmill's, as far as Irish whiskey goes... but between the Jack, Crown, Jameson and scotch recommendations, that's a whole lot of brown liquor. If you want a simple, all-purpose whisk(e)y, go with Jack, or with Evan Williams, which is a budget-label that, in mixes, approximates the sweetness and other flavors that make Jack stand out.

Your basics are one whiskey, one vodka, one gin, one tequila, and a bottle (or spritzer) of cheap vermouth for people who drink manhattans or martinis. Other accoutrements are basically upgrades - very few visitors expect you to keep cognac, 99 Bananas or apple Pucker on hand. CanadianGuitarist is right, though - if you plan to have ladies stopping by, keep stuff for neon fauxtinis on hand, and a couple of martini glasses. Nothing gets a drunk girl drunker like making her an apple martini.

Guest Paul

To add to the mix, I'd get some AfterShock or Rumpleminz. Twenty year old girls like that stuff.

I LOVE Jameson. It's my favorite whiskey by far. As far as American Bourbons go, I prefer Maker's Mark over Jim or Jack.

I had absinthe over in Sweden, tasty but illegal here in the states. I've seen websites where you can order it, but I hear it's not the real deal.

I'd like my little set-up to be first class. Thus, I'm trying to avoid anything by Hiram Walker or DeKuyper (is that the right name? The

people who bring us Razzmatazz and Pucker). I'd rather shell out the

extra ten bucks for Chambourd or Midori. I mean if my guests or I

are going to consuming empty calories and/or becoming alcoholics, I'd rather it be a first class ride into oblivion.

Where's a good store to pick up some glassware by the by? Martini glasses, etc...

What about Tres Generaciones tequila? Saw that at a bar and dug the label.

Eric, to each their own. If you enjoy it, bottoms up man! To each their own. I really like Absolut vodka (I think it's swedish loyalty...) and Beefeater gin. I don't think either one of those are considered top shelf anymore, but I have my loyalties.

Linens & Things has relatively inexpensive, relatively nice-looking glassware.

Also, buy a bottle of bitters, so it looks like you know what you're doing.

Edited by Ace309

They sell Absinthe here in liquor stores now, but it is fake, well it's not FAKE, but they took out the ingredients that made it illegal in the states. So it is American Absinthe.

Jameson's Irish Whiskey

Cabo Wabo

Baileys

Kaluha

Grey Goose Vodka

Triple Sec

Grenadine

...and a bunch of liquers....