TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

Gas Price Check...

We need to drill here...

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.as...42081&cat=1

The Bakken Oil Formation, which covers North Dakota and portions of Montana and South Dakota, is believed to have 175 to 500 billion barrels of recoverable oil. The 200,000 square mile reserve that was initially discovered in 1951.

The world uses about 83 million barrels a day. Drill the shit.

In Opelika, where I live, it's around 3.09. At the Chevron close to Auburn University, 3.39 because dumbshit college kids don't care about the price of gas since mommy or daddy pay the bills. Of course, most Chevron stations seem to be higher than others. Non-Chevron stations near campus are about 3.19 ~ 3.29.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

When it goes over 5, I'm hijacking a tanker truck at gunpoint.

We need to drill here..

plus oil stats for Oil Shale

we wouldn't see a drop of that energy for decades.

If we're going to spend billions and billions and decades on energy sources in America, lets make it something that doesn't make our problems worse.

(Oil shale and tar sands require VAST amounts of water to refine into fuel and emit more CO2 than oil does)

In other words, there has to be a limit to what you'll ignore to get your cheap gas.

I still say they have a plan and raising it to 4/a gallon isn't going to be permanent. They've done this since prices started spiking.

You have a set price that gas has been for a while. In this case it's in the 3.09-3.30 range. Then they raise it to 3.80 and we all flip out. Then they spike it to like 4.00 a gallon and we're like "shit! that's what too much!" and freak out even more. Then they lower it to 3.80 and we're like "Well......that's better." And then we don't complain as loudly as before.

They've done it since they started raising prices. But, I don't think that strategy will work too much longer.

The thing that sucks the most about this is that we basically have to bend over and take this right now.

(Oil shale and tar sands require VAST amounts of water to refine into fuel and emit more CO2 than oil does)

Over 70% of the planet is covered with water. We're not running out anytime soon. And if you want to reduce CO2, bulldoze the fucking Amazon.

Over 70% of the planet is covered with water. We're not running out anytime soon. And if you want to reduce CO2, bulldoze the fucking Amazon.

Um...

How far do you have to drive everyday, everybody?

If I drive for my commute, it's ~10 miles per day, total.

2000 corolla with 100k miles on it, gets about 30 mpg.

My job is literally 5 minutes from my house, thankfully. The wife, however, is around 10 to 15, depending on traffic. There's also about 10 stop lights between my house and my work, so that can start to catch up with your gas everyday. She drives a gas hog 2006 Ford Freestar van, I drive a gas hog 2006 Pontiac G6. I can't believe how much gas that little car slurps up.

$3.18 here (New London, NH) is the cheapest in town anyway.

Since I'm at college, I'm lucky in that the farthest drive is 10-15 minutes to the grocery store although to hit a movie theater involves about 30 minutes on the highway.

Driving home and back though is 2 hours each way (4 in total).

I am routinely surpised that I can bike, walk, take the bus, or drive in four minutes to two grocery stores, two movie theatres, a shopping mall, etc... and not everyone else can.

But please, I still want to know who else has long commutes. I'm commiserate!

Guest Tzar Lysergic

22 miles to work.

4 miles to the nearest gas station, store, and bank.

8 miles to Wal-Mart

40 miles to the nearest system of public transportation. (The bus station in Ft. Wayne)

I am routinely surpised that I can bike, walk, take the bus, or drive in four minutes to two grocery stores, two movie theatres, a shopping mall, etc... and not everyone else can.

Eric, you and I live in one of the major metropolitan hubs in the entire nation.

My dad drives 58 miles to work every day. I only posted that because I'm sure it beats the rest of you guys. He works for LA County and uses a special truck that he brings home, so, public transportation is absolutely NOT an option.

He also gets free gas.

Especially when you can ride the bus for free.

Especially when you can ride the bus for free.

Since when? It costs $2 a ride to take the bus here. Plus the Bus is 99% always late.

40 miles to work... each way!

Less than a mile from Wal Mart, gas station, and grocery store.

$3.29/gal BTW Lexington KY

Since you live and work at a major university with its own bus system, it's free.

(actually paid for by student fees...)

Six miles to work. If I want to take advantage of public transportation, the closest bus stop to my home is in the same plaza.

It's about 35 miles to Scranton when I work the baseball games.

Two miles to work for me. I normally walk or bike in the non-winter months. Otherwise, my wife drops me off on the way to her work (probably about 5-6 miles, not served well by our public transit).

Guest Vitamin X

The Portland metropolitan area is still pretty small thanks to the Urban Growth Boundary put into place here, and even then I practice a philosophy of living closer to where I work so I don't have to drive. My commute is maybe a 1/4 mile, and my trip to the grocery store is no more than a mile or two (I'm counting one-ways here, of course).

Interesting site to check out: http://www.walkscore.com/

It's good if you're looking for a new place and want to make sure there's things to do that aren't too far away that you'll have to drive to get there. Mine's 78 now, but it used to be 98 at where I used to live, further in downtown Portland.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Mine is 0.

Sidenote: The "clothing/music" section actually named a warehouse for a shoe company.