TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

Gas Price Check...

Guest College Party

Boy, am I gonna hear about it in Site Feedback and the staff folder for unbanning MikeSC just n

oh

Dude, you are missing the entire point. I;m not trying to prove how smart I am by having owned 14 cars in my lifetime. Chalk that up to bad luck and having a father that owned a car lot. I brought that up to show that I have owned many cars and never bought a new one, sheesh! If you seriously believe it is more cost-effective to purchase something you don't have rather than use what you do have less, then your argument is, in fact, retarded. I read well enough, but that's not the problem here. I would say that English professors couldn't make sense out of my nephew's stories he wrote when he was four. The source material is the problem here.

Dude, you are missing the entire point. I;m not trying to prove how smart I am by having owned 14 cars in my lifetime. Chalk that up to bad luck and having a father that owned a car lot. I brought that up to show that I have owned many cars and never bought a new one, sheesh! If you seriously believe it is more cost-effective to purchase something you don't have rather than use what you do have less, then your argument is, in fact, retarded. I read well enough, but that's not the problem here. I would say that English professors couldn't make sense out of my nephew's stories he wrote when he was four. The source material is the problem here.

All you've done since the beginning of this discussion is put words in my mouth instead of commenting on what I actually said and insult me...except I'm right, and the only way you can argue with me is by implying I said stuff I did not.

Stop!!

This just in, one group estimates that oil will hit $200 in a year.

You think a fucking Carbon Tax is going to amount to any difference relative to THAT, Marvin?

By all reason we should have had a carbon tax the last ten years to drive the AMERICAN demand down so that when the price SPIKES like it will in the coming months we would be less succeptable to pain.

How much would a gas tax holiday save you?

I figured 90 miles a week (4 days a week working @ 15 miles round trip and 30 miles extra for whatever reason, rather generous actually for me) + 600 extra miles between the trip to Harrisburg (Which will probably be close to 500 total miles) and the Trip to Harrington DE for the State Fair which will be about another 100 (ironically, my big trip to NYC the week of the 19th would not count and thats going to be close to about 900 miles or so).

Between 5/26 and 9/1 you will drive 1950 miles. At 34 miles per gallon, you will burn 57.4 gallons of Gasoline.

Your Total Tax Relief would be $10.56

OMG..10 bucks! Meanwhile the government loses $9,000,000,000 (thats 9 Billion..) in revenue for roads and 300,000 people will lose their jobs.

Now if MD would drop their gas tax of 23.5 cents, it would be a savings of 41.9 cents a gallon ($24.05, although thats not counting the gas I would inevitably have to purchase in PA and DE on my two trips..but anyway)

Also, 57.4 gallons of gas is about 5 fillups for me which is probably right considering the extra 600 miles is about 2 tanks of gas and Im usually quite close to getting a tank of gas to last almost 4 weeks. I know gas wont stay @ $3.49 a gallon here all summer but also it wont go any lower than the $3.49-.18 so that amount of gas will cost at least $190 at a minimum of $3.31.

Basically, its a 5% discount. Whoo..you can do better than that with a one of those special gas cards.

Stop!!

This just in, one group estimates that oil will hit $200 in a year.

You think a fucking Carbon Tax is going to amount to any difference relative to THAT, Marvin?

By all reason we should have had a carbon tax the last ten years to drive the AMERICAN demand down so that when the price SPIKES like it will in the coming months we would be less succeptable to pain.

Clinton should have also allowed for drilling in ANWR back in 1995 so that today we'd have an extra million barrels of oil a day (out of 20 million daily used), but no one was thinking 13 years into the future then and we're not now. Its all about fixing things now and dealing with the consequences of the short term fix down the road, and it always leads to worse problems for the solution than the original problem presented. Hence gas tax holiday = extra money saved now BUT a few bridges will probably collapse because no money was given to repair them {they're already severely underfunded now as it is..} and kill some more people, and a couple hundred thousand people lose their jobs..big deal...I got an extra 10 dollars in my pocket..yeah!.

EDIT:

I was clicking around on the calculator and I clicked diesel and noticed that the tax on Diesel is basically 30 cents a gallon. I do have a strange feeling that if the truckers complain hard enough, that will probably get permanently reduced down to the level of regular gas at least, if not even lower, and that will do more for our economy than dropping the 18 cents for 3 months.

Guest College Party

Yeah, think about the truckers. 2-liter bottles of soda are up to like $1.50! I had to buy Diet 50/50 the other day because it was on sale, and I don't like grapefruit soda anymore! Worse, orange juice is up to like $4! I'm not going to sink to buying Donald Duck Orange Juice, that's for damn sure. Last time I drank that, it was like citrus-scented crotch rot.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Still have to distribute the product. Farmers' markets are great but oranges don't grown around The Great Lakes.

Guest College Party
Buy local ;)

Buy local what? Local orange juice? I live in the midwest.

I live by some farmer's markets, in general they are a very good option for fruits & veggies that are in season. A lot of the times you can find bargains as a lot of what doesn't sell at these markets is going in the trash anyways.

Guest College Party

I already get local produce when I can. I figured everyone does.

I would never want to meet EricMM in real life.

One of the local farmer markets introduced me to "squash blossoms" They are the little rigid bright colored flower that grows on the end of squash. I never knew you could eat them but the guy selling the squash said just to cook them in a pan with some salt/pepper/oil and serve with some butter. They taste awesome. At first he charged me for them but after a few weeks went by and I was the only one interested in buying them he started just collecting them up and giving them to me for free. :)

I have a pretty good local market 7 blocks or so from me. The owner is of Lebanese descent (a culture that I absolutely love), so he has tons of Mediterranean foods and ingredients. The deli makes traditional Mediterranean meals and desserts daily. They also have good produce.

Guest Vitamin X

Damn! Slow down already, gas prices!

There's a local bike shop here offering a sexy new bike to anyone who could most accurately predict right when gas will hit $4/gallon, gauging by the Shell station closest to the shop. I guessed on my birthday, one because it's on the Friday before Labor Day Weekend, and two because it's my f-n birthday and it would rock if I hit that sort of luck.

Oh, and as for farmer's market talk- I have one every Saturday morning right by my house. I usually pick up all my veggies and fruits there, and it's the only place I've ever actually felt comfortable haggling at, which is kind of fun to do sometimes. Thai folk sure do know how to do it back (they have a tent with homemade thai sauces, I like to buy their Pad Thai and Peanut Satay).

I've never gone to a farmer's market. For one, I don't give a shit about eating healthy. But perhaps more importantly, I've never lived anywhere near one. It would've always been a road trip. And when Kroger is right there, I'm not bothering.

Hey Eric, there's a conumdrum: is it better to burn the fossil fuels it would've taken to get me to the green-friendly farmer's market?

I live 5 minutes from a guy that has a farm and sells stuff out on a stand on the side of the road via the honor system (big plastic container bolted to the cart to put money in)..actually theres two farms but the other guy is always more expensive for some reason.

Plus the first guy sells fresh eggs cheaper than you can get the ones that have been sitting around forever in the store.

Guest Vitamin X
I've never gone to a farmer's market. For one, I don't give a shit about eating healthy. But perhaps more importantly, I've never lived anywhere near one. It would've always been a road trip. And when Kroger is right there, I'm not bothering.

Well, that's obvious.

Hey Eric, there's a conumdrum: is it better to burn the fossil fuels it would've taken to get me to the green-friendly farmer's market?

I think it depends on how "close" Kroger is, comparatively speaking. And farmer's markets aren't necessarily all about being green- you can buy local, and organic at a lot of major supermarkets as it is right now, anyways- but they do support a local economy, have great prices on good food (trust me, farmer's markets aren't just about healthy shit- the one by my house sells huge pulled pork sandwiches from pigs they slaughtered themselves, for fuck's sake!) and are great if you're really into cooking and want fresh and sometimes rare ingredients you might not find elsewhere.

You might be better off being snarky about something which you show you have even the slightest clue about, rather than make sweeping generalizations and referenced stereotypes about something you've never even been to.

But yeah, looking up localharvest.org, there isn't much around Prosper, TX looks like you'd have to drive out to McKinney or Celina to get anything.

So to save money, you would like me to go buy a new car? Right.

buy a new Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, get $2.99 gas guaranteed for 3 years

the only catches are that its only 12,000 miles worth per year based on the mpg of the car you buy and you have to forego any initial rebates you would get.

Oh, and you have to buy a Chysler/Dodge/Jeep..bleh

You might be better off being snarky about something which you show you have even the slightest clue about, rather than make sweeping generalizations and referenced stereotypes about something you've never even been to.

Exactly what stereotypes and generations were those? I was just trying to make a point that these hippie solutions don't necessarily work for everyone. Eric's not the only guy who's like this, but sometimes he comes across like a missionary who's trying to make you Care about the issues he's concerned with. But, much like with the bicycle debate a while back, I find myself in the position of either being unwilling or unable to follow his plan to save the planet. I don't live near any farmers markets, and aside from that I don't ever cook anything from scratch anyway. Hell yeah I'd take a fresh pulled-pork sandwich directly from the steaming pig's carcass, but there aren't any places like that within convenient reach that offers one.