TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

Gas Price Check...

So to save money, you would like me to go buy a new car? Right.

buy a new Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, get $2.99 gas guaranteed for 3 years

the only catches are that its only 12,000 miles worth per year based on the mpg of the car you buy and you have to forego any initial rebates you would get.

Oh, and you have to buy a Chysler/Dodge/Jeep..bleh

I've had a Chrysler Sebring for almost four and a half years now, and it's been extremely reliable. It's a nice car that averages about 26 mpg...remember when that used to be considered very good?

I find myself in the position of either being unwilling or unable

NSS!

Regarding the farmers market question I guess it would depend on how close one actually was vs. how far Kroegers ships their food to get to you. I would say in general it is better to buy locally re: Greenhouse gas.

How do you not cook? You CERTAINLY don't care about your health then, do you? What about your fucking wallet??

Tzar, I've ever mocked you about The Truck, but you do have a sad situation there :(

How do you not cook?

Is it that unusual? Frozen microwavable stuff, fast food, various snacks which come in airtight plastic baggies. I don't think it's any more expensive than eating healthy.

You CERTAINLY don't care about your health then, do you?

I'm a fucking chain smoker. Compared to that, eating unhealthy foods is like finding some toxic mold growing in the walls of a house which is currently burning down.

So to save money, you would like me to go buy a new car? Right.

buy a new Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, get $2.99 gas guaranteed for 3 years

the only catches are that its only 12,000 miles worth per year based on the mpg of the car you buy and you have to forego any initial rebates you would get.

Oh, and you have to buy a Chysler/Dodge/Jeep..bleh

I've had a Chrysler Sebring for almost four and a half years now, and it's been extremely reliable. It's a nice car that averages about 26 mpg...remember when that used to be considered very good?

Daimer Chrysler's entire fleet (Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep) as of last year only got on average 19.1 mpg which was the lowest of any Auto manufacturer. Currently the only hybrids they have are in the Aspen/Durrango SUVs which improve their 16 MPG 25% to a whopping 20 MPG.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Tzar, I've ever mocked you about The Truck, but you do have a sad situation there :(

Oh, I can afford it. That's not the point, though. This is the same goddamn gas from the same goddamn refineries that cost over a dollar less per gallon one year ago. I'm just sick of getting ripped off.

It's a speculative market, Tzar.

Why would they sell their gas at the old rate when they think they can and should sell it for more? Gas is not and never will be a "fair" business or price. It is not a right at all.

Getting close to five bucks a gallon around here.

We've been holding at $3.49 for about 4 or 5 days now which aparently is some of the cheapest gas in MD. It is $3.43 at Sams Club but I dont have a membership.

Im going to have to get gas on the 19th for my trip to NJ (dont want to have to fill up in DE where its about 15 cents more expensive and E10 (and you thought Ethanol would make gas cheaper!) which doesnt get as good mileage in my two previous fillup trials with it) and luckily NJ has some of the cheapest gas in the country.

Guest College Party
How do you not cook?

Is it that unusual? Frozen microwavable stuff, fast food, various snacks which come in airtight plastic baggies. I don't think it's any more expensive than eating healthy.

You CERTAINLY don't care about your health then, do you?

I'm a fucking chain smoker. Compared to that, eating unhealthy foods is like finding some toxic mold growing in the walls of a house which is currently burning down.

Maybe you should stop eating fast food and chain smoking.

It's not like I got any compelling reason to stay around. No kids to support or anything like that. I'd rather enjoy my vices and live a shorter life because of it, than do a bunch of stuff I hate every day in order to prolong my existence and do more stuff I hate for more days.

I think its absolutely absurd that the government would vote in almost complete secrecy to stop filling the Strategic Patroleum reserves as a measure to alleviate gas price pressures while at the SAME TIME voting down AGAIN to open up ANWR.

Short term solutions = disaster in the long term, the strategic reserve only holds enough to last 30 days and isn't even full yet, so what happens if we have a huge disaster and it disrupts things for longer than 2 or 3 weeks?

I think its absolutely absurd that the government would vote in almost complete secrecy to stop filling the Strategic Patroleum reserves as a measure to alleviate gas price pressures while at the SAME TIME voting down AGAIN to open up ANWR.

Short term solutions = disaster in the long term, the strategic reserve only holds enough to last 30 days and isn't even full yet, so what happens if we have a huge disaster and it disrupts things for longer than 2 or 3 weeks?

From Wikipedia, so I can't verify this, but it does quote a source.

According to the World Factbook[3], the United States imports a net 12 million barrels (1,900,000 m³) of oil a day (MMbd), so the SPR holds about a 58-day supply. However, the maximum total withdrawal capability from the SPR is only 4.4 million barrels (700,000 m³) per day, making it a 160 + day supply.

the SPR supposedly has 701 million barrels of oil in it right now. The maximum amount that can be pulled from the SPR per day is 4.4 million barrels. Problem with that is that the US uses on average about 20 million a day. So even if the SPR was full (which its not since they only add 70,000 barrels per day and have been doing so since 2002) it would technicaly have almost enough for 160 days..BUT that would mean some pretty severe rationing to get from using 20 million barrels a day to just 4.4 million in the event of a total disruption of oil. Theres about 35 days worth of oil in the SPR at the current rate of use..which I guess is what Glenn was refering to when he said there was only about a months worth of oil in the SPR even though it would take 5 months to pull it all out of the SPR per government rules.

Also, as far as I know, the deal yesterday only deals with them not sending the 70,000 barrels a day to the SPR, not selling off what they have now to lower prices which means this wont have any effect at all on gas prices until they start selling down what they have, which is where the problem will be.

Honestly Im more pissed off at them not opening ANWR up since yesterday was probably the last chance they had to do so with Polar Bears going on the threatened Species list ( a step down from Endangered) which will effectively kill any measure to drill for oil there (or anywhere near where a Polar Bear might call home) until they get taken off, which wont happen any time soon as long as the Environazis have their way with things. And yes, I just called them Environazis.

WSJ article for source

which I guess is what Glenn was refering to when he said there was only about a months worth of oil in the SPR

So you are just going by what Glenn Beck said? They cannot extract more than 4.4 million barrels per day at this point. Consequently, you have to use that number instead of what is consumed per day. I don't care if we start consuming 700 million barrels per day, you can only get 4.4 million out. Tell Glenn that I don't have an expertise in anything either, so I might try to take his job.

which I guess is what Glenn was refering to when he said there was only about a months worth of oil in the SPR

So you are just going by what Glenn Beck said? They cannot extract more than 4.4 million barrels per day at this point. Consequently, you have to use that number instead of what is consumed per day. I don't care if we start consuming 700 million barrels per day, you can only get 4.4 million out. Tell Glenn that I don't have an expertise in anything either, so I might try to take his job.

Technically there is a little more than a months worth of oil at current consumption rates. And I wonder what is more likely to happen if we did get cut off from oil and had to rely on the SPR: Severe rationing (1/5 less available which means long lines and increased through the roof prices) or a last second government rule that says they can pull out 20 million a day if need be. Something tells me option 1 with its likely riots in the streets and a pretty much complete shutdown of the economy would force their hand to option 2. I cant even find a graph that charts the last time the US was only consuming 4.4 million barrels a day. In 1973 it was at 15 million...so were talking setting back things at least 50-75 years (or more).

Marvin, it's not a fucking law, it's all they can physically remove in one day. There is a limit to how much they can get out of there, consumption be damned. I know you have no idea about this because Glenn hasn't told you what to think yet, but this is not a rationing issue.

Marvin, it's not a fucking law, it's all they can physically remove in one day. There is a limit to how much they can get out of there, consumption be damned. I know you have no idea about this because Glenn hasn't told you what to think yet, but this is not a rationing issue.

The way I read the 4.4 million barrels per day was that was what it was set to to keep from draining it down to fast. I cant find the site that I Saw that on (not the WSJ article).

Also, Im pretty sure if they had to, they could get more out of each site if they wanted to.

Drawdown Capability

Maximum drawdown capability - 4.4 million barrels per day

Time for oil to enter U.S. market - 13 days from Presidential decision

http://www.fossil.energy.gov/programs/rese.../spr-facts.html

Edit---Question: How fast can oil be released from the Reserve?

Answer: Should the President order an emergency sale of Strategic Petroleum Reserve oil, DOE can conduct a competition, select offers, award contracts, and be prepared to begin deliveries of oil into the marketplace within 13 days. Oil can be pumped from the Reserve at a maximum rate of 4.4 million barrels per day for up to 90 days, then the drawdown rate begins to decline as storage caverns are emptied. At 1 million barrels per day, the Reserve can release oil into the market continuously for nearly a year-and-a-half.

(from the same site's FAQ)

I think its time for congress to allow the opening of new refineries that they have been blocking. Doing that would cut into the draw back in supply not hitting the shelf right away. Thus bring the price down anywhere from 50 cents to a 1 dollar gallon, hopefully more. As of right now, I rather keep my Jeep with its 20mpg on the highway than buy a hybrid. Even if gas does hit 6 dollars a gallon. Its will not off set the price of payments.

You are being obtuse here.

I've been saying for years that the gas companies have no desire to build new refineries. They love their bottle neck. What they want is for there to be less restrictions on refineries so they can run them cheaper. Or no restrictions so they can build a new one, and then phase out the old one...

What don't you get about this being GOOD for them? Unless you want a national system of government sponsored refineries...

Isn't opening ANWR itself, a short term solution, and wouldn't be a good amount of time before any of that oil is ready for consumers?

If the "Peak Oil" crowd is correct about the amount of oil left, then the "seek & drill" is really the short term solution in itself. Not only that, but the oil companies themselves know this, but would rather be able to gouge the consumer till the final drop, instead of putting in other types of fuel now.

Honestly, I am not sure. I mean I care about the enviornment but I wouldn't be opposed to opening up ANWR if it was more then a band-aid, but what is the point if say 10-20 years from now we are right back into the same situation. It seems like the pro-drilling crowd along with our honorary spokesman Glenn Beck are CONVINCED that opening up ANWR is somehow THE solution, and quite frankly, I just want to know exactly what kind of supply is there and what kind of guarantee there is that it is going to effect gas prices more then 10-20 cents.(if that).

Also with Hybrids, I think we need enough of them to be in circulation for a used hybrid vehicle market to be created. Most people I know don't buy new cars because they can't afford them. They buy used cars in good condition.(well, relatively) Right now I doubt there is nearly enough for this to happen.

Can't the government just move towards getting us off oil? The president has said we're "addicted to oil", but hasn't done anything substantive to change that in any way.