TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

Gas Price Check...

$0.69/gallon is the lowest I ever paid. It was $0.79 in most of WV, and as soon as you cross into VA, it is typically 10 cents cheaper. I remember when putting $10 in gas in the car would fill it up.

I'm still waiting for a real damn good explanation for why prices have jumped 500% in the past decade.
Bush...?

Increased demand, lowered supply, weakened dollar.

Guest Vitamin X
I remember when putting $10 in gas in the car would fill it up.

And ya had to walk uphill both ways to do it!

I remember the first tank of gas I put in my car was $1.09/gallon. That was June of 1999. Tears, yo. We hit over $4 for regular in Arlington, VA this weekend.

I first started filling up at $1.25/gallon, and I had a 32 gallon tank. $40.00 for a monstrosity that might have gotten 10 miles to the gallon. I always estimated 6, though.

In the midwest, we have cheaper gas than the rest of the country, usually. I can remember paying 89 cents a gallon around 1994.

So I hear oil prices dropped, but gas prices keep going up. Wasn't that one of their big excuses? They had to raise gas prices to combat rising oil prices?

Gas prices seem to have dropped slightly (like six cents) around here. Paid $3.93 for regular unleaded yesterday.

Basically, the oil companies have zero incentive to lower prices. We keep buying, because we have to.

....and when prices finally do drop they never drop down back to what they originally were before "the price of oil rose" It is like they know people will be happy enough just to see prices drop by a few pennies.

When I first started driving in 1996, I remember paying $.98/gallon.

....and when prices finally do drop they never drop down back to what they originally were before "the price of oil rose" It is like they know people will be happy enough just to see prices drop by a few pennies.

When I first started driving in 1996, I remember paying $.98/gallon.

Exactly. It seems like there's been this continuous pattern where the price will suddenly rise, say, 7 cents, and then drop may four or five cents a couple days later. So, it still goes up, but it somehow "makes people feel better."

Just saw a report on the news tonight...driving nationally is down 2 percent, while mass transit use is actually up 3 percent.

And it continues...GM announced this morning they're closing four North American plants within the next couple years, cutting down production of SUVs and trucks.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

If Ft. Wayne Assembly is among them, this part of the state is fucked. They mainly do large commercial vehicles, though.

If only they could have switched the production of those plants years ago. Or changed the MINDSET of people. After all, they sold (almost) exclusively large vehicles because people accepted larger profit margins on those vehicles, for whatever reason.

Small cars had to be affordable so the profits were slim. I don't know why SUVs didn't have to be. I guess they were more status symbols. But now the status is going to be: broke. Or possibly fired.

Guest Vitamin X

Or: sitting in the driveway because you can't afford the gas for them any longer.

Or: repossessed because you can't afford to make payments since your house is being foreclosed due to a subprime.

Take your pick, it's America in 2008!

I'm paying anywhere from 3.79-3.99 in North Jersey. I work in Yonkers, NY where I've seen prices as high as 4.39 for a gallon of regular so far. I always make sure I have at least a half full tank before I leave in the morning cuz I'll be damned if I'm paying over 4 bucks unless I actually have to.

I also miss the days of filling up my old '89 beater Ford for 10 bucks at 92 cents a gallon. Now it costs me at least 50 if I wanna have a full tank for my Focus.

Aaaaaaaaaaand the price of oil shoots BACK UP to above 130 because some Brit bank is raising interest rates, thus making the pound stronger and thus the dollar weaker, I surmise.

Le sigh.

Sears is going to have a deal this weekend into next week where you can buy $100 worth of Dockers items and get a $75 shell gas card back in the mail for fathers day.

Buy your dad some nice pants and get yourself some gas. Me, Im gonna have pants and gas.

Long edit: I got 4 tickets to see the Incredible Hulk by buying $100 worth of Kmart gift cards which I will use at Sears tomorrow to buy the pants to get the gift card.