TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

Gas Price Check...

Oil prices continue to go up today. On usatoday.com, the major reason mentioned for the soaring oil prices (down to $122.30 at close a couple of days ago) was an analyst at Morgan Stanley predicted that oil prices could be as high as $150 per barrell by July 4th. I wish that sort of logic worked in other areas of our economy. If so, I would---as a financial person myself---predict that my house will be worth $1,000,000 by next year. That would be pretty cool.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2008...815204975_x.htm

Edit---Sorry, I should clarify that the article explains yesterdays gains as the rise of the euro like Eric mentioned, but today's gains were due to predictions. They supposedly have data to back up the prediction, so it isn't as bad as I made it sound, but I'm still pissed.

Guest Vitamin X
I was reading some old gas threads just now from '04 and and one from around Hurricane Katrina. It was strange to see people upset about $1.90 gas. It seems to be going down quite a bit recently. In my area, the average has gone from about $2.85 to $2.65 in the last 2-3 weeks. I was curious to know about other areas. How are the prices in the south? The west coast?

Also, I thought I heard on the news this week that the prices may do down to $2.00 this fall. Can anyone verify this? This happened last year I remember, before they shot way the hell up again in the spring.

Go.

Prices seem to be going up in Anchorage, but that's probably because of the pipeline corrosion. Damn pipes.

I think I paid $2.91 a gallon last night.

Check out the first prices in this thread, just under two years ago. It was in the mid-$2.50s or so, this was when I made my trek across the country in my Tracker, and probably the last road trip I'll ever take by car.

If I were to do Miami-Portland this time or any other time, I'd just sell a bunch of my shit and do it Amtrak style.

Also from 2006!

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Washington, D.C. – House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi released the following statement today on news reports that the price of oil has skyrocketed to more than $70 a barrel:

“As Americans pay almost 90 percent more to fill their gas tanks since President Bush took office, oil companies continue to reap gigantic profits and oil executives receive astronomical compensation. Record prices, record retirement packages, and record profits are just the latest example of the wealthy few benefiting at the expense of hard-working Americans under the Bush Administration.

“The Republican Rubber Stamp Congress has passed two energy bills, costing taxpayers $12 billion for giveaways to big oil companies. But the Republican bills clearly have done nothing to lower gas prices, as the price of a barrel of oil has settled above $70 a barrel – the highest price in our history. Even the Chairman of the Federal Reserve agrees that gas prices are decreasing the purchasing power of American families and depressing the U.S. economy.

“Democrats have a plan to lower gas prices, taking America in a new direction that works for everyone, not just the few. Our plan would empower the Federal Trade Commission to crack down on price gouging to help bring down skyrocketing gas prices, increase production of alternative fuels, and rescind the billions of dollars in taxpayer subsidies, tax breaks, and royalty relief given to big oil and gas companies.”

Funny, I thing the price of a barrel of oil has doubled in the past two years..and the price of a gallon of gas has almost doubled as well. Good job Nancy! Keep up the good work!

If I were to do Miami-Portland this time or any other time, I'd just sell a bunch of my shit and do it Amtrak style.

Why? I've got my high school reunion coming up and was shopping around trying to calculate the cheapest way to get back there, and discovered that Amtrak is actually more expensive than an airline ticket. Plus somehow a train ride from Texas to Tennessee apparently takes two days. And they have bizarre gaps in certain parts of the countries, like how Memphis has the only Amtrak station in the entire state. Do not want.

Guest Vitamin X

Why? I've got my high school reunion coming up and was shopping around trying to calculate the cheapest way to get back there, and discovered that Amtrak is actually more expensive than an airline ticket. Plus somehow a train ride from Texas to Tennessee apparently takes two days. And they have bizarre gaps in certain parts of the countries, like how Memphis has the only Amtrak station in the entire state. Do not want.

I'm talking about in the manner I did, which is packing all of my shit and moving one-way across the country. I wouldn't recommend it for a high school reunion; I'm going to a friend's wedding in Atlanta later this year, and while I briefly considered taking out a 15 or 30 day rail pass and then training it through Chicago and D.C. and down South, then coming back around the country, I don't think I have the time for that since my school starts not much longer afterwards.

However, I am visiting my mom down in San Fran a month or so before that, and I'm definitely Amtrakking it for that- even though it takes 17 hours as opposed to 2 on a plane, it's half the price and I won't have problems with taking my bike onboard.

I'll definitely agree with you that there are some really bizarre gaps in some areas, though- to get to OK City to visit my friend, it's a total dead-end. Which would've sucked if I hadn't driven my car, where I just took I-95, then I-10, then up through Louisiana (I forget which one) then through Dallas, and up to OK City, then I-40 to I-15 to L.A., and then I-5 up here. It would be great if we could have a national rail system anywhere nearly as extensive as our interstate highway.

We did Amtrak from Tennessee to California a few years ago. It took four days and three trains. It was horrible. The bathroom was smaller than the average closet.

“Democrats have a plan to lower gas prices, taking America in a new direction that works for everyone, not just the few[/b]. Our plan would empower the Federal Trade Commission to crack down on price gouging to help bring down skyrocketing gas prices, increase production of alternative fuels, and rescind the billions of dollars in taxpayer subsidies, tax breaks, and royalty relief given to big oil and gas companies.”

Funny, I thing the price of a barrel of oil has doubled in the past two years..and the price of a gallon of gas has almost doubled as well. Good job Nancy! Keep up the good work!

And was the plan actually enacted, or was it blocked by Seante Republicans and the Executive Branch?

That's basically like someone saying they're mad they didn't save on gas after they bought a hybrid when they actually drove around everywhere in their old SUV instead.

"Democrats have a plan to lower gas prices, taking America in a new direction that works for everyone, not just the few[/b]. Our plan would empower the Federal Trade Commission to crack down on price gouging to help bring down skyrocketing gas prices, increase production of alternative fuels, and rescind the billions of dollars in taxpayer subsidies, tax breaks, and royalty relief given to big oil and gas companies."

And was the plan actually enacted, or was it blocked by Seante Republicans and the Executive Branch?

That's basically like someone saying they're mad they didn't save on gas after they bought a hybrid when they actually drove around everywhere in their old SUV instead.

04/22/08 House Republican leaders on Tuesday challenged Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) to release a plan to lower gas prices that they say Democrats touted when they were in the minority.

“Two years ago this week, you stated that House Democrats had a ‘commonsense plan’ to ‘lower gas prices,’ ” the letter said. “In light of the skyrocketing gasoline prices affecting working families and every sector of our struggling economy, we are writing today to respectfully request that you reveal this ‘commonsense plan’ so we can begin work on responsible solutions to help ease this strain.”

the only people doing the blocking are the Dems themselves.

So House Republican leaders are a credible source on what the Democrats have been doing for the last two years?

Uh no....

There are three things that can be done to fix this problem.

1: Open more refineries so that the supply can meet this "high demand"(that hasn't changed in 8 years) so that it could curb the price per gallon.

2: Gov strip away tax credits/tax cuts/tax breaks on big oil and instead cut the taxes on fuel so that it could be less per gallon.

3: Gov federally regulates the price of gas making a floor/ceiling on prices thus removing gauging being done by big oil/OPEC.

Oh yeah, one more....

4: Hit up Russia with a long term contract to buy from them since they have alot of oil and no real tech of drilling and refining it. Make it like 50 a barrel with a 30 year exclusive lock.

The Governor of Montana says he can pump 40 (or more) billion gallons of oil out of that state and North Dakota. Too bad that's not ANWR or people might care.

1: Open more refineries so that the supply can meet this "high demand"(that hasn't changed in 8 years) so that it could curb the price per gallon.

2: Gov strip away tax credits/tax cuts/tax breaks on big oil and instead cut the taxes on fuel so that it could be less per gallon.

3: Gov federally regulates the price of gas making a floor/ceiling on prices thus removing gauging being done by big oil/OPEC.

1) Who would open more refineries? WHO? Do you want a national refinery company, owned by the government? Because otherwise Big Oil has no interest in making more refining capacity!

2) Where would you get the money for road upkeep?

3) You want to regulate the price of gas? Are you kidding?

As an aside that "oil" from Alberta is tar sands. That shit is so much nastier and more resource intensive than even regular oil. It is not a solution, it is a problem.

The Governor of Montana says he can pump 40 (or more) billion gallons of oil out of that state and North Dakota. Too bad that's not ANWR or people might care.

By that you mean, how much more oil lines they can open from Alberta?

1) Who would open more refineries? WHO? Do you want a national refinery company, owned by the government? Because otherwise Big Oil has no interest in making more refining capacity!

2) Where would you get the money for road upkeep?

3) You want to regulate the price of gas? Are you kidding?

As an aside that "oil" from Alberta is tar sands. That shit is so much nastier and more resource intensive than even regular oil. It is not a solution, it is a problem.

Re:

As a person who works in the Athabasca Oil Sands it is a very dirty and demanding job, and a hell of a lot more expensive to refine.

oil-sands-pic.gif

Precious black gold that costs a lot of money to refine. Though there is more oil up here ( a lot more) than what there was in the Middle East

Guest Tzar Lysergic

How do you get a job like that at an oil well or a mine? What do you do?

So the low end unleaded gas is up to $4.39 right now. Something just seems suspicious, I remember a month or so ago, when prices were approaching $4/gal it seemed like it was taking forever to actually hit that mark, and then as soon as it does hit the mark, it just keeps going up a lot more, almost if the oil companies knows that everyone thinks this is never ending, and that they expect prices to keep going up for the summer, so oil companies are basically just following through on those fears.

Still $3.99 here in Huntington. When oil dropped considerably last week, there was no change. It had record days and a record high, and still no change. We have gone over the $4 mark before (last month), so I have no idea why they are not seizing this opportunity to hike the prices.

How do you get a job like that at an oil well or a mine? What do you do?

What type of work are you looking to do. There are many type of jobs for whatever skill you have, whether it be a welder, carpenter, heavy load lifter, foreman, electrician.

I myself work in a kitchen in a camp up in the oilsands, but experiencing these sites first hand and interacting with other clients from other companies, its a rough job.

Suncor Careers

Syncrude Careers

Imperial Oil Careers

Three major companies right here, plus more. Great pay, plus they fly you home on every turn around.

Republicans block extra taxes on oil companies http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080610/ap_on_go_co/congress_oil_profits

This was expected, but this is the part that bothers me more.....

Separately, Democrats also failed to get Republican support for a proposal to extend tax breaks for wind, solar and other alternative energy development, and for the promotion of energy efficiency and conservation. The tax breaks have either expired or are scheduled to end this year.

The tax provisions were included in a broader $50 billion tax measure blocked by a GOP filibuster threat. A vote to take up the measure was 50-44, short of the 60 votes needed.

The windfall profits bill would have imposed a 25 percent tax on profits over what would be determined "reasonable" when compared to profits several years ago. The oil companies could have avoided the tax if they invested the money in alternative energy projects or refinery expansion. It also would have rescinded oil company tax breaks — worth $17 billion over the next 10 years — with the revenue to be used for tax incentives to producers of wind, solar and other alternative energy sources as well as for energy conservation.

So the oil companies could have avoided most of the taxes ANYWAY, and the republicans refuse to give any companies investing in alternative sources of fuel a tax break. And people wonder why things aren't being accomplished. It's almost as if our government has rigged the process and vowed to keep business as usual going.

What bothers me is that Reid didn't press the issue and force the Republicans to actively filibuster the issue.

This is part of the growing movement to change this country's energy policy, and it's being weakened by people beholden to the old system. At least force them to actively and obviously go out there and say, "we prefer this problem to any future solutions."

The problem with all of the focus on oil and energy is that a great deal of the price rise is really artificial. Speculators are driving up the price, and what can you really do to legislate on that?

Speculators are "driving up the price" because they expect supply to drop and demand to increase.

They're not doing it to be mean...

New Jersey May Drop Ban on Self-Service Gas Stations

I got a couple of old timey gas stations and Indian reservations around that still have attendents pump gas for you, but to have a whole state that's not self serve blows my mind. Anyone from Jersey or Oregon want to explain the justifaction. Do they think pepole are too stupid to pump their own gas? The only thing that makes sense to me is that they want to save a few jobs.