TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE News and Notes - 9/11

For Raw on 8/28 on Sci-Fi, DX vs. Regal. Finlay and Kennedy lost about 123,000 viewers, making it the most unsuccessful TV main event of the year.

For Smackdown on 8/25, the Vickie Guerrero angle lost 140,000, which is a surprise because, even though the angle is terrible, the Mexican family soap operas have always done well. London and Kendrick vs. James and Stevens gained 659,000 viewers, while the following women’s segment, with Marshall vs. Hall, lost 434,000 viewers.

In regards to Kurt Angle, Dave said that even though Kurt appears down and out right now, historically, people who are driven enough and talented enough to be the best in their profession can come back when it physically looks impossible.

If Angle does take the long time off and acknowledges that he can’t take bumps without pain medication, the right move is to not take bumps and, presumably, walk away.

Says you can’t count Angle out, even if the sane reaction is to hope he doesn’t wrestle again.

John Laurinaitis is now getting advice from different writers over the house show booking, which he handles.

There is increased talk about Batista’s star fading. The reason Kennedy got the US title is because there were concerns about Batista losing steam and it is felt that Finlay is best on Smackdown at getting someone over, so while Kennedy and Lashley feud over the US title, Finlay works with Batista to try and get him back over. The official view internally is that this proves how great Triple H is because he got Batista over, whereas, and Dave has espoused this part from day one, there is also the thinking that what kept Batista hot was playing off of Triple H and Flair and without them he’s floundering. That said, since coming back from the injury Batista has seemed slower, more tentative and less confident.

Unforgiven on 9/17 has sold out to the tune of 14,600 tickets.

Cryme Tyme are Shad Gaspard and Devon Driscoll, from OVW. Gaspard has the WWE look and does good interviews, but has never gotten it in the ring and has had some terrible matches in OVW.

On JBL ripping into Matt Hardy in commentary on the 9/1 Smackdown, Dave points out that whenever something happens like the Hardy deal and it goes public, long after the person has publicly stopped talking about it, it’s the company that can’t let it go.

Dave said that bringing up Cena might be coming to Smackdown, which isn’t going to happen unless plans change as Cena is getting the belt back at Unforgiven, only makes Smackdown look more like the ‘B’ show.

Called Booker’s role campy and said while he doesn’t mind how overdone it is, when Booker does the British accent he calls it the antithesis of a money drawing main eventer.

Referred to the DX angle on Raw where Vince repeatedly hit Triple H with the pipe before Triple H juiced, and said it was funny because if a young guy did that the agents would tell him that you only do the one shot before juicing, and Dave mentioned it because that exact thing happened when a young guy did the same thing.

The Mexico tour has changed yet again. After being pressured into adding Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero, Flair, Wilson, Harry Smith and Pradius were all taken off the shows. The line up for all four cities, and it’s a bad idea to repeat the same line up like this, is now Edge vs. Cena for the title in a streetfight, DX vs. Cade and Murdoch (Flair will sub if either Shawn or Hunter don’t make it), Mysterio vs. Guerrero, Kane vs. Umaga, Carlito vs. Orton, Nitro vs. Hardy for the IC Title, SS vs. Highlanders for the tag titles, Lita vs. James for the Women’s title, and Benjamin vs. Venis.

Rick Martel was offered an agents job but turned it down.

Wrestling DVD sales for 8/13 to 8/19 saw WM 22 at #1, TNA Lockdown at #2 and Vengeance (DX vs. SS) at #3. Wrestlemania 21 was at #9, and is now in its 66th straight week in the top 20.

John Cena will in the new season of Punk’d.

One of the Deep South wrestlers wrote to John Laurinaitis to complain about Bill DeMott being abusive in training. Laurinaitis told the guy he’d come down to Deep South to sort it out but when he got there, Laurinaitis told everyone that anyone who didn’t like it there could leave.

At the ECW house show in Bethlehem, PA, Test was serenaded with chants of, “Shoot ‘em up Test, shoot ‘em up”, as well as other steroid chants.

Called Booker’s role campy and said while he doesn’t mind how overdone it is, when Booker does the British accent he calls it the antithesis of a money drawing main eventer.

The guy's getting heat from the marks for it, and its no more ridiculous than some other arrogant delusional heel rantings we've seen over the years.

Wrestling DVD sales for 8/13 to 8/19 saw WM 22 at #1, TNA Lockdown at #2 and Vengeance (DX vs. SS) at #3. Wrestlemania 21 was at #9, and is now in its 66th straight week in the top 20.

This makes me happy.

One of the Deep South wrestlers wrote to John Laurinaitis to complain about Bill DeMott being abusive in training. Laurinaitis told the guy he’d come down to Deep South to sort it out but when he got there, Laurinaitis told everyone that anyone who didn’t like it there could leave.

And this makes me laugh at Johnny Ace's complete lack of ability to rationalize with the young'uns. Instead of explaining how DeMott always worked a stiffer style than most others, and since the fans are starting to demand a more stiff style as being a reason, he just says "love it or leave it." I'm not defending DeMott, I remember reading he's a huge prick to younger talent, but still: the trainers are there to train and humble younger talent.

Whether or not LockDown is #2 because the section of the fanbase purchasing DVDs is small enough that the likelihood of them being TNA fans as well doesn't matter to me, really. The fact that a TNA DVD beat out ANY WWE DVD makes me smile...especially considering the DVD was of an event 6 months old and it beat out a 2-month (if even) old WWE event.

The guy's getting heat from the marks for it, and its no more ridiculous than some other arrogant delusional heel rantings we've seen over the years.

I wouldn't disagree but I think Dave's point is that the world champion shouldn't be a comedy figure.

This makes me happy.

And this makes me laugh at Johnny Ace's complete lack of ability to rationalize with the young'uns. Instead of explaining how DeMott always worked a stiffer style than most others, and since the fans are starting to demand a more stiff style as being a reason, he just says "love it or leave it." I'm not defending DeMott, I remember reading he's a huge prick to younger talent, but still: the trainers are there to train and humble younger talent.

See what I want to know is if DeMott is actually stiffing the rookies or if he's being snug with them? If he's just being snug (which is close to being stiff but not so much), then they should stop bitching about it. If he's just stiffing the hell out of them, then he's a prick.

I wouldn't disagree but I think Dave's point is that the world champion shouldn't be a comedy figure.

What about John Cena? He's not a complete comedy figure but he looks and acts like on. Of course Meltzer hates booker, he has the sense of humor of a prune. Booker is the best thing smackdown has and if the dumbass marks can't realize that, screw them.

Dave said that bringing up Cena might be coming to Smackdown, which isn’t going to happen unless plans change as Cena is getting the belt back at Unforgiven,

God damn it.

The official view internally is that this proves how great Triple H is because he got Batista over, whereas, and Dave has espoused this part from day one, there is also the thinking that what kept Batista hot was playing off of Triple H and Flair and without them he’s floundering. That said, since coming back from the injury Batista has seemed slower, more tentative and less confident.

He did just fine with Eddy Guerrero last fall. The latter is the bigger concern here. Batista not only had his momentum stopped with the injury, but he doesn't seem to be the same guy he was before. Kind of like HHH in 2002.

King Booker is the best thing happening on Smackdown. The problem is that he doesn't have a good face opponent to play off of.

There is increased talk about Batista’s star fading. The reason Kennedy got the US title is because there were concerns about Batista losing steam and it is felt that Finlay is best on Smackdown at getting someone over, so while Kennedy and Lashley feud over the US title, Finlay works with Batista to try and get him back over. The official view internally is that this proves how great Triple H is because he got Batista over, whereas, and Dave has espoused this part from day one, there is also the thinking that what kept Batista hot was playing off of Triple H and Flair and without them he’s floundering. That said, since coming back from the injury Batista has seemed slower, more tentative and less confident.

Ooh, I see Meltzer's been using Thesaurus.com lately.

What is the point of putting the title back on Cena? I'm guessing it is this stupid shit of putting it back on him due to The Marine coming out, but why does that mean the movie will make more money? The stupidest aspect is that it looks like they are going with Batista vs. Finlay on SD, so what exactly is Booker going to do? Bringing Cena over to SD at least gives Booker a new guy to feud with.

Either way I expect Edge to get the belt back once The Marine fades away. Cause lord knows HHH will want it back at some point, and Edge is the only logical job boy.

Guest bobrock29
The stupidest aspect is that it looks like they are going with Batista vs. Finlay on SD, so what exactly is Booker going to do? Bringing Cena over to SD at least gives Booker a new guy to feud with.

I would guess Booker either feuds with Kennedy or Beniot when he returns.

The stupidest aspect is that it looks like they are going with Batista vs. Finlay on SD, so what exactly is Booker going to do? Bringing Cena over to SD at least gives Booker a new guy to feud with.

I would guess Booker either feuds with Kennedy or Beniot when he returns.

oh please god not again

Guest Human Highlight Reel

Yeah, who wants to see two over characters and great workers feud over the top title?

Yeah, who wants to see two over characters and great workers feud over the top title?

Booker isn't a great worker no more. He's decent and capable of a good match from time to time, but he's not the wrestler he use to be years ago. Not nearly as athletic. But I'm sure him and Benoit could put on some good matches, their match at No Way Out this year was pretty damn good.

I think a Booker/Benoit program is a perfect filler program, or they could even surprise us and have Benoit get the belt if they still don't have confidence in Batista.

The idea of Cena winning the title is just stupid, unless they're gonna get ballsy and try a double turn.

Finlay works with Batista to try and get him back over. The official view internally is that this proves how great Triple H is because he got Batista over, whereas, and Dave has espoused this part from day one, there is also the thinking that what kept Batista hot was playing off of Triple H and Flair and without them he’s floundering.

Awesome. Management is comparing Finlay to HHH. He's totally the WWE MVP of 2006.

Finlay did wonders in getting Lashley over, so this doesn't suprise me.

Yeah he did, but Booker T played just as big if not more, in getting Lashley over.

Dave said that bringing up Cena might be coming to Smackdown, which isn’t going to happen unless plans change as Cena is getting the belt back at Unforgiven,

God damn it.

Wasn't the plan for Cena to take the belt back in Boston at SummerSlam? All logic says that with Smackdown flagshipping on the new CW network, bringing Cena over would be a huge ratings pop; keep him off the air for a month as he "prepares to return" and then the debut of Smackdown on CW brings John Cena's return to action.

I think Flair probably helped Batista along a lot too, by pretending to be his friend and backstabbing him.

Also, another reason Batista got way over in that feud is because it wasn't your typical 90's style feud where the Cool Heel kept one-upping the face. Batista was always outsmarting Triple H in the backstage segments.

A Top Guy putting over a younger talent is not some hard special task, however the top guy has to be willing and Triple H seems to be willing only if it is someone he personally hand picks, and even then he fucks them over eventually, like shipping Batista to Smackdown and killing any heat Orton had.

God damn it.

Yeah, I could have used some spoiler tags on this one. I kinda got the sense that Cena was winning, but there was enough doubt that I probably would have gone to the sports bar and watched Unforgiven if I hadn't seen this. Now, it probably won't be worth it to me.

God damn it.

Yeah, I could have used some spoiler tags on this one. I kinda got the sense that Cena was winning, but there was enough doubt that I probably would have gone to the sports bar and watched Unforgiven if I hadn't seen this. Now, it probably won't be worth it to me.

Don't you realize that this is the WWE? Plans will probably change a dozen times before the event actually happens. It also seems that more often than not the WWE talks themselves out of their own long-term plans. I'd say it's even money that Edge retains.

i think Booker doesnt give a crap about makin Dave look that great in the ring and the rest of the roster isnt too keen on him either.

Finlay is an ok fit but i dont think they buy him as a legitimate threat to anyone as a heel. And of course Finlay is the biggest reason for the bad Raw rating.

Im surprised they havent tried to redo the Eddie/Batista feud wih Rey.

Kendrick and London are HUGE draws. That's why they're featured all over Smackdown and on the Smackdown Rebound.

Is anyone really a fan of Finlay as a worker? He seems to criticize alot, even good workers but you never hear about what he says about the bad ones who are moved up. But if a new guy was brought up and wrestled exactly like him I can picture Laurinatis and others wanting to get rid of him, depending on his height and build of course.

Guest Cannonball K

Finaly is a world class worker, and anyone who can't see that should probably gouge their own eyes out, or start watching extreme paintball or something

Booker T's only as good as the people you put him against. He steps it up when he's in there with Benoit and Rey. He just seems not to care while in there with Batista or Cena. I'm surprised he had decent/good matches with Lashley.

God damn it.

God damn it indeed. I wish WWE creative could just resist the insatiable urge they seem to have for cutting people's legs out from underneath them.

Is there a single person who's actually gone over in their home town this year? Rey, Mickie, Lawler, Batista, Cena all come to mind as having lost and I can't remember a single person who has won. Pretty sure I even read that somebody in ECW jobbed at a house show in their home town.