TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

Currently downloading an update to the Wii Shop. I think it's the News Channel.

EDIT: News is up, I have to dick around with the user agreement again I think.

EDIT: Once you get that out of the way, it takes only a few minutes to download. There are sections for the following- National News, International News, Sports, Arts/Entertainment, Business, Science/Health, and Technology. There's also a slide show option where it scrolls through stories and you hit A to read them.

Initial Verdict: Awesome. Awesome to the MAX.

Wow! I just downloaded it too, and I found some cool options. When you click on a story, it'll show the globe on the side showing where this story is from. If you click on that part, it takes you to the weather globe, but this time it's covered with news stories from various parts of the world stacked up like sheets of paper. I also found out if you hold down the 1 button on your wiimote while reading a story, you can actually highlight parts in red, I assume to help point out things to others?

All in all, very cool. I'm gonna have fun playing around with this for awhile.

Guest Princess Leena

Yes, this news channel thing is nice. Well made, tons of stories and surprisingly useful. I'll check it out more later.

Negative though: No news about the Aussie Open. :(

More News controls:

In Slide Show mode, 1 speeds it up and 2 slows it down (I might have that backwards).

+ and - make the text larger and smaller. It doesn't zoom in, it just adjusts the text size.

And depending on what you're doing, the D-Pad mostly works as navigational buttons.

The News Channel really delivered. SO MANY news stories. I can actually see myself using this alot more than the Forecast Channel.

Guest Princess Leena

Your PC will always be better.

These are just nice features that you can play on your TV.

Beyond Oasis is awesome. If Sega had played its cards right they could have made that series its answer to Zelda but I suppose it wasn't meant to be. Not that that's even on the top 300 stupidest things they've done. I'm sorry, I'm on a real Sega kick lately. I don't know why. I've always been a lifelong Nintendo fan. But man, if any company could be considered the WCW of gaming it's Sega. They had everything and ruined it through monumental stupidity. And the worst part about them now is that they're not even a really good game publisher anymore. Look at their releases during the Dreamcast era: Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio, Samba de Amigo, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, the 2K sports games, etc. (Granted I haven't played all those games I've listed but I'll trust in the consensus opinion of reviewers that they were all real good.) Now look at Sega. They suck! They are a totally lackluster publisher and they can't even get their established franchises (such as Sonic and Phantasy Star) right anymore. What a waste.

P.S. I am still holding out for the TurboGrafx's Neutopia on the VC. That would be my first online purchase for the system.

I've made that point about Beyond Oasis in the past. What's remarkable about it isn't just that it's a good Zelda clone, but it is still so polished. Crusader of Centy was a flat-out, blatant Zelda clone, and it lacked really any identity of its own.

Beyond Oasis, OTOH, had fantastic graphics, gorgeous animation, well-designed dungeons, and it had a darker tone than any Zelda at the time. Sega of America had a retarded policy of the time of pushing a bunch of crappy licensed games at the time, while original IPs and *any* RPG would be lucky to get a print ad.

However, Beyond Oasis has some flawed control. Despite being out long after the 6-button came out, the control was CRAMMED into 3 buttons. So you have silliness like jump and duck being controlled by a single button (tapping results in jump, holding results in a duck). It's very awkward.

"But man, if any company could be considered the WCW of gaming it's Sega. They had everything and ruined it through monumental stupidity."

Agreed.

The reason I'm a big Nintendo fan--I used to be a huge Sega fan first.

"P.S. I am still holding out for the TurboGrafx's Neutopia on the VC. That would be my first online purchase for the system."

Isn't it kind of redundant, with 2 classic *real* Zelda games already on there?

It's very tragic; I still play my Dreamcast regularly. The worst part was, Sega really got it's act together in terms of games for the release of the Dreamcast, and yet that is the system that finished them off. At least if it had been a really awful system with no good games it would be more understandable (cough*segacd*cough).

I do have high hopes for Sonic and The Secret Rings though, it seems like it might be the Sonic game to play considering how bad the 360/PS3 version is, since they've ditched the free-roaming adventure aspect and brought it back to being all about insane speed.

Guest Princess Leena

Using the pointer really sucks batteries dry...

Went through rechargeables in 3 days, and 2 bars down on the given batteries.

I feel bad for people who will only buy alkaline because the instructions say to...

How do you turn the speaker volume down on the controller? I tried hitting the + and - buttons on the controller and they didn't work.

Guest Smues
Press the "Home" button, select your remote and there will be the options attached to it.

Guest Princess Leena
Turn the speaker off and it does wonders for battery life. Turning the rumble off is even better, but the rumble actually has some use to it so its not worth turning off.

Agreed about the volume... I didn't figure out how to turn the volume down for the few days. It gets annoying.

Guest Smues

According to gamepro.com Mario Kart 64, Contra 3: The Alien Wars, Bonzana bros, and Comix Zone all came out for VC today. I knew Mario Kart 64 was due out, but Contra too? I am SO there once I get home.

Guest Princess Leena

Yes, those are the games.

I'm thinking about getting Mario Kart...

I bought Mario Kart, I'm sure I've played it before, but it's been a while.

I think I like Crash Team Racing more for cart racing games of the same era, even though it's been a long time since I've played that.

I could swear an ad during Raw advertised "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, only for Wii". This of course would totally be false advertising.

Guest Princess Leena

Neil Thompson, an executive with Xbox, said:

"at a product comparison level [Wii is] not competing with us at all. It's an innovative, low-definition product... People will make a clear decision as to whether they want that sort of product -- a kids toy -- or they want high-definition gaming and entertainment and all that it brings.."

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/745/745321p1.html

Ah, the first step when the big guy knows the little guy is kicking his tush. Acknowledge them by insulting them.