TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

Not that this will be too exciting to anyone, but I bit the bullet and went the Ebay route to get a Wii. Got Wii Play and Super Mario Galaxy with it. The wife should be happy.

get Warioware if you'd like a nice multi-player game, Zack & Wiki if you'd like a great puzzle game, and Metroid if you'd like a great adventure/FPS.

< / wiicrazy >

edit: MrRant... do so NOW! Not that I can say I've beat it cuz I have not (damn Galaxy!) - but still. :)

It's sitting by the Wii as we speak. Has been for a month.

Sounds like a newer PowerPad? That was basically a big failure, although I guess Dance Dance Revolution has proved there's money to be made on that sort of thing.

I dunno, I can't see the majorty of fat gamers being into exercise to begin with anyway..

I thought the board would be open to use for other games besides the "wii fit" software bundled with it.

Some skiing game is using it.

Sounds like a newer PowerPad? That was basically a big failure, although I guess Dance Dance Revolution has proved there's money to be made on that sort of thing.

Actually it's a lot more like this.

Remember the countless comparisons between power glove and wiimote?

I await the Wii-Force next.

Not that this will be too exciting to anyone, but I bit the bullet and went the Ebay route to get a Wii. Got Wii Play and Super Mario Galaxy with it. The wife should be happy.

How much did you spend? My sis and I are looking to split the costs on a Wii. She approached me about it the other day and they're obviously nowhere to be found. I should have bought a Wii last month when the Best Buy near my school had about 4 or 5 on display. I don't really trust ebay, but if I can get one at a similar price to the official MSRP, or a little extra if it comes with games then I'm all for it.

You need an ethernet-to-usb adapter. I got one off Nintendo's web site.

I found a few on monoprice.com for approx $8....are they more expensive on nintendo's website?

Since I have a PS3 as well I mine as well invest in a wireless router...it will save the pain of running another long cable.

You need an ethernet-to-usb adapter. I got one off Nintendo's web site.

I found a few on monoprice.com for approx $8....are they more expensive on nintendo's website?

Since I have a PS3 as well I mine as well invest in a wireless router...it will save the pain of running another long cable.

Bestbuy and other retail stores are selling them as well, but I have no clue how much they're going for.

Mike is your modem by your computer? I'm assuming your going to put your Wii in the living room, do you have a hole in your wall to run the cable or are you giong to run the cord against the kitchen wall, around the corner, and to the Wii? Eh I suggest just buying a wireless router. I got myself a Netgear 54 MBPS Wireless Router WGR614, I think it was around 35 bucks or something around that price range.

Anyways, I hooked it into a modem ran a line from the router to the computer and it basically installed itself. The only thing I had to do was input information and I was able to connect my Wii to it with ease and it's worked fine for my Wii ever since.

I would highly recommend a wireless router over the USB to Ethernet adapter, but if you buy the adapter, consider buying first party or officially licensed, because I've heard scattered reports that third-party non licensed solutions tend to fail.

Wireless routers can be cheaper, and have the added benefit of giving you wireless for all your stuff.

How much does wireless internet affect online gaming? I would rather use my PS3's wireless capabilities and eventually when I get a Wii it would be very handy, but I never though wireless would be trustworthy for optimal online gaming.

How much does wireless internet affect online gaming? I would rather use my PS3's wireless capabilities and eventually when I get a Wii it would be very handy, but I never though wireless would be trustworthy for optimal online gaming.

I have an 802.11b router. It's the slowest router you can get. It transfers at 11 megabits per second.

My cable internet transfers at 6 megabits per second, so therefore, I'm not losing any speed.

As far as things such as packet loss, yeah, they can happen. There are tons of safeguards in place, which slow the speed down as a result. Even so, I've played Mario Strikers online and had no troubles whatsoever. Same deal with playing my DS online.

The main weakness of wireless networking is when you want to stream media intra-network. 802.11b is nowhere near the level of speed you need, and for today's hi-def media, 802.11g isn't enough either. 802.11a might be, but a, as a standard, is pretty much dead. 802.11n does have the level of speed you need, but both the PS3 and the Wii max out at G (Wii could actually be b, I'm not sure, but I think it's g, not that the Wii is gonna stream your media anyway (yes, I know there's stuff on the Internet for that you can get to with the Internet channel, but come on))

So if I use the PS3 to watch movies or listen to music that is streaming from my PC wireless would be bad?

Sorry i'm a wireless newb :)

So if I use the PS3 to watch movies or listen to music that is streaming from my PC wireless would be bad?

Sorry i'm a wireless newb :)

Music is fine.

Movies at DVD resolution or below would be fine.

Hope you're enjoying your Wii's, where applicable.

A cavalcade of miscommunication and poor planning has meant that my Wal*Mart miiiiiight get some tomorrow, after a week of us saying "they'll be here". And since we're not doing a lottery or tickets anymore, we've started a pool on how many of tomorrow's hopefuls tell the store's manager "I'm never shopping here again."

I have an 802.11b router. It's the slowest router you can get. It transfers at 11 megabits per second.

My cable internet transfers at 6 megabits per second, so therefore, I'm not losing any speed.

As far as things such as packet loss, yeah, they can happen. There are tons of safeguards in place, which slow the speed down as a result. Even so, I've played Mario Strikers online and had no troubles whatsoever. Same deal with playing my DS online.

The main weakness of wireless networking is when you want to stream media intra-network. 802.11b is nowhere near the level of speed you need, and for today's hi-def media, 802.11g isn't enough either. 802.11a might be, but a, as a standard, is pretty much dead. 802.11n does have the level of speed you need, but both the PS3 and the Wii max out at G (Wii could actually be b, I'm not sure, but I think it's g, not that the Wii is gonna stream your media anyway (yes, I know there's stuff on the Internet for that you can get to with the Internet channel, but come on))

The 11 is theoretical. You're getting less than that. Probably around 5 locally.

The 11 is theoretical. You're getting less than that. Probably around 5 locally.

Possibly. 11 is maximum, but based on signal degredation, it will downgrade to 5.5, then 2, then 1.

Guest False Alarm!

Just a question, but what are some of the standout games for the Wii since its launch? Somehow, I was lucky enough to get one from Game today which included "Mario & Sonic at the Olympics", "Mario Party 8" and "Rayman Raving Rabbids 2". Many thanks.

Well, they aren't any of the games you got!

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Paper Mario

Zelda: Twilight Princess

Metroid Prime 3

Resident Evil 4

Zack and Wiki

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Battalion Wars 2

That's all I know of that was reviewed well.

I'd exercise caution with Super Paper Mario and Fire Emblem--get them if you know you like the series.

However, I've seen a lot of people who played Super Paper Mario give it a lot of hate, but a lot of it seems to center around them being stupid enough to think you actually have to run on that treadmill enough to pay off the money you owe, when the game hints to you aggressively that there's another way. The Sammer fight section is terrible, though--just awful. Still, it's one of the most genuinely funny games I've ever played, nearly as much as Psychonauts. Suffers from being too RPG and not enough Super Mario Bros.

My only problem with Super Paper Mario was that they took out the turn based fighting, which is what I liked about the other two.