TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GODSON

Bound For GLory

But to job a wrestler in his hometown the one night the show is out of Orlando is almost baffling.

But it would be a SWERVE~.

You people do realize that Christian is heading to title matches and that Rhino has no next program set...right?

How would it make sense to have Christian lose heading into the main event?

He needed a strong win.

But to job a wrestler in his hometown the one night the show is out of Orlando is almost baffling.

But it would be a SWERVE~.

You people do realize that Christian is heading to title matches and that Rhino has no next program set...right?

He needed a strong win.

Yes but they didn't follow net booking, so the whole thing was garbage.

I was at the show live, sat in row 9. Bobby Roode does have something, and is enjoyable in the ring. However, I don't know if he really needs a manager. The X-division battle royale was fun at the start, boring in the middle, and finished strong teasing a Shelly/Nash split. The fourway Tag match had a couple fun spots and a strong finish. Monster's Ball I can't really give an opinion on, looked like it had some fun spots judging by Jake Roberts expressions. However, everyone was standing in front of us, which made it hard to see much of anything. They did use the screens at points during the night but....didn't use them like they should.

I'll skip to the Cage/Rhino street fight, as it was then me and my friends went to the top of the arena in the nose bleeds so we could see the ring clearly for the main events. I loved the streetfight and the LAX/Staniels cage match. There was a sick cop killer at the end of that cage match.

The main event though. I know some people like to give Jarrett shit, and say he has X-Pac heat. But there was only one small smarky section in the building and it was coming from the back of the building. The rest of the crowd was booing/cheering his antics out of respect. The pop of the night originally belonged to Angle during his two entrances, Sting's entrance rivaled that. The match was more of an old school wrestling match. Yes there were a few...timing issues, but the match never really hurt because of them. Atleast not live. The crowd erupted at Sting's final comeback after no selling the guitar shot, and pretty much stayed that way until I left six minutes later. Biggest pop I've ever heard live, and one of the better matches I've seen after being to 2 wcw shows, 5 roh shows, and now 1 TNA.

Sorry if the review is had to read, just wanted to get it typed up now while it's fresh in my brain.

Is it me, or does crowd look not too fussed in that pic where Sting has the belt?

Believe me, he made sure each side of the crowd became fussed before they left if they weren't already. I'll admit being a Sting mark, but he really does have a charisma that just gets the crowd cheering for him without having to kill himself.

I would say Styles and Daniels will be moving up to the Main Event soon, at least soon after Joe wins the title. Perhaps a heel turn by one of them due to a lack of Main Event heels.

He needed a strong win.

Not only all that, but also Christian gave Rhino PLENTY of offense. Just about all the match's big spots were Rhino killing Christian (the Zamboni and the piledriver through the table came to mind). Rhino also kicked out of Christian's finisher twice. The finish plays into the storyline of Rhino being tougher than smart, since Christian only beat him by taking advantage of an injury that "should have kept him out of the match" in storyline terms. The way they did it set Christian up to challenge Sting for the title next month and Cornette can force Rhino to take some time off to heal up. Then, either he beats Christian on the primetime debut (which I wouldn't do) or he shows up during the Christian/Sting match and stops Christian from cheating to win the belt (which I would do). After that, on the next PPV, when Rhino's "fully healed" from the concussion Christian gave him, Christian eats a Gore.

IMO, the booking makes perfect sense and doesn't damage Rhino at all. I think if you guys look past "OMG, Rhino lost in DETROIT." you'll remember they have a PPV next month with a main event feud that's been on the back burner for two months. Christian NEEDS to be strong going into that match or the feud doesn't work, despite the Hard Justice back-story.

Is it me, or does crowd look not too fussed in that pic where Sting has the belt?

Believe me, he made sure each side of the crowd became fussed before they left if they weren't already. I'll admit being a Sting mark, but he really does have a charisma that just gets the crowd cheering for him without having to kill himself.

Fussed?

Just watched the PPV and I gotta say there's not enough buzz on Senshi vs. Sabin...one hell of a match.

Between that, the cage match and the fun Battle Royal...I'd say this PPV is worth catching.

Fussed?

Sorry was that too british? It means not arsed. Bit more of a polite way you could say.

In regards to Bobby Roode...the guy is crap. I think some of it is that he flat out does not fit the TNA roster in any way, shape, or form. Is he a well known hasbeen from WWE or WCW? Is he a homegrown dynamo that is generating huge buzz? An ultra talented X division guy? He's not any of those things. He seems honestly like the sort of guy who works down here in OVW and then gets brought up to Smackdown and feuds with Sylvan.

I enjoyed the 8 Mile match. I don't think the crowd really gave a shit about Rhino losing in Detroit because it seemed like half the crowd were Canadians who came across the border. And let's face it, Rhino trying to play the sympathetic face causes cognitive dissonance.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
- Dave Meltzer is reporting that Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe is currently scheduled headline the November 19th Genesis PPV.

- Bound for Glory was a near sell out last night in Plymouth, Michigan. I only saw a few empty seats in the back row of the floor seats across from the entrance way. The $20 bowl seats were sold out, so alot of fans were standing up in the concourse watching the event.

- Vince Russo was standing in one on the penalty boxes over near the announce table watching the entire event.

- Local Michigan worker CK3 could also be seen watching the event with Russo on different occasions during the show.

- Two of the security guards that broke up the Joe/Angle brawl were local Michigan workers N8 Matson, and Eddie Venom.

- Kurt Angle's first ever TNA t-shirt was on sale Saturday at the Fan Fest. The shirt features Angle's face on the front while the back features the words "It's Real....It's Damn Real". The shirt was selling very well.

- Other new merchandise included a grey long sleeve TNA shirt, a new Christopher Daniels t-shirt, a Rhino hoodie, the TNA 3rd Degree Burns CD, and the X Division Volume 2 DVD.

- TNA has put up several videos from the Fan Fest on TNAwrestling.com.

- LAX vs The Naturals for the NWA Tag Team Titles has been announced for this Thursday's edition of iMPACT! which will be taped tomorrow night at Universal Studios in Orlando, FL.

LAX vs The Naturals for the NWA Tag Team Titles has been announced for this Thursday's edition of iMPACT! which will be taped tomorrow night at Universal Studios in Orlando, FL.

Are the Naturals gonna get killed or what? They eat 3D at the PPV and then the next show, you know they're taking the Gringo Killa and/or Border Toss. I gotta say though, I thought they'd save that match for the primetime debut. When Tenay said during the intros for the 4way that the Naturals title shot was "imminent," I immediately thought that it wasn't a PPV level match, since LAX is clearly going heel on heel with AMW, but it would be a good excuse to have a title match on the big TV show. Guess I was wrong...

BTW, here's Mike Johnson's take on the show, most of which I agree with:

TNA put on a really good show last night with Bound for Glory. I thought it was easily their best effort in several months and it's easily worth ordering the replay in my opinion.

The best matches of the show were easily the Six Sides of Steel and the X-Division championship matches. The 8 Mile Street Fight was very good. Sting vs. Jarrett was what you would expect. The Joe-Angle confrontation was great.

Underneath, nothing was horrible with it ranging from silly (Young vs. Zbyszko) to OK (Battle Royal) to good (four way tag). I think a lot of today's audience is spoiled by the top to bottom "everything has to be amazing" mentality that pervades a lot of indy companies today, but I had no problem with how the show was laid out and thought everything accomplished what it needed to do.

Sting vs. Jeff Jarrett was good for what it was, but the problem with it was that by the time it got to the ring, everyone knew what the end result would be. At no point did anyone buy that Sting's career was in jeopardy. Jarrett was a coward for the last year but then began to out-wrestle Sting, which seemed to confuse the audience. The addition of Kurt Angle as the enforcer was the best thing to happen to the match because it would have come off really flat otherwise, in my opinion.

From an in-ring standpoint, they told a good story and the crowd absolutely loved Sting no-selling the guitar, which was the perfect exclamation point on the end of Jarrett's reign. I thought TNA did a good job trying to start Jarrett's babyface turn by focusing on him after the match. I don't see Sting as a long-term choice as champion, but it was a nice moment and if it leads to Sting finally working programs with Abyss, Joe, etc. like first discussed when he came to TNA a year ago, this will be a great thing.

The LAX-Daniels/Styles cage match was the perfect meshing of old school brutality, right down to forks and a wire hanger, and the athleticism of today's big high spots, with even Hernandez coming off the cage. LAX is easily the best gimmick of 2006, so I hope TNA recognizes that and pushes it to the moon. They have ready made feuds with AMW and also rematches with Daniels/Styles, plus down the line there's Team 3D. I thought this had everything it needed - blood, great exchanges, good character stuff in Konnan choking out Daniels with the wire hanger from outside the ring where the babyfaces had no hope of stopping him, and awesome high spots. I'd love to see TNA break off from the feud and then come back to it later down the line, because this has been something really special.

Senshi vs. Sabin was the match that TNA desperately needed, both to put an exclamation point back on the X-Division after months of mishandling. This match also finally gave each performer a tremendous match to help them get to the next level. Both goals were succeeded and I hope TNA keeps it up. It was really something to watch the crowd, obviously deflated and tired from the Samoa Joe-Kurt Angle deal, get back into the match as it continued, until they were popping for every near fall.

I also really enjoyed the 8 Mile Street Fight with Rhino vs. Christian. TNA was trying hard to be creative with the decorations and also having them start the match "out on the streets." Rhino came off like a really strong babyface fighting until he had nothing left. The only complaint one could make about the match, which I didn't even think of until watching it a second time today, was the lack of selling, including Cage getting up a minute after a piledriver through a table to the floor, like it was no big thing. Still, the effort was good and I thought both went above and beyond the call of duty here.

The Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle confrontation was awesome, although when you think about it, TNA has yet to explain why Angle even confronted and attacked Joe on Impact yet. If they are smart, they'll have a great back story planned. Still, the Impact angle and last night's pull apart brawl were some of the best things the company has done in awhile. If there is going to truly be a turning point that sends TNA up to the next level, it will be traced down to this angle.

Speaking of Joe, he was the monster of the Monster's Ball last night. While I do think the thumbtacks are overdone by TNA and should be put aside for awhile, I cannot do anything but praise the insanity and the hard work of everyone in the Monster's Ball match. Joe doing the back senton splash to crush Abyss' head into the tacks was nuts. Brother Runt's bumps were insane too. He has absolutely no care for his well being, which frightens me and impresses me all at the same time. Abyss had his usual great showing. A year ago, he and Joe had a brief confrontation on Bound for Glory in the gauntlet for the NWA title shot that was great. This year, it was even better. When they finally do that match, if it is built correctly, it's going to rule. Raven has been someone who has seen the spotlight pass by him of late, but you can see he's been trying to come up with ways to freshen up his look and work. I didn't care for the Jake Roberts bit, but I suppose if you are going to use Roberts, he has to get the DDT in. Still, I thought Joe needed a clean win, not one tainted by the special referee.

The four way tag match was as good as you were going to get in such a short time period. Great stuff by everyone there, even The James Gang. I loved the big sequence where everyone hit big moves one right after the other. You can't go wrong with the Tower of Doom superplex either. It should be interesting to see where they go with Team 3D as the other tag title feuds play out.

The X-Division Battle Royal was fine for what it was, but I could have done without Slick Johnson. I don't get the point of his character at all. I thought Austin Starr looked good. His bit where he teased throwing the midget into the crowd was hysterical. Kevin Nash was funny on commentary, although I can see why some wouldn't like his work. If they were building to a Starr-Alex Shelley deal where Shelley is angry over Nash giving Starr his attention, this was a good first tease. There was some stuff I personally didn't get (A-1 in an X-Division match?) or would have wanted to see but it was TNA's way of getting everyone on the show. It was great to see Petey Williams get a monster pop as well.

Additional Thoughts: The size of the crowd and the level of interest in all the characters made it a really fun PPV. If that wasn't proof TNA needs to take the PPVs on the road several times a year, I don't know what is. They deserve tons of kudos for filling the place up...There were a lot more production problems this time around then in previous PPVs. Thankfully, TNA had replays ready to go to catch the missed spots a few seconds later, but they need to work on tightening up that end of things. If anything, it shows how much great work they do on post-producing Impact...Is it Bobby Roode or Robert Roode, and why doesn't one side know what the other is doing?...Eric Young is awesome at his character. Larry Zbyszko's been fired. See you on Impact in three weeks, Larry!...Lance Hoyt loses his match and is dancing a minute later?...Ron Killings deserved a better slot on the show then a quick rap. That said, he was over bigtime in Detroit....I wanted to see more Christy Hemme...Jeremy Borash's reaction to Jake Roberts was awesome. Borash is really underrated as the backstage announcer....What does it say for Monty Brown's standing with TNA when they run his hometown as their biggest show of the year and he's not mentioned or seen?

How do the winners of the tag tornado match get nothing but the team who lost get a tag title shot?

Didn't The Naturals earn their shot in No Surrender's battle royal?

Then would it not have made sense for them to win the match instead?

Not necessarily. They probably shouldn't have taken the fall, but they earned their shot amidst the intensifying AJ & Daniels/LAX feud and before 3D came back, so it took a backseat for awhile. They'll probably be squashed.

I kinda feel the same as Mike Johnson. Two matches were great, rest of the stuff was very good also. And I thought Bobby Roode looked like a star. Austin Starr, not so.

Fussed?

Sorry was that too british? It means not arsed. Bit more of a polite way you could say.

Excited, perhaps? At least, that's the context I thought you were trying to say it in... Seriously, I know Mike Skinner says you guys invented the language... but you sure can butcher the shit out of it, too.

How do the winners of the tag tornado match get nothing but the team who lost get a tag title shot?

Didn't The Naturals earn their shot in No Surrender's battle royal?

Then would it not have made sense for them to win the match instead?

There's more money in a Team 3D vs LAX feud than there is in a Naturals vs LAX feud. Though AMW might be in line for a feud with LAX. That was being promoted during the ppv.

Then why not beat the James Gang instead? It makes more sense to beat a team who aren't heading into a tag title shot than a team that are. At least give the illusion that the team getting a tag title shot aren't losers.

Then why not beat the James Gang instead? It makes more sense to beat a team who aren't heading into a tag title shot than a team that are. At least give the illusion that the team getting a tag title shot aren't losers.

and your right in that, I actually don't understand why the Naturals were even in the match.

I wonder where the impending (according to Meltzer) union of Jarrett and B.G. is going to leave Kip James. Remember, "King Ass" got his biggest push ever when Russo was booking WWF. This is scary.

I wonder where the impending (according to Meltzer) union of Jarrett and B.G. is going to leave Kip James. Remember, "King Ass" got his biggest push ever when Russo was booking WWF. This is scary.

And it was a push that failed miserably. They've apparently been building tension between The James Gang, so I guess that means either Kip is turning heel or he'll be dragging two guys down instead of one.