TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

Crazy....10 games and 400 bucks for a console is considered a deal. Wow.

Well, since 20 GB is dead that's gotta be equivalent to 200 bucks trade in for 10 games. I'm assuming that's current-gen non-sports titles, but even so that's not too bad. On the typical PS2 game trade in EB/GS usually give you a dollar and a wad of belly button lint.

I haven't seen that deal anywhere... is it only in Canada?

I guess it is. When the American EB Games have deals, I don't see them here, so the opposite must be true.

Crazy....10 games and 400 bucks for a console is considered a deal. Wow.

The PS3 costs $700 in Canada, so saving $300 is quite a deal. Especially considering I wouldn't get even close to $30 for most of the games I'll be trading in. Also, eligible games = 6th gen consoles minus Dreamcast, and 7th gen handhelds/consoles. Considering I have a modded Wii and PS2 and XBox 360, it wasn't a tough decision to trade in 10 games.

Do PS2 controllers work with the PS3? Or is it wireless only?

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/28/uk-paper...-god-of-war-ii/

Elaborate farce? Brilliant marketing?

It doesn't really matter if it's fake or not, this will come back to bite Sony in the BUTT big time. Like, PETA burns down their headquarters big time. Also, it's just plain wrong and sick, even to just joke about. It's like something Acclaim would do in their dying days.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/28/uk-paper...-god-of-war-ii/

Elaborate farce? Brilliant marketing?

It doesn't really matter if it's fake or not, this will come back to bite Sony in the BUTT big time. Like, PETA burns down their headquarters big time. Also, it's just plain wrong and sick, even to just joke about. It's like something Acclaim would do in their dying days.

Ah, yes.

That's mentioned in the link I posted. Acclaim always strived to suck in new and innovative ways. Not content to just pay for licenses to make crap games off of, they actually bought a 4th rate comic publishing company so they could make crappy games off of them.

Well so much for that. They're incredibly anal about which games they take. I thought they'd basically take anything other than sports games or other games that had an 'updated' version (think VF4 to VF4 Evo), but no. They wouldn't take the Tenchu PS2 game, GTA VC, Baten Kaitos, Ace Combat 4, Mega Man Anniversary Collection or X-Men Legends. Essentially I needed to trade in fairly new games that would quite possibly equal or even exceed $300 if I sold them individually.

Go figure. The rule of thumb is to expect next to nothing and always check to see what the going secondary market price is for the games. However, for an offer like that, it's complete and utter bull to do that.

They also put some of the better trade in values on their site, too.

Guest Queen Leelee
Well so much for that. They're incredibly anal about which games they take.

Well, that was a given. EB/Gamestop killed all their decent trade in deals many years ago.

The only reason I bother with them anymore is the occasional B2G1 free deals, and finding some odd used games.

This is the most offensive marketing ploy I've ever heard of.

I don't think it's more offensive than Acclaim encouraging people to drive unsafely by offering to pay their speeding tickets to promote Burnout 2. At least with the Shadowman thing the people are ALREADY dead.

It listed the systems that were eligible and said "some titles may be excluded". Yea, "some" alright.

What games did they want?

They used an actual decapitated goat. They didn't do it themselves but nonetheless this is gonna get them bad press.

It listed the systems that were eligible and said "some titles may be excluded". Yea, "some" alright.

What games did they want?

Of the ten games, they would take Zelda TP, Super Swing Golf, Call of Duty 3 and.. Megaman X Command Mission. Given the last title, it almost seemed kind of arbitrary.

A buddy of mine at works wants to sell off his 60 GB PS3 with 3 games (Resistence being one, I forget the other 2) for $700 or so Canadian. He was thinking of doing a 30 ticket raffle for $25 a ticket, with the gimmick being you have 1 in 30 odds to win so it's not a terrible bet. Not a lot of positive response so far, though.

Guest Queen Leelee

If there's PS3's easily available at stores, why would they bother with that contest.

$25 can be easily thrown around for gas, gambling, a big meal, etc.

$700 is a rather large purcahse.

It's the readily available PS3 situation that has him thinking he needs to add a gimmick to get his $700 for a used system.

A buddy of mine at works wants to sell off his 60 GB PS3 with 3 games (Resistence being one, I forget the other 2) for $700 or so Canadian. He was thinking of doing a 30 ticket raffle for $25 a ticket, with the gimmick being you have 1 in 30 odds to win so it's not a terrible bet. Not a lot of positive response so far, though.

Uuum, a $25 raffle, to have the opportunity to buy a PS3 with 3 games for $700.00? If that's the deal it's a pretty dumb one and no wonder why noone is showing interest. You have to be kidding me.

Guest Queen Leelee

And it's a used PS3, so it's less than $700. It's a crappy deal. But, whatever.

Uuum, a $25 raffle, to have the opportunity to buy a PS3 with 3 games for $700.00? If that's the deal it's a pretty dumb one and no wonder why noone is showing interest. You have to be kidding me.

A. Not my idea.

B. You win the system, not the chance to buy it (did you think my friend was retarded? 30 x $25 = $750).

He's just placing an ad in the paper to sell it anyway.

I had no idea that the basics of the price of things in Canada was such a difficult concept to follow, either.

This person's price, without the apparently astoundingly difficult to follow "raffle" concept = $700 Canadian Dollars for a barely used (bought in Janaury, user barley used it and played WoW instead) PS3 with a 60GB HD, one controller, and 3 games (Resistance, Blazing Angels, and a 3rd).

The cost of the exact same thing new:

Future Shop says $700 Canadian dollars (noting it used to be $770 but apparently there was a price drop of $70).

Add 15% tax because this is Ontario: $805

3 games @ $70 Canadian dollars each, each with 15% sales tax = $241.50

Total Price: $1046.50

Yeah, real shitty deal there. Glad I came back to have these great conversations.

Guest Queen Leelee

The odds of winning are at $750. It's still only a good deal if someone really wants those 3 games.

Used is used. It affects the price. Significantly with such an expensive piece of equipment.

I understand that it's a used system (and also that 30 x $25 = $750), but the idea is to sell it to someone who wants to use it for playing video games, not consider it an investment property that has suffered from depreciation. It's not like you can buy it for less than that used at the local EB. The $700 price point was something he took out of an ad in the paper for a system with no games.

This is all moot anyway, the sublte point of my original post was basically to say "lol, someone just bought a PS3 and wants to sell it but it's not a big eBay seller because they're available everywhere".

PS3 has pretty much hit the UK without much affect, I have the displeasure for working for GAME and we pretty much sell 1 PS3 every week. The general interest in them didn't hit any highs despite our best efforts, people want games to play on their £425 machine, PS3 in the UK has 8 games, 6 of which you can get/will get on the 360. UK consumers are also retards, they believed you could watch HD-DVDs on the PS3, we've had several customers try to return them as faulty cos they didn't play 'HD-DVD'. We then had to explain the whole VHS/BetaMax type of thing to them, which they said was a 'con'. The UK Models were downgraded to the US ones, in that we're not fully backwards compatiable with PS2 games.

All in all PS3 isn't flopping, but it isn't doing wonders - it was almost as if Sega had released a new console. It's not doing anything apart from just sitting there.

I'm going to hold out till Christmas to judge if Sony have killed themselves with the PS3 - after all March is a bad time to release a console. People are still recovering from Christmas spending, most people still waiting for a Nintendo Wii or bought an Xbox360 instead. Actually, thinking about Christmas coming its going to be

PS3 v XboxElite w/ Halo3.

--

Game in the UK sell pre-owned PS3's for £379. Sell them brand new for $425 standard, sell them with 2 controllers and a game for £475.

Even then they've put die hard FF fans I know off the franchise with FF X-2 and FFXII. Would you buy a PS3 just to play FFXIII knowing how bad FF X-2 and how strangely different FF XII were? In the UK people want football games, which they can't get since Microsoft got 12 month rights on Pro Evo and Co, so most people will have to wait till November to get hold of a football game (by which time the new ones will be out anyway).