TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

$100 price drop is a lot, thats true, but it really doesn't help the ps3 out. It simply goes from hellishly expensive to... *less* hellishly expensive.

Plus, I read over at BlackCats that the new 80gb version "are getting rid of the chip (Emotion Engine Chip) that lets you play PS2 and PSX games, but the 60gb ones will still have them, at least for now." Thats pretty fucked up.

Even if I had enough to get a PS3 right now, I really don't see a need to upgrade. Too many awesome features for the ps2 as it is.

Europe Models are already missing the EmoChip. Instead, we get emulation softwards on the harddrive similar to how the xbox ports xbox games onto the 360. So not only do we pay more, we get less fiddley and fancy named chips inside our console. YAY!

The Emotion Engine has been removed but the Graphics Synthesizer (which is basically the main processor used for PS1 game playing) remains.

So it plays PS1 games pretty well, except for a few low profile ones (Tomba 1 and 2).

Guess what, the Europe model doesn't have the Graphics Synthesizer either :)

I double checked that--and, yes and no.

The current PS3s we have use a combo chip that is EE+GS.

However, Europe model doesn't have a *real* GS, but it does have a GS substitute. So it's still technically HW emulation, but I misunderstood the specifics.

And there's going to be a lot of US PS3 buyers that will misunderstand the specifics, I'm sure.

Well, Sony pretty much took Nintendo and MS to school. Better looking games, better online capabilities and no self-congratulatory bullshit (the PS2 is still the best selling game console of all time remember).

Killzone 2 looked absolutely ridiculous. Not so much the textures and environment (which were impressive), but the character models looked superior to anything I've seen in a video game. Infamous could be a neat game along the lines of a deeper version of something like Crackdown. Echochrome looked like a very unique puzzle game. And it's good that they stressed that GT is the best selling racing game of all time, after some of the nonsense MS was spewing about their racing games being "best sellers". The importance of the GT series had been criminally overlooked lately.

Coming out of these conferences, the Wii looks more and more like a fad that is bound to fall off sometime. Nintendo's conference was just laughably lacking in games, and they instead focused on a gimmick for the greater part of their conference. Their image for not having great 3rd party support and being "anti-hardcore gamer" was actually stressed more than anything. The Xbox 360 looks like it will stay strong, as it has a solid selection of exclusives coming out this year, along with its multi-platform stuff. And the PS3 looks like it's going to start doing well due to the price drop, some nice looking, under the radar games (assuming they pan out well), their huge 2008 exclusives, and how well put together their online system is. I was disappointed in no FFXIII info, but I'd imagine we'll see more out of Square at the Tokyo Game Show.

I guess. Sony "won" E3 (so fucking stupid) by showing games when the other two really didn't. The conferences were terrible this year. All of them.

The PSP Lite looks the same and seems altogether pointless. There were some nice looking trailers, but they don't tell me shit about a game. Killzone looked great, but having played the previous, I don't hold out much hope that the sequel will be anything more than a pretty-looking mediocre shooter. Infamous did look legitimately intriguing and I'd love to see gameplay.

So no "self-congratulatory bullshit" but it's cool that they stressed GT being the best selling racing game ever?

Killzone 2 looked absolutely ridiculous. Not so much the textures and environment (which were impressive), but the character models looked superior to anything I've seen in a video game.

Really? I mean, freakin Army of Two looked better (character model wise) than this. I thought the visual presentation of Killzone was amazing but all in all, the models and environments were pretty weak looking. But that is to be expected from a game not due out until next year.

The best thing going in console games now: Halo 3's lighting, Gears character models and textures, Killzones presentation.

I really don't know how anyone could possibly say Army of Two's characters were even approaching Killzone 2's, if for nothing else than the animation was just much smoother and more realistic. Visually, there isn't much difference I guess. Killzone 2's character faces were incredible, and I didn't really see any in Army of Two (since they wear masks), so can't compare that. But whatever.

Killzone looked great, but having played the previous, I don't hold out much hope that the sequel will be anything more than a pretty-looking mediocre shooter.

Microsoft made a big time franchise out of an average-looking mediocre shooter, so maybe a pretty-looking mediocre shooter would be a step up.

So no "self-congratulatory bullshit" but it's cool that they stressed GT being the best selling racing game ever?

I'll assume you didn't see the presentations. In Sony's case, it was one factually correct sentence preceding a video of the game, in MS and Nintendo's case, it was five or ten minutes devoted to how great the companies are.

oh come on, Halo was way more than average looking when it came out.

And Kill zones 2's character, looking at the trailer again, kinda look like crap actually. Once again, I know they will look better as the game gets closer to launch, but right now, they are pretty ugh.

The animations are great though, as is the overall look, so it will look even better once they up that res on the characters.

And I don't have the numbers on hand, GT hasn't been the best selling racing game in a while now have they? All time maybe, but that would be like Nintendo boasting how they are the greatest selling video game company of all time. So the fuck what. What have you done lately.

inFamous looks great.

Yeah, that did look kickass.

Although if I didn't own Crackdown I think it would have looked alot less kickass.

Gran Turismo 4 (the lowest selling in the series) has outsold every racing game outside of Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64, and it's not even close. Nothing that's been released lately is even in its league, and GT3 and GT1 are the two best selling racing games of all time, in that order. Hence why I think it being overlooked is crazy. At this point, it's probably only behind GTA in terms of important (read; best selling) console game franchises.

inFamous looks great.

Although if I didn't own Crackdown I think it would have looked alot less kickass.

So, IOW, you're more interested because of Crackdown?

Hoping to hear something from RealTime Worlds about the expected sequel...

inFamous seems to have a bit of Psi-Ops in there, too, though.

Just seems odd that Sony seem to be pinning everything on GT. Come November when Fifa and PES is out the sales will sky rocket in the UK, that's all anyone wants in the UK is a football game to play.

inFamous looks great.

So, IOW, you're more interested because of Crackdown?

Hoping to hear something from RealTime Worlds about the expected sequel...

inFamous seems to have a bit of Psi-Ops in there, too, though.

I was thinking that (the psi-ops look) but I couldn't think of the game. And yeah, Playing Crackdown made a darker, more mature sandbox game with a superpowered character sound/look alot more appealing because of how awsome Crackdown is.

I personally don't know what they could do for a sequal that isn't more of the same.

I was thinking that (the psi-ops look) but I couldn't think of the game. And yeah, Playing Crackdown made a darker, more mature sandbox game with a superpowered character sound/look alot more appealing because of how awsome Crackdown is.

I personally don't know what they could do for a sequal that isn't more of the same.

Wider variety of missions, including civilian tasks for hire?

Customizing your supply points, i.e. perhaps picking at least one specific vehicle to start at this point, etc?

Rather than just skins, an agent creation mode? At least with a bunch of different premade parts?

Considering how far the GTA games have gotten with few *major* fundamental changes, I'd say there's plenty of room to add on. It's just that the creators don't want the game to end up too structured and too much of a slave to a storyline, but there's way more potential than just "kill all the bosses, then hunt down orbs."

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/13/sony-swi...-us-after-july/

According to the SCEE president, SCEA is going to stop producing the 60 gig model once their stock is depleted. If it's true, Sony is basically the most idiotic company in the history of the universe. But I'm also kind of skeptical based just on how this guy worded it, and the fact that Europe and Australia are getting new 60 gig bundles with two games and two controllers, so why would they phase out that model in the US? Jesus Christ this guy better be full of shit. If not, this was a worse move than not dropping the price at all. God dammit, Sony.

I would think they are trying to deplete the stock in the European and Austrailian markets.

But I find this hard to believe. no company would be this stupid.

Guest Smues

Well fuck. That's retarded if true, which I doubt it is. But if that is the case I might have to actually get a PS3 soon. I really don't have any interest at the moment, as there just aren't any games that scream BUY ME, and the available PS1 games aren't exciting either. But I want the emotion engine chip thingy madoober.

Gahaha. I bought a PS3 but I'm returning it because after a couple minutes it started making loud, uncommon noise, like a high-pitched shrieking sound you'd hear from a dying DVD-drive. It's not the drive, because nothing is in it, but I'm pretty sure it's the fans. I swear to fuck I have the worst luck with getting lemon electronic equipment. I must say however, a properly working PS3 runs super quiet.

Quiet indeed. Just got my PS3 and making this post with it just for kicks. I love the ability to d/l demos and videos and tomorrow morning I will dive into Oblivion for the weekend :)

Terrible. It wouldn't be so bad if we got the European bundle for $600 (the one with two controllers and two games), but we're not. This is just suicidal and fucking stupid.

I guess it depends on how many 60 gig systems they have already produced. If that supply can hold for quite a while then they can sell those on target with the next price cut for the 80 gig model....or something.

Yeah...pretty fucking stupid.

Well, let's look at the positives:

+ It will help spur on much needed PS3 sales in a period of traditionally slow growth for the market.

....and that's all I got. Well, those few days or so with Sony not saying or doing something really stupid were nice while it lasted. We now return you to your regularly scheduled Microtendo owning.

Good lord that is stupid. Though I may pick one up more or less for a Blu-Ray player that also does games.

But Christ. It's not like the 80 gig will then drop (hopefully it does) but to keep it up at $599 and say "We gave you 20 more GB! Pay more than you did 3 months ago!" isn't going to fly well.

Good lord that is stupid. Though I may pick one up more or less for a Blu-Ray player that also does games.

But Christ. It's not like the 80 gig will then drop (hopefully it does) but to keep it up at $599 and say "We gave you 20 more GB! Pay more than you did 3 months ago!" isn't going to fly well.

Plus the 80 gig is lacking the hardware backwards compatibility, so you're losing out there too.