TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

What is the hard drive used for?

downloadable stuff and saves..

and since I dont have broadband..totally useless for me.

Downloadable movies, too.

Sony is going to be offering "full-sized" games through their download service, they already have PS1 games available, and they eluded to PS2 games being available as well, so hdd space is definitely a big deal for the PS3. With that being said, Sony doesn't use a proprietary hdd like Microsoft does, so you can buy a big one from a computer shop and use it, rather than paying extra for a model with a bigger hdd.

You know you can do the same thing with the 360, right?

What do you call ten more gigabytes of storage capacity per layer? That's about the only meaningful difference, but it's quite significant.

Worthless crap used for nothing. Niether HD-DVD or Blu-Ray come close to filling all that space they have on them. You can fit a Hi def movie on a regular DVD disk but would have room for the programming and menus and extras and stuff. HD-DVD and Blu-ray use the extra space for that and there is a obscene amout of empty space left.

A couple of the guys in development at work told me that they could really do more with HD-DVD programming wise right now for some reason, but Blu-ray was the accepted format simply because that extra space might one day be used. Then they laughed because they know it isn't.

Theres "rumors" going around about GTA 4 and how they may have to use multiple disc's for the 360. Plenty of room on the PS3's Blu Ray Disc though :)

I would be surprised if that happens, but I can see DVD9 being obsolete for big budget games in about a year or two. Devs will just be too hamstrung to fit everything into a 9 GB package, which means they'll have to go multi-disc. Except multi-disc really doesn't work very well for some games (GTA), and it's just an annoyance in general. Microsoft won't be able to change their disc format mid-generation, and HD-DVD will have been dead and buried by then, so it could be a scenario where PS3 games start greatly outdoing 360 games in terms of technology, or the big-budget 360 games will consistently end up going on 2-3 discs. But I also wouldn't be surprised if MS releases a new console much sooner than any company has traditionally done, which would almost certainly be equipped with whatever the disc format standard is at the time.

Guest Smues
Ahh but I'm a curmudgon who doesn't have a slim, and if my non-slim died I'd shop around until I found another non-slim.

Oh? Any concrete reason why? Emotional attachment? You use the hard drive? Prefer to have a built-in fan? Have a flip-top mod for your current OG PS2? You're a gambler? I'm honestly curious.

The curmedgeon part doesn't seem to add up with rushing out to buy a still-obesely-expensive games console for BC that has the same components for BC as the slim you refuse to buy ever. Curmedgeons have no need for Blu-Ray. If you're going to buy another original PS2 anyway (if yours breaks), why is BC such a big factor for you? I assume you still have your Playstation (1) around.

I think there's no chance in hell 60 GB PS3 is going to be some massive hit now because of BC fears. If the mass market wants to play PS2 games, they'll buy a PS2. PS3 isn't at a mass market price; PS2 is.

Mainly the fan, I don't trust the slim one. Plus if I were to ever get the harddrive. It angers me that they re-design their console so that some accesseries don't work on the new model.

As for the PS3, in the future it'll have a game or more that I actually want and would buy the system for just to play (Final fantasy XIII if it ends up a PS3 exclusive, or Suikoden VI, or some such) and at that point I'll switch to using it as my main Playstation system so I can put away the PS2, and I'll want it to be able to play my PS1 and PS2 games. I still have a PS1, but I never use it because I can use my PS2 for everything the PS1 does.

Oh and I could care less about the Blueray drive, I chose HD-DVD.

I would be surprised if that happens, but I can see DVD9 being obsolete for big budget games in about a year or two. Devs will just be too hamstrung to fit everything into a 9 GB package, which means they'll have to go multi-disc. Except multi-disc really doesn't work very well for some games (GTA), and it's just an annoyance in general. Microsoft won't be able to change their disc format mid-generation, and HD-DVD will have been dead and buried by then, so it could be a scenario where PS3 games start greatly outdoing 360 games in terms of technology, or the big-budget 360 games will consistently end up going on 2-3 discs. But I also wouldn't be surprised if MS releases a new console much sooner than any company has traditionally done, which would almost certainly be equipped with whatever the disc format standard is at the time.

No way I see that happening for a long time(as in, not in the generation of games). The only thing that is going to push the DVD9 capacity limit is a game with a SHIT load of FMV, which would eat up quite a bit of space. Model geometry, textures, things of that nature really aren't going to push the capacity limits of today. The PS3 games will probably be able to have a more cinematic feel to them because they are going to have the room to put all that FMV effects types of stuff in there to make it prettier, but when it comes down to gameplay, it shouldn't sway much of anything.

MGS4 looks pretty good, but the only footage that has been shown so far is strictly trailers, and no gameplay. Look at the last trailer posted by gamespot. It's cool and all and the fight scene is rad, but i'm still waiting on gameplay.

The latest trailer was all real time game footage, meaning it used the game engine even if it wasn't gameplay. I'm pretty sure the earlier trailers had actual gameplay footage though, however brief it was.

Disgaea 3 coming to PS3 - http://kotaku.com/gaming/spritey/disgaea-3...-ps3-279111.php Well, there's one of the PS2's great, original RPGs making the jump to the PS3. I wonder what happens to the others, like Shadow Hearts, Suikoden, Tales of, etc.

Eh, the last trailers has snake like moving in a little barrel. that was it. It was only brief shots of gameplay, no lengthy gameplay.

Stop posting stuff I've already posted in an attempt to make people think you're not actually reading my posts, no one is buying it. Internet is not serious business. Thank you.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/07/17/new-ps...macy-announced/

New PS3 game by the developer of Katamari Damacy announced

Posted Jul 17th 2007 8:30AM by Jem Alexander

Filed under: Previews

At the PlayStation Premiere event in Tokyo today Namco Bandai announced a new game that is in development for the PS3. The game, titled Nobi Nobi Boy ("nobi" meaning "to stretch" in Japanese), is the brainchild of Keita Takahashi, creator of Katamari Damacy. While there is no information about the game, there are a few pieces of artwork which can be seen at IGN.

This is great news, as we've only just got over losing Katamari, so knowing that there is another game in the same vein being developed will help us get through these dark days. We're intrigued to find out more about this game and expect more details to become available relatively soon.

I'm interesting in hearing how it will play. For now, all I can thing of is a knee-jerk memory of how Stretch Panic was (not really much of a game), but undoubtedly there'll a lot more to get excited about.

Stop posting stuff I've already posted in an attempt to make people think you're not actually reading my posts, no one is buying it. Internet is not serious business. Thank you.

That's some serious real-talk allegation, my friend.

Accusing the internet of not being serious business... the thought!

Saw the bottom of X Play with the $399 40 GB PS3 with no backwards compatibility rumor.

Id be all for that since I own no Playstation games and dont care about the Hard Drive.

Actually, thats totally a lie. I got Resevoir Dogs 10th Anniversary Edition DVD AND the Resevoir Dogs game for PS2 for $5 on clearance at Wal Mart. I just wanted the DVD though lol, the game supposedly sucked.

Look, don't make me ignore you. Because I'll do it. I'll even make a big show of it in an effort to not lose face, even though I feel like I got thoroughly trounced at my own game. You...you cur!

Look, don't make me ignore you. Because I'll do it. I'll even make a big show of it in an effort to not lose face, even though I feel like I got thoroughly trounced at my own game. You...you cur!

Dude I'm sorry I stated an opinion on the internet contradictory to your own, please don't ignore me! I'll never do it again! That's what makes forums great right, everyone agreeing with each other and having uniformly arranged conversations with where new thought and critical thinking is frowned upon, right?

Also, I still think the PS3 is too much for me right now. But someday.

I don't like your mocking tone, only I may mock. But really, stop taking everything so srsly d00d, or I'll bust you down to sergeant so fast it'll make your head spin. But seriously, I don't want to debate you if you're going to bring up valid points. So really, quit it.

You'll be running out to buy it when SFII HD Remix is out. Mark my words.

I don't like your mocking tone, only I may mock. But really, stop taking everything so srsly d00d, or I'll bust you down to sergeant so fast it'll make your head spin. But seriously, I don't want to debate you if you're going to bring up valid points. So really, quit it.

You'll be running out to buy it when SFII HD Remix is out. Mark my words.

I didn't do it.

While I think SFII HD Remix could turn me from a PS3 Athiest to a PS3 Hooraythiest, isn't it also coming out on the 360? Too bad the Wii you hate so much (yet own) couldn't support it via VC.

Well, fair enough, but we live in a society where people are expected to pay $15 a month for the right to play ONE game online. Though many of those same people seem to view it as a second life and not just a game.

True, but I'm a PC gamer, I don't like the idea of paying to play non-MMO games online. And hey, with the prices in Canada, one year of Xbox Live Gold would make the 60 gig PS3 and the Xbox 360 premium the same price. How can you go wrong with that logic?

sidecar.jpg

Guys, cut that shit out.

You sure got us, telling us to cut it out almost an hour after the fact AND after we moved on form viral Simpsons marketing to actual conversation. Seriously though I don't recall having any beef with you and I'm sure your name pops up in the Office banter, so I'll just ask you what the ratio of the PS3 pricedrop to Schrute bucks is.

You complained about his "late" post that came 48 minutes after the "shit" almost 8 hours after he posted it.