TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

Almost every thread turns into pointless bitching between Venkman/WWM and Andrew. Just stop it.

I apologize for how late this reply is!

This is the only thing I'd like to say on this, but to be fair, it's always been video game related outside of this instance. But then, AndrewTS decided he didn't want people being too SERIOUS~! by criticising his games (while he will gladly bash other games), put me on ignore (or so he claims), and runs a gimmick where he is "ignoring" my posts by hilariously posting the same thing I've posted or by ambiguously replying to my post. It's kind of childish and makes him an easy mark.

Anyway, Castlevania SOTN came out in the PS Store, and I will probably get it as I haven't played it before. I also tried that Dynasty Warriors Gundam demo, and while the layout of the missions is neat, the combat is just button mashing to the extreme. No combo system was apparent, the ranged attack is useless, and then you get a special attack after killing X number of enemies. It's kind of neat seeing all of the Gundam universe characters together though. I'm also very tempted to buy Resistance after trying the demo, because it seemed like a lot of fun. Or rather, the first mission was fun, as it was reminiscent of Call of Duty where you're in the middle of a battlefield. The second mission seemed like typical solo superman FPS gameplay, which I'm not as big a fan of, and certainly wouldn't want to have to play that kind of game with a gamepad. So are the Resistance levels generally more like the "battlefield" style, or the "solo mission" style?

Guest Smues
This is the only thing I'd like to say on this, but to be fair, it's always been video game related outside of this instance. But then, AndrewTS decided he didn't want people being too SERIOUS~! by criticising his games (while he will gladly bash other games), put me on ignore (or so he claims), and runs a gimmick where he is "ignoring" my posts by hilariously posting the same thing I've posted or by ambiguously replying to my post. It's kind of childish and makes him an easy mark.

Anyway, Castlevania SOTN came out in the PS Store, and I will probably get it as I haven't played it before. I also tried that Dynasty Warriors Gundam demo, and while the layout of the missions is neat, the combat is just button mashing to the extreme. No combo system was apparent, the ranged attack is useless, and then you get a special attack after killing X number of enemies. It's kind of neat seeing all of the Gundam universe characters together though. I'm also very tempted to buy Resistance after trying the demo, because it seemed like a lot of fun. Or rather, the first mission was fun, as it was reminiscent of Call of Duty where you're in the middle of a battlefield. The second mission seemed like typical solo superman FPS gameplay, which I'm not as big a fan of, and certainly wouldn't want to have to play that kind of game with a gamepad. So are the Resistance levels generally more like the "battlefield" style, or the "solo mission" style?

I'm 90% sure he put you on his ignore list, which means he doesn't see your posts other than when someone quotes you.

I'm 90% sure he put you on his ignore list, which means he doesn't see your posts other than when someone quotes you.

Yup.

9 posts on one page? That's how I "reposted" something he posted, incidentally. And it sounds like it happened once. Oh no!

But then, AndrewTS decided he didn't want people being too SERIOUS~! by criticising his games (while he will gladly bash other games)

strawman.jpg

I have low tolerance for such a puffed-up, pretentious person (LOOK, I HAVE PHILOSOPHER QUOTES IN MY SIG! I SO SMART HUUUURRR!) who ironically makes personal attacks against people when he argues. Grow up. A garden-variety troll doesn't know better, you have no excuse.

Almost every thread turns into pointless bitching between Venkman/WWM and Andrew. Just stop it.

Absolutely wrong. That's a gross overestimation. However, you might see WWM bitching in a lot of posts I never see. That's really about all he does about anything. Tell WWM to get over it and stop bawling about it. He's so sad I won't play with him anymore he's unable to accept that I don't care about what he has to say. If nobody argues with him on this board he doesn't really feel he has any purpose.

Venk knows him and has been periodically acting as his messenger boy about the matter, and has been quoting his posts. He says he's stopped, though.

I have stopped quoting for the sake of goofing around on a slow forum day, anyway. If I reply to something he said 13 posts up, yeah, I'll probably have to quote it. I also have no idea how I got lumped into "turning almost every thread into a bitch fest" but thankfully Andrew corrected the matter before I could (I wasn't sure I was even going to bother, because I have nothing against treble and didn't want to argue the matter any further and made that more or less clear, but then Ripper stirred it up and I felt the need to justify that... and so on).

WWM: I hope you enjoy SOTN. I haven't played it since 1999 but I recall it being good (I'm not super at those games but a friend of mine seemed to enjoy it). Games that are hyped for a decade before someone finally plays them sometimes build up an amount of hype that can in no way ever be lived up to in the present. I can't begin to express how disappointed I was when I finally played Sonic CD just a few years ago.

Lots and lots of people played SotN. It *was* on the most popular console of its time and it even got a reprinting.

If you want to talk a Castlevania few people played that has a lot of hype around it, look no further than Rondo of Blood.

If the PSP remake reveals the game isn't really all that hot, there's still a portable SotN in the deal.

If you really wanted to play Sonic CD, there were plenty of ways to play it before Gems Collection, though. The PC version, plus you could buy a cheap Sega CD version and emulate the hardware on a PC. Rondo iso and a Magic Engine emulator is a bit tougher.

I have stopped quoting for the sake of goofing around on a slow forum day, anyway. If I reply to something he said 13 posts up, yeah, I'll probably have to quote it. I also have no idea how I got lumped into "turning almost every thread into a bitch fest" but thankfully Andrew corrected the matter before I could (I wasn't sure I was even going to bother, because I have nothing against treble and didn't want to argue the matter any further and made that more or less clear, but then Ripper stirred it up and I felt the need to justify that... and so on).

WWM: I hope you enjoy SOTN. I haven't played it since 1999 but I recall it being good (I'm not super at those games but a friend of mine seemed to enjoy it). Games that are hyped for a decade before someone finally plays them sometimes build up an amount of hype that can in no way ever be lived up to in the present. I can't begin to express how disappointed I was when I finally played Sonic CD just a few years ago.

How dare you quote the post of the person you're replying to. DrVenkman, you are a sketch.

Did you ever play the Disgaea games on PS2? Or are strategy RPGs not your bag? They have plenty anime-esque humour and sexy girls cute characters. And now they're making one for the PS3, and if SF2 HD Remix is any indication of how good sprites can be on these current-gen systems, the game should end up looking amazing. You should check out the first two, if for no other reason than it will give you some coveted internet coolness points, which are roughly equivalent to 1/1000th of a Scrute buck.

Do you recall anything about SOTN's RPG elements? I remember hearing about it and seeing screenshots of a character status screen, but I never really knew how the stats affected your character or whether there were all sorts of different equipment.

Guest Smues

SOTN has a boatload of varied equipment. Some of it is for sale or in fixed locations, and the rest is random drops from monsters. There's a really bad ass sword that usually takes me 30-60 minutes of killing this same monster over and over to get. And that's using luck potions and equiping luck+ gear.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/24/metal-ge...ctably-awesome/ - MGS4 playable demo.

This looks awesome. It seems like they've increased the amount of action in the game, and made the stealth gameplay a whole lot deeper. I wasn't overly excited about the game (well, as much as I should have been) until I saw this demo. But it looks like this should not only be the dramatic conclusion of the narrative (supposedly), but it could end up being the best game in the series.

I was about to link to that demo as well. It seems like you'll have a LOT of freedom to go through the game your way (including playing it as a FPS). That battle in the last third of the clip was intense. I wonder if it'll have a Mercenaries-style "respect" system where if you help out one side their soldiers will just leave you alone if they see you.

The Heavenly Sword demo is comically short, but god damn if the game doesn't look great. There are a ton of different attack patterns, there's a fair bit of strategy and timing on offense and especially defense, and the game just looks like poetry in motion as you play it. If the full game is of decent length, I'm definitely going to pick it up.

Har Har.

Resistance isnt even that good unless you like FPS games. I can't for the life of me get into FPS on console without the mouse/keyboard anyways. I love all the jokes about PS3 having no games. Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden, All sparts games, etc.

I know the shots are taken at PS3 because there arent any good EXCLUSIVE games but that doesnt mean there arent any good games for owners of it to buy.

I am impressed by the Heavenly Sword demo. It is pretty much Goddess of War but it's a good copy and the autoblocking/countering system makes it feel just different enough.

My main concern is that the blocking is very easy to abuse. Even if you're attacked from behind or ganged up on you still autoblock and you can't be hit rolling. Showing you when and how to block with the colors makes it easy to stop in time to block or dodge if it's unblockable. I have beaten the demo with nothing but counters. Against weak enemies you can actually put down the controller and you're invincible. I'm curious to see how it will work with large groups of harder enemies.

I also hate the waggle controls. It's awkward. I have them all switched off.

Even if it ends up being shallow and easy it should at least feel satisfying and look cool. All the cinematic kills and counters in the demo are great. I'll probably buy it. I just wish it was out now while I'm interested instead of waiting another month. Playing the demo a bunch got me in the mood to play an action game so I went out and got Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I never played Black so it's sort of new to me.

Har Har.

Resistance isnt even that good unless you like FPS games. I can't for the life of me get into FPS on console without the mouse/keyboard anyways. I love all the jokes about PS3 having no games. Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden, All sparts games, etc.

I know the shots are taken at PS3 because there arent any good EXCLUSIVE games but that doesnt mean there arent any good games for owners of it to buy.

The PS3 and Wii have similar amounts of good titles, yet the PS3 is the one with the "NO GAMEZ" stigma. Actually, let me qualify that by saying non-Nintendo fanboys also make fun of the Wii for not having any games. It is amusing to poke fun at the consoles for having very little quality software, especially when said console has a lot of fanboys who like to constantly remind people of how awesome it is, but some people seem serious in their criticism. Anyone who was around for any console launch in the last oh, 12 years (outside of the Dreamcast) knows that launches and launch-windows tend to suck horribly for good games. PS2, the best console of all time, was complete and utter rubbish for a good year+ after it's launch. And we all know how that turned out.

I have faith in the games for the PS3, but right now with its high price tag and lack of exclusive games, the only real selling point I can think of is the relatively cheap blue ray player.

Har Har.

The PS3 and Wii have similar amounts of good titles, yet the PS3 is the one with the "NO GAMEZ" stigma. Actually, let me qualify that by saying non-Nintendo fanboys also make fun of the Wii for not having any games. It is amusing to poke fun at the consoles for having very little quality software, especially when said console has a lot of fanboys who like to constantly remind people of how awesome it is, but some people seem serious in their criticism. Anyone who was around for any console launch in the last oh, 12 years (outside of the Dreamcast) knows that launches and launch-windows tend to suck horribly for good games. PS2, the best console of all time, was complete and utter rubbish for a good year+ after it's launch. And we all know how that turned out.

But Wii has Zelda, Resident Evil 4 and is $250 cheaper. In other words, its pretty "cheap" and has a killer app. PS3 has Resistance (which I don't really think is that great of a game) and non exclusives(although that Ninja Gaiden game rules all).

Simply put, there is at least one main reason to buy a Wii (although i don't give even a little bit of a shit about Zelda). I think that is the reason for the difference in views.

the exclusives thing only matters before you buy something. From the looks of it, PS3 has plenty of good titles. It just so happens most of them are also on the 360 and some on PC. It doesn't matter as much as internet ppl seem to think. I know someone who has a PS3 and was raving about this game or that game, and in my mind I thought 'these are on 360 also', but then I realized he didn't seem to care that call of duty 4 (or whatever number it is) was also on 360 - all that mattered to him was that it was on ps3 and he liked it.

PS3's too expensive for me though though and i'm souring on consoles in general but if I had a PS3 there's plenty I would buy. As far as Wii goes, I'd only buy Zelda (I already have RE4 on ps2). then again i'm not really a big fan of 'mini-game' or 'casual gamer' or 'party' games.

Maybe if blu-ray wins the format war and all the movies come out on it instead of just like half, i'll give it a second look.

But exclusives have been the measuring bar for "this console has X number of good games good games" for a while now. there is nothing new in that regard. And for right now, until the companies start utilizing all they can on the PS3, the games are looking and performing better on the 360 (just look at this years madden being 60 fps on the 360 and 30 on the PS3 totally due to the fact that the PS3 has the newer hardware and they haven't optimized the game for them yet).

And once again, it is the most expensive system. I think it will be held to a higher standard in terms of having games to play than the cheapest or even the second place system.

Yeah, that's the biggest downfall PS3 has right now. Because of it's price tag, it has to justify its price based on what it has to offer *over* 360. Sony's 1st party offerings are fine, but they've yet to get the strong 3rd party exclusives.

With PS1, they had a strong starting lineup at the time, a *major* price advantage (over Saturn) and an early start versus N64 (not counting that system's own problems).

With PS2, they stepped in and stomped on a Dreamcast that suffered from the PS2's massive hype job, PS2's built-in DVD player (at a time when such a thing was a luxury item) plus Sega's own long-running stupidity. Its competitors were late and poorly-equipped to actually compete (and "compete" is a somewhat generous).

Right now, they're late against one system that developers are better equipped to program for, and another system that's cheap to make, selling gangbusters, and leeching off last gen technology and last-gen programming experience. They don't have the "first mover" advantage, they don't have such weak competition, and they certainly don't have price in their favor. So they'll need to make it (and quick) on games and/or other selling points.

However, just like a lot of early 360 games, multiplatform games have had some frame rate issues (or just lower frame rates period) than on 360. PS3 Madden will only be 30 fps vs. 60 this year. FEAR had a abysmal frame rate, many reviews I'd seen noted. Lair, which was designed ground-up for the system, suffered from frame rate issues throughout development, and while it has been cleared up the title only runs at 30 fps.

Blu-Ray doesn't offer quite the same, obviously large benefits DVD did over VHS, and its appeal is tied quite a bit to HDTV adoption rate (at least until companies start to phase out DVD releases). So while attaching Blu-Ray with PS3 may be good for Sony's home video business, right now the value of the Blu-Ray releases are quite questionable. Maybe when new TV shows start being released in affordable 1-2 Blu-Ray disc sets (instead of monster 6-DVD sets) we'll really be talking. Personally, I find this 30-dollars-for-a-single-movie-disc business is weak.

Of course, maybe Sony's IPTV thing will pan out, but it's too early to tell.

And for right now, until the companies start utilizing all they can on the PS3, the games are looking and performing better on the 360 (just look at this years madden being 60 fps on the 360 and 30 on the PS3 totally due to the fact that the PS3 has the newer hardware and they haven't optimized the game for them yet).

Just wondering, is the Madden on the PS3 the same as the Madden on xbox360? Because personally I thought the game was dogshit. It was too arcadey focusing on flashing graphics and camera angles as opposed to graphics. There was little or no technique as say with the PS2 "traditional" style of madden, and 2 player was a joke, seeing as you could glance to the other side of the screen and see the exact play your opponent was making. I'm just hoping this years Wii / PS2 versions are more like the previous incarnations rather than the xbox360 version.

I think by late 2008 they'll be pretty much equal. 90% of their library will be the same and it'll just come down to whichever exclusives you prefer. Like the SNES/Genesis days I guess.

This fall is pretty brutal though. Heavenly Sword against Halo 3, Bioshock and Mass Effect. :( It's too bad MGS4 wasn't ready and they couldn't keep stuff like Assassins Creed exclusive.

I think by late 2008 they'll be pretty much equal. 90% of their library will be the same and it'll just come down to whichever exclusives you prefer. Like the SNES/Genesis days I guess.

And like with the Genesis/SNES days, you'll need to decide: are RPGs *really* that important to you? :)

That long-anticipated PS3 release that has a dragon in it and isn't Panzer Dragoon, has been hit with a delay:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/summer-is-draggin...mber-285027.php

SCEA producer Ryan Hamlyn wrote that the delay was due to"an extra step in QA testing to enhance the community features in the game." More specifically, "Natural challenges that arose while finalizing the offline game to include key online features - such as leaderboards and medal systems - have led to the difficult choice of pushing back the release date." Bummer!

A week or so until online Tekken! Seems like the Japan/Korea version has been getting mixed reviews. It sounds like the lag is noticeable but it doesn't make the game unplayable. Eh, should still be fun. Anyone else planning to get it?

That's Sony Europe, and I'd say they're trying too hard...to be...I dunno.

all of the "This is Living" ads have been pretentious crap. Creepy Baby Doll beats all of them.

Today's Insomniac Games podcast reveals the final, formal, set-in-stone release date for the PLAYSTATION 3 platformer Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction will be October 23rd.

- kotaku.com