TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

So, what do I, the PS3 owner who has an Xbox360 and uses his PS3 to watch DVDs and stuff downloaded from the Internet, have to look forward to, game wise, on the PS3?

I have LittleBIGplanet, MGS4 and Oblivion.

Infamous

Heavy Rain

Uncharted (Great game, and the sequel looks awesome as well.)

White Knight Chronicles

To name a few.

To be fair those two do look decent, and I'll probably pick them up. However, is that all the PS3 is at the moment - a 2 game a year machine?

I'm sure there are alot more but those are the ones I have interest in. I mostly stick with sports games anyway. I still haven't picked up MGS4 yet because I haven't had time to invest in it. NHL 09 and Castlevania SoTN (PSN download) have been getting lots of play when I have time.

I too fall into the category of the "PS3 as an entertainment unit" type. I have a 320 gig HDD in there with loads of music/tv shows/and movies on top of my large Blu collection.

I've got 4 Killzone 2 demo tokens that I took from work today. I guess the first four to PM me with interest will get 'em...

That's kind man, but I'll pass on these ones (since I got a GoW code). However, I would like a run down on what the game is like. People seem to have high hopes that this will be THE GAME to get more attention on the PS3 for games, and not flashy no content things.

I too fall into the category of the "PS3 as an entertainment unit" type. I have a 320 gig HDD in there with loads of music/tv shows/and movies on top of my large Blu collection.

Is it a big pain to switch out the HDD for the PS3? I've got an 80 but I'd love to replace it with a 500GB or 1TB drive since they've come down dramatically in price over the last few months.

Is it a big pain to switch out the HDD for the PS3? I've got an 80 but I'd love to replace it with a 500GB or 1TB drive since they've come down dramatically in price over the last few months.

While I haven't done it myself, it doesn't look to be too hard.

Official Statement from Sony

All you need is a SATA HDD (laptop hard drive). I think it's awesome that Sony tells you how to upgrade it, and that it does not void your warranty. If you fuck it up though, that's on you.

Aye its nice you can do that. If you installed a new HD with a new OS, would you be able to download stuff like you would on a PC? So, could you download movies and stuff 'legally'?

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but the mega crossover JRPG from Capcom, Nippon Ichi, Namco Bandai, Gust, and Idea Factory X (Cross) Edge is being released in North America this March! IMO this is a huge release for fans of this genre!

Wiki Entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Edge

Japanese Trailer:

Here's hoping that this is just the start of a trend to see obscure Japanese games getting localized for a niche market. I know I'm reaching with this one but I'd also love to see a re-release of the PS2 Namco X Capcom JRPG as well. :wub:

The game features turn-based battles, a plot that involves rescuing souls, and the ability to dress the female characters of your party in a wide variety of outfits, from PE clothes to devil costumes.

Gets my vote! Though seriously, we could do with some more fun RPGs.

Sure you guys probably already knew about this, but I've only just found out so thought I'd share it with the rest of you.

http://ps3.qj.net/Hands-on-Use-your-SIXAXI...pg/49/aid/75550

The reason I went looking for a way to get it to work as I've found a copy of Disgaea to try out :D

I've got 4 Killzone 2 demo tokens that I took from work today. I guess the first four to PM me with interest will get 'em...

I'll take one if there is any left.

I'll take one if there is any left.

As will I...AntiLeaf33

Sent and Sent

So how exactly do you use these tokens? Just go online the PSN store and input them somewhere?

That's what I was trying to figure out this morning. I put them in as redeem codes in the PlayStation Store, and I was told they are invalid or expired.

I have a quick question about Blu Ray playback. I borrowed 300 from a friend. My tv can display full 1080p. My main question is, from time to time, mainly when the colors get bright (which is 99% of this film), the picture still looks sharp as ever, but gets a little "grainy". That's the best way I can describe it. Any ideas how to prevent this? I've checked my HDMI cable, and it's properly connected on both ends.

I have a quick question about Blu Ray playback. I borrowed 300 from a friend. My tv can display full 1080p. My main question is, from time to time, mainly when the colors get bright (which is 99% of this film), the picture still looks sharp as ever, but gets a little "grainy". That's the best way I can describe it. Any ideas how to prevent this? I've checked my HDMI cable, and it's properly connected on both ends.

That's probably either just the film, or you're sitting too close to the TV. How big is it and how far away do you sit?

That's probably either just the film, or you're sitting too close to the TV. How big is it and how far away do you sit?

42" LCD. I sit about 6 feet away usually.

It's just the film, 300 is grainy.

Yeah I watched the regular DVD of 300 on my PS3 and just with the upscaling you could see grain. I imagine it would be significantly more noticeable on a bluray.

Got Marvel Ultimate Alliance using Best Buy gift cards today. It's not an amazing game, but reading comic books is one of my favorite hobbies, so I'm having fun with this game, especially since I get to use guys like Captain America and Deadpool. If anybody has this and wants to play one day, let me know. This game seems it would be really fun online.

For my next game, I have my eye on Resistance 2, since I just beat WAW a few days ago. Would this be a good decision? I know IGN gave it a great score, and my circle of friends is pushing for all of us to get it. Anybody else play this/ like it? Should I bother?

Thanks for the info about 300, everyone. That was the first time I had seen it, and DAMN that's a man's movie. The only other Blu Ray I own that gets a little grainy from time to time is The Mist, but I already knew it was supposed to look that way.

Got Marvel Ultimate Alliance using Best Buy gift cards today. It's not an amazing game, but reading comic books is one of my favorite hobbies, so I'm having fun with this game, especially since I get to use guys like Captain America and Deadpool. If anybody has this and wants to play one day, let me know. This game seems it would be really fun online.

For my next game, I have my eye on Resistance 2, since I just beat WAW a few days ago. Would this be a good decision? I know IGN gave it a great score, and my circle of friends is pushing for all of us to get it. Anybody else play this/ like it? Should I bother?

Resistance is fun if you have people you know to play it with. If you're on your own it gets pretty old fast. I have MAU and Res2 so if I see you on I'll send you a message. :P

I think my PS3 might be possessed. For some reason when I booted it up earlier today, the video settings had "reset", and it had me go through the video/audio setup again, saying it "detected an HDMI connection", which is what I've had it hooked up with the whole time. While I have the menus in 1080i, for some reason I can't get it to output games (like Fallout 3) in 1080i again (it was before). Anyone know what setting I need to tweak?

Resistance is fun if you have people you know to play it with. If you're on your own it gets pretty old fast. I have MAU and Res2 so if I see you on I'll send you a message. :P

Cool, sounds like a plan. I'm waiting a few weeks to get Resistance. Classes are starting soon and I'll probably have to drop a couple hundred on text books. Went to Circuit City today in hopes there'd be a clearance sale but nope.