Sign in to follow this  
LivingLegendGaryColeman

We Have Us An Iron Man

So, for now, Iron Man 2 has:

No Favaru

No Downey Jr.

No Story.

and No Script.

But it does have a release date of April 2010.

Oh dear.

Joel Schumacher

Matt LeBlanc

...um...bank robbers in steel suits

Kevin Smith

we have ourselves a movie

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=7481

Theroux to Script Iron Man Sequel

Source: Variety

July 15, 2008

Marvel Studios' first production and this summer's current top-grosser Iron Man, has been so successful, grossing over $560 million worldwide, that it was a foregone conclusion that a sequel would happen sooner rather than later. What might be surprising is that according to Variety, they're changing writers for the second movie, going with actor/filmmaker Justin Theroux to pen the sequel, which is planned for a late April release in 2010.

While Marvel Studios negotiates with director Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. to bring them back for the sequel, they've hired Theroux, who some might know from his acting roles in McG's Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle and HBO's "Six Feet Under." He also wrote and executive produced Ben Stiller's upcoming war comedy Tropic Thunder (also starring Robert Downey Jr.), and presumably Marvel saw that he could write comedy and action suitable for shellhead's sequel. (Marvel Studios themselves haven't commented on any of the developments on the sequel as of yet.)

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=7459

Jon Favreau Signed for Iron Man 2

Source: Deadline Hollywood Daily

July 10, 2008

Deadline Hollywood Daily reports that director Jon Favreau has reached a deal with Marvel Studios to direct Iron Man 2, which is targeted for an April 30, 2010 release.

Robert Downey Jr. had a sequel clause in his contract so he's on board. We assume that Terrence Howard and Gwyneth Paltrow will return as well.

Budgeted for about $140 million, the first film has earned a massive $563.8 million worldwide.

I figured they'd eventually get Favreau and Downey but the thing I'm shocked about is its being released in April. Granted, it's at the tail end of the month but it seems like Summer Movie Season gets longer and longer every year with big movies coming out earlier and earlier in May (and now into April) and more prominent movies coming out in August.. I don't know if I'm just remembering my shit wrong but it seemed like back in the day Summer Movie Season was mid-May to mid to late July. Now it starts in the last friggin Friday in April and doesn't end till Labor Day.

If they can't sign Howard, will Downey just play the other character now that he has experience?

As long as Downey and Favr are back, I'm chill. I met Jon once, great guy, he was buzzed but he was still pretty cool. Hopefully he continues to walk that fine line between kids friendly and action thrill ride that he managed to pull off with the first one. As for Justin, I'll wait and see if Tropic Thunder is worth a damn script wise before I wonder.

Right now this and Incredible Hulk 3 (unless Marvel and Norton can't work things out, then screw it) are two films I'm really looking forward to seeing. Hopefully Wolverine does well and the Deadpool fanbase grows enough to warrant the wise cracking morbid humor asssasin into his own film. Well, as long as it has a director and a script that doesn't blow chunks.

If they can't sign Howard they'll probably just get someone else to pick up the role. Which would suck. I hope he does sign on, though.

Also - I hope they get into the boozing prick side of Tony Stark in this next movie.

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/terrencehoward_blog.html

Howard Says Being Replaced Was 'Surprise of a Lifetime'

by Matt McDaniel | October 21, 2008

Many people were stunned by the news last week that Don Cheadle, and not Terrence Howard, would be playing the role of James "Rhodey" Rhodes in "Iron Man 2." None more so, apparently, than Terrence Howard himself.

Howard recently spoke to NPR to promote his first album, "Shine Through It," and the topic of being replaced in the sequel to the hugely popular comic book adaptation came about. And the Oscar-nominated actor sounded as confused as anyone about the rationale behind the change.

"It was the surprise of a lifetime. There was no explanation, [it] just up and vanished. And I read something in the trades that implicated it was about money... but apparently the contracts that we write and sign aren't worth the paper that they're printed on sometimes. And promises aren't kept, and good faith negotiations aren't always held up."

Hear the full interview >> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=95833828

Marvel Studios, who produced "Iron Man," offered no comment when the story originally broke. But The Hollywood Reporter spoke to sources who stated that negotiations with the actor "fell through over financial differences," which Howard disputes.

The announcement especially confused fans of the comic book since it is widely believed the character of Rhodey will have a bigger part in the sequel. Towards the end of the first film, Rhodes looked at Tony Stark's second attempt at the Iron Man armor, the silver "Mark II" version, and said to himself, "Next time, baby." This was a hint that Rhodes would get his own armor, just like he did in the comics. His upgraded and more heavily armed suit goes by the name War Machine, and concept designs for the character have already been created.

Don Cheadle, an Oscar nominee in his own right, has not issued a statement about the casting. Cheadle and Howard both appeared in the 2005 Best Picture winner "Crash." Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow are both expected to return for the sequel, as is director Jon Favreau.

For his part, Howard doesn't seem to be holding onto any grudges. He is touring in support of his album, a collection of self-penned, jazz-inspired tunes on which he sings and plays guitar. He told NPR he is trying to hold onto the calm nature he developed growing up in a tough neighborhood.

"I found a peacefulness in me, though, that -- even in getting slapped when I was a little kid, when I would get attacked -- even though I was strong enough to stop it I would never hit back, back then... Even now, I didn't hit back."

"Iron Man 2" is scheduled to open May 7, 2010.

That was a pretty interesting read. I had no idea Howard was the most paid actor in the first film, or his difficult behavior on the set. I did wonder when I saw Iron Man, why Rhodes didn't seem to have much screen time.

That's was always my problem too.

I'm not too fussed on Don, just as long as he doesn't do that "English" accent he had in the Oceans films. *shudders*

At this point, I'm just happy they didn't cast Dane Cook to play Tony Stark. I honestly wouldn't mind Will Smith as Jim Rhodes though, but Don Cheadle should do fine.

Question for everyone:

For the Iron Man sequel, would your bring War Machine into this movie, or save Rhodes suiting up for a possible third?

Same question for The Mandarin.

I'd put War Machine in the second for a wall to wall action sequel, then The Mandarin as the big villian (who's been pulling the strings thru the whole series) in the third.

I'm not sure about when to use Crimson Dynamo... I'd probably wait for the third movie, actually. If you have him as the sequel villain, then it's going to feel like the same kind of big bad as the first movie: ie Obadiah in the Iron Monger suit.

I'd go with the Living Laser.

If you go to Wikipedia, the list of Iron Man rogues is:

Blizzard · Blacklash · Controller · Crimson Dynamo · Dreadknight · Fin Fang Foom · Firebrand · Ghost · Iron Monger · Justin Hammer · Living Laser · Madame Masque · Mandarin · Melter · M.O.D.O.K. · Spymaster · Temugin · Titanium Man · Unicorn · Ultimo

Fin Fang Foom could make a cool movie. Superhero movies make money. Dragon movies make money. Superheroes vs Dragons? Money.