TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

WWE announces 2007 DVDs

the first half of this was totally boring. does arn realise how big of a tool he sounds trying to put over predetermined, fantasy angles as real life? nothing was staged, it was all horsemen kicking ass & honestly breaking dustys arm. what a door knob. the second half was really good if only for showing was bitter, egomaniacs most of them became. the group itself became such a joke. and while paul roma may not have a glowing reputation in the business, his & tullys comments were the most sincere & honest of the bunch. at least they were realistic. well, and barry tsharing how flair fucked him over. but that was only 5 seconds.

You're telling me you can't tell that he's talking about the storylines from the PERSPECTIVE of the characters? Who's the tool again?

Considering that John Belushi died in 1981 it'd be a neat trick if the Horsemen were partying with him. Maybe it was Jim Belushi?

I sounded harsh in my earlier post but let me explain where I'm coming from. My area was never a big market for the NWA. It just wasn't. Memphis used to run Louisville every week, so I'm much fonder of that stuff than I am the NWA. In fact as a kid I liked both the WWF's national shows and the Memphis regional shows better than the NWA. I think the NWA's fate was sealed due to pushing heels far too long and kids didn't want to see that stuff. WWF had larger than life heroes (Hogan, Savage, Warrior, etc.) that WON. Memphis had a more blue collar redneck appeal with Jerry Lawler, but he'd usually win out in the end.

That was my problem with the NWA. The heroes were typically incompetent or screwed over at every turn, or they'd win a title and the decision would be overturned. Regardless of their legacy, the Horsemen were a major part of that crappy booking and quite honestly while they were a reason for the NWA's upswing in popularity they were also a major reason for the NWA's business downturn by 1988. They were eerily similar to the NWO in that regard.

The irony is that the Horsemen would suffer from the the opposite problem when the nWo was around, more or less being a group of inneffectual tweeners/babyfaces, who came out and shouted a lot, but really never were able to strike back against the New World Order.

Really the best example of a heel stable in WCW that was able to become strong, but was solidly defeated in the end, was the Dangerous Alliance.

i forgot about that juicy belushi tidbit. how can anyone of these guys look themselves in the mirror after spewing such lies? losers, those four horsemen. except tully & roma. roma sincerely came off well which im sure was the exact opposite way they wanted to portray him.

Considering that John Belushi died in 1981 it'd be a neat trick if the Horsemen were partying with him. Maybe it was Jim Belushi?

I thought it was Dusty who said this. That he was with Belushi and Bette Middler in a bar and when the Horsemen came in, the fans all gravitated to them instead of the other celebs.

the first half of this was totally boring. does arn realise how big of a tool he sounds trying to put over predetermined, fantasy angles as real life? nothing was staged, it was all horsemen kicking ass & honestly breaking dustys arm. what a door knob. the second half was really good if only for showing was bitter, egomaniacs most of them became. the group itself became such a joke. and while paul roma may not have a glowing reputation in the business, his & tullys comments were the most sincere & honest of the bunch. at least they were realistic. well, and barry tsharing how flair fucked him over. but that was only 5 seconds.

You're telling me you can't tell that he's talking about the storylines from the PERSPECTIVE of the characters? Who's the tool again?

from the perspective of the characters? arn told the story that he hired of a film crew, followed dusty to a gas station, and broke his arm legit. talking from the perspective of his characters? this is a documentary of the four horsemen. its about the story of the horsemen. he was the only one talking in character the entire time. no, arn, you didn't break dustys arm. it was an angle. talk about how great the angle was. don't talk about kicking sting out of the horsemen for thinking of himself. tell us that he was kicked out because it was a bad booking decision. others had no problem doing it, arn just felt the need to perpetuate the myth of this faction that was stinky & death ridden 18 years ago. honest to god, the guy seems so self-involved about himself & his legacy i can almost understand why bischoff & the nwo mocked him. get a life. you were a wrestler like anyone else, stop protecting your bullshit legacy & tell the story. the only honesty from him the entire time was when he said he quit the wwf but he did it because he couldn't think of a macho storyline reason.

I too quite enjoyed the Dangerous Alliance angle. It went on for a while, but didn't outstay its welcome. And really I think everyone came out of it doing okay for themselves. Sting had the title and moved into the Vader feud. Steamboat and Rude continued feuding as a side deal outside of the Dangerous Alliance angle. Windham and Rhodes won the tag belts later that year. Austin ended up forming the Hollywood Blondes a while later.

Oh and which War Games is generally regarded as the best one ever? The 1992 match with the Dangerous Alliance vs. Sting's Sqadron.

I assume Dusty just misspoke and meant to say Jim Belushi and not John. John was dead by the time the Horsemen were a group. In fact he died the same year Flair first won the world title.

i forgot about that juicy belushi tidbit. how can anyone of these guys look themselves in the mirror after spewing such lies? losers, those four horsemen. except tully & roma. roma sincerely came off well which im sure was the exact opposite way they wanted to portray him.

Roma seemed to be in character.

from the perspective of the characters? arn told the story that he hired of a film crew, followed dusty to a gas station, and broke his arm legit. talking from the perspective of his characters? this is a documentary of the four horsemen. its about the story of the horsemen. he was the only one talking in character the entire time. no, arn, you didn't break dustys arm. it was an angle. talk about how great the angle was. don't talk about kicking sting out of the horsemen for thinking of himself. tell us that he was kicked out because it was a bad booking decision. others had no problem doing it, arn just felt the need to perpetuate the myth of this faction that was stinky & death ridden 18 years ago. honest to god, the guy seems so self-involved about himself & his legacy i can almost understand why bischoff & the nwo mocked him. get a life. you were a wrestler like anyone else, stop protecting your bullshit legacy & tell the story. the only honesty from him the entire time was when he said he quit the wwf but he did it because he couldn't think of a macho storyline reason.

Wow you really need to look up the word 'context' in a dictionary. I think it's definition will help you understand things a lot better. I guess this is what I get for venturing into the dregs of the WWE folder.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Roma knew how he was going to be portrayed by the other guys on this disk and decided to just defend himself, saying "well, okay, people didn't accept me as a true member, but really, people accept a 67 yo Ric Flair and a pot bellied Arn Anderson as people to be afraid of?" (To paraphrase).

The Horseman concept was great in the eighties, but this disc just shows how lame it was for it to be brought back numerous times in the nineties and even lamer how guys (see Anderson, Arn) really tried to keep this going/thought it would work just as good as in the eighties with the "right mix".It's the same lameness that people here (including myself) always complain about when the NWO and DX reformed. The "magic" was gone by then.

The worst part is how much these guys, surprisingly, put over Mongo McMichael. THAT was the true low-point of the horsemen. The parts I enjoyed the most, commentary-wise, by far were by Coke-head Tully and Barry.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure Roma knew how he was going to be portrayed by the other guys on this disk and decided to just defend himself, saying "well, okay, people didn't accept me as a true member, but really, people accept a 67 yo Ric Flair and a pot bellied Arn Anderson as people to be afraid of?" (To paraphrase).

The Horseman concept was great in the eighties, but this disc just shows how lame it was for it to be brought back numerous times in the nineties and even lamer how guys (see Anderson, Arn) really tried to keep this going/thought it would work just as good as in the eighties with the "right mix".It's the same lameness that people here (including myself) always complain about when the NWO and DX reformed. The "magic" was gone by then.

The worst part is how much these guys, surprisingly, put over Mongo McMichael. THAT was the true low-point of the horsemen. The parts I enjoyed the most, commentary-wise, by far were by Coke-head Tully and Barry.

So he really is a jackass?

In all fairness to Mongo I think his initial run with the Horsemen was probably the group's strongest period since the original 1985-88 run. His heel turn on Kevin Greene was very well done and amusing as hell. I also enjoyed what Woman and Elizabeth brought to the group during that time period.

The Flair/Arn/Benoit/Pillman version could have been really interesting but Pillman flaked out and quit the company before they did much besides the goofy Dungeon of Doom nonsense.

I always thought a combination of Flair, Anderson, Pillman, and Austin would of been interesting. With the eventual outcome being the groupd breaking-up.

I always thought a combination of Flair, Anderson, Pillman, and Austin would of been interesting. With the eventual outcome being the groupd breaking-up.

I've thought that for years!!!

The Hollywood Blonds were so over despite getting no push from management. Imagine how different wrestling would be if the Blonds had become horsemen and after a major push, split with Austin and flair feuding? But no, we get the Dungeon of Doom and the Booty Man.....god I hate Hogan.

I didnt get the horsemen set cuz of the shocking lack of it at my CC, apprantly they only got in like 4 or 5 copies, so by the time I went to work on Thursday night, they were gone, though I did get my manager to give me rain check on it. weird cuz we usually get in tons of wwe dvds every time they release, save for the history of the wwe title, DX, Rumble box set, and now this one. hope it comes in again, man did that ever piss me off.

The Hollywood Blonds were so over despite getting no push from management. Imagine how different wrestling would be if the Blonds had become horsemen and after a major push, split with Austin and flair feuding? But no, we get the Dungeon of Doom and the Booty Man.....god I hate Hogan.

No push from management? They were the tag champs for virtually all of their run.

Loved the DVD.

But I Agree...Arn sounded like a tool.

He was so obviously over the top in character (of over a decade ago BTW) that it made me not really care for his opinions.

And he was Arn Anderson...

Of the 4 horseman...

Swing and a miss Arn

No push from management? They were the tag champs for virtually all of their run.

I meant more the fact that they were just thrown together and got over on their own abilities and ideas. I kind of view them the same as the New Age Outlaws when they first started getting over.

Maybe I'm just apathetic about WCW from that time period, but I really could have cared less about the Hollywood Blondes. Maybe it was due to WCW's ineptitude at pushing people, but I barely noticed when they were broken up. That said, the NAO aren't a real good comparison since the Blondes at least had something called talent. The New Age Outlaws were two crappy wrestlers that used a couple of catchphrases and some Memphis heel bits to piss people off and voila. They got over for a while.

Let's face it, a booker could take anyone and let them be the first guys to destroy the LOD and then throw Cactus Jack and Terry Funk off a stage in a dumpster and get them over.

Here's the cover for the "Ladder Match" dvd to be released on June 5th, according to amazon.com. From the front I could make out a few names like Shawn Michaels, Triple H, The Rock, Rob Van Dam, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, and Chris Benoit. That should help to especulate on what matches to expect on this set. Since it's a 3-disc set then we can hope for a lot of great stuff. Maybe someone can get a clearer image and make out the other names I'm missing so we can especulate a little more?

B000LC3IJ2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V22121627_SS500_.jpg

Well let's see...

Between "Chris Benoit" and "Eddie Guerrero" on the disc, I can make out Bret "Hit Man" Hart. So there's a chance one of those pre-WrestleMania X ladder matches will be on there.

Triple H and The Rock I think only had one ladder match, so if they're mentioned on the set's cover, it's the Summerslam 98 one.

Eddie Guerrero...maybe the one he had with RVD?

Shawn Michaels I only think had 2 or 3 ladder matches in WWF/E, and 2 of them were against Razor Ramon. We'll most likely get the WrestleMania X match, but you think we'll get the Summerslam 95 one as well, seeing this is a three-disc set?

Too bad Undertaker's not mentioned on the cover, or we could have added his match with Jeff Hardy for the Undisputed Title to the list.

EDIT: Since I have good enough eyesight, the list reads:

Shawn Michaels

Edge

The Hardys

Triple H

The Rock

Chris Benoit

Bret "Hit Man" Hart

Eddie Guerrero

Rob Van Dam

Chris Jericho

And More

Between "Chris Benoit" and "Eddie Guerrero" on the disc, I can make out Bret "Hit Man" Hart. So there's a chance one of those pre-WrestleMania X ladder matches will be on there.

I think that's a pretty good chance. Finally we may have that original match with HBK on dvd.

Triple H and The Rock I think only had one ladder match, so if they're mentioned on the set's cover, it's the Summerslam 98 one.

The Rock also had a ladder match against Mankind on RAW after St. Valentine's Day Massacre which was pretty good. Hopefully it's also on this set.

Eddie Guerrero...maybe the one he had with RVD?

Eddie also had one vs. Rey Mysterio at SummerSlam. And if you want to stretch the concept a bit, he also had an awesome street fight with Edge on SD! back in 2002 which involved a ladder quite significantly. I'd love to have that match on dvd.

Shawn Michaels I only think had 2 or 3 ladder matches in WWF/E, and 2 of them were against Razor Ramon. We'll most likely get the WrestleMania X match, but you think we'll get the Summerslam 95 one as well, seeing this is a three-disc set?

The SummerSlam ladder rematch should be a shoe-in for this set. And if Bret is included then it should be with the HBK match.

Too bad Undertaker's not mentioned on the cover, or we could have added his match with Jeff Hardy for the Undisputed Title to the list.

It says "And More" on the cover so we might see that match yet, which incidentally, is included on the UK-only Silvervision dvd "RAW's Most Memorable Matches". And I sincerely hope for that Hardys vs Edge & Christian match from the first RAW on TNN, which featured the original Holy Shit spot of Edge spearing Jeff 20-something feet up in the air.

EDIT: Since I have good enough eyesight, the list reads:

Shawn Michaels

Edge

The Hardys

Triple H

The Rock

Chris Benoit

Bret "Hit Man" Hart

Eddie Guerrero

Rob Van Dam

Chris Jericho

And More

This would also mean the Rumble ladder match between Benoit and Jericho is in it for sure. I think this could be an awesome dvd.

Well, first we have to wonder:

Do they count TLC matches in this or not? I'm thinking not, but you never know.

Also, seeing as they seem to always want at least one relatively recent match on their new disc sets, I'm thinking at least ONE of the three Money in the Bank Ladder Matches is in this.

And you know...I forgot all about the Mankind/Rock ladder match. Didn't Big Show run in at the end of that?

I hoping to see:

Razor Ramon vs HBK (WMX)

Razor Ramon vs HBK (SS)

Rock vs Triple H (SS)

Hardyz vs E&C (No Mercy 99)

E&C vs Hardyz vs Dudleys (WM 2000)

Jericho vs Benoit (RR 01)

RVD vs Jeff Hardy (SS)

RVD vs Eddie (RAW)

Undertaker vs Jeff Hardy (RAW)

RVD vs Jeff Hardy (RAW)

Christian vs RVD (RAW)

Rey vs Eddie (SS)

L/K vs MNM vs Hardys vs Regal/Taylor

Money in the Bank 1

TLC II and III

Maybe I'm just apathetic about WCW from that time period, but I really could have cared less about the Hollywood Blondes. Maybe it was due to WCW's ineptitude at pushing people, but I barely noticed when they were broken up. That said, the NAO aren't a real good comparison since the Blondes at least had something called talent. The New Age Outlaws were two crappy wrestlers that used a couple of catchphrases and some Memphis heel bits to piss people off and voila. They got over for a while.

Let's face it, a booker could take anyone and let them be the first guys to destroy the LOD and then throw Cactus Jack and Terry Funk off a stage in a dumpster and get them over.

NAO got over because JR yelled "They are the greatest tag team in the history of WWF" every time they were on tv and they were pushed as DX-lite. It was like if Honky Tonk Man had a pair of clones that came out of the WWF lab made to become the next tag team champions of the world....the Rockabilly and the R-O-A-double D-O-double G who couldn't get over as a Gulf War vet or the guy who carried Jarrett's bags around.

NAO got over because JR yelled "They are the greatest tag team in the history of WWF" every time they were on tv and they were pushed as DX-lite. It was like if Honky Tonk Man had a pair of clones that came out of the WWF lab made to become the next tag team champions of the world....the Rockabilly and the R-O-A-double D-O-double G who couldn't get over as a Gulf War vet or the guy who carried Jarrett's bags around.

I think the New Age Outlaws got over as well as they did due to the right marketing. Their own style and attitude fit the Attitude Era rather nicely, so it didn't matter if either couldn't wrestle worth a lick. From the early days where both guys wore South Park shirts (to show off how rebellious they were), to the catchphrases that the crowd loved singing along with, to the recognizable moveset, they had very little, but they had enough to get over. Their style was the perfect fit for the '98 version of DX.

I gotta also add: Pairing Road Dogg with Billy Gunn was ingenious as far as getting Gunn over as a better wrestler than what he actually was. Because Dogg was the equivalent of a high card comedy act, it made Gunn appear like an actual wrestler by comparison (even though he really sucked) and made WWF fans feel that Gunn should be the next guy to get a singles push. Of course, once that happened, and he had his match with Rock at SummerSlam 99, it became very apparent how bad the guy really was, but the WWF, to their credit, did quite the job hiding Gunn's weaknesses and making him appear better than he was in the NAO.

What if they went with Pillman, Beniot, Malenko, Henning with Flair as JJ Dillion as part time wrestler and Arn as adviser?

Marty, NAO is what a traditional tag team should be a pair of lowcard wrestlers who can never get over as single wrestlers Road Dogg did all of the talking and Billy Gunn did the power moves its the classic case of the sum is greater than the parts where they would cover for each other's weakness.