TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

WWE announces 2007 DVDs

Blockbuster's Exclusive Special Features for tomorrow's No Mercy release are listed as:

RAW 10/01/07 - John Cena Gets Injured

I'm glad to know that this turned out to be the entire Cena / Kennedy match from that RAW with the post-match Orton attack included. Good for WWE to put back in full matches as exclusive extras.

Well, I just watched the documentary part of Shawn's new DVD and it is really good stuff. Nowhere near as much obscure WWF footage as I'd have liked but still some good action and AWA footage. Plenty of attention to Shawn's great return from injury, but it was hard listening to Shawn talking about going through depression since he thought about suicide and also, that he wasn't competent to be able to take care of his family since he couldn't wrestle anymore which caused him to do drugs and booze.

And unfortunately, they focused A LOT on the screwjob and Triple H had a lot of needless crap to say, even Ted Dibiase seemed to harp on Bret being 'bitter' still and how Shawn wants to patch things up (although I'm sure WWE just asked Ted to say that for them just to make Shawn look good). They showed clips of Bret smashing stuff up whilst talking about how much grudge he has, fair or what. Hunter also said how Bret was going to walk out the next night, when not under contract, which is bullshit because he still had like another 30 days left and would have dropped it anytime if Vince had let him. Hunter is just being a complete revisionist nitwit and Shawn tells a different story with each interview he does regarding Montreal. (In the Heartbreak and Triumph book, Shawn says he was the mastermind behind the whole thing, on the DVD he says it was Vince's idea and he was doing what he was told.) Personally, I think the DVD would've been much better without spending so much time on it. It's so disappointing that WWE had taken great strides in patching things up with Bret over the years only for this crap to be released and shown and take it right back to square one. *Sigh*

So, aside from the Montreal crap (it never gets old and WWE will never let it die), HBK's DVD is amazing and easily the best Superstar DVD since Flair and Hart. There's a few more matches I would've preferred to have on there like Vs. Bret Hart from Survivor Series 92, Vs. Chris Jericho at WM XIX, or Vs. Shelton Benjamin on RAW in mid-2005, but I'm really grateful WWE went all-out on releasing rare / classic matches instead of just rehashing stuff From The Vault.

This DVD set is absolutely worth getting for any HBK fan. Hell, even any wrestling fan out there.

Looks like they released "Screwed: The Bret Hart Story" afterall. I wonder if this will affect the new Hart dvd, then again he probably won't ever know about it since he won't be out there buying a Shawn Michaels dvd.

Looks like they released "Screwed: The Bret Hart Story" afterall. I wonder if this will affect the new Hart dvd, then again he probably won't ever know about it since he won't be out there buying a Shawn Michaels dvd.

He'll still probably hear about it though.

Blockbuster's Exclusive Special Features for tomorrow's No Mercy release are listed as:

RAW 10/01/07 - John Cena Gets Injured

I'm glad to know that this turned out to be the entire Cena / Kennedy match from that RAW with the post-match Orton attack included. Good for WWE to put back in full matches as exclusive extras.

Well, I just watched the documentary part of Shawn's new DVD and it is really good stuff. Nowhere near as much obscure WWF footage as I'd have liked but still some good action and AWA footage. Plenty of attention to Shawn's great return from injury, but it was hard listening to Shawn talking about going through depression since he thought about suicide and also, that he wasn't competent to be able to take care of his family since he couldn't wrestle anymore which caused him to do drugs and booze.

And unfortunately, they focused A LOT on the screwjob and Triple H had a lot of needless crap to say, even Ted Dibiase seemed to harp on Bret being 'bitter' still and how Shawn wants to patch things up (although I'm sure WWE just asked Ted to say that for them just to make Shawn look good). They showed clips of Bret smashing stuff up whilst talking about how much grudge he has, fair or what. Hunter also said how Bret was going to walk out the next night, when not under contract, which is bullshit because he still had like another 30 days left and would have dropped it anytime if Vince had let him. Hunter is just being a complete revisionist nitwit and Shawn tells a different story with each interview he does regarding Montreal. (In the Heartbreak and Triumph book, Shawn says he was the mastermind behind the whole thing, on the DVD he says it was Vince's idea and he was doing what he was told.) Personally, I think the DVD would've been much better without spending so much time on it. It's so disappointing that WWE had taken great strides in patching things up with Bret over the years only for this crap to be released and shown and take it right back to square one. *Sigh*

So, aside from the Montreal crap (it never gets old and WWE will never let it die), HBK's DVD is amazing and easily the best Superstar DVD since Flair and Hart. There's a few more matches I would've preferred to have on there like Vs. Hart from Survivor Series 92, Vs. Chris Jericho at WM XIX, or Vs. Shelton Benjamin on RAW in mid-2005, but I'm really grateful WWE went all-out on releasing rare / classic matches instead of just rehashing stuff From The Vault.

This DVD set is absolutely worth getting for any HBK fan. Hell, even any wrestling fan out there.

Not true, Shawn has always said Vince hinted at the screw job, and Hunter was the 1st one to voice it. Shawn knew what Vince was implying, and was going to agree as soon as Vince asked, but Hunter made it easy for them both.

W01159X.JPG

It would be nice if WWE.com said more than "Raw is amazing! Buy this DVD to commemorate 15 years of it!".

Unless plans have changed, WWE is a doing a 15th anniversary special of RAW.

So, what is likely to happen is that the dvd will include the entire episode, some of their favorite moments and matches from the past 15 years.

As for the Michaels dvd, I have no interest unless it includes his match vs. The Model from Summerslam.

That was a classic.

A better feature would be a retrospective, but I could see them slapping the anniversary show on disc 1. That still leaves some room on disc 1 and 2 other discs of extra matches that I'd like to know about.

Maybe the anniversary show will be a retrospective with a few live segments thrown in.

Earlier this afternoon I stopped by Bull Moose Music a local CD/DVD place that breaks street date pretty often. I wasn’t too surprised to see that they already had the WCCW DVD out for sale so I picked it up. Here are a few thoughts and comments after watching the main feature.

-Fritz is portrayed in a relatively even manner some defend him like you would expect others didn’t seem to care about him, Jimmy Garvin in particular. Speaking of Garvin he looks as though he has missed many meals since retirement.

-The Freebirds get quite a bit of play and seem to be trumped up almost as equals to the Von Erichs in terms of WCCW’s success. One cute moment is Michael Hayes calling Kerry Von Erich a steroid abuser. Considering today’s product I couldn’t imagine someone being that overt about the topic. Also seeing and hearing Buddy Roberts speak is kind of hard through the voice box.

-The piece on Gino Hernandez is done quickly, but is very good. I won’t spoil it, but Gary Hart’s speech about Gino is pretty touching.

-There’s a bit of contradicting going on when the topic of drugs comes up. Skandor Akbar claims he never saw it in the locker room, while Bill Irwin says it was there and he participated.

-The general consensus is just like the Heroes documentary pointing at David’s death as downturn point for the company. The heaps of praise found in the documentary for David is found here too, but to the point where it seems like they really shit on Kerry.

-Their choice of matches seems kind of odd. For instance they chose the Kamala/Great Kabuki match from the David memorial show. I would have thought that the title change with Kerry would have been a more significant choice for inclusion.

Overall it’s a good effort from the WWE, but most of what’s here was covered in the Heroes of World Class documentary in most cases with more depth. If anything this is a good supplement to that and it includes matches which is a nice bonus.

Did they go over The Warrior's days in WCCW at all, mention him, or do they mention Cactus or Austin for that matter.

I wanted to see Gary Hart on the DVD, and I also wanted to hear Michael Hayes' side of the story. Definitely will buy now.

Did they go over The Warrior's days in WCCW at all, mention him, or do they mention Cactus or Austin for that matter.

Austin and Warrior aren't mentioned. Foley talks a bit about being there around the time of the change to USWA.

-Their choice of matches seems kind of odd. For instance they chose the Kamala/Great Kabuki match from the David memorial show. I would have thought that the title change with Kerry would have been a more significant choice for inclusion.

Overall it’s a good effort from the WWE, but most of what’s here was covered in the Heroes of World Class documentary in most cases with more depth. If anything this is a good supplement to that and it includes matches which is a nice bonus.

Bull Moose is great. Can you give us a match listing?

I wasn't even paying enough attention to catch that. The one with Foley is being marketed as an "autographed card" included with the DVD. So, putting 2 and 2 together, the card probably has everyone's autograph on it but for obvious reasons getting a copy of Foley's was easier than a copy of Bret's.

Also, it's the same cover as the CD they're releasing on 12/18, which doesn't include Bret's theme, but does include Foley's, hence the switch.

Sure, here it is...

Duke Keomuka VS Ricky Starr

Fritz VS Bundy

Flair VS Kerry – Cage

Iceman, Kevin & David VS Freebirds

Iceman VS Buddy Roberts – Hair Match

Fritz, Mike & Kevin VS Freebirds

Chris Adams & Sunshine VS Jimmy Garvin & Precious

Kabuki VS Kamala

Fantastics VS Midnight Express

Chris Adams VS Kevin

Brody & Missing Link VS OMG & Rick Rude

Brody VS Abdullah

Disc 1 also has a bunch of interviews and other vignettes like Jimmy Garvin’s day as David’s valet. Best of all the Badstreet USA music video is included.

Does anyone know when the 1st two Royal Rumble minisets (1: 88 - 92, and 2: 93 - 97) are due to come out? They're listed on the WWE web site, as well as deepdiscount.com, but neither site has release dates.

Does anyone know when the 1st two Royal Rumble minisets (1: 88 - 92, and 2: 93 - 97) are due to come out? They're listed on the WWE web site, as well as deepdiscount.com, but neither site has release dates.

Yeah, as DrVenkman said, they came out this past week. People have been having luck spotting them at Wal-Marts for around $35 and change.

Yeah, as DrVenkman said, they came out this past week. People have been having luck spotting them at Wal-Marts for around $35 and change.

any idea when Part 3 and 4 of the set will be out

any idea when Part 3 and 4 of the set will be out

Once again, January 8, 2008. Amazon.com has both Rumble sets for $34.99 each and you get free shipping as well.

Same thing, I think. At least if you bundle them together it's a $70 purchase, but I'd have to double check that.

Bottom line, you can actually snag all 4 volumes for less than the entire Anthology originally was last year (it was $200+ or so in Canada unless I'm remembering wrong).

Not true, Shawn has always said Vince hinted at the screw job, and Hunter was the 1st one to voice it. Shawn knew what Vince was implying, and was going to agree as soon as Vince asked, but Hunter made it easy for them both.

I was sky-high the night after Bad Blood. I had perhaps the best match of my career, and Hunter, Chyna, and I were going to christen ourselves D-Generation X (which was Vince Russo's idea) on this evening's Raw. Even the thought of having to work with Bret in the coming weeks at Survivor Series couldn't bring me down. I wasn't going to let him get to me.

From my perspective, I had won the battle with Bret. I was main-eventing Pay-Per-Views while he, as champion, was working Tag Team matches. My confidence was back. There wasn't anything that he was going to do or say that I worried about. People had turned on me because they had heard a lot of untrue stores, many of which were made up by Bret. I never once gave my side, because it seemed so transparent to me, and I was the guy who is talking the loudest and defending himself the most must be hiding something.

Working with Hunter and Chyna was so much fun and I didn't want to ruin that. I also have to give Vince Russo a lot of credit. He came up with some great ideas for us. He helped create a real awesome gimmick where we were doing and saying all the things you want to in real life, but can't because it isn't nice and you'd get in a lot of trouble. And we were very popular. As Hunter has said, in the fall of 97, DX was the hottest thing in sports entertainment not named Steve Austin.

We were in Kansas City-another sellout, by the way-and Hunter and I were doing an in-ring promo. I asked to see footage of my victory from Badd Blood. Instead, video from the "curtain call" came on. This was done to reinforce the insubordinate image of DX. Bret came out and confronted me, calling me a homo and a degenerate. (I believe he meant it.) I responded by saying that the only reason Bret was in the main event of Survivor Series was because he was wrestling me. Bret and I were at it again, only this time, our personal animosity towards each other blended perfectly within the storyline we were conducting.

Later that night Hunter beat Bret via count out after I superkicked him while Chyna distracted him. During the match, I started picking my nose with Bret's Canadian flag. I really didn't mean to offend anyone. I just figured it would get me extra heat, which it did.

At this point, I really didn't know what the situation with Bret was. My feeling was that Vince wanted to get the title off him. His contract was taxing the company way too much if he wasn't going to be the man. I didn't know where Steve Austin was in his talks with Vince, I'm sure they already had an idea of where they were going long-range. The ideal situation for Steve was to win the title from a white-hot heel. Bret certainly wasn't one. I, on the other hand, was there. It made sense to me that Vince would want to put the tile on me and have Steve beat me.

All I knew for certain is what I talked about with Vince. I was back into performing and uninterested in the inner workings of what was happening with other guys. I talked to Vince often, but all our discussions concerned created ideas. I was not talking about other guys' business.

A week before Survivor Series I found out Bret was going to WCW. I know Vince suggested Bret go and talk to WCW again. Vince said he would help Bret get a great deal there. Vince was going to give WCW the impression that he was willing to pay Bret even more money, so WCW would up their offer to him. WCW did, and Bret signed with them.

For the last several months, Hunter and I had been speaking to Vince on the phone every Wednesday to go over any creative ideas or concerns we might have. Vince valued our opinions and set aside some time to talk to us. The Wednesday before Survivor Series, we were on our weekly conference call. "Shawn, barring some miraculous change this weekend, we are going to work a DQ. The next night Bret has promised me that he will come out and give up the title. He will go off to WCW< and we can work some sort of tournament or something like that. I'm not comfortable with that, but Bret has given me his work. I feel I can take him at his word. Regardless of the relationship that you and he have, I've always asked him to do business, but he's just not willing to do it for you. I can't change the match with someone else."

I asked Vince why he didn't just have Bret drop the title to someone else the following night on Raw. I recall Vince then saying Bret had creative control over his last thirty days.

"So it's not really just me, is it? He doesn't want to drop the belt before he leaves?"

"No, he doesn't. It would be one thing if it were in the States, but especially in Canada. He doesn't want to do it."

"All of Canada is his? We're not in Calgary. What if I didn't want to do any jobs in the United States?"

"I know, I know, but that's the situation. He has creative control."

There were a few seconds of silence.

"I know I'm not supposed to be talking here," it was Hunter. "Maybe I'm out of line here, but what kind of business is that? Who in the world says, 'I don't want to drop the belt'? You helped him to get a better deal there and he is leaving. That isn't right. That's b.s. How in the world can you trust him? This is the same guy who while he was off, after dropping the title to Shawn, went behind your back and negotiated a deal with WCW only to come back and renegotiate a twenty-year way-out-of-bounds contract with you. He has not done good business since, and now he is leaving to get even more money, by you giving them the impression that you wanted to keep him. We have people leaving in the middle of the night and taking their belts and dropping them in trash cans on WCW. [This was in reference to former women's champion Alundra Blayze, who had done that.] We can't afford for that to happen with the World Wrestling Federation Championship!"

"There's nothing we can do about that. My hands are tied. What can we do about that?"

It was my turn to chime in. "I'll do whatever you want. We'll just take it off him. I'll just swerve him or whatever I have to. You tell me what needs to get done. You and this company have put up with so much from me. My loyalty is here with you. I will do whatever you want."

"What are we talking about, Shawn?"

"Whatever it takes. If we have to do a fast count or get him in a hold and tell someone to ring the bell, I'll do whatever you want me to do."

"That's pretty serious. That has to be a last resort. I still have until Saturday to talk with Bret. That may have to be a real option. This cannot be discussed with anyone. Pat can't know, nobody can know about this but the three of us right now. It's something we will have to talk about."

Hunter and I talked when Vince hung up. We both felt that Vince was already thinking about a possible swerve, but he couldn't ask me to do that. I needed to volunteer.

According to what's written, it sounds like the finish of Montreal was purely Shawn's idea at least according to the book.

I could be wrong on the street date of 12/11 on the WCCW dvd, but my FYE in Michigan had several copies today for 29.99.

Sure, here it is...

Duke Keomuka VS Ricky Starr

Fritz VS Bundy

Flair VS Kerry – Cage

Iceman, Kevin & David VS Freebirds

Iceman VS Buddy Roberts – Hair Match

Fritz, Mike & Kevin VS Freebirds

Chris Adams & Sunshine VS Jimmy Garvin & Precious

Kabuki VS Kamala

Fantastics VS Midnight Express

Chris Adams VS Kevin

Brody & Missing Link VS OMG & Rick Rude

Brody VS Abdullah

Disc 1 also has a bunch of interviews and other vignettes like Jimmy Garvin’s day as David’s valet. Best of all the Badstreet USA music video is included.

It'll be good to see Kevin Von Erich against Chris Adams.

Who in the world says, 'I don't want to drop the belt'?

Hulk Hogan.

And the guy who was sitting next to Hunter.

I was sky-high the night after Bad Blood. I had perhaps the best match of my career, and Hunter, Chyna, and I were going to christen ourselves D-Generation X (which was Vince Russo's idea) on this evening's Raw. Even the thought of having to work with Bret in the coming weeks at Survivor Series couldn't bring me down. I wasn't going to let him get to me.

From my perspective, I had won the battle with Bret. I was main-eventing Pay-Per-Views while he, as champion, was working Tag Team matches. My confidence was back. There wasn't anything that he was going to do or say that I worried about. People had turned on me because they had heard a lot of untrue stores, many of which were made up by Bret. I never once gave my side, because it seemed so transparent to me, and I was the guy who is talking the loudest and defending himself the most must be hiding something.

Working with Hunter and Chyna was so much fun and I didn't want to ruin that. I also have to give Vince Russo a lot of credit. He came up with some great ideas for us. He helped create a real awesome gimmick where we were doing and saying all the things you want to in real life, but can't because it isn't nice and you'd get in a lot of trouble. And we were very popular. As Hunter has said, in the fall of 97, DX was the hottest thing in sports entertainment not named Steve Austin.

We were in Kansas City-another sellout, by the way-and Hunter and I were doing an in-ring promo. I asked to see footage of my victory from Badd Blood. Instead, video from the "curtain call" came on. This was done to reinforce the insubordinate image of DX. Bret came out and confronted me, calling me a homo and a degenerate. (I believe he meant it.) I responded by saying that the only reason Bret was in the main event of Survivor Series was because he was wrestling me. Bret and I were at it again, only this time, our personal animosity towards each other blended perfectly within the storyline we were conducting.

Later that night Hunter beat Bret via count out after I superkicked him while Chyna distracted him. During the match, I started picking my nose with Bret's Canadian flag. I really didn't mean to offend anyone. I just figured it would get me extra heat, which it did.

At this point, I really didn't know what the situation with Bret was. My feeling was that Vince wanted to get the title off him. His contract was taxing the company way too much if he wasn't going to be the man. I didn't know where Steve Austin was in his talks with Vince, I'm sure they already had an idea of where they were going long-range. The ideal situation for Steve was to win the title from a white-hot heel. Bret certainly wasn't one. I, on the other hand, was there. It made sense to me that Vince would want to put the tile on me and have Steve beat me.

All I knew for certain is what I talked about with Vince. I was back into performing and uninterested in the inner workings of what was happening with other guys. I talked to Vince often, but all our discussions concerned created ideas. I was not talking about other guys' business.

A week before Survivor Series I found out Bret was going to WCW. I know Vince suggested Bret go and talk to WCW again. Vince said he would help Bret get a great deal there. Vince was going to give WCW the impression that he was willing to pay Bret even more money, so WCW would up their offer to him. WCW did, and Bret signed with them.

For the last several months, Hunter and I had been speaking to Vince on the phone every Wednesday to go over any creative ideas or concerns we might have. Vince valued our opinions and set aside some time to talk to us. The Wednesday before Survivor Series, we were on our weekly conference call. "Shawn, barring some miraculous change this weekend, we are going to work a DQ. The next night Bret has promised me that he will come out and give up the title. He will go off to WCW< and we can work some sort of tournament or something like that. I'm not comfortable with that, but Bret has given me his work. I feel I can take him at his word. Regardless of the relationship that you and he have, I've always asked him to do business, but he's just not willing to do it for you. I can't change the match with someone else."

I asked Vince why he didn't just have Bret drop the title to someone else the following night on Raw. I recall Vince then saying Bret had creative control over his last thirty days.

"So it's not really just me, is it? He doesn't want to drop the belt before he leaves?"

"No, he doesn't. It would be one thing if it were in the States, but especially in Canada. He doesn't want to do it."

"All of Canada is his? We're not in Calgary. What if I didn't want to do any jobs in the United States?"

"I know, I know, but that's the situation. He has creative control."

There were a few seconds of silence.

"I know I'm not supposed to be talking here," it was Hunter. "Maybe I'm out of line here, but what kind of business is that? Who in the world says, 'I don't want to drop the belt'? You helped him to get a better deal there and he is leaving. That isn't right. That's b.s. How in the world can you trust him? This is the same guy who while he was off, after dropping the title to Shawn, went behind your back and negotiated a deal with WCW only to come back and renegotiate a twenty-year way-out-of-bounds contract with you. He has not done good business since, and now he is leaving to get even more money, by you giving them the impression that you wanted to keep him. We have people leaving in the middle of the night and taking their belts and dropping them in trash cans on WCW. [This was in reference to former women's champion Alundra Blayze, who had done that.] We can't afford for that to happen with the World Wrestling Federation Championship!"

"There's nothing we can do about that. My hands are tied. What can we do about that?"

It was my turn to chime in. "I'll do whatever you want. We'll just take it off him. I'll just swerve him or whatever I have to. You tell me what needs to get done. You and this company have put up with so much from me. My loyalty is here with you. I will do whatever you want."

"What are we talking about, Shawn?"

"Whatever it takes. If we have to do a fast count or get him in a hold and tell someone to ring the bell, I'll do whatever you want me to do."

"That's pretty serious. That has to be a last resort. I still have until Saturday to talk with Bret. That may have to be a real option. This cannot be discussed with anyone. Pat can't know, nobody can know about this but the three of us right now. It's something we will have to talk about."

Hunter and I talked when Vince hung up. We both felt that Vince was already thinking about a possible swerve, but he couldn't ask me to do that. I needed to volunteer.

According to what's written, it sounds like the finish of Montreal was purely Shawn's idea at least according to the book.

Duly noted. I stand corrected