TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DerangedHermit

FOX News planning right-leaning show similar to Daily Show

They're taking more at Dems since they've been in more power. I'm sure that's just a coincidence though and it doesn't show that the Daily Show is anything more than a ultraliberal whack job conspiracy.

Oh yeah, and FACES!

Guest Oedipus Rex

Okay, let's do this thread's next ten posts in one.

Snuffbox: THEY JUST MADE FUN OF JOHN EDWARDS BUT I GUESS THIS IS A LEFTIST SHOW HUH

Invader3K: I still don't think it's Jon Stewart's job to call other news analysis shows "illegitimate" and hide behind his own show's illegitimacy.

Snuffbox: EXCUSE ME I DIDN'T KNOW THE DAILY SHOW WAS A LEFT-WING CONSPIRACY

Kotzenjunge: Crossfire did suck though. I think the new lineup is phat. SITUATION ROOM~!, bitches.

Snuffbox: I BET THE SITUATION IS A LEFTIST CONSPIRACY TOO, RIGHT TOADIES?

Invader3K: I just shot a Mexican on my lawn.

Snuffbox: I GUESS JON STEWART IS SUCH A LIBERAL RIGHT?

NoCalMike: *long article about Tucker Carlson's checkered past, eats a shitload of nachos*

Snuffbox: I GUESS JON STEWART MADE A FUNNY FACE OH NO THIS IS SURELY A LIBERAL SHOW

Snuffbox: TALKING POINT

Jack Cafferty wasn't on today. The Situation Room isn't the same without the old school hardnosed journalist that actually says what he thinks. At least there's still Lou Dobbs.

And I couldn't possibly defend CNN's lineup while Anderson Cooper still exists.

Invader3K: I just shot a Mexican on my lawn.

:D

Also, I don't think I hate Anderson Cooper. He does shows on topics out of the mainstream sometimes, like a show on the Democratic Republic of Congo. The other night he was doing a show on the Amazon rainforests. I don't really watch it often, though.

I'm curious to know what kinds of things they'll be making fun of on a conservative-leaning comedy show.

There are plenty of targets. The most amusing targets of all are leftist professors, whose lectures and writings alone are comedy enough. The newest Harvard president, schools that ban tag because it involves touching, hollywood morons, fidel apologists, che fans, imbecillic protesters, dorm room leftists, etc.

I'm curious to know what kinds of things they'll be making fun of on a conservative-leaning comedy show.

There are plenty of targets. The most amusing targets of all are leftist professors, whose lectures and writings alone are comedy enough. The newest Harvard president, schools that ban tag because it involves touching, hollywood morons, fidel apologists, che fans, imbecillic protesters, dorm room leftists, etc.

You really, really hate your college, don't you?

Guest DogOn

So they're going to make fun of people who are smarter then they are, and people who want freedom. I'm looking forward to this.

Guest Oedipus Rex

All liberals are smarter then [sic] all conservatives, yes.

I am going to concede that being funny and conservative is hard as fuck, though. Conservatism is generally cranky, pragmatic, and dismal. You need to be exceptionally talented to make right-leaning humor really work: Dave Barry and P.J. O'Rourke pull it off, but they're more libertarian than conservative anyway, and Dave Barry is usually more concerned with "Spontaneously Combusting Pop-Tarts would be a great name for a punk rock band" than really getting his feet dirty with political humor (though Dave Barry Hits Below The Beltway is fantastic). Dennis Miller can make it work sometimes, but for a while there he was just being reactionary and love-it-or-leave-it, and that's no fun. I think P.J. once lamented how he inadvertently gave Republicans the idea that they could be funny.

Nah, Davis isn't too bad, though you could run four seasons of a comedy show just reading the assigned readings of sociology courses out loud.

It almost feels like an snl skit making fun of conservatives trying to make fun of liberals. this is sad.

Guest Oedipus Rex
It almost feels like an snl skit making fun of conservatives trying to make fun of liberals

It did kinda feel like The Colbert Report for a few seconds there.

See, I told you it was hard. I gotta believe someone out there can do a better job of comically dismantling the America's Man-Crush phenomenon than this. BO? Ugh. I think the laugh track makes it even worse still.

TDS also makes it their business to make fun of everyday people as well, though I conceed that that may not be what they're know for, anymore.

Guest Oedipus Rex

The title is also a blatant ripoff of This Hour Has 22 Minutes, which I've never seen, but is probably funnier. That's Canada's "look how much Americans don't know about Canada" show, right?

That was fucking pathetic. I am not even a watcher of The Daily Show although I have seen it on ocassion, but from my memory, it isn't a vehicle for the political ideology in anyway and tends to make fun of anyone who happens to do and/or say something stupid. To go even further, I'd say the Daily Show makes more fun on politicians' poor play on words and usage of words in the inappropriate and/or absurd way rather then someone's politics, in other words, "hey everyone, watch this guy say something kooky" yet this Fox News thing is basically a smarmy retort to something that wasn't even directed towards politics in the first place.

The title is also a blatant ripoff of This Hour Has 22 Minutes, which I've never seen, but is probably funnier. That's Canada's "look how much Americans don't know about Canada" show, right?

As far as I know, it's not just about the ignorance of Americans, but it also has to deal with Canadian political issues of the day. I don't watch it very often.

You're saying the Fox thing was funnier than This Hour? Ridiculous. Greg Thomey can't not be funny.

Also, it's basically The Daily Show, but the American jokes are fairly mild. What you're likely thinking of was Rick Mercer's Talking To Americans, which was a one-hour special of what you just said. Mercer, at the time, was on 22 Minutes, but has his own show now.

Guest Oedipus Rex

You're saying the Fox thing was funnier than This Hour? Ridiculous.

No, I meant 22 was funnier. Canadians know comedy.

Nah, Davis isn't too bad, though you could run four seasons of a comedy show just reading the assigned readings of sociology courses out loud.

As someone who has a college minor in sociology, I'd be lying if I didn't admit some of the classes felt like they were sponsored by MoveOn.org. Obviously, given my current political orientation, I didn't disagree with a lot of it, but most of it was pretty one-sided.

Kotzenjunge: Crossfire did suck though. I think the new lineup is phat. SITUATION ROOM~!, bitches.

The Situation Room has also taken a hit in my mind now that they've changed the opening. No sense of occasion or anything now. You're just plopped into the show. Argh.

I agree about sociology. I only took one class but I kinda viewed it as a joke. We had a guy come in and talk about a living wage & I softballed him with some basic economic questions & the professor seemed to think I was somewhere to the right of Mussolini.

Guest Oedipus Rex

I'm taking social problems. I've already cemented my position as an evil fascist by asking why all the statistics in our book only count blacks and whites without including anyone else in America.