TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Refute this statement and I'll tear you a new asshole

Deadwood is the best tv show of this decade, possibly of all time and Ian McShane's performance of Al Swearengen is the greatest role in the history of television. Lost, Sopranos, The Shield, all of them pale in comparison to this show. There has never been a bad episode or even a "throwaway" episode for that matter. It's like a beautiful book that has already been written and week by week you're seeing another chapter unfold. Best cast of all time for that matter too.

Bring it.

Deadwood is the best tv show of this decade, possibly of all time and Ian McShane's performance of Al Swearengen is the greatest role in the history of television. Lost, Sopranos, The Shield, all of them pale in comparison to this show. There has never been a bad episode or even a "throwaway" episode for that matter. It's like a beautiful book that has already been written and week by week you're seeing another chapter unfold. Best cast of all time for that matter too.

Bring it.

Haven't seen much of Deadwood but I've got to say that unquestionably that The Wire is the best drama on television. It transcends being a simple television drama and becomes an incredibly detailed look at the city of Baltimore. I don't think there's ever been a bad episode and there literally is not a weak spot in the cast- everybody serves up a purpose or as the specials HBO airs to hype the show- everything is connected.

I'm not gonna disagree but the fact that I haven't seen Season Three of The Wire prevents me from totally agreeing with you. I will concede that if there is a show that could rival Deadwood it's easily The Wire.

God what I wouldn't give for a whacky episode of The Wire where a time machine transports Bodie, Marlo, Snoop, Chris and Omar back to Deadwood.

I'm not gonna disagree but the fact that I haven't seen Season Three of The Wire prevents me from totally agreeing with you. I will concede that if there is a show that could rival Deadwood it's easily The Wire.

God what I wouldn't give for a whacky episode of The Wire where a time machine transports Bodie, Marlo, Snoop, Chris and Omar back to Deadwood.

Season Three is the weakest season, IMO. Though, it's still pretty fucking great. It feels a bit like a rehash of Season One and a set up for Season Four. Still definitely worth seeing, the last three or four episodes are incredibly compelling storytelling.

I think Season Two of The Wire is underrated, a lot of people didn't like it since it dealt a lot with something other than The Barksdale organization and what The Wire usually deals with but I liked it for that reason. It's definitely on par with Season One and the current season.

Alright here's my statement; Despite having jumped the shark 7-8 years ago and being way past its prime, The Simpsons still is among the top 5 best comedies on network television (Top 10 on television overall). Even though the plots are incredibly insipid, the show is still good for a couple of chuckles, which sadly, is a couple more than about 75% of sitcoms on television. This isn't a testement to The Simpsons quality but just a reflection on the sad state of the American sitcom.

The Simpsons are going to end up being the Ric Flair of television. Good early years, amazing during it's prime and generally regarded as the best ever during said period but so bogged down by its undeniably shitty later years that it's legacy will be forever tarnished.

The Simpsons are going to end up being the Ric Flair of television. Good early years, amazing during it's prime and generally regarded as the best ever during said period but so bogged down by its undeniably shitty later years that it's legacy will be forever tarnished.

That quote there will be the one that best sums the title of this topic. That quote is so absolutely fact that it's absolutely ir-refutable.

I'd agree with the Ric Flair statement. Except I'd add that once in a great while, there's a brief peek that shows you a little tiny glimpse of what made it great during it's hey day and then it's followed by a bunch of stuff that's undeniably shitty.

But I'd also disagree, while the latter days of The Simpsons and Ric Flair's careers are embarassing. I don't think they tarnish or bog down the show's reputation. In spite of lasting decades after their prime (Well The Simpsons has almost lasted a decade since it's prime), it's still undisputably one of the greatest shows of all time. In my mind, the peak years of The Simpsons and Ric Flair completely trump the crappy later years. I don't think anybody can deny that Ric Flair and The Simpsons are some of the greatest in their respective fields.

But I still stand by my statement that every new episode of The Simpsons elicits a couple of chuckles from me. But I still maintain that it's one of the five best sitcoms on network televisiion. I can name three off the top of my head (The Office, My Name is Earl and Scrubs) that are definitely better than The Simpsons.

Again, it's sad that a show that reached it's peak almost ten years ago is still one of the better sitcoms on TV. I think the American sitcom is just slowly coming up from hitting rock bottom and it's going to be a long way back if it ever gets there.

Bring it.

I fucking tried to fucking watch this cocksucker, but I couldn't get past the goddamn fucking dialogue... it was a fucking cunt. You know what I mean, asshole? I can't quite put my goddamn finger on it, but something about that shit just didn't quite fucking work. Fuck shit cunt asshole motherfucker.

Bring it.

I fucking tried to fucking watch this cocksucker, but I couldn't get past the goddamn fucking dialogue... it was a fucking cunt. You know what I mean, asshole? I can't quite put my goddamn finger on it, but something about that shit just didn't quite fucking work. Fuck shit cunt asshole motherfucker.

If you can't handle bad language then you are a little motherfucking, cocksucking pussy!

The Simpsons has been better the last 2 years or so than it had been for a while. The movie is going to be the killer though..just like the bright idea for the X Files movie (which was a decent movie..dont get me wrong) but it just ruins the TV show experience when you watch it as a movie. And saying its one of the top 5 comedies isn't saying much given the oh so stiff competition in the comedy genre. My Name is Earl = #1, Id stick Simpsons #2..then its pretty much I dont watch the rest so I cant comment.

Ive never seen Deadwood..so I cant comment on that. My personal favorite of this decade has been 24...but you'll get no argument from me that there weren't any throwaway shows or bad episodes of it. The cast has always been up in the air because it changes from year to year with Kieffer Sutherland being the man of the show and everyone else being fodder for being shot at any given moment. The last 2 years they've beefed up the supporting cast a lot, but its still no question the Jack Bauer show, and you dont fuck with Jack Bauer.

i saw the pilot of deadwood & was bored dearly. i think i'm not equipped to enjoy much television at all, really. maybe its just television dramas. because i love night court & no one loves night court.

I do agree Al is probably the greatest character on tv, but The Wire is a better show. It does a much better job of progressing several characters stories while keeping them incredibly compelling.

I thought Season 3 of The Wire was better than 1&2, so definately check it out.

I do love Deadwood though.

Deadwood is far to Demographically driven and viewer-personality driven to be the best. The Soprano's is better soely because it takes what is a niche viewership premise and makes it mass acceptable.

I like Deadwood very much, but I am in their slim target demo. If I asked 5 random people, only 1 or 2 would agree with me becuase the odds are I would run into too many people who Deadwood isnt for. Far to niche viewership.

Family Guy is so overrated. It's just not funny anymore and was so much better before the modern public found out about it. Once one single person spouted off "I love their inside jokes on 80's culture", we got that every two fucking minutes! It's not as frequent now, however it's definately lost it's steam. If The Simpsons is Ric Flair, Family Guy is Rob Van Dam. Had a huge following and was pretty entertaining at first, but will never be the same again.

Family Guy is so overrated. It's just not funny anymore and was so much better before the modern public found out about it. Once one single person spouted off "I love their inside jokes on 80's culture", we got that every two fucking minutes! It's not as frequent now, however it's definately lost it's steam. If The Simpsons is Ric Flair, Family Guy is Rob Van Dam. Had a huge following and was pretty entertaining at first, but will never be the same again.

A fucking men. Family Guy was a lot more enjoyable when it was on air during its first run and no one was watching it. Then the DVD came out and we all had to show our annoying friends.

I haven't even watched Family Guy regularly since it came back on. I've seen an episode here or there but it just isn't the same. Stupid stupid damn teenagers, always overquoting stuff!

A fucking men. Family Guy was a lot more enjoyable when it was on air during its first run and no one was watching it. Then the DVD came out and we all had to show our annoying friends.

I haven't even watched Family Guy regularly since it came back on. I've seen an episode here or there but it just isn't the same. Stupid stupid damn teenagers, always overquoting stuff!

Family Guy is to The Simpsons what Unhappily Ever After was to Married... with Children - a blatantly inferior copy that had it's moments. And since I know you're thinking "what moments?" about Unhappily - Nikki Cox's boobs.

Bring it.

If you can't handle bad language then you are a little motherfucking, cocksucking pussy!

I don't mind swearing. It's just that I really doubt people talked that way back then. I know the west wasn't some G-rated Disney show, but this seems to be as rediculous. Anyway, I've only seen one episode and was underwhelmed.

So go fuck yourself!

Oz > The Rest of HBO Original Series

Listen I've only seen bits and pieces of Oz, and most of it seems to be later years. But the sheer ridiculousness and far fetchedness really didn't interest me. That and the anal rape. The anal rape is a big turn off.

Oz > The Rest of HBO Original Series

Listen I've only seen bits and pieces of Oz, and most of it seems to be later years. But the sheer ridiculousness and far fetchedness really didn't interest me. That and the anal rape. The anal rape is a big turn off.

I am sure that could be said about every television show on HBO and on Television for that matter.

I mean, from what I've read about Oz in reviews, it sounds like an R rated male soap opera. The plot sounds ridiculous. I mean reading about the later seasons, the plots reach an almost Passions level of absurdity. Granted, I haven't seen more than 10-15 minutes of it at a time. I can't argue too much against a show I haven't watched.

I don't mind swearing. It's just that I really doubt people talked that way back then.

From what I've read, no they didn't swear like they do on the show. However, they did use a lot of "period" swearing, which Deadwood used at first, but it sounded so ridiculous (Yosemite Sam-ish) that they had to scrap it in favor of using the swearing of today to recreate the correct "feel" of the language.

I mean, from what I've read about Oz in reviews, it sounds like an R rated male soap opera. The plot sounds ridiculous. I mean reading about the later seasons, the plots reach an almost Passions level of absurdity. Granted, I haven't seen more than 10-15 minutes of it at a time. I can't argue too much against a show I haven't watched.

I think a lot of it has to do that Oz's main competition(during it's best years) was with The Sopranos which is such a "sexy" theme and contains such familiar subject matter, I mean who doesn't like "mob drama" I know a lot of people that refuse to watch Oz because the fear of "gay sex" well guess what, it's about Maxium Security PRISON, the shit happens.

I dont think any other show has kept up the quality throughout its series like The Wire. There are no throwaway episodes and it's never boring.

The Sopranos have boring seasons, so there's no way that can be at the top of the list.

Oz got too crazy and retarded toward the end, but the earlier stuff might make the list (not number one though).

The Wire is the realist show on TV and the best written probably ever.